Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Barside said:

For a good all-rounder £650 is about par these days on the laptop market.

Yeah seems that way just about getting the right processor really as the more commercial chains Argos and Currys/pc world sell a lot of tat at stupid prices and pass them off as powerful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those stores do like to brand anything with a graphics card in it as a gaming laptop, terrible practice but folk clearly must still buy them thinking they’re getting better than console performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely see a computer good enough for FM for under 650. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don' have alot of money so looking for the best laptop around 500 quid if anyone can help cheers

Edited by gavbuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smurf said:

I rarely see a computer good enough for FM for under 650. 

And hats the point it’s pure overkill buying a laptop just for fm in my opinion unless you plan on doing work on it etc. I’ve got a work laptop which isn’t bad but can’t put fm on it that would be sneered at plus it’s a   Hp probook and slow as hell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 07:47, Smurf said:

My Graphics card is a Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 2gb 128bit GDDR5

This one

https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-mini

 

Edited by toon army 06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 11 Stunden schrieb Maseman27:

And hats the point it’s pure overkill buying a laptop just for fm in my opinion unless you plan on doing work on it etc. I’ve got a work laptop which isn’t bad but can’t put fm on it that would be sneered at plus it’s a   Hp probook and slow as hell

When buying a new Laptop now I would try to optimize it for the most demanding application I regularly want to use. If that’s FM then this asks for a good processor and dedicated GPU.

But to keep the perspective in all these discussions about whether current HQ vs U processors are better (and I totally see Smurf’s point when he hints to the fact that you should aim at an HQ if it’s the same or not much more money to spend), as a very occasional gamer I was very satisfied with my HP Probook 4530 (until it passed away last week), at least 5 years old, 2.1 or 2.3 Ghz but only one core (could have been the i3 2310 but not sure exactly), no dedicated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000) but added an SSD and upgraded to 8GM RAM. I was able to play FM18 (Touch version) with 3D matches (lowest Details - not exactly fluid but it was ok for me), 5 leagues in reasonable speed.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-probook-4530s/specs/

(no, don't follow the link and BUY this Notebook - it's OLD - but the series is still pretty good, though not made for Gamers)

So anybody with a limited budget should still of course make sure to meet the minimum specs but if you’re ok with limiting yourself in terms of leagues loaded, 3D details and/ or longevity of the save, FM allows many ways to enjoy a save on a not-so-fancy notebook.

Edited by vossmaj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8-1-2018 at 16:47, Smurf said:

Without a monitor


Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7640X (4.0GHz) 6MB Cache ()
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
M.2 SSD Drive
500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND M.2 SSD (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET 2011/2066 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Price £1,328.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/intel-x299-pc/PUdYPfxsHB/

What do you think of this list? For FM and other games: https://tweakers.net/gallery/716775/wenslijst/?wish_id=1541997 It's a little cheaper for me including the shipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Maseman27 said:

And hats the point it’s pure overkill buying a laptop just for fm in my opinion unless you plan on doing work on it etc. I’ve got a work laptop which isn’t bad but can’t put fm on it that would be sneered at plus it’s a   Hp probook and slow as hell

That's your opinion and I appreciate that - but many people buy a laptop purely for FM - including myself, and hundreds of people in this thread have also said as much in the last few years. 

FM requires a decent laptop - and if you're only playing FM then you need to put a bit of cash into it.

1 hour ago, toon army 06 said:

My Graphics card is a Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 2gb 128bit GDDR5

This one

https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-mini

 

Thanks for letting us know - how are you getting on with it?

21 minutes ago, Craduco said:

What do you think of this list? For FM and other games: https://tweakers.net/gallery/716775/wenslijst/?wish_id=1541997 It's a little cheaper for me including the shipping.

Very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smurf said:

That's your opinion and I appreciate that - but many people buy a laptop purely for FM - including myself, and hundreds of people in this thread have also said as much in the last few years. 

FM requires a decent laptop - and if you're only playing FM then you need to put a bit of cash into it.

Thanks for letting us know - how are you getting on with it?

Very good.

Yeah not knocking it as I’m an avid FM fan played every single one for multiple hours like everyone on here. But you don’t do anything else on your chosen laptop other than FM then? 

 

Oh oh forgot to say thanks for the hp omen it’s in its way seems the perfect combo for what I need fm and spinning up some vm’s for kali Linux etc 

Edited by Maseman27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do a bit of graphic design as it's my profession - however, I rarely work on the laptop.

Some internet surfing, youtube, etc. music and all that - booking holidays etc. 

Other than that it's mainly used for FM. 

I'm putting together €2000 slowly to get my next machine. It's overkill, but should last me 10 years. 

I would like to perhaps play other games - but I do have a playstation for that. 

Plus a wife - so it's getting less and less gaming time as the years go on - sigh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2018 at 07:27, LATB said:

Further to the above this looks good for everything I need including the SSD part, which I read a few pages back is ideal for FM? 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-aspire-vx-15-core-i5-7300hq-2.5ghz-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1050-nh.gm2ek.003/version.asp

Are Acer laptops any good?

Edit - I’ve gone with Smurf’s recommendation of the ASUS so ignore. 

Edited by LATB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LATB said:

Anyone? @Smurf do you have an opinion on Acers at all? 

No opinions on Acers or other computers - just look at the specs and go by them.

That one looks really good - can only find 1 better for an extra £50

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/pc-specialist-cosmos-vi-bd15-core-i7-7300hq-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-ga-pcs-l1179007/version.asp

 

But in saying that - I'd go for the Acer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. 

 

I am after a bit of advice on a new laptop. 95% of the time I will be using it to play fm on it, but will also want to use it to possibly stream the Xbox one to it when I can't be bothered going and sitting on my lads bed. I have been to all the usual shops and asked peoples advice but all I still don't know what to buy. I was hoping I could pick something up for about £500 but looking at the last few posts all the laptops mentioned on here are £700+. I have seen this laptop....

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-250-g6-i5-7200u-2.5ghz-8gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-full-hd-windows-10-laptop-2sy46es/version.asp?refsource=LDadwords&refsource=Ldadwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JbXvVrdIA6F8_6jGpPcs31K7IlPd4b6ye-6E_S7SZcmofqwnx7ivmEaApNnEALw_wcB

 

And was wondering if someone can tell me if this would be suitable?

 

Or any other advice is welcome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not great for FM.

What way do you play? A few leauges/divisions/small database over a short career (up to 10 years maybe?) might be ok. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf.

Thanks for the time you take to help members such as me!

Looking into buying a new FM / gaming laptop, and just wondering if the Dell Outlet deals are much good? They've currently offer an extra 20% off the Inspiron 15 models.

I've interested in a scratched and dented Inspiron 15 7577 with the following specs...

 

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad Core,up to 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache, 45W)
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz SDRAM DDR4 Non-ECC
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
256GB PCIe Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

Internal UK/Irish Backlit Keyboard

 

Can be bought for £845 (+plus 3% Top Cashback which would knock a few quid off again!).

Thanks again for your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I do a bit of graphic design as it's my profession - however, I rarely work on the laptop.

Some internet surfing, youtube, etc. music and all that - booking holidays etc. 

Other than that it's mainly used for FM. 

I'm putting together €2000 slowly to get my next machine. It's overkill, but should last me 10 years. 

I would like to perhaps play other games - but I do have a playstation for that. 

Plus a wife - so it's getting less and less gaming time as the years go on - sigh!

Haha women always get in the way my mrs and kids tend to reduce my gaming! Yeah think it’s all about future proofing now for the next 5 years minimum anyway that’s how long mine has lasted and is still going but the processor is AMD and a poor one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi smurf,

Thanks for the reply. 

I haven't played in years, I used to play it online against a mate every night. I wanted to get back into it and I suppose I would  like to be able to play it properly and my current laptop didn't do that years ago so it has no chance now.

As a few people have posted on here, it may seem a bit daft to solely buy a laptop that cost £650+ just to play fm but that will be the main reason to buy it.  I was originally hoping to spend £500 max but it looks like I am a million miles away from that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, puyung said:

Hi smurf,

Thanks for the reply. 

I haven't played in years, I used to play it online against a mate every night. I wanted to get back into it and I suppose I would  like to be able to play it properly and my current laptop didn't do that years ago so it has no chance now.

As a few people have posted on here, it may seem a bit daft to solely buy a laptop that cost £650+ just to play fm but that will be the main reason to buy it.  I was originally hoping to spend £500 max but it looks like I am a million miles away from that?

 

https://www.ebuyer.com/803890-msi-pl62-7rc-gaming-laptop-9s7-16jd21-068

 

this will be right up your street I was gonna get this then they put it up to £650 in Monday now it’s back to

559

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Smurf said:

That's your opinion and I appreciate that - but many people buy a laptop purely for FM - including myself, and hundreds of people in this thread have also said as much in the last few years. 

FM requires a decent laptop - and if you're only playing FM then you need to put a bit of cash into it.

Thanks for letting us know - how are you getting on with it?

Very good.

I haven't been able to use it yet because my monitor is a VGA cable.

Will the monitor you recommended work with my card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have been looking to buy a new PC for a long time now. I need a laptop, as I have to take train/flight with work. I love to play FM, and really want the PC to run it OK/good. 

I have been looking at Surface Book 2-i-1 i5 256 GB, as i can get this a little cheaper trough work. 

Any recomendations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks I'm wondering if I could run a fairly large database on the following. I'm pretty cluless at computers and bought this off a friend.

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20180113-014253.png

Edited by Tallpaul112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Maseman27 said:

https://www.ebuyer.com/803890-msi-pl62-7rc-gaming-laptop-9s7-16jd21-068

 

this will be right up your street I was gonna get this then they put it up to £650 in Monday now it’s back to

559

Thanks for this Smurf! That looks more like what I'm after. 

The only other thing I've considered is ssd. But I have no idea if this will matter with fm? What do you Think?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, puyung said:

Thanks for this Smurf! That looks more like what I'm after. 

The only other thing I've considered is ssd. But I have no idea if this will matter with fm? What do you Think?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Ssd will help with load times between games etc and just make things a lot quicker but you can pick them up cheap at a later point if need be and if not hold out for a better laptop with it in

Edited by Maseman27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:11, thnigelfc said:

Guys

Will be looking for a new laptop over the next couple of months.

Budget will be £700-£800 would like it to run a few leagues say 5-6 with ease.

also if it's at all possible I would like one without a webcam?

TIA

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

 Thanks for answering Smurf, Do you have any decent laptops with optical drive and NO webcam?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd have to take a look for yourself - the basics are there - stick to the same processor, ram and graphcis card - and then get which ever one you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

You'd have to take a look for yourself - the basics are there - stick to the same processor, ram and graphcis card - and then get which ever one you want. 

Ok Thanks

 

 

Edited by thnigelfc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

can you please advise if this laptop would be able to run fm, usually only on 3-4 leagues with high database. Medium (or low if need be) graphics.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6734356

 

(im also looking at a macbook air 13 inch which would be useful for other things ( i have the money for this too) would the macbook air run fm at a relatively quick speed?)

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dean1967 said:

Hi 

can you please advise if this laptop would be able to run fm, usually only on 3-4 leagues with high database. Medium (or low if need be) graphics.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6734356

 

(im also looking at a macbook air 13 inch which would be useful for other things ( i have the money for this too) would the macbook air run fm at a relatively quick speed?)

TIA

This is better than any MacBook Pro 13 inch ...and cheaper!

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 14" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
M.2 SSD Drive
500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND M.2 SSD (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND


Price £1,037.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/defianceiii-14/3m8hwTJaqm/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Smurf said:

This is better than any MacBook Pro 13 inch ...and cheaper!

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 14" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
M.2 SSD Drive
500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND M.2 SSD (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND


Price £1,037.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/defianceiii-14/3m8hwTJaqm/

Hi mate, what about this one i also asked about? Id kuch prefer something like this as its cheaper

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6734356

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2018 at 20:15, LATB said:

This is on its way to me now, how long can I expect it to last? 

Just when I think I've found what I'm after something else pop's up. 

Could anyone let me know they're opinion on which of these would be the best please.

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

Or

https://ao.com/product/9s716j9622073-msi-laptop-black-52591-251.aspx

I need to man up and make a decision! :)

Edited by puyung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, puyung said:

Just when I think I've found what I'm after something else pop's up. 

Could anyone let me know they're opinion on which of these would be the best please.

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

Or

https://ao.com/product/9s716j9622073-msi-laptop-black-52591-251.aspx

I need to man up and make a decision! :)

https://www.ebuyer.com/803891-msi-gl62m-7rdx-gaming-laptop-9s7-16j962-1868?mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=245015965607&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrDhyFcKg21k3pzHVlIedt68o1iezEXBe62SbKK9DqIhmylW_OZCzXEaAgdmEALw_wcB

 

i just saved you £100 exact model from

ebuyer  

 

actually the Ebuyer one doesn’t have a ssd in so you’d be looking at £50-70 so probably makes sense going for the AO 

Edited by Maseman27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Maseman27 said:

https://www.ebuyer.com/803891-msi-gl62m-7rdx-gaming-laptop-9s7-16j962-1868?mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=245015965607&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrDhyFcKg21k3pzHVlIedt68o1iezEXBe62SbKK9DqIhmylW_OZCzXEaAgdmEALw_wcB

 

i just saved you £100 exact model from

ebuyer  

 

actually the Ebuyer one doesn’t have a ssd in so you’d be looking at £50-70 so probably makes sense going for the AO 

So does that mean the ssd is more important that the i7?

Edited by puyung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absoutely do not compromise the processor over a hard drive.

You can replace the hard drive later on down the road - it's very difficult to replace the processor.

Go for the better processor every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Absoutely do not compromise the processor over a hard drive.

You can replace the hard drive later on down the road - it's very difficult to replace the processor.

Go for the better processor every time.

So this is the winner?

://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

Not bad to say I didn't want to spend over £500!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that one is 800 so I don't know if you went over or not - however, it's a fine machine and you'll have no problems that I can forsee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smurf said:

Well that one is 800 so I don't know if you went over or not - however, it's a fine machine and you'll have no problems that I can forsee. 

Smurf, you've been a gent. Now on to my next mission of getting LEEDS back in the champions league. 

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah - yes, my beloved Leeds! Need to do a save with them soon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Absoutely do not compromise the processor over a hard drive.

You can replace the hard drive later on down the road - it's very difficult to replace the processor.

Go for the better processor every time.

Which one would you go for 

https://www.ebuyer.com/803890-msi-pl62-7rc-gaming-laptop-9s7-16jd21-068

 

or

 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/1AN98EAABU(C)-Grade-A---HP-OMEN-15-ax202na_2288814.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what purpose? You looking to buy or looking to test me???

Edited by Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Smurf said:

For what purpose? You looking to buy or looking to test me???

Lol test you on what ?? 

Anyway......For fm purposes as I might send the one I’ve ordered back as these seem good enough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one near 700 is the better option.

But if you only have 600 then that option is fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

The one near 700 is the better option.

But if you only have 600 then that option is fine. 

Cheers! Gonna decide tonight when I get in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm struggling as son wants a laptop for homework exam stuff but looking to play FM also but just after Xmas ive only got a budget of £300-400 so struggling to find a decent one as need to buy from Argos or John Lewis due to some vouchers I have left over. 

This any good? 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7252820

 

My laptop is a Lenovo Z51-70 which runs FM perfectly fine but not sure how this compares.

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

 

Edited by coop76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, coop76 said:

Well I'm struggling as son wants a laptop for homework exam stuff but looking to play FM also but just after Xmas ive only got a budget of £300-400 so struggling to find a decent one as need to buy from Argos or John Lewis due to some vouchers I have left over. 

This any good? 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7252820

 

My laptop is a Lenovo Z51-70 which runs FM perfectly fine but not sure how this compares.

 

Thanks in advance for any help.

 

The processor in that one is fairly bad, it's only a dual core, which would be painfully slow with FM nowadays. It'd just about run FM, but you'd barely manage a couple of leagues with it. The graphics card is also fairly poor, only really suitable for office work.

It'd be fine for the homework bit, but would be frustrating/painful to use for FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

The processor in that one is fairly bad, it's only a dual core, which would be painfully slow with FM nowadays. It'd just about run FM, but you'd barely manage a couple of leagues with it. The graphics card is also fairly poor, only really suitable for office work.

It'd be fine for the homework bit, but would be frustrating/painful to use for FM.

Thanks I'll have a look again then try for a better processor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...