Domagoj Vida defies fifa warning about making geopolitical statements and risks further punishment

decapitated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44771842

Croatia's Domagoj Vida can play against England in Wednesday's World Cup semi-final despite featuring in a pro-Ukraine video.

Fifa outlaws political statements and said it had issued the Besiktas centre-back, 29, with a warning after the video was published online following Croatia's win against hosts Russia.

Coach Ognjen Vukojevic posted the video and has now been sent home by Croatia.

In the clip Vida, who used to play for Dynamo Kiev, said: "Glory to Ukraine!"

Vukojevic, a scout and former player at the Ukraine club, added: "This victory is for Dynamo (Kiev) and for Ukraine! Croatia onwards!"

The video drew criticism in Russia and the phrases used had previously been used by anti-Russian politicians in Ukraine.

Vida, who scored an extra-time goal against Russia and also converted a penalty in the shoot-out, has apologised, the Croatia Football Federation said.

Earlier in the tournament Switzerland trio Granit Xhaka, Xherdan Shaqiri and Stephan Lichtsteiner were fined by Fifa for breaking rules over political celebrations in their match against Serbia.

Now that would have been the end of it, until they made a 2nd video in which Vida and member of coaching staff Olic repeat 'glory for Ukraine' and add 'burn Belgrade' as an extra measure.

I have a lot of sympathy with the situation Ukraine finds itself in, but International football is kept apolitical for a reason and to do this a 2nd time after FIFA gave a warning is idiotic especially adding the 'Burn Belgrade' line. I suppose I'm biased given we are playing Croatia next, but if an England player behaved like this, risking a suspension (regardless of my views on international politics) before the biggest game in 20 years, I'd be somewhat annoyed. I'd be interested in @GunmaN1905s views on the matter.

This is most likely another video from after the match against Russia. Vida and his pivo :D, such a moron. Although the latter is nothing new, I believe at Dinamo he was already kicked out of a players bus once due to drinking before a game. 

That line, "Belgrade burns" is taken out of context. Here it means nothing bad, actually it's quite opposite. Like he's having such a good time, atmosphere is heated up (in a good way) so it burns. We usually say it when we go out with buddies in a bar/tavern, have a few drinks more than we should and drunkenly shout "Kafana gori/Tavern burn". 

Here, as i understand, he's talking to his mates in a bar called Belgrade in Kyev so there's that Belgrade Burn line. 

The best move was removing Vukojević from the staff and Vida is still there. :lol:

Tactical diversion from FA masterminds. You either sanction both of them or you don't do anything.

This WC is just a proof of the deal with the devil. So much unexplainable things going their way.

3 hours ago, kpain16 said:

All what was needed was Brozović and you would have NT people with the lowest IQ in one place. 

Don't insult the chauffeur.

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

The best move was removing Vukojević from the staff and Vida is still there. :lol:

Tactical diversion from FA masterminds. You either sanction both of them or you don't do anything.

Nah, I can actually understand it. They are not on the same level. First of all the you don't send home one of your best defenders, especially seen the fact that Croatia's defence imo is bang average. Secondly, a player can make mistakes, but a staff member should be an example to the players, always. If staf members goes in and join on specific controversial behaviour by a player, that's the dumbest example you can set. I think they handled this well by fining Vida and sending Vukojević home. 

Sure, position does. Except in Croatia. Our president celebrates with a victory dance in front of her Russian colleague, our FA president is a puppet, and a person representing Croatian FA was sentenced to 3 years in prison like weeks ago. And is sitting next to the president in Russia. 

2 hours ago, kpain16 said:

Sure, position does. Except in Croatia. Our president celebrates with a victory dance in front of her Russian colleague, our FA president is a puppet, and a person representing Croatian FA was sentenced to 3 years in prison like weeks ago. And is sitting next to the president in Russia. 

Hey, that's pretty much a norm for all of our countries, not just Croatia :D 

Except for dancing. Our former president was a gravedigger, current one war mongering lawyer. FA President was a smuggler during the war and sanctions. You at least got someone with some roots in football. :D 

Whether you support whatever stance he's trying to take or not, you have to say that he's incredibly stupid for doing it for a second time.

Reminds me of the ridiculous and needless Poppy-gate hilarity from a few years ago.  The FA (and the other home nation associations, tagging along like wee brothers) asked if they could have poppies on their shirts, and FIFA said no.  Tantrums ensued, they did it anyway, and they were fined.  Again, like with Vida, like the rules or not, you really can't blame anyone for what happens, particularly when you're warned once.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44778884

Football's governing body is "looking into" a new video of Croatia defender Domagoj Vida in which he appears to again say "Glory to Ukraine!".

The video was posted online after the win against Russia that took Croatia into a semi-final against England.

The 29-year-old, who used to play for Dynamo Kiev, has already been warned by Fifa for a previous clip, which led to coach Ognjen Vukojevic being sent home by Croatia.

Fifa outlaws political statements.

Croatia play England in their World Cup semi-final on Wednesday (19:00 BST).

The first video drew criticism in Russia as the phrases used had previously been used by anti-Russian politicians in Ukraine.

Vida, who scored an extra-time goal against Russia and also converted a penalty in the shootout, later apologised.

In the second clip, Vida can also be heard to say "Belgrade burn".

Earlier in the tournament Switzerland trio Granit Xhaka, Xherdan Shaqiri and Stephan Lichtsteiner were fined by Fifa for breaking rules over political celebrations in their match against Serbia.

A provocative statement?

Vitaly Shevchenko, BBC Monitoring

In itself, "Glory to Ukraine" is no more offensive than "Vive la France" or "Viva l'Italia" - it is a proclamation of support for Ukraine's independence and identity.

Given the recent hostilities with Russia, it has become strongly associated with critics of the Kremlin's policy.

The chant - and the response to it, "Glory to Heroes" - honours fighters against Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine and those who were earlier involved in an uprising against pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych.

This appears to be the reason why some in Russia felt the video was aimed against their country.

"Our demands are legitimate, sport is outside of politics, and therefore Vida should get out of Russia!" said one Twitter user.

But Ukrainians accused Fifa of siding with Russia and flooded the football body's Facebook page with declarations of "Glory to Ukraine".

I doubt they'll know the truth of when it was taken before Croatia play England though. Who would replace him in the side if he got suspended?

17 minutes ago, decapitated said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44778884

I doubt they'll know the truth of when it was taken before Croatia play England though. Who would replace him in the side if he got suspended?

Corluka seems like a safe bet. Caleta Car is decent, but too young and inexperienced. Although i don't think they'll suspend him. 

Archived