How do you cope with losing your favourite player?

I commenced my managerialship in 2017 and gave a debut to a young 17 year-old local lad who developed into one of my best players. He was the heart of the team and the only player from before my managerial appointment with the requisite quality to remain with the club in its inexorable march up the league ladder.

Now, four or so years later, Rangers have met his release clause and, after rejecting my new contract offer, he's signed with them.

Does anyone have any coping strategies or philosophical sayings that will restore the spirit of a forlorn club and manager?

hace 1 hora, Ron Wandle dijo:

I commenced my managerialship in 2017 and gave a debut to a young 17 year-old local lad who developed into one of my best players. He was the heart of the team and the only player from before my managerial appointment with the requisite quality to remain with the club in its inexorable march up the league ladder.

Now, four or so years later, Rangers have met his release clause and, after rejecting my new contract offer, he's signed with them.

Does anyone have any coping strategies or philosophical sayings that will restore the spirit of a forlorn club and manager?

buy a new player? i mean, i get that you can get attached to a player, but if he wants to go he  has to go, no player is bigger than the team, i bet that with the money you got from selling him you can get a better player or 2, just search for a similar player stat wise.

It's hard. I find myself walking down the street and seeing someone that looks like him, and my mind will conjure up imaginings of his happy smile as he lifts the Premier League and Champions League trophies for AFC Wimbledon. I've started drinking heavily, and the room is strewn with empty milk cartons. 

I actually signed a 20 year-old a few months back that can play in his position (DLP rather than BBM) that is potentially as good or better, although they could have played together side-by-side to form one of the greatest central midfield duos League One has ever seen.

This guy was the bridge to the club's roots, though - a local boy that had come through the academy and was leading his team to glory (via relegation).

It never happens to me because i always avoid release clauses or make the clause ridiculously high... i remember last year on my city save i coached John Stones into the best centre back in the world... he comes from the same town as me so i wanted to keep him but Real met his release clause of something like 120 million and he was gone... even though i won the league 2 years on the bounce and the champions league before he went. then i won another 2 league titles and another champions league.

I'm looking forward to the next fm because my cousin should be in Huddersfields u18's.

4 hours ago, Ron Wandle said:

Find a good player at another club who has a Release Clause you can meet and imagine that the manager of that club is now just as sad as you are.

I once quite a game because I lost my favourite player - a newgen from my first youth intake with Real Sociedad, who had been a key player in our unbeaten season, repeat league title and CL triumph, who had a release clause that Chelsea triggered and we couldn't offer him the money.

Most of the time though I try to ruin the guy's career - if I play against them I go full Ander Herrera vs. Eden Hazard, tight marking, clatter him at any opportunity...I'm vindictive like that. I find it much more joyful to triumph over a "bigger club" if a player has left me for them too. 

All but 2-5 clubs are selling clubs and even those clubs swap players amongst themselves. Keeping players on same team for bulk of their prime career window is extremely rare in this day and age. 

My coping recommendation would be to be to control the narrative by realistically evaluating a time in a player’s career when it’s time to move on. Whether it be exhausted from fending off offers or having a young understudy ready to take on the reigns. Unless you are one of the few world giants there’s no shame in allowing a player to pursue new challenges; just do your best to prepare for inevitability that everyone will leave at some point 

8 hours ago, Ron Wandle said:

I hit the bottle personally.

Rick Van Leuwen, FM14 I think it was. Spent so many years developing him and then Man City came in with a bid and he wanted to leave and I couldn't hold onto him any longer :( I consistently checked how he was doing and happily for me, he didn't do as well in Manchester :p

Archived