Classic 4231 for 18.3.3 - 5 Promotions in 7 Seasons

2 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Same in my game with Man United absolutely dominant, they've won the league 12 seasons in a row. Mourinho still there.

Need to beat them home & away in the league to have half a chance.

They are dominant in my game but have beaten them a few times both home and away. City and Chelsea are tough to beat.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man United are similar in mine, Mourinho still there and they are insane.

Spent 3 years at Arsenal, 4th first season, 2nd in second season with 90 pts and like a +GD of 70 with 107 scored - but managed to win it in the 3rd season, they are dominant but not like PSG where it's like lowest pts they've gotten in a season barring the 1st season they won it is 90, and on four occasions have they gone over 100...

****ers

btw, I noticed you don't use Work Ball into Box, something I've felt is absolutely necessary ever since they brought in that option, otherwise it's just long shots all over.

Have you tried using it and was it much different or does it work better without it for some reason ?

43 minutes ago, johangod said:

btw, I noticed you don't use Work Ball into Box, something I've felt is absolutely necessary ever since they brought in that option, otherwise it's just long shots all over.

Have you tried using it and was it much different or does it work better without it for some reason ?

I am using a slightly modified version of the 3-5-2 that Rosler posted earlier in the thread, and I only need Work Ball Into Box when I'm playing a team of similar ability that are playing a defensive block. Against weaker teams the default tactic just blows them away. Against stronger teams, there is always lots of space in behind their defence to exploit, they never defend in a low block, so Work Ball Into Box isn't necessary.

Ended up 2nd to Chelsea in the Premier league. Utd fell away somewhat towards the end as did we as we lost our second last game and our last as we needed to beat Chelsea at home to win the league. In the month of January i switched to the momox tactic and then back to yours to finish the league out. It solved our bad run of form. Going to be interested to try the 343if for the next season. 

On 24/04/2018 at 20:43, JK Galgreefe said:

I've been using the 3-5-2 with good results with Aves in the Portuguese League. I had to make a few tweaks to suit my squad. I moved the CM back to a Regista, added Close Down More to the team instructions, and switched to Counter mentality. Then I added Move Into Channels to the strikers to make them find space out wide when we win the ball back, ready for a quick transition out of defence.

The defence is really solid and we score loads on the counter. It isn't the easiest football on the eye at times, but it's effective.

Must be this one???

15 hours ago, JK Galgreefe said:

The Regista variant of the 3-5-2 is absolutely ruining my opponents at the moment. Halfway through the 2024/25 season with Aves in Portuguese Premier League and we've won every single domestic game we've played. Hats off to Rosler for this tactic.

Interested to try this with the Regista, are you using the Mezzala or Carrillo version?

11 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Interested to try this with the Regista, are you using the Mezzala or Carrillo version?

The post was just after v1 was posted but before v2 so I copied the changes detailed with v1. I also added tackle harder and shoot less to the regista as he was wasting a lot of long shots and tackling to match everyone else.

Classic 352.fmf

I'm away from my computer for the weekend but I can post the actual tactic when I'm back.

It's basically the Mezzala version of the 3-5-2 with the following changes.

Move central midfielder back to Regista (with Shoot Less)

Wing backs on Attack

Mezzalas on Support

Close Down More

Counter mentality

Move Into Channels on DLFs

Against big teams I take Close Down More off the wingbacks and change them to support mentality. Or even defensive if they're getting beaten too easily.

I think I tweaked the set piece routines too but nothing major.

Just completed an unbeaten league season with Aves, primarily using the 3-5-2 Regista variant. Only two domestic matches I lost all season were the finals of both cups - both to Benfica, both played with significant numbers of first choice players missing.

Thirty-two wins and two draws in the league.

Thanks again Mr Rosler!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I was trying to load this tactic after download, but It won't show in FM. I've tried with the folders in personal documents -> FM -> tactics and also in the folder of the editor date, but it won't show. Any idea how to load it stpe by step ?

Sans titre.png

Have you had much success with the 343if? I've decided to go for a season with it, as usual - friendlies were all won. We seem to concede a lot of close range shots though during the season so far, but still in a close position to the top. We've also had a lot of penalties awarded against us. I havent set any free kick takers and it seems to have worked a treat as we've scored some tasty free kick goals. Also seem to concede in the latter stages, which maybe I should change the 2nd half tactic to protect the lead, instead of staying in control the whole match. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is this tactic expected to produce a lot of injuries? My second season with the tactic (it worked great the first season, winning alot) and we have constantly been top of the injury table. Almost all injuries are from matches. First season we averaged over 1 injury per game. Henderson for example missed 127 days with 6 different injuries all from matches. 

High intensity so wouldn't surprise, but it's hard to keep the starting 11 for more than 1 game in a row. Anyone else have issues?

Just finished the season with the 343if - I think I'm going to try going back to the 4231 (control) to see how I do with it with a stronger, better reputation team now. If that doesnt win us a league, its the regista 352.

Highlights of the season, record lowest number of league losses with 5 but through away a lot of points with 13 draws. End of season form was disappointing lost in the semi final of the champions league and FA Cup. It came down to the last game of the season for us to qualify 4th. Liverpool were a point ahead of us and were playing bottom Crystal palace so thought there's no way theyre losing that but they did 3-1 and to make it worse, we couldnt beat 16th place Newcastle. So lucky to draw that match in the end.

Greetings

After a bit of break i'm back.

I've had a good look at JK Galgreef's changes to the 352 and are 100% on board with these with the exception of retaining Control Mentality.

I ran it for a few games in the Premier League to get a feel for it and was impressed, I decided to restart my Academy Challenge so back to Conference North and Stockport.

The results have been nothing short of sensational.

Stockport_County_Senior_Fixtures-2.png

19 Wins, 2 Draws, 1 defeat in 22 league games so far. Scored 50 only conceding 9 goals. 

I genuinely thought I could go unbeaten in the League. The Stockport squad is decent but well behind the likes of Salford/FC United in terms of quality.

Stockport_County_Overview-2.pngimage ru

Against organised defences your Wingbacks provide much of the creativity, once you're ahead and teams push up the Regista will start to crucify teams with balls over the top. Really nice football.

Bears more than a passing resemblance to Southgate's England.

Set your Wingbacks to take corners.

DOWNLOAD

Classic 3322 REG v1.fmf

On 14/07/2018 at 10:38, Mr U Rosler said:

Greetings

After a bit of break i'm back.

I've had a good look at JK Galgreef's changes to the 352 and are 100% on board with these with the exception of retaining Control Mentality.

I ran it for a few games in the Premier League to get a feel for it and was impressed, I decided to restart my Academy Challenge so back to Conference North and Stockport.

The results have been nothing short of sensational.

Stockport_County_Senior_Fixtures-2.png

19 Wins, 2 Draws, 1 defeat in 22 league games so far. Scored 50 only conceding 9 goals. 

I genuinely thought I could go unbeaten in the League. The Stockport squad is decent but well behind the likes of Salford/FC United in terms of quality.

Stockport_County_Overview-2.pngimage ru

Against organised defences your Wingbacks provide much of the creativity, once you're ahead and teams push up the Regista will start to crucify teams with balls over the top. Really nice football.

Bears more than a passing resemblance to Southgate's England.

Set your Wingbacks to take corners.

DOWNLOAD

Classic 3322 REG v1.fmf

Glad you endorse the changes mate! I agree about the resemblance to Southgate's England formation, although England could really do with a proper Regista instead of Henderson. :D

There's a couple of things I'm trying to sort before I'm truly happy with it.

First off, the wingbacks can be too aggressive with their pressing, they occasionally get dragged into central midfield and leave their flank totally open. We need a bit of pressing from them though because we want them to engage opposition wingers high up the pitch, so it's a tricky one to get right.

Secondly, the Mezzalas can be a bit peripheral. I'm not really happy with how much they contribute in an attacking sense and sometimes they don't press high enough. Maybe changing to the Control mentality sorts this. I haven't tried that mentality because I love my quick counters.

Counter attacks trigger on all mentalities when you win the ball and there are less than 'X' opposing players between the ball carrier and the opponents goal.

It's possible 'X' might be 1 player more on the more defensive duties so in theory they can trigger more often, i'm unsure of this, but i'm seeing plenty on control mentality and they are often from slightly higher up the pitch so potentially even more dangerous.

I got promoted out of Conference North last season where I was favourite in many games, i'm clinging on to the play-offs in my first season in National where i'm underdog in most games.

I've cleared out the 'old guard' and are blooding 15, 16 year olds as i'm doing an Academy challenge, I think CONTROL will be OK even when underdog in most games.

I tried this as a rubbish Welsh team Caernarfon. Couldn't really get it firing, even games I was expected to win, i was losing on Control dunno what it would be like on Counter.

Want to try it as England in the World Cup, see how it works!

I decided against trying with England as I couldn't be bothered :)

I used it as Spurs for 10 games or so, decent results, think it was 8 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. In those games I played Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd twice.

I also decided to start a new career save with Stockport.

Smashed the league with 100 points. Was unbeated for the first 15 games. Cracking tactic. Just not with rubbish  welsh teams :)

I dont tend to score a lot with the new incarnation of the tactic. My form dropped off the face of a cliff towards the end of last season, finished third above my expectation of 6th despite being 1st/2nd for most of the league. Lost in Semi final of Euro Cup after being knocked out of group stages of Champions League. Lost in FA Cup Final but did win the Carabao Cup. Couldnt seem to win our games in hand which killed our hopes of landing the top prize.

How do people find it on counter attack instead of control?

A fantastic tactic - had my best ever season. It was the 150th year anniversary for Rovers and we held onto the Carabao Cup, finished 3rd behind both very good City (1st) & Utd (2nd) sides. We didnt win our games in hand but did manage to beat them, could have won had we've been a bit more consistent. Knocked out of FA Cup Semi final by a goal but ended up winning the Champions League by a goal against Juventus.

Star Striker scored 42 goals and broke man of the match record at the club with 11 awards. WBL broke the assists record with 16. GK had 23 clean sheets

Uwe Rosler and myself are considered good friends too :)

Found I was drawing a few too many games with the 3322.

Now i'm on a 442. Got promoted out of conference and found myself odds on for promotion straight out of League 2?

Obviously based a good, strong team but the board then sold my 2 star players, both central defenders, as i'm doing an academy challenge I had to bring in a couple of 15 year olds :seagull: 

I'm 2nd with 12 games to go so still looking good although not much breathing space with a few teams hot on my heals.

But its hard to tell if i'm over performing or not, I think so, but the team is top heavy, my forwards are a lot better than my defenders.

Just won a couple of games 9-2, 7-0.

If I get up i'll see how I get on in League 1.

I got back to back promotions with it mate. 100 pts first season. Via the playoffs in the 2nd season.

Beat a few higher teams in the cups as well. Beat Huddersfield on penalties after a 5-5 thriller, they are in Championship and I'm in League 2.

I love the football played.

2 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Found I was drawing a few too many games with the 3322.

Now i'm on a 442. Got promoted out of conference and found myself odds on for promotion straight out of League 2?

Obviously based a good, strong team but the board then sold my 2 star players, both central defenders, as i'm doing an academy challenge I had to bring in a couple of 15 year olds :seagull: 

I'm 2nd with 12 games to go so still looking good although not much breathing space with a few teams hot on my heals.

But its hard to tell if i'm over performing or not, I think so, but the team is top heavy, my forwards are a lot better than my defenders.

Just won a couple of games 9-2, 7-0.

If I get up i'll see how I get on in League 1.

Just about to start a new season - can you share the 442? I'd like to see how I could get on? 

On the subject of draws, I won 25, drew 7 and lost 6 in the league. Our quarter and semi-final in the champions league ended up in agg draws. I think thats a pretty good run of matches

Played two games last night with this against Chelsea in the Euro Super Cup and won 3-0 and played a strong Liverpool side in the opening game away and won 2-0. Funny thing is with all the other tactics I've won all my friendlies, but this one, is the first time I've lost and lost against Huddersfield. All the other friendlies were won well however. 

Been playing around with the 4-4-2 a little bit. I like the tactic because it seems to be better balanced than the 3-3-2-2. We have been conceding more goals than we typically would, but I'm putting that down to unfamiliarity and the strength of the opposition in our recent games. On clear cut chances we're conceding less and creating more.
One thing i want to look into is how to get a bit more out of the centre mids. I want them to press aggressively and that's happening but right now they don't do much in attack for me. That might be because they are my worst players but I'm gonna try a few things anyway.

Definitely potential with the 442.

That's 3 promotions in a row.

Broke League 1 points and goal scoring record in the process and picked up the checkatrade trophy for good measure.

One of my Strikers got 51 goals in 55 games. He's not a superstar either, only rated decent for League 1.

Sky_Bet_League_One_Overview_Stages-2.pngphoto sharing software

Steven_Wharton_Overview_Profile.png

Have you come against any very good teams yet? I agree with the conceding, its still early days though for me. See how it goes through the whole season, I'll have a better picture.

If only I could get paid for playing :)

Ran into Liverpool in the FA Cup, unlucky to lose 2-1 in the end, both teams had over 20 shots on goal.

We do give away some bad goals, balls over the top are a problem, but I think we had the joint 4th best defence in the division, not bad considering the goal scoring upside and the goal difference compared to the rest of the league speaks for itself.

Next season in the Championship will be interesting, beyond that the original 4231 stopped working in the Premier League so it will be interesting to see if this set up stands up to the test.

Expecting comfortable mid-table in the Championship next year before a promotion push the year after, but who knows.

Not going great for me with the 442, its November and I've had 7 draws in the league already (had only 7 in the whole of the season last season with the 3322) Have only had 2 losses so far, but the dropping of points with draws is killing me in the race for the title

Archived