Classic 4231 for 18.3.3 - 5 Promotions in 7 Seasons

Good start to the Championship campaign.

I don't think it can last but maybe play offs.

Coming out on top in a lot of 50/50 matches, high morale, having a settled team (no transfers) seems to help.

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages.png

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morale is high and my u18's using the same tactic are flying high. Even with morale high, and even though we are now a big club, the likes of the bigger still clubs like Barca, R.Madrid & At. madrid are hounding my best players

I took the Napoli job in my current save so I can't test this as a true underdog any more. Having said that the 442 is working very well for me, it's much more aggressive and high tempo compared to the 3322 and we're blowing teams away with lots of goals from the wide midfielders. Still not getting much from the centre mids but still working on it.

Yeah, I think the centre mid's will have to be the unsung heroes in this set up, they have to get through a lot of work whilst your Strikers and Wide Midfielders grab the glory with the majority of goals and assists.

Your classic 'water carriers' I suppose.

Didn't quite make it 4 promotions in a row losing in the Play Off final but a good effort nonetheless.

I will be blooding a new batch of youngsters next year so perhaps 1 step back to go 2 steps forward, but they have high potential and i'll need them when I make it to the Premier League.

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages-2.pupload images 

Seems like a similar season to me. I struggled to keep morale high in the team despite having a good winning run, but the amount of draws killed our chances in the first half of the season. I made Carabao Cup final and lost to Utd who I'm also facing in the FA Cup final and I'm in the Champions Cup final for the second year in a row facing a strong Barca side. I've three matches in the league left but I'm currently 5th (when the board wanted me to win the league :( ) Hopefully next season with the tactic with a season of bedding in will see an improvement.

One thing, there is one or two players that are unhappy for pretty much the whole season, despite my best efforts to please them but I cant be playing players that arent playing well despite them being the best players. Is it worth selling these players on?

If they have key player status they will expect regular games. If you're not going to play them then i'd move them on.

With European football you should be able to give everyone enough game time to keep everyone happy.

I keep my first squad small, 19 or 20 players only.

I also try and keep the squad quite small. The key is to have players who can play in lots of different positions. I always look for players who have well balanced stats and try to have a core group of about 15-16 who can slot into three or four different positions. Helps when you often change formations as well.

I was experimenting with inverted wing backs in the full back positions which would allow the centre mids to be a bit more attacking, it seems to work defensively but the centre mids still don't do anything in attack. I think the issue is that they have no space to exploit so I'm gonna try some different instructions on the wide mids and strikers too.

Hi Mr Rosler, I've followed this thread closely - as I do every thread of yours! Having taken a break from my long term Liverpool save, I've decided to start a fresh with Port Vale in League 2. Having made one signing and tried to bring through the better youngsters at the club, I've implemented the 442 and so far its thrown up some impressive results! We sit top of the league after 15 games, unbeaten in that time, as well as making to the Carabao Cup 3rd rd where we lost narrowly to Stoke City 2-1. Love how involved the wide men get and my strikers are getting a hatful of goals!

I'll keep you updated with how the tactic fares throughout the season, as we've just slowed the pace down slightly and started to draw one too many, but 15 games in unbeaten is nothing to grumble at!

Thanks for your good work - again

3 hours ago, JK Galgreefe said:

I also try and keep the squad quite small. The key is to have players who can play in lots of different positions. I always look for players who have well balanced stats and try to have a core group of about 15-16 who can slot into three or four different positions. Helps when you often change formations as well.

I was experimenting with inverted wing backs in the full back positions which would allow the centre mids to be a bit more attacking, it seems to work defensively but the centre mids still don't do anything in attack. I think the issue is that they have no space to exploit so I'm gonna try some different instructions on the wide mids and strikers too.

You could just add 'play through the middle', this should force the centre midfielders higher up the pitch.

23 minutes ago, Banks_87 said:

Hi Mr Rosler, I've followed this thread closely - as I do every thread of yours! Having taken a break from my long term Liverpool save, I've decided to start a fresh with Port Vale in League 2. Having made one signing and tried to bring through the better youngsters at the club, I've implemented the 442 and so far its thrown up some impressive results! We sit top of the league after 15 games, unbeaten in that time, as well as making to the Carabao Cup 3rd rd where we lost narrowly to Stoke City 2-1. Love how involved the wide men get and my strikers are getting a hatful of goals!

I'll keep you updated with how the tactic fares throughout the season, as we've just slowed the pace down slightly and started to draw one too many, but 15 games in unbeaten is nothing to grumble at!

Thanks for your good work - again

Thanks Banks, the 442 has served me well!

Decided i would give your 4-4-2 a try with my Norwich team, I remember your tactics on fm 14 being particularly good and i need inspiration right now, i'll let you know how it goes, in my first match right now and scored two beautiful goals so fingers crossed this is a sign of things to come!

8 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

You could just add 'play through the middle', this should force the centre midfielders higher up the pitch.

Added this for the last two games, and won the FA Cup Final 2-0 against Utd and ended up beating Barca 4-0 in the Champions League to retain the trophy. Disappointing finish to the league though finishing 6th.

So i've got to Jan first season, Tom Pope has hit 24 goals in 28 games and i'm now fending off £400k offers for him from big championship clubs like Villa & Fulham - two minds as to what to do as he's been integral but at 32, i'm not sure he will hit the same heights next season - but I'm weary of losing my captain at the midway stage. £400k is massive money at this level, too!

13 minutes ago, Banks_87 said:

So i've got to Jan first season, Tom Pope has hit 24 goals in 28 games and i'm now fending off £400k offers for him from big championship clubs like Villa & Fulham - two minds as to what to do as he's been integral but at 32, i'm not sure he will hit the same heights next season - but I'm weary of losing my captain at the midway stage. £400k is massive money at this level, too!

How are you in the league, you need Tom to get you up?

£400k is not much if it costs you promotion.

17 points clear after 28 games, i've just managed to get Niall Ennis on loan from Wolves as a replacement so I'll let him go I think. It's a credit to you I think if he gets a move to the Championship haha

He's gone, I know Tom personally and obviously he's a Vale lad - so I think it made the decision harder aha

Moving forwards, I do intend to take a leaf out of your book and try to promote from within (the odd loan and freebie, too), really enjoying the save and how the tactic plays - so again thank you!

Yep, as long as you upgrade Junior Coaching/Youth Recruitment and get a good Head of Youth Development there's no reason you need to sign players.

In previous version good youth prospects were scarce, FM18 is pretty generous, I was getting multiple prospects with Championship potential even when I was non league.

Can be scary playing 15/16 year olds in your first team, but you can carry 2 or 3 in your starting line up no problem. Give them first team experience and they improve really fast. 

That's the plan - normally I play at the top level so most of this is new to me, feels a lot more hands on in terms of building the club and shaping the squad to your liking. All good fun and i'm definitely looking at back to back promotions without having to change much squad wise!

39 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Yep, as long as you upgrade Junior Coaching/Youth Recruitment and get a good Head of Youth Development there's no reason you need to sign players.

In previous version good youth prospects were scarce, FM18 is pretty generous, I was getting multiple prospects with Championship potential even when I was non league.

Can be scary playing 15/16 year olds in your first team, but you can carry 2 or 3 in your starting line up no problem. Give them first team experience and they improve really fast. 

Managed to get the squad down to a respectable number and filled it with some young signings as while we get one or two half decent regens, we've not had a top one for a few years (this is 2025) so I'm hoping a good mix of teenagers/young twenties will win the title. I got away with not winning it last season winning the champions league. The players that were previously unhappy has signed a new contract and has improved morale. To be truthful nobody met my expectations of their value to let them leave. I'm lucky to have the best keeper in the game and he's only 23!

Ok, were up. 4 promotions in 5 seasons just using players from my academy.

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages-3.p

This player came in my very first youth intake.

Played in midfield for the first couple of seasons before becoming my first choice Striker until the middle of this season, he'll be a back up in the Prem next season before moving him on. (unless I get relegated!).

Steven_Wharton_History_Career_Stats.png

Steven_Wharton_Overview_Profile-2.png

41 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Ok, were up. 4 promotions in 5 seasons just using players from my academy.

Sky_Bet_Championship_Overview_Stages-3.p

This player came in my very first youth intake.

Played in midfield for the first couple of seasons before becoming my first choice Striker until the middle of this season, he'll be a back up in the Prem next season before moving him on. (unless I get relegated!).

Steven_Wharton_History_Career_Stats.png

Steven_Wharton_Overview_Profile-2.png

Do you ever deviate from the positions in the formation, to suit the player - or is it always a case of the player has to fit the formation? I only ask this with centre forwards and wide men in mind - having said that i've hit a ridiculous amount of goals without touching it. 

I'll get some screenshots up when I'm home, absolutely obliterating the league

44 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Interesting. Mo's massive season surprised most people. 

Wonder how highly rated he was in game and whether he got an attribute boost mid season.

Surprised us all - I thought 20 in all comps would have been a very good year for him. Glad I was wrong in this case, all about repeating that this season now.

I must say he feels a lot more involved in this last Liverpool save, compared to my customary opening save.

Ok, persisted with the 442 all the way through my first premier league campaign following promotion, this is the biggest test in the game imo.

Never really in trouble, although a great run from Burnley ensured that 40 points would not be enough to stay up.

My young team has the potential in forward areas and midfield to develop into a team to threaten a title challenge, however my back 4 is firmly Championship Level.

I'm not producing quality defenders, I've sacked my HOYD and replaced him with a more defensively minded one in the hope of influencing my youth intake to include more defenders.

Even if I get a couple of promising defenders it will be 3 or 4 seasons before they get close to fulfilling their potential.

Playing the long game, i'll continue to develop my forwards, some have the potential to play for England, max out club facilities and hopefully get a new stadium.

English_Premier_Division_Overview_Stages

Scored plenty, conceded plenty!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got past the top three teams and out down a marker for the Premier League title, even though I had won it previously it was won this time on merit and not by other results going my way. I did sacrifice some cup campaigns, but I was just after completing a three in a row Champions League run. And now I've become the new Wenger and havent spent any money bar one or two young lads for the future. 

Archived