FM18 - Celtic

craiigman

There must be a few people rocking the bhoys this year?

Got the game yesterday, finally, so starting with Celtic as still not to grip so with scouting and a few other bits even with time on the demo.

Thinking 4-2-3-1 is the most logical setup, but wondering what else people have been using.

Just finished my first season on Football Manager touch on IPad.  Won the league comfortably and league cup playing 4-2-3-1.

Finished second in my CL group with 10 points - Juventus, Celtic, Liverpool, A Madrid.  Home wins over Juventus and Liverpool and drew with A Madrid.  Beat A Madrid away.   This was done playing a 5-2-1-2 formation with the width coming from the wing backs.  Griff and Dembele worked well in this formation.  Got knocked out in the last 16 by Barca.

6 minutes ago, Damian_Rusling said:

Just finished my first season on Football Manager touch on IPad.  Won the league comfortably and league cup playing 4-2-3-1.

Finished second in my CL group with 10 points - Juventus, Celtic, Liverpool, A Madrid.  Home wins over Juventus and Liverpool and drew with A Madrid.  Beat A Madrid away.   This was done playing a 5-2-1-2 formation with the width coming from the wing backs.  Griff and Dembele worked well in this formation.  Got knocked out in the last 16 by Barca.

Did you sign anyone? What was the usual line-up?

signed a new keeper in august and a central defender and central/attacking mid in Jan.  I got an 11 million offer for lustig in Jan so sold him too and replaced him with Byran from West Ham for 4 million.

I will confirm my signings names when I get home.

Up until Xmas my team was

New Keeper

Lustig (Ralston) , Sumunovic, Sviechenko, Tierney,  Brown (BWM), McGregor (BTB). Sinclair (LIF), Roberts (RIF), Armstrong (AP), Dembele (CF)

Nitcham, Ralston, Boyata, Ajer, Rogic, Hayes,Forrest and Griff all played  a good few games too.

1 hour ago, Eckauskas said:

Ah, the least challenging FM experience in the history of the game...

You'd be surprised, there are a fair few bogey teams, especially away, and especially when you have 10 games in 1 month. It is easy, yes. But it's also a great place to start for a new game to get to grips with new features and also have some fun developing players and try new tactics.

It is challenging? Not overly. But is it easy to go unbeaten? No.

1 hour ago, Damian_Rusling said:

The challenge of managing Celtic is to maintain domestic domination, bring through young players and do well in Europe - CL QF/SF/Winner.

If its the team you support its natural to play as their manager first.  

I normally do about 5 seasons at Celtic then move onto either Spain or EPL.

Of course, Hearts are a lot easier to play as than Peterhead.

However winning the league, cup and everything else with players rated at £10m+ isn't going to be hard.

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

You'd be surprised, there are a fair few bogey teams, especially away, and especially when you have 10 games in 1 month. It is easy, yes. But it's also a great place to start for a new game to get to grips with new features and also have some fun developing players and try new tactics.

If you're any good at the game, going Celtic is going to be a cake walk. There's infinitely more to trying to break their dominance with someone like Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or Motherwell.

16 minutes ago, Eckauskas said:

Of course, Hearts are a lot easier to play as than Peterhead.

However winning the league, cup and everything else with players rated at £10m+ isn't going to be hard.

If you're any good at the game, going Celtic is going to be a cake walk. There's infinitely more to trying to break their dominance with someone like Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or Motherwell.

Obviously, and I didn't say it wasn't. We aren't here to say who's better at the game, if you have no other input, go to another thread.

23 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Obviously, and I didn't say it wasn't. We aren't here to say who's better at the game, if you have no other input, go to another thread.

I can post on whatever thread I want champ, that's how forums work.

If you want to treat the game like Amateur mode on FIFA, you crack on :)

My August signings were

Leigh - left back from Bury - 500,000

Morgan - left wing from st mirren -1.3 million

Livakovic - gk from Dinamo - 4.4 million

Jan Signings

Akanji - CB from Basel - 8 million

Byram - RB from West Ham - 4.8 million

Almiron - cm/am from Atlanta - 10 million

total = 29 million

Out

Gamboa - 1.6

Lustig - 11.25

Rogic - 11 million

total = 23.85

8 hours ago, craiigman said:

Kris Doolan has been my bogey player for like 7 fms in a row. There is nothing I can do to stop him.

I've even tried injuring him, he just played on and scored a winner in extra time. Damn Thistle hipsters.

Doolan always seems to score against me too.  

The more seasons you play in the SPL the better the teams become.  You get a couple of CL spots and teams regularly reaching the group stages of the Europa League.  Teams like Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are buying players for 5 or 6 million and getting 20 million plus young strikers on loan from the big EPL teams.

Left transfer window off. I got Bielik on loan from Arsenal. Cover at CB and DM.

What I’m going with at the moment:

GK(D)

IWB(S) - CD(D) - CD(D) - WB(S)

DM(S)

CM(S) - CM(A)

W(S) ————————W(S)

DLF(A)

Then I swap the WB and IWB sides when different people play. Tierny has too many PPM’s to get wide to play it, but Miller does it well. Other side Gamboa doesn’t have those PPM’s, but doesn’t do well at IWB, Lustig does a decent job.

I have The following PI’s:

GK - distribute to CB’s

WB - cross from byline, run down left/right

DM - dribble less

CM(S) - roam from position

TI’s: Play out from back

I had prevent short distribution, but when playing vs teams who aren’t the best passers anyway, they play over the top passes. So this just gives the keeper and excuse to lump it forward. Not put on work into box yet, will look at doing that when I get into main games. So far not had too many long shots.

Flexible/standard.

Why so unadventurous for Celtic? 

I don’t want to play too aggressive. WB on attack has cross more often, which I don’t want. IWB on attack is fun to watch though, I will use that when I need an extra man.

No need for fancy roles, players have some decent PPM’s. Ajer has dictate tempo for a DM is good, exactly what I want, as does Bitton. But then I have Rogic who has killer balls but also gets into box, so changes the role completely. 

Wingers set to wingers not IF. Sinclair and Roberts both have come inside PPM’s. Forrest prefers to play more direct and wide. Hayes does have a PPM for width, so sticks to the role. Offers different options for both wings left on winger and support.

Friendlies and first game in Champions League qualifying have been good, but obviously vs pretty poor teams.

This save is more about PPM’s and how they change roles for me.

Made a couple of changes overall, no more IWB, ended up with my DM, CM, and IWB on top of each other. I was also finding the ST ended up isolated, even with a CM(A) and the CM(S) having make late runs. Wingers weren't getting into the box enough.

E0ejR43.png?1

YjjlMOd.png?1

PI's:

GK - Distribute to CB's

WB(S) - cross from by line + run down wing

DM - Dribble less

CM(S) - move into channels

CM(A) - roam from position

Current issues:

- The DM and the CM(S) do sometime sit on top of each other. Will be testing out hold position for the DM I think.

- Lots of long shots. I'm hoping if there are more runners into the box, this will happen less. Not putting on work into box yet, need players in the right areas. If no luck, may look to use it to try and encourage this.

Just Malmo away in Champions League qualifier and then start of the SPL.

I am now on my second season. Playing a 4-2-3-1 with Tierney on attack at left back domestically and on support in CL games.  Sinclair and Roberts (he came back for another seasons loan) play as inside forwards.  If either of those 2 are injured they are replaced by wingers (support). Morgan (from St Mirren) on the left and Forrest on the right.    My two centre mids are  Ajer as BWM on defend and Almiron as AP on support.  Armstrong or Christie plays in the AM role just behind the striker.   Dembele and Griffiths rotate for the strikers role with Dembele tending to play in the CL games.

I have mixed passing, standard mentality, work ball into box and exploit flanks.  Distribute to FB's and close down.  Structured team shape but players can express themselves.

Second season has been brilliant. Topped my CL group containing Barca, Roma, and Zenit St Petersburg  with 15 points . Highlight was a 4-0 home win over Barca.  Dembele seems built for the big CL nights.

I am half way through the Jan transfer window and the offers are coming in for Dembele who wants to go.  I want to see if I can keep him till the summer,  Tierney seems happy enough on his new 35,000 a week contract...

If dembele goes any tips on replacements ?

On 12/21/2017 at 15:04, Damian_Rusling said:

I am half way through the Jan transfer window and the offers are coming in for Dembele who wants to go.  I want to see if I can keep him till the summer,  Tierney seems happy enough on his new 35,000 a week contract...

If dembele goes any tips on replacements ?

I got Borja Mayoral from Real Madrid for £6million in the third season but I did loan him in for the second since I sold Dembele to Southampton for £44million

• 1 month later...

Late to the party playing FM18 this year,

I'm now waiting on the latest update before getting stuck into a save game. But I have been messing about taking over various clubs and trying different formations & styles.

This was my first game with Celtic using a 4-3-3 (3 central midfielders & 2 inside forwards).

*Note the times of the goals scored. It was over before it really begun.

Celtic.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

4-2-3-1 is the way to go.

Celtics board philosophies are to buy young players and develop young players and these are the most important things to fulfil.

GK- CGordon and DDVries would do fine in the first season but are both old and not brilliant standard up against European opposition, I would advise buying a younger GK with about 3 stars, I bought Etrit Berisha for £5m from Atlanta and he is doing a fine job 3 years later.

WBR- Lustig is fine but you can get good money for him, hes aging so getting him away ASAP was how I played it, giving him to PSG for £11m. Ralston is always a good backup player, but I bought Santiago Arias for £12m from PSV, better than Lustig and younger too, he brings interest from England and you can cash him in for £20m in a couple years.

DC- Simunovic, Boyata and Svia will do a good job. after one season I sold Boyata to Brighton and bought Nicolas Isimit-Marin from Holland for c. £10m and he is my best ever DC. There are no quality center backs in the youth system so maybe buy a young player from Europe quite quickly.

WBL- KT is consistently a top performer and perpetually gains interest from England, hold them off long enough and you can get £40-50mil for him. I bought Kevin Holt from Dundee as a steady backup to up the home-grown player count. Calvin Miller never really reaches high standards but eventually replaced Holt as my backup, Richard Roddie also becomes a decent player.

DM/MC- Ajer becomes one of the best players in the squad after a year or two, keep him and give him game time. Scott Brown is a top performer for the first season and then I gave him to the MLS for £3mill. Callum Mcgregor becomes a very decent player and is also home-grown. Ntcham is good forever but never shines, he demands more playing time but does not deserve it, should be able to pawn him of to the EPL for £14-18mill. Rogic has been my best midfielder for some years now and steps up all the time. Koussi and Henderson never meet the level you require of them no matter how many times you send them on loan, you could keep them as backup though. Jad Mouaddib is a great promising young player would advise buying. John Mcginn should be available on pre-contract in Jan2019. Trinade de Vilhene is a great buy also.

AMR- Paddy Roberts is great but impossible to buy, I loaned Jeramie Boga from Chelsea once he left and then I bought Theo Walcott on a pre-contract. James Forrest is a consistently good performer but you can always look for a 3 1/2 star player with a bit more pazzazz.

AMC- Stu Armstrong and Christie have provided enough strength in this position for the 3 years ive been here and have always performed admirably. Wes Hoolahan was a solid short term solution should one of them have a long term injury. Mikey Johnson should gradually blend into the team.

AML- Scott Sinclair is always high in goalscoring leagues and brings high ratings. Alain Oyerzun from Zaragoza for 500k is an absolute steal for cover. I got rid of Jonny Hayes ASAP trying to get the average age down.

ST- My proudest performance in my celtic career has been my management of Strikers. Leigh Griffiths and Moussa Dembele can both be sold for 25-30£mill. SIGN LAUTARO MARTINEZ, he has been the player of the season and top goalscorer every season so far, loves the European game. Miguel Borja is also a hot prospect, I always like to keep a 3rd striker who is Scottish to fill quotas, Stevie May and Jason Cummings can both step up against domestic teams if you need to rest your top players. There are no great properties in the youth team. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still buzzing from today's Semi Final win.... and yet again, Tom Rogic got a goal in a big game.  I have been playing FM16 and Rogic is much better in FM18 than in my previous save.  For those of you that have played with Celtic, what is the best role for him in this version? Is he best utilized as a trequartista?  Most of the comments above seem to imply that Christie and Armstrong are preferred as a CAM... But if I want to try and play out this season with him, I was curious if it was worth worth it.  Thanks in advance

12 hours ago, USA Bhoy said:

Still buzzing from today's Semi Final win.... and yet again, Tom Rogic got a goal in a big game.  I have been playing FM16 and Rogic is much better in FM18 than in my previous save.  For those of you that have played with Celtic, what is the best role for him in this version? Is he best utilized as a trequartista?  Most of the comments above seem to imply that Christie and Armstrong are preferred as a CAM... But if I want to try and play out this season with him, I was curious if it was worth worth it.  Thanks in advance

I've used him as a DLF in 4-4-2 and he has been pretty awesome in that role

• 4 months later...

I'm now into my 3rd season of managing Celtic. Yes Scottish domination is easy but that isn't my aim. I want to bring back the spirit of the 'Lions of Lisbon' and win the Champions League not just as a Scottish team but as a Scottish team with only Scots playing. The first aim is to actually win a European title and therefore boost Scotland's standing. Winning in Europe is one thing but to emulate the Lions is something else.  Still holding on to Tierney whilst at the same time looking out for his successor.  Best bit of business so far was managing to sign A Pereira and Smalling on frees from Man Utd, Pereira hopefully will stay long enough to replace Sinclair whilst Smalling will help develop my young defenders. Also made a coo in signing a young R Mid/Winger from S Africa called Tau unfortunately he currently has a long term injury which is affecting his bravery so I have no idea if he will recover to his previous state. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now halfway through season 3 and A Periera is now my first choice on the left wing (Sinclair's form has dropped off a little bit but he still performs when required), Smalling I feel has been one of my signings of the season he has formed a formidable partnership Boyata and is helping the younger defenders develop nicely. Unfortunately I got drawn in a very tough Champions League group and missed out not only on the knock out rounds but also the Europa league (the Europa place did go to the last game with Liverpool claiming the place after beating me 5-3 at Anfield). Rangers are starting to improve this season and are more or less neck to neck in the Scottish League. The big clubs have been sniffing round Tierney but so far I've managed to hold on to him, with the January window approaching there are rumours than Man Utd are willing to offer £100 million for him (if that happens I will definitely be taking the money and running very fast) the lad deserves the move he has been a model professional not letting all the rumours affect him. Tau has come back from his injury and is starting to get his form of last season back.  The squad I have now is quite young (average age around 24-25) with a few older players to ensure that the youngsters don't get carried away. No doubt this season will result in more domestic honours but I'm not interested in those I want success in Europe for which I'm going to have to wait at least another season :(

• 3 weeks later...

Season 3 ended unbeaten in the League, the Man Utd interest for Tierney never materialised so he remains in my squad. However, he is now sharing LB duties with Luke Shaw who I picked up just in case Tierney did leave, for a bargain 8 Million so now having to keep both happy until the next transfer window. Pre-season has gone well and included a brilliant 3-1 home win against a very strong Milan which bodes well for Europe this season. The summer transfer window was very quiet interms of incomings although 4 youngsters were got on frees, the best of which was a wonderkid called Okore who is proving to be a good challenger for Tau on the right. 

Archived