Issues with Penalties

Hello Everyone, 

This is my first post here. I came back to FM recently after few years of hiatus and have been enjoying it thoroughly. I have got few issues to be fair though. 

I started Arsenal save recently and I have had serious issues when it comes to penalties. I have only scored 3 out of 10 penalties given this season, and players with high composure and penalty stats have been missing them. Santi Cazorla has missed 4, Berardi has missed 2-3 of them. Funny thing about this is that it happens almost every single time at 0-0. I end up missing the penalty and then draw the game. This just gave me suspicion that whether the engine actually decides who wins the game or result of the game randomly? 

Is this a bug? Any suggestions to solve this would be welcome. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Roaming Raumdeuter said:

Hello Everyone, 

This is my first post here. I came back to FM recently after few years of hiatus and have been enjoying it thoroughly. I have got few issues to be fair though. 

I started Arsenal save recently and I have had serious issues when it comes to penalties. I have only scored 3 out of 10 penalties given this season, and players with high composure and penalty stats have been missing them. Santi Cazorla has missed 4, Berardi has missed 2-3 of them. Funny thing about this is that it happens almost every single time at 0-0. I end up missing the penalty and then draw the game. This just gave me suspicion that whether the engine actually decides who wins the game or result of the game randomly? 

Is this a bug? Any suggestions to solve this would be welcome. 

Thanks. 

If a player isn't scoring pens its a good idea to use other players which you have done to some extent until you find good penalty takers.

Its not just down to a couple of attributes though, other things like technique & decision making are important while the mentality of the player needs to be considered.  How well do they handle pressure? How are they feeling at the moment in the game they take the penalty? are they nervous? complacent? motivated?

Despite having played FM since the start I can't tell a good penalty/freekick taker just by looking at their profile etc.  I need to see them on the pitch taking them and its a case of trial & error.

18 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

If a player isn't scoring pens its a good idea to use other players which you have done to some extent until you find good penalty takers.

Its not just down to a couple of attributes though, other things like technique & decision making are important while the mentality of the player needs to be considered.  How well do they handle pressure? How are they feeling at the moment in the game they take the penalty? are they nervous? complacent? motivated?

Despite having played FM since the start I can't tell a good penalty/freekick taker just by looking at their profile etc.  I need to see them on the pitch taking them and its a case of trial & error.

Yes, I have tried different players. 2-3 players have been missing all the time, Only Alexis Sanchez seems to score every single time. Everyone else has missed some. I am not looking at profiles and expecting them to be good or proper penalty takers. Those are actually really good penalty takers in real life too. It is difficult to keep trying different takers when you hardly get that many penalties in the season and specially at crucial periods. I just thought it could be a bug as lot of people are reporting it or that the engine is designed in a way that it makes sure that certain results happen in certain kinda games. Funny thing is, West Ham away, Bournemouth away, United home, Sunderland away, I can recall missing penalties against these teams in these games with scoreline being 0-0. Could as well be coincidence but then I don't know what it is. 

This is obviously in addition to injuries issue i have had with Arsenal save, 10 injuries by October and I don't overplay nor have heavy workload in training. I do play fast paced/high work rate attacking football but I rotate all the time. But it is frustrating when training intensity is low and players regularly keep getting training injuries even up to breaking leg. 

I mean, injuries are realistic with Arsenal, so is the fact that we do bottle lot of away games but amount of missed penalties are pretty far from realism offered. 

Same way, too realistic to get Bayern in group stages of CL and then even after I topped that group, I end up getting Barcelona. :lol::lol:

It depends on the mental strenghts of the player. My first penalty taker hit every single penalty during the season and is successful, but in penalty shootouts or important games he misses.

He doesn't like big games, so I've decided to change it in important games to players who relishes big games and it works.

38 minutes ago, H0lgersson said:

It depends on the mental strenghts of the player. My first penalty taker hit every single penalty during the season and is successful, but in penalty shootouts or important games he misses.

He doesn't like big games, so I've decided to change it in important games to players who relishes big games and it works.

You got a Mesut Ozil then. 

I posted about this on the feedback forum and I am playing FMT.  Mark Noble just keeps missing but other players have also missed quite a few.  Fortunately my keeper saves a few as well so guess it evens out.  The problem is for some reason the better penalty takers in real life seem to be among the worst in my saves.  Noble has missed three in 10 years IRL but has missed a hatful in my saves.  In FM12, 13, 14, 15, 16 he was always a consistent scorer from the spot as he is IRL so not quite sure what has gone on in this version.  Not quite sure if penalty taking stats are down to the researcher but if it is it's way off the mark this time round.  The funny thing is my team scores more direct free kicks than it does penalties!!

I've missed more than 50% as Liverpool over 3 seasons with penalty takers like Sturridge, Milner, Mauro Icardi, Origi, Firmino etc. Milner got 5 chances and missed them all, since then he haven't close to the penalty spot.

To be fair, we are saving a lot of penalties as well. I would say the AI has about the same conversion rate against us.

Last night I won a penalty shootout 2-1 away at Newcastle.  Newcastle missed four I missed two.  Five penalties were straight down the middle at the keeper and saved including Newcastle's last three which were identical.  I wouldn't have been happy if I was Rafa Benitez!!!!

I think part of the problem is that when players shoot down the middle goalkeepers don't dive like they do IRL.  In fact by standing there it is in fact excellent play by the keeper but it's very unusual for the keeper to stand there and not move for 90% of the penalties.

5 hours ago, zigaliro said:

are any of the missed penalties off target or are they just saved by the gk? I have never seen player shooting the penalty off target in FM hmm.

Yeh they do miss... I've never seen them hit the post as yet.. but seen wide and/or over.

4 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Just missed 7 in a row, 2 different penalty takers.

Seems streaky, if they miss one the chance of them missing the next one seems to go up.

I've just missed two in one match, different penalty takers.  I prefer getting a direct free kick as there is more chance of scoring.!!  Hate having to defend crosses in my box as well as that always seems to end up in a penalty.  Fortunately the opposition themselves miss half of them!!  Definitely a problem somewhere.

Granted, I'm on an older version, but here's my take on it.

I went through the same as you, wondering why players with, what should be, good necessary attributes missing penalties.

Then i started acting on staff recommendations. At the start of a season they recommend a few players for penalties.

I just assume they're taking much more information into account. It seems to be working anyway.

I don't know if you can request that input from them at any time, i just take note when the info is made available at the preseason meeting.

I thought that there was clearly and issue with too many penalties missed.  Have been doing a bit of digging stats wise and this is what I have found.  English Premier League only. 

In my current save I have two League games left, so it's near enough a full season, and up until now this is how penalties in the EPL stand.

FM Save EPL   2016/17.................Penalties taken..............102.............Penalties scored.................73.................Penalties missed........................29

Now here are real life stats from the EPL in the last few seasons including how things stand currently for 2016/17

Premier League 2016-17.............Penalties taken...............94..........Penalties scored......................75.................Penalties missed........................19

Premier League 2015-16.............Penalties taken...............91..........Penalties scored......................74.................Penalties missed........................17

Premier League 2014-15.............Penalties taken...............83..........Penalties scored......................63.................Penalties missed........................20

Premier League 2013-14.............Penalties taken...............87..........Penalties scored......................73.................Penalties missed........................14

Premier League 2012-13.............Penalties taken...............83..........Penalties scored......................66.................Penalties missed........................17

Premier League 2011-12.............Penalties taken...............99..........Penalties scored......................71.................Penalties missed........................28

Premier League 2010-11.............Penalties taken..............101..........Penalties scored.....................79.................Penalties missed........................22

Premier League 2009-10.............Penalties taken..............106..........Penalties scored.....................85.................Penalties missed........................21

Premier League 2008-09.............Penalties taken...............83..........Penalties scored......................67.................Penalties missed........................16

Premier League 2007-08.............Penalties taken...............82..........Penalties scored......................61.................Penalties missed........................21

Premier League 2006-07.............Penalties taken..............105..........Penalties scored.....................84.................Penalties missed........................21

Premier League 2005-06.............Penalties taken...............73..........Penalties scored......................56................Penalties missed.........................17

Premier League 2004-05.............Penalties taken...............74..........Penalties scored......................62................Penalties missed.........................12

So in FM a slightly higher percentage missed but I guess if they were real life stats they wouldn't look totally out of the ordinary.  My main bugbear about penalties is that I think a too higher percentage are given for apparent pushes from long balls (free kicks, crosses, throw in's) into the box and there is arguably nothing tactically you can do about it.  One would hope after the first four or five your players would stop doing it!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived