noikeee

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
k0tSawJ.png

October-November 2031

Competitions

v0f36f6.jpg

Against a motivated Stuttgart side overperforming in the league, we got our first defeat of the season in the league, a bitter blow to our title chances. Nevertheless we pushed on with two big wins over Gladbach and Leverkusen. Against Schalke's atypical narrow 4-3-3, I tried to be clever using 3 CBs and this resulted in a goalless draw, again momentarily halting our progress as we let Bayern open up a 8 points lead at the top (!). However afterwards we've been impressive, comfortably beating Hertha, Karlsruhe and Mainz, as we recover and cut that lead to 4 points.

In the Champions League, an increasingly impressive Man Utd side boosted by the signings of ex-HSV players Tinajero and Miyagawa, beat us 1-0 at Old Trafford in quite possibly the only match all season so far where the opposition looked clearly superior. However the rest of the group is not up to this level. Shakhtar were easily brushed aside by Portuguese-Brazilian striker Valdecir, he is having his most impressive season yet for us and scored a hat-trick in Ukraine plus the lone goal in the return match. In Israel it was the time for veteran Fabián López to shine, scoring a poker in a rare start, and qualifying us convincingly for the next round, with even a chance of topping the group if we still beat Utd in the final match.

In the cup, Kaiserslautern's bus frustrated us for 83 minutes until Federico Gords broke the deadlock. This was a poor performance but we continue in the competition.

Yef0F2S.jpg

We're building up momentum, but for how long? Is this a genuine recovery or yet another false dawn? I can't really tell... Bayern don't seem to have missed Tinajero and Dortmund have become spectacularly competitive over the last 2 seasons as well, so we need to be at our very best all year long if we're to finally win back the Bundesliga.

6 hours ago, Vilmar said:

Is Man Utd listed as fierce rival?

Nope, not on the rivals list at all. We haven't played them in any finals or anything, and the game knows nothing about my "rivalry" with Mourinho, so it makes sense. The only thing about Utd is that we've met them a few times over the last few years:

BDcTO9l.jpg

Yeah that's a lot of red dots. :mad:

ZPlmRSl.jpg

So we get Liverpool. They're a strong Liverpool side with some quality players, but should be within our means to beat them.

We're starting to see some odd names at this stage of the competition. Nacional got taken over by a tycoon, Stephen Allan, who moved them to a new stadium called Allan Park (!) here in Funchal, and won the league for the first time last season - but Allan has now scaled down his funding. Rennes have also been taken by a tycoon and have been hovering around my players for years.

jmnIOH4.jpg

This is why transfer clauses sometimes are the nicest thing. He's been gone for a year and half now, and has recently completed his 30th birthday. This increases his transfer fee from 51M€ to ~63M€.

The only bad thing is we'll have to play him soon in the Champions League.

9wQ0cah.jpg

Wait.. what the ****??? I didn't even notice this was happening.

They just came in and splashed the release clause like it was pocket change. He was having a good season. Damn...

piDJwQ0.jpg

k0tSawJ.png

December 2031-January 2032

A transfer window that didn't promise anything out of the ordinary went into overdrive when Bayern suddenly splashed the 101M€ for Alejandro León's release clause. Insane stuff! It blew apart our all-time record sale which was Tinajero for 91M€. The total income of 169M€ for sales this season is also a new club record.

Blessed with a sudden extra 101M€, I went out to spend it of course... but only to some extent. Whilst I didn't want to lose León who was having a very good season and was a player I expected to be a starter in the next couple of years, I did have a surplus of midfielders. Even more now that CB/DM/MC Maicon has returned from loan - I don't want him but am struggling to offload him anywhere else. Or struggling to offload anyone else as well. So with a more than full squad, I went out to get 3 entirely unnecessary players, although only one is expected to be anywhere near the first team soon:

9ATLivD.jpg

I don't recall this keeper from my time managing Iran, but I do remember Iran had a surplus of good keepers. He is mildly promising and at a 350K€ transfer fee, there's little risk.

AajUMnD.jpg

Now I did go absolutely stupid mode for this guy - 10M€ is a wild fee, and it can increase to 12M€ if he comes good. But, we have a mountain of money to spend, why not try to get one of the most promising teenagers in Germany? It's too early to know if he can make it at the very top level, but he could.

iDz4yy6.jpg

And here's a guy I expect to be at our frontline for the next few years. Aged 20, already with 7 goals in 8 caps for Brazil. Now, I don't actually trust him just yet and my plan was to loan him to develop a little, whilst letting Alfonso, Santiago, Valdecir and Fabián be our 4 strikers for now. However nobody would pick him up on loan so I'll just have one forward too many. It won't be too many years until Fabián and Alfonso are too old to play, and then he'll have plenty of space.

Competitions

HlT9b1l.jpg

We were recovering at a good pace in the league with yet another comfortable win now over Wolfsburg, when disaster struck, yet again with the dreaded 1-0 away loss (ALL our losses this season have been like this). We didn't play well at Leipzig and paid the price, when we know very well we can't drop points, like, ever, if we want to be champions. We recovered with a win over Bremen before the winter break, only to stumble again at Freiburg in the return, but quite frankly I don't know what else should we have done - 5 absolute slam dunk super clear cut chances, all missed, Freiburg score theirs. Sigh. We then smashed Köln before a huge match against Dortmund, and you know what, we aced it, spectacular performance. We catch up Dortmund with this, but Bayern is still at some distance.

In the Champions League, I actually got one over Mourinho this time, beating Utd 2-1 at home with some rotated players, even. This gave us 1st place in the group ahead of them, meaning we drew Liverpool whilst they have to deal with Real. It's a minor advantage but I'd rather be in our place than theirs.

In the cup, for once we had no problem with the small team and Regensburg were easily beaten 3-0. Hannover awaits now.

H95lsKC.jpg

We're getting there and quite possibly playing the most confident, effective football of the last few seasons, but the perfect record is still beyond us and another 2 losses - one right about fair, another hugely unlucky - greatly hurt our progress. Bayern are still 2 points ahead and have 2 games in hand due to having gone to play the Club World Cup. However, there's a golden chance right now in February as we host Bayern, it's a must-win if we hold any hopes of still turning this around.

12 hours ago, deltablue said:

That sounds like you might have quite a chase on your hands.

Quite the ****** season again in my hands, I'm afraid. :( 

11 hours ago, john1 said:

some crazy outgoing transfers :eek: The Iran goalkeeper looks pretty decent.

He's okay. I'm more excited about Wilsão.

So I just realized, after 8 years at the club (!!!), this is the current situation with HSV II staff:

WulB1PN.jpg

This might explain why everyone develops well at U19 level then stalls once they move up to HSV II. :lol:

g4Gg1kR.jpg

One of our all-time great European nights. After an absolutely dismal 1st leg, in which we were 3-0 down and were highly lucky to still get the away goal, I had very little hopes for the 2nd leg. Cue a start with 2 goals within the first 10 minutes to immediately put us ahead in the tie, and then just a spectacularly inspired first half that saw us reach half-time 5-0 up. We'd stop scoring and concede one, but what a great win.

k0tSawJ.png

February-March 2032

Competitions

qjLWe4f.jpg

Boosted by the win over Dortmund, we appeared mounting a recovery at the very top and had a golden opportunity to go get Bayern as well. Pure illusion. For once we had zero tactical answers for Bayern and lost 2-0 fair and square, handing them a big lead in the table. Nevertheless the show must go on and we beat Braunschweig, before coming unstuck yet again in a goalless draw vs a highly defensive side in Hoffenheim - a match notable for the fact they attempted zero shots on goal. However, after this we have been happier, with good wins over Hannover, Stuttgart, Gladbach and Leverkusen.

In the Champions League, not too long after the defeat to Bayern, a Liverpool side that set itself up remarkably similar also dominated us, and we were lucky to leave Anfield with even a 3-1 defeat, a late away goal by Alfonso Martínez not representative of anything we did. I braced for an early exit for the competition but in one of our best performances ever, we reached half-time in the 2nd leg 5-0 up and comfortably went through. Barcelona awaits now.

In the cup, a brace from the increasingly inspired Santiago Quiñones - notice his 9 goals in 5 matches later on - helped us beat Hannover to set up an explosive semi-final away at Dortmund.

sPeZ1Iz.jpg

I think we no longer have chances in the league but nevertheless there's an impressive new kind of resilience brewing in this side. Whether it's the cup or the big Champions League, I still have solid hopes of finally getting a trophy again this season, let's see what the final 2 very active months of the season will bring.

MFZBlcW.jpg

This was never a problem. We seem to do well against Barça's ultra-open style and if they still put a bit of a fight in the 1st leg, we just carved them apart time and time again in the Camp Nou.

Now, this however...

fSZ09CR.jpg

... this might just be the most explosive semi-finals possible, with two national derbies between quite possibly the 4 strongest teams in Europe at the moment. We are all recent European champions - Man Utd in 25/26, HSV in 27/28, Man City in 29/30 and Bayern in 30/31. At the moment Bayern and Man Utd are the 2 teams I don't want to face, ever, so this is a very tough challenge. But... I fancy beating Bayern over 2 legs more than over 1 match. Can we take revenge for last year's final? (and for all they've done to us in the league)

TsrUvJr.jpg

After a first leg in which everything that could've gone wrong, went wrong - an early red card, 2 goals conceded from long shots and a 3rd from a cross deflected by one of our defenders - we went to Munich with zero hopes of doing the impossible. In these circumstances, I'm happy enough to have gotten our 1st win over Bayern this season, although we missed a penalty in the 2nd half that could've put us very close to tying everything.

It's now a Bayern v Mourinho in the final, pretty much my horror scenario, after Tinajero scored 4 goals in their 1st leg to kill off Man City.

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

Not beating Hoffenheim was quite an achievement. I thought I had it bad a few times but that was another level entirely. 

To be fair we did have a lot of long shots, but, lol. Just not our day. :lol:

k0tSawJ.png

April-May 2032

Competitions

cXZPKAh.jpg

A surprise defeat away to a strong Schalke side was probably not how we wanted to kick off April. Hertha were much easier - 5-1 win - but then luck just didn't want anything with us as we lost to Karlsruhe 2-0 with 5 very clear cut chances for us and just 3 shots on target all match for Karlsruhe. Honestly, for me this was even worse than that famous 0-0 draw with Hoffenheim. Against such ridiculous luck there's just nothing I could do, but ignore and proceed, and so we continued beating Mainz and Wolfsburg. Two matches remained and we were just barely ahead of Lepizig and Dortmund in 2nd, with a crucial tie against Leipzig next. They did not quite park the full bus against us, but got the 0-0 draw. Thankfully, Dortmund also drew so we reached the final match only depending on ourselves to clinch 2nd place. And a comfortable 4-0 win over Bremen did it.

In the Champions League, I'm getting used to doing well against Barcelona and we did it again. The 1st leg at home was trickier than expected, we conceded a goal and reach the last 10 minutes tied 1-1, but managed to score twice more. It was a good-but-not-very-comfortable to bring to the Camp Nou, but there we easily walked past their very open defence to win 2-0 again. However the semi-finals opponent was Bayern. In a horror show of bad luck, a red card, 2 long shots and an owngoal resulted in a very bad 3-0 defeat at home. A 1-0 win in the 2nd leg was good, but we fall in the semi-finals this year.

In the cup, it was an absolute classic match away at Dortmund with Valdecir on fire getting the hat-trick in a 3-2 win. A great performance that qualified us for the cup final again after an absence of a few years. The only problem was... guess the opponents. Yeah, them. Unlike the Champions League matches in which we had played well, we entered this cup final pretty badly, conceding two goals in quick succession in minutes 12 and 16, both scored by Brazilian forward Renan Sóbis. Bayern were very motivated after this and despite trying our best all match long, we couldn't mount any sort of comeback.

qbJSTBI.jpg

With yet another trophyless season, you might think I am disappointed, but I'm actually pretty encouraged overall. This was by far the strongest season we've had recently, with a strong showing in all 3 competitions - even the less impressive points total in the Bundesliga still meant we return to 2nd place, which we had not achieved the past 2 seasons - and with only Bayern beating us in all 3. It feels like we're on the brink of greatness here, it's just that there's this even greater team slightly above us, beating us to everything.

k0tSawJ.png

Season review 2031/32

A minor step forward sees us return to 2nd place in the Bundesliga, return to the cup final, and a Champions League semi-final presence was also decent. However, it's the 3rd consecutive season without a trophy (or 4th without a major trophy, as in 28/29 we had won only the UEFA Supercup).

A spectacular 166M€ in the bank after the insane 101M€ sale of Alejandro León to Bayern. However, we're about to splash a lot of this cash too with deals already agreed for next season!

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

sign8Yk.jpg

A strange season where the following 5 players clearly stood out, yet I could choose them in any order I wanted with very little separating them, and not all fit in the same starting 11:

5. Santiago Quiñones (ST) - After a spectacularly poor year last season, he finally came good this year with our change of tactics (we've been playing only exclusively variants of a diamond based on the Uruguayan Tiki-Taka tactic now), rotating between the DLF and AF slots, and eventually finishing as top scorer joint with Alfonso Martínez. 23 goals, 12 assists. Now do I actually trust him? No. On form he is unstoppable but he seems to disappear when I most need him.

4. Russell Fillion (DL, DR) - Still a beast of a player but now has serious competition from Jeremias Gulde, and in fact the younger guy got twice as many assists as he got. Being 29 years old, with just 1 more year in his contract, and absolutely dead set to leave the club, I think Fillion's time in Hamburg is coming to an end, after so many sensational seasons.

3. Jeremias Gulde (DL) - A sensational first season at the club for the 21 year old. Possessing a daunting combo of 17 dribbling, 17 acceleration, 18 pace, 17 agility, he danced past defenders at will all season long - even despite being "inconsistent" -, finishing with 14 assists, and the highest ratings in the team on par with Fillion (7.39). For now Fillion has had more playing time, but that won't be the case for long.

2. Valdecir (ST) - A very similar case to Jeremias Gulde: he spent less time on the pitch in his position than an older player (Quiñones), is also "inconsistent", but quite possibly outperformed him. 22 goals and 15 assists look like numbers equal to Quiñones, not superior, but then you realize he played less. Valdecir has been here for a few seasons now, but quite clearly exploded now and is ready to be a starter.

1. Alfonso Martínez (ST, AMC) - I struggled to pick the best of our 3 strikers. Quiñones got 23 goals, Valdecir 22, Alfonso 23. I'll still pick the now veteran - 30 years old - Alfonso Martínez as player of the year again because of his characteristics, he played almost exclusively as DLF not AF which should get him less goals in the current system, yet there he is with similar goalscoring numbers to the 2 younger strikers. A gem of a player who will soon have to replace - or can the Quiñones-Valdecir duo be good enough on their own?

Mourinho watch

I've stopped just short of playing the CL final which might make Mourinho champion of Europe again (or give Bayern a quadruple). What I can say is that Mourinho and Man Utd, now led by Tinajero who has scored 37 goals this season, are also set for a quadruple after having won the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup.

Career progress table

*** CLUB ***

Season   League                  Cups                              Continental                    Other
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Español (Uruguay)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016     Segunda Div - 4th       
2017     Segunda Div - 1st                                                                        Champions, promoted
2018     Camp. Uruguayo - 2nd (Ap. 4th, Int. finalists, Cl. 3rd)                                  Qualified for Libertadores
Nacional (Uruguay)
2019     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 4th, Int. Grps 2nd , Cl. 1st)   Libertadores 1st Pre. Rnd      Lost Champions Playoff
2020     Camp. Uruguayo - 1st (Ap. 2nd, Int. winners, Cl. 1st)     Libertadores winners           League+Int+Libertadores treble
Twente (Netherlands)
2020/21  Eredivisie - 13th                                                                        Joined in December
2021/22  Eredivisie - 9th        KNVB Beker semi-final
2022/23  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker 3rd round                                             Champions
2023/24  Eredivisie - 1st        KNVB Beker winners, JCS winners   CL groups, EL semi-finals      Won domestic double+Supercup
HSV (Germany)
2024/25  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal quarter final                                          Qualified for Champions League
2025/26  Bundesliga - 4th        DFB-Pokal quarter final           CL groups, EL 1st KO round     Qualified for Champions League
2026/27  Bundesliga - 1st        DFB-Pokal winners                 CL 1st KO round                Won domestic double
2027/28  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal winners, Supercup finl. CL winners                     Champions League + Cup double
2028/29  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal 3rd rnd, Supercup finl. CL 1st KO r, USC win, CWC fin. Only won UEFA Supercup
2029/30  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal 2nd rnd, Supercup finl. CL quarter-finals
2030/31  Bundesliga - 3rd        DFB-Pokal semi-finals             CL finalists
2031/32  Bundesliga - 2nd        DFB-Pokal finalists               CL semi-finals

*** INTERNATIONAL ***

Ivory Coast U23s
2024     Olympics - finalists
Portugal U23s
2028     Olympics - winners
Costa Rica
2030     World Cup playoff - winners, qualified for World Cup
2030     World Cup - group stage
Iran
2031     Asian Cup - quarter-finals

OohE3zQ.jpg

Nice! I just attempted to ask this for the first time, I should've asked sooner.

Or maybe I should've gone straight for a whole new stadium. This is barely 4000 extra seats for a cost of 30M€ - the current stadium holds 57000 people already...

k0tSawJ.png

June-July 2032 - Pre-season transfers

Player sales and loans:

1FkgtAB.jpg

SoI1Y69.jpg

Total: 68M€

A long list because I had a major clear-out of all the youth teams. The main deals saw 3 first team players leave. Centre-back Juan Guadalupe and midfielder Jordy Ngongé have been here for a very long time, and were at certain points key players, but now they were both 30 years old and no longer starters, so I sold them both, respectively for 15M€ (in a deal that can reach 20,5M€ for Guadalupe) and 16M€. It remains to be seen if we'll miss them, because they were quality 1st backup options and I've not replaced them directly yet. The third sale was of right-back Mehmet Yilmaz who had been here only for a year. Unhappy with his performances, I shipped him to Rennes for 17,75M€ and used the cash to go get an upgrade for the position.

Interestingly we're now able to make profit on youth players. Beyond all the loans for money - very lucrative! - we are starting to sell the youth players that once looked promising, but now looked highly unlikely to make it. This includes the once youth academy gem left-back Amer Jahic 25B (2,6M€ to Bremen), centre-back Stefan Knechtel 26D (2M€ to Union Berlin), Serbian AMC Nenad Kostic (3,5M€ to Karlsruhe), full-of-flair attacking midfielder Alexander Peters 26A (2M€ to Braunschweig), and winger Lazaros Papathanasiou 26C (1,8M€ to Frankfurt). This is a total of over 10M€ for a bunch of players that stalled, and we hardly had any use for beyond a cup match or a major injury crisis, so I'm pretty damn happy with that.

New signings:

ozRShYA.jpg

Total: 100M€

We continue to spend on a small number of quality players. This time we actually broke our all-time transfer record for Chris Price! The 66M€ fee is just marginally larger than the 65M€ we paid for Paul Diaby a couple of seasons ago. 

8GgJBCz.jpg

What better way to get one over Bayern than to poach their future? Mark Altvater was one of theirs most promising players, and one of Germany's finest at his age, and we grabbed him for 4,7M€. Risky move for such a young player but I think he looks promising enough to justify the price.

kluVrPw.jpg

The big signing! Aged 26 we can still get some 5 seasons at top level from him, and for a player that looks to be not just a better backup than Mehmet Yilmaz was, but an upgrade on our starting right-back Gaoussou Coulibaly, he looks worth it. There's very few RBs this good in world football.

oshQj0n.jpg

A bit of a hopeful punt for no risk, coming in on a free transfer. I loaned him off back to Argentina immediately. I don't expect him to make the 1st team, but could get us profit in a year or two.

ts4XvM7.jpg

With Alfonso Martínez aged 30 and Fabián López aged 31, a common theme in recent seasons has been to try to rejuvenate our lineup of strikers. Patrick Maurice is somewhat one-dimensional but very good at what he does, I see him as the future Fabián López. 29M€ for a wonderkid seems fair.

The main squad for the 2032/2033 season:

RigMZtn.jpg

This would've been one of my shortest squads in years - I'm wondering if I should still pick up someone to replace Guadalupe and/or Ngongé - other than for one critical flaw: a massive surplus of strikers, with a total of 6 for 2 positions. We have a problem here: Fabián López no longer plays but nobody else wants to pick him up; and Alfonso Martínez is still our best player and I don't want to sell for any rival, or sell him at all for that matter, but runs out of contract this season too. An alternative could be to loan out the younger guys Wilsão and/or Patrick Maurice, but the only teams that want them are Bayern and Dortmund!

JG9LVjF.jpg

Getting ready for the attack on the new season. The first official match is our return to the German Supercup as we face Bayern yet again... Notice I'm still yet to win that competition, could it finally be this time!

6 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Ouch. A lot of stuff has happened, and a lot of it had been really painful for you. 

Tinajero... Ouch.

Bayern... Ouch.

Mourinho... :( 

It's a process. The pain is easing. Or maybe I'm just used to it now. :D

3 hours ago, Lenzar said:

Is there any chance at all that Bayern's manager will move elsewhere or retire?

Then you'd be set for life. :D

I don't know if Unay Emery moving would change that much. I thought Bayern would become weaker without Tinajero... then they were the only to beat us in all 3 competitions last year.

Hey, just caught up on this story over the last couple days :) I had a save in 2015 where I think I started at Peterborough then went to Vitesse then Hamburg. I remember Bayern being a pain, I'm not sure but I think I remember they did eventually and suddenly decline. I'll have to find the save, I still have it somewhere.

You seem much more clued up on tactics and youth development than me so I'm sure you'll topple them soon 😁

21 hours ago, Blah_1123 said:

Hey, just caught up on this story over the last couple days :) I had a save in 2015 where I think I started at Peterborough then went to Vitesse then Hamburg. I remember Bayern being a pain, I'm not sure but I think I remember they did eventually and suddenly decline. I'll have to find the save, I still have it somewhere.

You seem much more clued up on tactics and youth development than me so I'm sure you'll topple them soon 😁

I imagine someone reading the last 10 or so pages thinking "well that's it he's going to beat Bayern now... no, okay, maybe not this season, maybe the next.... well okay it must be happening soon otherwise this wouldn't have 19 pages and he'd have given up yet.... well not yet, next season maybe?"

:onmehead:

19 hours ago, john1 said:

Pretty decent signings you have brought in. I am sure you will beat Bayern this season ;) 

You know what? Done! I've beat them at something for once.

uOCGVYP.jpg

giphy.gif giphy.gif

Our first German Supercup. It's only been 9 years in the making...

k0tSawJ.png

August-September 2031

Only one deal was completed during August, and it was the sad departure of an absolutely legendary player. 194 league matches and 148 goals in those matches later (nevermind the many goals in other competitions, such as the 15 en route to Champions League glory in 27/28), after 8 seasons in Hamburg, the first 5 seasons of which had been absolutely glorious, Fabián López is gone, at the age of 31. We just couldn't justify having him anymore, with 3 world class strikers ahead in the pecking order and another 2 young kids ready to become world class strikers soon, and the best deal I could get was to send him off on a free to Bologna whilst we still have to pay part of his wages.

Competitions

Fmsa2lo.jpg

First match of the season gave us something we'd been missing for over 3 years now: a trophy! Uncharacteristically Bayern were poor against us, and an inspired Valdecir put us 2 goals up. Our former player and record sale Alejandro León would still reduce for Bayern but we resisted for the rest of the match. HSV WIN THE GERMAN SUPERCUP!

In the cup, 2-0 was a poor scoreline at the end vs tiny Alzenau, the positive was that new signing Patrick Maurice scored twice in his debut for the club. I've not played him much yet but there's talent there.

In the Bundesliga, boom, wins be happening. 2-0 over Freiburg. 2-0 over Karlsruhe. 1-0 over Bremen. Everyone tried to park the bus against us, we keep on just about breaking those buses. Then out of nowhere, a big match against Dormund. And we were great! We were up against it after Jeremias Gulde got sent off with 42 minutes to go still, but we held on and even increased our advantage to 2-0 with 10 men. Feeling confident, we went to Nürnberg to win 4-0 and make it 5 wins in 5 without conceding a goal.

In the Champions League, it really looked as if Benfica would be the first bus to frustrate us this season but a meagre Alfonso Martínez goal late in the 2nd half killed them. In the Bernabéu, Real were predictably more open but it was a end-to-end match that looked like falling our way when Diaby got the late 2nd half goal too. But then... minute 90... and my former Twente striker Dariusz Furlepa scores an amazing screamer off the bar to equalize, and stop our little early season record of consecutive matches without conceding.

bIk8C8T.jpg

I don't want to get overexcited as we're not exactly blitzing past everyone, but this is quite simply our best start to a season in a very long time - maybe ever. And we got a trophy, too. Extremely early days but the signs are looking good for 2032/2033.

7 minutes ago, john1 said:

Superb start to the season :cool: But massive point against Real Madrid away! :thup: 

Would've felt like a more rewarding point if they hadn't scored the equalizer on the 90th with a long shot!

15 hours ago, noikeee said:

8XNT0ws.jpg

This might not have been my greatest idea ever.

Another one for the bug list? 

Pity about Tinajero. Seems like he can somehow perform in big matches if the manager can motivate him to do so. Not meant as a criticism of you in anyway. I have experienced players who are either inconsistent performers or "dreads big matches" still perform well, week in week out. Could it be a case of their CA being too good for their level of play, tactics suited to their style or good management? 

Happy that your latest tactic is working so far as well. Seems like it is much harder to mount a come back from 1-0 down instead of forcing in a goal in the last 15 min. 

3 hours ago, inthisspace said:

Another one for the bug list? 

Pity about Tinajero. Seems like he can somehow perform in big matches if the manager can motivate him to do so. Not meant as a criticism of you in anyway. I have experienced players who are either inconsistent performers or "dreads big matches" still perform well, week in week out. Could it be a case of their CA being too good for their level of play, tactics suited to their style or good management? 

Happy that your latest tactic is working so far as well. Seems like it is much harder to mount a come back from 1-0 down instead of forcing in a goal in the last 15 min. 

Yeah I think with Tinajero I put a bit too much stock on the "dislikes big matches" trait he had. After keeping an eye on his performances for years for Bayern, Man Utd and Mexico it seems clear he might not be at that very same level he is in regular unimportant matches, but he is so crazy good he can still make a difference. I think the problem I had with him when I managed him, is that he just wasn't suited at all to the 2nd striker role I was stubbornly trying to give him next to Fabián López. For Bayern and Utd he's playing as lone striker and does the job of 2 strikers tbh.

Archived