Women's football

\'Appy \'Ammer

Also no. Not yet, anyway.

I'm as strong an advocate for women's football being included in FM as anyone on these forums, but I'm also a realist. The global commercial market is just not there at the moment.

As far as I'm aware, SI have no plans to include women's football until several national leagues get average attendances on a par with the Championship. To put things into context, as of right now, the WSL is struggling to match the Conference in that respect.

Do you not think the whole future of the women's game is changing for the better?? I've seen massive strides forward in the past 4 or 5 years. I have no figures to go by, but I wonder what percentage of gamers are women and would the introduction of women's football into FM be more appealing to the female market? It may also raise the women's game's profile within a male dominated football world. Am I right in thinking women's football made it into the FIFA series? So why not FM? 

50 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Do you not think the whole future of the women's game is changing for the better?? I've seen massive strides forward in the past 4 or 5 years.

It has certainly grown in stature, particularly here in England with the advent of the WSL and our excellent performances at the last World Cup.

Globally, though, there's still a lot more room to grow. Going by attendances again, America's NWSL - perhaps the biggest women's league around - averaged around 5,500 per game last season. That's nearly 1,500 more than three years ago, but it's still not great.

I have no figures to go by, but I wonder what percentage of gamers are women and would the introduction of women's football into FM be more appealing to the female market? It may also raise the women's game's profile within a male dominated football world.

Studies suggest that around half of all gamers are women, but I'd say that they're far more likely to be playing mobile games and RPGs than sports games. It's impossible to describe in percentages how many FIFA/FM players are female, but I'd imagine that the figure is very small.

I'd also argue that any female players who would be interested in FM are already playing/have already played it. They most likely want to manage their favourite team in the men's professional leagues, play through a journeyman career, or whatever - they're no different from us male FMers. Adding women's leagues in itself might not lead to the big influx of female FMers that you probably suspect would happen.

Am I right in thinking women's football made it into the FIFA series? So why not FM?

The big caveat with women's football in FIFA is that only 16(?) national teams have been included so far. (No club sides such as Manchester City or Lyon as of yet.)

With FM, you can't get away with just adding national teams and a handful of leagues. SI would have to create a large database covering thousands of players at hundreds (if not thousands) of clubs worldwide to do the women's game justice. In a lot of areas (e.g. large parts of Africa), finding such data might prove problematic at best.

I know that what I've just pointed out was absolutely obvious, but adding women's football to FM would be a massive task that'd take years of effort - and a lot of resources - to implement properly. Right now, with the women's football market still very small and niche compared to its male, more mainstream counterpart, that is not yet viable.

I've answered your questions above in more detail.

I don't want to belabour the point too much, but the time is not yet right to include women's football in FM. As good an idea as it would be, I can't realistically see it happening for at least another 5 years.

I accept the above points. I hope it's not continually shunned in the future though. Would it achieve Championship attendances anytime soon? Maybe not for a generation. After all, there's enough posts on these forums of people managing in Gibraltar or San Marino small club to big club challenges. Taking a women's club to the top and then trying to break into the men's clubs would be a challenge that takes it to another level.

Hope Powell was linked with the Grimsby Town job  a few years ago. Maybe it would take something like that to happen as well, to change some opinions. 

No and No. Game needs improvements in lots of areas, and I don't want SI using resources to focus on the woman's game. There isn't a huge market for it anyway. Maybe in 5-10 years, but definitely not in the short term

I don't think the attendance is a problem - we do include the welsh premier league and other leagues with low attendances. And you never know, there is the possibility that increased publicity will lead to increased attendance, which leads to more publicity and so on snowballing until women's football is at the size that Football Manager wants it to be at to add it in. Also adding in the possibility of women managers and increased backroom staff (I know female physios already are on the game) moving into the mens game would lead to some interesting simulations of whether they would be successful.

That being said I also understand that there are a lot of issues with adding them in, immediate ones being transfers and keeping the 2 genders separate on the field (that may be easy to code, I don't know it's just an example where I can imagine bugs could appear.).

There are about 40,000 people playing FM at anyone time so notbsure how much of a boost in popularity we'd provide the the global appeal of Women's football.

Even the might of EA's consumer base didn't seem to have any impact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived