Question re youth intake day

7 minutes ago, eriktous said:

It would be much easier if the message from your HoYD allowed you to select which ones to give a contract to, instead of the current all or none choice.

What version are you playing?....

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

A drop down list with a tick box would be useful with an option to sign selected players but worth considering in what situation would you not sign your youth intake?

When they suck?

Just now, suncrush said:

When they suck?

How do you know they suck?

Poor personalities can be tutored & improved while stars shouldn't be believed.  They are simply initial opinions, I've had players with 1.5*PA turn into 3*+ players & ones with 3*+ PA end up being released as they never got past 1.5*s.

3 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

How do you know they suck?

Poor personalities can be tutored & improved while stars shouldn't be believed.  They are simply initial opinions, I've had players with 1.5*PA turn into 3*+ players & ones with 3*+ PA end up being released as they never got past 1.5*s.

When I have 30 U18 and U21 players with 3.5-4.5*PA's, I'm not going to be able to play all of them anyway.  I'm not taking a flyer on a 1.5* who is unlikely to work out.  If I'm wrong, I'll buy them from Everton in a few years.  No skin off my back.

13 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

A drop down list with a tick box would be useful with an option to sign selected players but worth considering in what situation would you not sign your youth intake?

I've had a youth intake with 5 strikers, these 5 will be on top of the strikers already in the squad, so it'll be impossible to keep them all match fit.

16 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Lower league with a very tight and limited budget. I only retain those for whom I need someone to fill a position gap. My entire playing squad, youths included never exceeds 30, usually nearer 24.

2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Lower league with a very tight and limited budget. I only retain those for whom I need someone to fill a position gap. My entire playing squad, youths included never exceeds 30, usually nearer 24.

I usually have the opposite problem! My youth team is almost always bulging at the seams after a season or 2! I usually keep all the intake plus scout out other youth prospects.

To answer the original question, my HOYD is assigned to sign the intake and he almost always signs all of them. I usually go along with it, but if I notice he's signing a duff player where I already have depth, I usually remove the contract offer. Better to do this, then forget to offer a contract and have a wonderkid slip through the net

16 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Personally this is the only circumstances I wouldn't sign all the youth intake.

You really need to give the youth intake players at least a year to get an idea of them.  That idea can still be wrong in the long term but the stars and information change so much in the first six months/one year that its foolish not to give them that time.

2 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Personally this is the only circumstances I wouldn't sign all the youth intake.

You really need to give the youth intake players at least a year to get an idea of them.  That idea can still be wrong in the long term but the stars and information change so much in the first six months/one year that its foolish not to give them that time.

The best clue as to whether they'll get a second year with me is their response to training. Those who moan about the workload - out.

To Mark1985 - HO what? Down in level 23 I'M the head of this and that, scout, kitman, tealady, the lot. There's just the chairman, me and the assman. I can't get a single coach, physio, scout or anyone to join. It's great! 

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

The best clue as to whether they'll get a second year with me is their response to training. Those who moan about the workload - out.

To Mark1985 - HO what? Down in level 23 I'M the head of this and that, scout, kitman, tealady, the lot. There's just the chairman, me and the assman. I can't get a single coach, physio, scout or anyone to join. It's great! 

Level 23? Isn't that basically Hackney Marshes? Insert generic quote re the good old days, 1 man and his dog, and pampered pros...

4 minutes ago, mark1985 said:

Level 23? Isn't that basically Hackney Marshes? Insert generic quote re the good old days, 1 man and his dog, and pampered pros...

No, Hackney Marsh teams are half a dozen levels higher! I start with grays, and when the youth intake arrive I upgrade to kids with CA of 1-4. Seriously that bad - but so are the opposition.

2 minutes ago, mark1985 said:

Wow. I'm strangely fascinated. I am considering a youth LLM homegrown save with all the players from the same city/region at the moment. I love a bit of masochism...

I mentioned recently on the thread on this L23 file in the Editors' forum that L23 is ideal. My regens typically start with stamina of 1-3. The L23 division has only 9 teams, and the next few have mostly 10 or less. It means matches are mostly once a fortnight, allowing enough recovery time for the kids to play most of the matches and thereby develop quickly. It's easy to pop the file in the editor and make a few tweaks and create your own custom-made club too.

17 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

The system I've always used, regardless of whether I'm playing as Barcelona or as a 7th division team, is, I give contracts to those with 1 yellow star of PA or more, and not to those with less than 1 yellow star. Maybe I'll open up a rare exception here and there, particularly if I don't trust my assistant manager's judgement or if a player's attributes look surprisingly good, but usually not.

Yes the staff are sometimes wrong, occasionally wildly wrong, I still find it extremely unlikely that a player will become useful when he can't even look decent within his age group, and I'd rather invest the club's time and resources on others. I'm yet to ever come across one of these players and regret it.

A UI revamp where we wouldn't have to offer contracts individually to every single player to do this, would be very welcome.

On 10/3/2016 at 11:09, Cougar2010 said:

I also basically bankrupted my team because not understanding what was going on, I signed my entire youth intake as a team in Vanarama National which took up a non trivial part of my wages.

I also tend to not sign players my scouts don't think have much promise, as much for roleplay. I promoted myself up to EPL now so youth contracts don't matter all that much, but if on first scout the player is only 0.5 stars I'll often roll the dice and not bother signing them.

I'm also a penny pincher... haha.

On 10/4/2016 at 05:10, noikeee said:

The system I've always used, regardless of whether I'm playing as Barcelona or as a 7th division team, is, I give contracts to those with 1 yellow star of PA or more, and not to those with less than 1 yellow star. Maybe I'll open up a rare exception here and there, particularly if I don't trust my assistant manager's judgement or if a player's attributes look surprisingly good, but usually not.

This is largely what I did once I started building up a larger youth system as I got more money.

On 10/4/2016 at 06:33, suncrush said:

My strategy is to scout literally every regen in the world, and sign any that are 3+ stars, and that will actually take a contract.

Does this just entail like, knowing what days the regens are on and finding all players 16 or under from those nations?

14 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

Does this just entail like, knowing what days the regens are on and finding all players 16 or under from those nations?

I go to the world transfer summary, click on Youth Intake, and scout everyone who shows up.  I typically do it on the first of the month.  When the big European intake happens, it does take a while.

I just skip past all the emails, and then, when the summer and winter transfer windows happen, I make everyone with 4 stars a transfer target, and see what I can get.

Since I'm playing as a major club, this results in me swimming in youth prospects, even accounting for the fact that a large fraction of the best candidates aren't interested in becoming part of my club.  I give them all a year, and then I cut anyone who isn't showing strong progress.  After they've been at the club three years, and count as having been trained there, I put them out on loan, and see what floats.

It's not the most efficient system, and I definitely miss prospects I could have had, but, hey, I have two kids.  I don't have the time to deep dive into the game and maximize everything.  It's something I play a lot because I can get up to wipe boogers or stop fights without it impacting the gameplay.

On 04/10/2016 at 12:10, noikeee said:

A UI revamp where we wouldn't have to offer contracts individually to every single player to do this, would be very welcome.

Indeed because it's not as if you have to negotiate a contract with each one, it's the bog standard youth contract they all sign to start with anyway.
I find that regardless of the quantity or quality of my current youth team, my HoYD always recommends signing all 16 newgens every season. Generally, I just agree because you never really know how good they may or may not turn out to be so at least give them a bit of time. Also, at that age, if their skills don't seem to match their current position(s), you always have the chance to retrain for a more suitable one.

Having said that, if a player has a really low value in an attribute that you know doesn't change or changes very little, like Natural Fitness, then I may not bother with him, especially if this combines with other really low ones in Determination, Work Rate and Pace/Acc.

I haven't found being selective with my youth signing to be that time consuming. Typically I use the U19 view to control-click those I don't want to sign, right click --> terminate trials, and then use the "Sign recommended players" button from the notification in my inbox. Quick and no need to go player by player to offer contracts.

I always sign the youth players, even when managing at lower levels. You're likely to have less efficient staff at lower league level, so their opinion won't always be accurate

It's also surprising what first team football can do for a players development

Archived