Do we have any pros or ex-pros among our ranks on here?

We all know there are professional footballers out there who love booting up FM and having a game. Do we have any among our ranks here, who don't mind ID'ing themselves? Or perhaps you were involved in a youth team in a pro club and you may even have been in the series at one point! :)

Cue lots of lads saying they are actually Rooney or Messi. :D

Was on the books at Bristol City when I was younger. Played as a goalkeeper, made a number of appearances for the Under 18 side, trained a few times a week alongside the senior goalkeepers and signed professional terms when I was 17.

Was released just before I turned 18. A number of niggling shoulder injuries were heavily restricting how much I could train and I was falling out of love with the game as well as beginning to realise that I really wasn't good enough to reach the level that I had wanted to get to. This was just over a decade ago when Bristol City were a mediocre League 1 club and I wasn't good enough to realistically stand a chance of being anything other than very average even at that level.

They released me, I dropped out the game entirely and went to University instead and now a decade later am perfectly happy with my decision to quit the sport.

Sadly no...but I have been a teacher for the last ten years and I love seeing kids I have taught pop up...there are about 15 in FM16...two who actually played in one of the U14's school teams I managed. (I played one left wing...he is now an England u17 international at centre back...probably why I play FM rather than make a living out of it!)

Never signed a professional contract but I was a trainee at the 'mighty' Grimsby Town in the late 80s after being recommended by then FA coach Ian Whyte, who had a number of links with Lincolnshire clubs.

We had a brilliant 'coaching camp' week, where we trained and played for 5 days and were also paid a visit by Man U CB pair Bruce and Pallister. I wasn't the most talented player but had more football intelligence than most. As Bob Paisley once said, "The first 5 yards are run in your head" and that's what I was like. I was also quite unpredictable which made me difficult to play against. I captained the 'A' team v 'B' team on the final day after impressing throughout the week and I even replicated Pele's move v Uruguay in 1970 (and also missed, just like he did, but we won't talk about that)...

Unfortunately, I was a bit of a mischievous youngster who liked playing a prank or two and this ending up costing me. We were all a bit boisterous on the Friday as it was our final night there and I got a bit carried away when I decided it would be a great laugh to spray shaving foam in one of the lads' beds when he was out of the room having a shower before we all went to bed. This ended up causing quite a stir and we were all hauled out into the corridor and made to sit on the floor for what seemed like an hour, but probably a lot less, while they investigated. Nobody grassed me up but I decided to confess rather than let everyone else suffer. I was made an example of and booted out :(

I lost my way after that and only played briefly for Welsh Premier League side Inter Cardiff in the mid-90s.

I do often wonder 'what if' but I've always been a bit of a maverick and don't think I would ever have had the discipline to have made it as a pro. Well, that's what I say to convince myself anyway.

15 hours ago, endtime said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hindmarch

I think this guy used to post here a few years ago.

Was going to mention this guy too.

Was initially very well thought of while at Carlisle but if I remember correctly was quite slight & small and struggled to make the leap from aged group football to senior football. 

He was very good in the game too at the time as a result of popular opinion about him back then.

19 hours ago, cpfcfm2009 said:

Sadly no...but I have been a teacher for the last ten years and I love seeing kids I have taught pop up...there are about 15 in FM16...two who actually played in one of the U14's school teams I managed. (I played one left wing...he is now an England u17 international at centre back...probably why I play FM rather than make a living out of it!)

That's brilliant. 

20 hours ago, cpfcfm2009 said:

I am also a teacher and have a couple of ex students in the game. I wish I could fine them retrospectively for that time they didn't submit an assignment but alas, there does not seem to be an option for that!

On 19/08/2016 at 23:04, cpfcfm2009 said:

Cool story bro  :cool:

Archived