FM16: VFB Stuttgart - Engineering German Success

LPQR

had to happen, didn't it? Rapp out for the rest of the season with his second long term injury of the year.... just as we progress to the CL quarters as well...

8e36203effc352d2e5c699b5f3b2e345.png

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 2021

stuttgart.jpg

things aren't going too shabby in the league... :)

0ed6ff1311d143eb5ff56a17ec8b22ea.jpg

5cd5f8621ce7005273d2e4c773bb6761.jpg

we've got a big match with Arsenal in the quarters of the CL, let's see if we can keep this form going

honestly....this must be the craziest match I've ever witnessed being played on FM....

05c383dddd8e2f0ae8dc7ce0359c85e0.jpg

let me list it out for you

- we were 3-1 up in the 14th minute 

- 12 minute hat-trick by Eggestein 

- from 1-3 to 4-3 for Arsenal

- we equalize to make it 4-4

- they score another 3 after despite logical tactical changes

- saved penalty by Leno only to concede another in 3 minutes

- 8 CCC's for Stuttgart and 2 for Arsenal

009ca2fc1f2c8af4aea473f5a5ff98f0.jpg

oh, this is too sweet... :D

a84780b88bd222e544ae20a18bb5127f.jpg

Getting Eggestein tutored by Klose must be one of the best decisions of my career, he's been unstoppable ever since and singlehandedly won us this tie with 5 goals in 2 matches

f97f65a7d5a9d6377ade9676ab531141.jpg

the best part must be Goretzka's winner though....

http://gph.is/2dMqYZ1

3 hours ago, davehibb said:

What a crazy tie!

Great goal to put you through though. :)

had 2 coffees and smoked half a pack of fags watching the 2 games, with minor coughs of frustration, disbelief and a violent coffee choke at Goretzka's goal :D

Just now, BoxToBox said:

That must be the Arsenal-iest thing that Arsenal could ever do. Put 7 past a team at home and still get knocked out of the CL. Amazing.

haha, we're playing Man U in the semis next ;) And mind you, this is a Man United team that has won 5 EPL titles in a row, 3 FA cups and 2 League Cups over the last 5 years, as well as reaching the CL final in 2017. The Lukaku-Marial-Griezmann trio is going to be tough to face, so I'm eager to see how this will turn out :D

May 2021 - Champions league semi-final

stuttgart.jpg

after that crazy match against Arsenal in the quarters, I decide to switch the tactic to our more defensively responsible 3-2-2-2-1 for the trip away at Old Trafford. A goalless draw is a good result for us, having been considered outsiders for this tie. I have to admit, we were a bit lucky, as we didn't create anything worthy in attack and only had one shot on target.

f9b829fc49ddca0dee318ff5cb667835.png

Second leg

Same approach used for the second tie. Great result and much better performance, albeit helped by their red card. We played like an Italian team over the two legs of this tie :D 

cfb6fa4f052a7d43fed052962105719c.png

So, ladies and gentlemen.....WE'RE IN THE FINAL!!!

a21d2ca8db40dce9c87ce9e7677ab2c0.png

Oh yes, Oh yes!

I doubt there is a more special way to play the first CL final in the club's history. A testament to the revival of the Sud Derby over the last 5 years, and it looks like we're going to get an audition first, with a DFB Pokal final to play for with the same opponents just a week before the CL final :) 

We are on the brink of greatness....

e1d0af77e7e1b49108d0f11d137f80dd.png

9d50baa110b4689befbbfea8ad78dd34.png

Well done getting to the final, now to win it!

25 minutes ago, LPQR said:

haha, we're playing Man U in the semis next ;) And mind you, this is a Man United team that has won 5 EPL titles in a row, 3 FA cups and 2 League Cups over the last 5 years, as well as reaching the CL final in 2017. The Lukaku-Marial-Griezmann trio is going to be tough to face, so I'm eager to see how this will turn out :D

I like this Man Utd. :D

24 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Well done getting to the final, now to win it!

I like this Man Utd. :D

thanks mate :) surprisingly Mourinho is still there after 6 years and most of this success is a result of his 'special' management apparently

15 minutes ago, eriktous said:

Great thread. Really enjoyed reading it. Hope you can go on to win the CL.

Vielen Dank :) the boys are fired up and I'm quite hopeful we can bury Bayern once and for all

8 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

Shades of tempting fate here considering there is one other way they could qualify :D.

haha, I suppose I'm so high on the enthusiasm I completely forgot about that possibility! Hope I didn't jinx it :D

June 2021

VFB Stuttgart win 4th consecutive DFB Pokal

stuttgart.jpg

Image result for vfb stuttgart dfb pokal

what a match this was, great football and of course... who pops up in the last second of the match to give us the 4th consecutive domestic double?

Mr Eggestein again :)

138cac711e40d066bc1c332c440533cb.jpg

I'm really glad Rapp got some minutes under his belt, as well. Although his performance wasn't the best, chances are he'll be fit to play around 60-70 minutes in the CL final :)

An emotional Klaas Jensen* addresses the fans in one of his rare media appearances:

b9210e9f425699db098f327bf7443c4a.png

*Jensen is well known for his rather introvert, art-loving lifestyle and despises public appearances as well as making coherent speeches

gggg.jpg

"My dear ladies and gentlemen that have been kind enough to follow our journey with the typical cynicism and disregard of a working class Stuttgarter (*press officer coughs loudly*)

I have to express the overwhelming set of emotions that I feel at the moment.

The past few years spent in this city have left me as disillusioned about the lack of taste in your galleries and your ridiculous obsession with cars as much as thrilled to have been compensated in my aesthetic urges by the truly beautiful things that these young lads do with a football. I'd like to thank the lads for taking the time to read my 130 page mini-manual on 'the ritual of post-modernist leitmotifs applied to pre-match preparation' over the course of last night and now I feel they are truly well-prepared to embrace this challenge. (*press officer coughs repeatedly*)

Ah yes, the point, we are one win away from achieving something truly special in this rough, industrial, uninspiring city: a treble with a squad consisting of 23 German Players out of which 16 trained at the club between their 15-21 birthdays

So, let's not mess it up, shall we?"

(*Jensen leaves the room*)

(*press officer exercises diplomatic skills to calm the waters*)

Squad Home-Grown status

4d8ce45481b57eeda09c440573c7af55.jpg

June 5th, 2021

Champions League Final - live updates

stuttgart.jpg

meine Dame und Herren... these are the moments we live for 

our fans have already started the show and the trophy is waiting for the worthy winner

Image result for vfb stuttgart choreo

Image result for cl trophy pitch

Image result for CL final

Joining us from the pitch with a live update on the team formations is Sky Sports reporter Simon Suedel:

Image result for bundesliga news reporter

Simon, what's new? We're excited!

- To be honest with you, LPQR, there's an amazing atmosphere already in place, mainly due to the passion of the two crowds, but let's move on to the important bits, I suppose you want an update on the formations

Yes, please, Simon

- Forced by the injuires of Roth and Besuschkow, Jensen has put his faith in the 20 year old academy product - Hoxha to play as a left midfielder, while taking Roth's place is an 18 year old Bjorn Bundt who has surprised many with his mature performances this year, after coming through the youth ranks only 2 years ago. Apart from that, the usual suspects are all in the team, and most notably, Rapp is fit to play from the start, which is undoubtedly one of the best possible news for both Jensen and the Stuttgart fans

So, what about tactics, Simon?

-Perhaps the most surprising talking point is the attacking formation Jensen has chosen to play, even though Bayern have fielded their strongest 11 and are going to play a formation that will look to crowd the central areas of the pitch. Many expected a more cautious approach, perhaps in the like of his 3-2-2-2-1, but it looks like Jensen is putting his money on the ability of Bundt to make a difference upfront.

Thank you, Simon, the teams are ready to kick off so we will turn back to our eager viewers now

Cheers, LPQR

27d4143b7a08ea4151ae211892d2ccff.jpg

6th minute - GOOOAAALLL, Serge Gnabry scores after a delightful through ball by Goretzka that left Bayern's defenders on their toes Stuttgart - Bayern 1-0

8th minute - GOOAAAAL, Robert Lewandowski takes only 1 minute and 30 seconds to blast a header past Leno from a corner to make it 1-1

18th minute - GOAAAAL, Fabio Hesse scores a thumping header past Neuer from a well excercised courner routine by Stuttgart. 2-1 for Stuttgart!

22nd minute - GOOOAAL, Serge Gnabry scores his second of the match with a delightfully placed shot in a tight angle, after some amazing individual action by Bjorn Bundt, Stuttgart - Bayern 3-1

Stuttgart slow the pace down and adopt a more conservative style of play

*End of first half*

the second half seems to be much more balanced, with Stuttgart absorbing pressure extremely well, and even breaking on the counter with Gnabry missing a couple of sitters

75 minute - Eichinger comes in for a struggling Rapp and Besuschkow is brought on instead of a tired Hoxha for the last 15 minutes of the match. Stuttgart are doing a fantastic job in denying Bayern space in midfield so far

12 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Cracking stuff! Well done on winning the CL, an incredible achievement with such a homegrown squad.

I'm lost for words...

thank you guys for sharing this journey with me, it's been much more fun this way 

Journalist: Mr Jenssen, you seem to be quite un-impressed by your recent achievement, even though many suggest this to be one of the finest German teams of all time. Why is that?

Jenssen: Karl, leave me alone, nobody reads Der Bild anymore, you smell like strawberry and this is my first cigar of the day

Image result for smoking alone

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

Utterly fantastic!

:thup: Danke schon!

1 hour ago, Black and Yellow said:

Bravo!

thanks! :)

1 hour ago, davehibb said:

Hopefully this isn't the end of the journey mate?

Not at all, sir, just a well deserved(?) breath of fresh air and then off we go again. I've got a golden generation on my hands that I've committed to develop after all ;) 

June 2021 - mini season review

stuttgart.jpg

Our greatest season to date and one that will definitely be tough to replicate in terms of achievements and performances. Here are some key developments over the course of this year

This year has been by far, Eggestein's year:

12bb496e3f912cddf0541b3b54ae1f0d.jpg

an absolute goalscoring machine with 41 goals and 15 assists in 40 starts and 6 substitute appearances

Bundesliga Player of the Year

c198f84511112b1b1eec41f8242bb46e.png

Best finisher in Europe

c49187bf7cfb4d493546f34b8d9b2c24.png

and of course, the above mentioned Uefa Champions League Golden Boot award

Revelations of the season

Kristian Hoxha(youth2015) / Bjorn Bundt(youth2018)

bea0ac7b7c7fce2442a8d0600338cbbd.jpg  3dc8c6eaec2c85613be844ffcfae1ecb.jpg

Hoxha is the only player of the famous 2015/2016 generation produced by the club( Golenja, Kocot, Maladenis) that is still at the club. Very athletic and determined player that has proved to be of great use this season as he acted as a rotation option for Besuschkow. 

Bundt is my new-found hope and motivation to keep this Stuttgart story going. Only turned 18 in March, and brought in through to the first team at the start of the season, he got to play a lot of matches this year due to Roth's and Rapp's injuries and has done an amazing job either as SS or F9. Played a massive part in the CL final, setting up Gnabry after dribbling his way past 4 Bayern players, and to be fair, his progress reminds me of Rapp's early years. Can he match him or even better him?

c56557aa0c2d5d7e82cde7d5747b4c35.png

Germany will be represented by Dortmund, Shalke and Stuttgart in the CL and Hamburg, RBL and Bayern in the European League next year, after Leverkusen failed to obtain a license to play in the Europa League due to financial reasons

I asked the board to build a new stadium and, surprisingly, they agreed, however....

34ffa4e7610a02cc42d026f90ceaec6e.png
what?? 

Nevertheless, our current stadium more than satisfies the demand on tickets at the minute so it's not tragic. I hoped for a new stadium as a more symbolic action rather than a necessary one.

Overall career stats

Season 15/16 - 2.Bundesliga - Champions

Season 16/17 - Bundesliga - 3rd place, German Cup winners

Season 17/18 - Bundesliga - Champions, German Cup winners, German Super Cup winners, CL - knocked out in first round

Season 18/19 - Bundesliga - Champions, German Cup winners, CL - knocked out in quarter final

Season 19/20 - Bundesliga - Champions, German Cup winners, CL - knocked out in semi final

Season 20/21 - Bundesliga - Champions, German Cup Winners, CL - winners

41 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

Congratulations on the CL win! Glad to see you didn't jinx yourself (although it would've been quite comical :D).

Thanks pal, yeah, after Lewandowski's equaliser I was beginning to fear that outcome :D

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

Bundt looks a bit magical, and with 18 for Natural Fitness and a Professional personality, you gotta imagine him getting 15 years at the top, maybe more.

absolutely,really can't remember why I was quite skeptical when I first saw his stats on the day he was recruited. The progress he's made in a year is amazing and he's got everything to be a future club legend. I'm daydreaming a bit but can you imagine a Rapp-Bundt-Eggestein trio in 3-4 years from now? mouthwatering...

5 minutes ago, LPQR said:

absolutely,really can't remember why I was quite skeptical when I first saw his stats on the day he was recruited. The progress he's made in a year is amazing and he's got everything to be a future club legend. I'm daydreaming a bit but can you imagine a Rapp-Bundt-Eggestein trio in 3-4 years from now? mouthwatering...

Could be absolutely dominant. Perhaps like that Brazil trident, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo.

I briefly came across this thread earlier and found it interesting, but thought it was over because of lack of updates and because you had another thread going on. So this was very surprising to read and find out about a Champions League win. :eek: Honestly, pretty spectacular achievement only with German players and on FM16 which I consider pretty damn hard. Found the tactical angles pretty interesting as well, I'd never consider a formation like a 3-2-2-1-2 neither to go very fluid on this version of the game.

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

I briefly came across this thread earlier and found it interesting, but thought it was over because of lack of updates and because you had another thread going on. So this was very surprising to read and find out about a Champions League win. :eek: Honestly, pretty spectacular achievement only with German players and on FM16 which I consider pretty damn hard. Found the tactical angles pretty interesting as well, I'd never consider a formation like a 3-2-2-1-2 neither to go very fluid on this version of the game.

thank you for your kind compliments :) Yeah, I've had a lot of time to play FM lately so I'm bashing two stories at once, this way i don't get bored of either :D To be fair, I've learned a lot from this save actually, tactically speaking. Knowing my players inside-out (even the PPM's) helped a lot when designing how I want to play. Even though I've put some considerable effort in developing those youngsters in the best ways possible, I've been incredibly lucky with the talent at my disposal, though, and the reward has been much sweeter than I expected.

5 hours ago, poobington said:

I was enjoying the story before but your interviews as the manager are hilarious; great character! Your writing style is very engaging and quirky when it needs to be.

Jenssen might be 29 year old, but his soul is twice that age and if you look carefully, he is rated at just '1' for coaching fitness. Hardly a surprise given his obsession with cheap cigars imported from Czech Republic ;) 

thanks mate, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

July 2021 - Pre-season news

stuttgart.jpg

Branko Golenja(youth2016) is probably the greatest loss the club had to suffer in terms of home-grown talent. Along with Maladenis and Kocot, they are the stars of the 2016/17 intakes that were sold due to choosing to play for nations other than Germany. After a couple of inspiring seasons in the youth ranks and Stuttgart's second team he chose to represent Croatia and became ineligible to feature for Stuttgart under the current club policy. The transfer offers I had on the table for him at the time were, frankly, ridiculous. With offers of 5 and 7 million on the table, I decided to loan him out for a couple of seasons and see how he develops. After two good seasons spent on loan at Wolfsburg and Leverkusen, he returns to the club but only to break the club's record for the highest ever received fee on a player. Feels like Udinese....

54d3a28228503cc0e6ba376afc1955cb.png

cff06bf899551451a911fe9966a51521.jpg

4b9e641a54109d3f2e7c4598f2263b8b.png

Same goes for Rafal Kocot(youth2016). After two seasons on loan at Espanyol and Schalke, he departs the club for a fee of 27.5M

545d52a15bd7aa6ed04cd576349392f6.png

3a36e71d7ff0d98128f401e3607e899b.jpg

Basically a return of £97.5 Million from the sales of two players that were produced by the club. Our finances are rocketing :)

Archived