FM16: VFB Stuttgart - Engineering German Success

LPQR

So, first of all, welcome everybody :) In this thread I will attempt a project that I hope will revive my passion for the game.

The idea is to take a club that has fallen from the graces of success in recent years back to glory whilst implementing a strict home-grown policy with youth development obviously playing a big part in this philosophy.

In FM terms, that would mean:

-having only players with the nationality of the club's playing nation in the squad

-a club strategy oriented towards having as many players 'trained at club' (15-21) as possible as soon as possible

So, having researched potential clubs to start the save with, I came across 5 times Bundesliga winners, freshly relegated to the German Second Division, 

VFB Stuttgart:

stuttgart.jpg

A brief overview of the club

Facilities

- Top Corporate Facilities

- Superb training facilities

- Superb youth facilities

- Extensive youth recruitment

-Good junior coaching

Stadium

VfB_Stuttgart_stadium_001.jpg

-60.000 seater (49.000 used in normal matches) Mercedes-Benz Arena

-Owned by council (4.6 million+8% of gate receipts paid for rent)

-Undersoil Heating

Trophy cabinet

trophies.png

Finances and Reputation

finances.png

- overall balance of £29.M

-loan debt of £3.64M

The downfall:

Stuttgart_ History Overview.png

Following the German First Division title in 2006 the club has had a horrible time in the league, ultimately leading them to be relegated in the current season

So, all in all, a fantastic club with some great history, spanning  over 123 years and with an amazing foundation in place for what I want to achieve

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A first look at the current squad:

4eadd8900a022ec6c84410463b8cb0c8.png

A very strong squad for the current level. However, most of the strongest players are not German, thus a massive re-build looks likely in the current transfer season.

The encouraging part is the 'club trained' mini-legion already in place, with Baumgartl, Besuschkow, Mart Ristl and Georgios Spanoudakis(under 19s) looking like they could hit the big stage in a few years time

So, here are some flashes of a fantastic initial recruitment stage:

6a8a424ab8a5b1fbc82554c24d18356c.png

Managed to snap a ton of exciting German youngsters from other clubs in the division for pretty much nothing. Really excited about Eggestein and Avdijaj as they could form THE deadly duo upfront for years to come.

Here's how the u19 team looks now:

83d6d5a6fbe246d49648058c804b8b95.png

I would love to get some of these 5 star potential guys to play in the first team, however, under current league regulations, players must be at least 17 in order to feature in the first team. Massive disappointment there....

On the bright side, here's the first team squad after the transfer season:

fedb928f2024b8266e0e64361e4a4dde.jpg

So, an all German squad, as per the club's policy. 

Avdijaj and Henrichs have a £15M and £14M buy-out clause, respectively, which I hope to successfully activate by the end of the season as I don't think they'd be willing to sign for the club now.

Both could turn out to be world-beaters and they're both 18, which means they can get 'club trained status' if I manage to keep them at the club for 3 years.

The biggest investment has by far been Serge Gnabry's return home - £11 million with another 5 in bonuses

51883f43a3837d482c9e2df2894f5846.png

The reasoning behind that?

a2ddae73989c323ce4a076741e7f3633.png

-born in Stuttgart and trained at VFB academy for 2 years before being snatched by Arsenal,  thus achieving 'club-trained' status by the end of this season

-potential star player 

-potential club legend

As you can see, I made a hefty profit of around £29 million as a result of transfer dealings. My initial thought was to keep the money until the end of the season and then invest it in the two loanee's mentioned above.

Couldn't resist it though....

632e7f11baa50fd0ef5fa3ee8ed37aa8.pngd3b9ff119005d0b9c047e95b335b53be.png

73ec7cd346b0fdb9b3108a88787046c7.png911cf12f36b97c41b08c4f60564349a7.png

59f7a8e57777b055afdd21c57958905b.png

I took a bit of a gamble and asked the board to buy the stadium and confronted them repeatedly until they gave in. I couldn't believe it when they  said yes.... I just couldn't... wow!

I'm delighted with the board, all these improvements are all a giant step in the direction of the club's strategy as well as a guarantee of financial and reputation improvement. Pressure is on me to deliver now :)

Tactics and season progress update next

stay tuned...

Hi. Really like this idea so good luck. :thup:

If I was to make 1 small suggestion though... your pictures aren't very clear. They are very small initially but even when you click them and they pop to full size, maybe my eyesight isn't what it once was, but they still don't appear very clear. 

Anyway, good luck. :thup:

26 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Hi. Really like this idea so good luck. :thup:

If I was to make 1 small suggestion though... your pictures aren't very clear. They are very small initially but even when you click them and they pop to full size, maybe my eyesight isn't what it once was, but they still don't appear very clear. 

Anyway, good luck. :thup:

Hi mate, thanks for the tip. That's a wee bit strange, just checked and images appear in perfect quality upon pop-up. If anybody else has the same problem seeing the pictures, let me know and I'll work smth out

But yeah, cheers and thanks for the encouragement ;)

21 minutes ago, LPQR said:

Hi mate, thanks for the tip. That's a wee bit strange, just checked and images appear in perfect quality upon pop-up. If anybody else has the same problem seeing the pictures, let me know and I'll work smth out

But yeah, cheers and thanks for the encouragement ;)

A little blurry for me as well when popped-up. Might try cropping a bit before you upload?

Anyway, best of luck! Youth-oriented challenges are always exciting to me and there's a good audience around here for this type of thing.

Season 15/16 review:

- won the second division comfortably while giving the youth plenty of game-time

- lost in the 3rd round of the German Cup which is disappointing

- good financial profit from sales of players that don't fit the all-German philosophy

738aef9309653ffe864e77d3f72c37f5.png

Tactics

during the season I used two tactics. one of them a basic 4-4-2, and the other is more of a specialized system to specifically exploit the strengths of the players at my disposal:

ad13189436b3951398f08b375ce51a13.png

6077d29f9afdb2c341f4809d27f8babd.png

I'm not going to go too much in depth about how it plays but basically it's a 4-4-2/4-3-3/4-1-4-1 variation, depending on the phase of play.

Apart from the fact that it allows me to use the players in what I believe to be their best roles it's great at creating space and exploiting it. Apparently it plays some good football too as I constantly get updates from the board with how please the fans are with our playing style.

Now this is actually quite an important part of the game that often gets overlooked, as I've noticed it affects your attendance numbers and the number of season ticket holders which is important for creating revenue and increasing the popularity of the club.

Player development

One of the highlights of the first season has got to be the incredible development of Max Besuschkow

A player produced by the club's academy and with no senior appearances until this season, I gave him a first team spot, alternating him either on the left as a WP or right as the Raumdeuter.

It all happened when I managed to snap Sven Bender in January for 3.5 million and got him to tutor Max. So, this is the before/after tutoring story:

start of season:

93d53ff115a0e0ee756de8edb01d2cd6.png

end of season 1, after 5 months of tutoring by Sven Bender:

ec2839d194df231b22b82b37a36788ac.png

I'm really excited about this kid as he's incredibly versatile, and if I keep playing with my current system he can cover 5 positions for me. His attributes have improved massively, but what really matters is that his personality has now changed to 'professional' and his determination has gone up considerably. This means he is a player which will work harder in the training ground, conduct himself with minimal fuss and improve faster and better as a player. 

In other news we have Eggestein, Avdijaj and Heinrichs developing really well, probably down to the great level of facilities rather than division-2 level football, and I expect their growth to be much more prominent next season in the Bundesliga. 

Transfers overview:

first season 

6c09d9e147e6ab98d95f5e6461c893a4.png

- managed to extend Avdijaj's loan for another season, while keeping the option to buy at £15M

- signed Heinrichs on a permanent basis 

start of season 2

46951b676c3d402be9577f435888c011.png

Orban is a top quality center back I'm honestly quite surprised we got him that cheap. Potential captain material. 

Leibold and Regasel have both got the potential to be a really good left-back and right-back respectively, if not already better than my current first team choices. Both of them an absolute steal for those prices.

And finally, Klose was more of a strategic signing as he is one of the few model professional players that I can get in my squad under the current recruitment policy. He will be a great tutor for the likes of Eggestein and Avdijaj as well as a decent 4-th choice striker. 

Let's see how we do in our first season back in the BundesLiga :)

Season 16/17 review

-Finished 3rd in the Bundesliga

- German Cup Winners

cbb66389d7e1c8f3500b7882d6828bf4.png

178d94b5babdbc65d1525b5b8fd07df5.png

A great first season in the Bundesliga, as we manged to finish in a CL spot for next year :) 

The 3rd place finish in the league plus the conquest of the German Cup made for an impressive enough overall domestic performance to boost our reputation to 4 stars 

This will help with the quality of players brought into the club via youth intake amongst other benefits

First team squad 

97df49aa1fc9458c141fb4097de77037.png

Under19 Squad

2799753bb6dbcff1ec4b2f8402b54242.png

Over the last two years our youth system has produced some fantastic prospects:

Branko Golenja    Ilhan Yldirim

Rafal Kocot     Kristian Hoxha

Vangelis Maladenis

Really excited about these guys, especially Golenja and Maladenis. A potential complete forward and Box to Box midfielder capable of making the first team squad in a year or two by my estimation.

Tactics

c7c4e5bc565ed373e05cc5e42c43c2bf.png

f92a727e8b1e265e03eaf4b09d4f0fb9.png

A bit of a tactical change due to having major strength in midfield positions

- Worked really well, as we overachieved massively (6 places above our 9th place predicted finish) however I feel our lack of stamina and work rate on the side midfielders could cost us in Champions league

- Despite a very impressive season as a Shadow Striker, I still believe Gnabry's position is best out wide given his lightning speed, stamina and work rate

0ed0d5fd7bbd3fa6335dc25ef30d1b9f.png

Player Development

The 16/17 season has been marked by the successful introduction of a number of German youngsters in the first team squad:

Mathias Rapp 

Lennart Grunenberg

Fabio Hesse

Tim Eichinger

Rapp has it all to become one of Germany's finest attacking midfielders, I'm still juggling with the idea of training him as a shadow striker or whether to use him in a deeper role like Roaming Playmaker.

Grunenberg and Hesse have the potential to become the club's first-team CB pairing for decades.

Eichinger is like a mini-Gnabry, really looking forward to re-training him as an AMR as he's way too fast to be used as an AM

Player tutoring has been equally succesful this season

Eggestein is about to become a monster after being tutored by Miro Klose.

Before tutoring           After tutoring

Max Besuschkow has stepped into an entire new level after a second spell of tutoring by Sven Bender.

Before tutoring         After tutoring

Timo Baumgartl has stepped out of the average zone after being tutored by Willi Orban and is now regarded as one of the finest young German CB's in the league.

Before Tutoring       After tutoring

Special mention award goes to.....

Mart Ristl - the unsung midfield hero

d2c1216a6cbda5f50745367326955a97.png

A player produced by the club, he has really impressed me with his dynamic displays this season. Does a great job at winning back the ball and intercepting passes as well as providing a good passing option. Potential captain material as well.

Okay, so all in all, some great stuff in our second season. I'm delighted with player performances and growth overall, and I only plan to re-inforce the goalkeeper options for the next season.

Some people might have to leave as well, as I want to give playing time to the amazing options from the youth academy.

Champions League, wir kommen! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Season 17/18 review

917a117f79ac6458e6e3dce7bc0e376d.png

I'm delighted. It only took us two years to win a domestic double with what is not only an all-german squad, but increasingly an all-academy team. The performance in the CL is not particularly disappointing as we were knocked out by Galata who eventually went to win the competition. So, here is the squad that has achieved this fantastic performance this season:

First team

670a0e044db0ac65eed54f6fa0fd7bc4.png

Youth development is also going extremly well. Kocot, Maladenis, Golenja and Yildirim look set to join the first team in a year or two maximum. All four of them academy products.

U19 team

1a994d02d201ff5a427e3b6001026ab7.png

Revelation of the season:

Mathias Rapp

10 goals, 6 assists, 7 Mom and an AVR of 7.41 are pretty impressive for an 18 year old who looks like a legend in the making

Player of the season:

Max Besuschkow

Great stuff from our Golden Boy who just keeps getting better and better. An AVR of 7.76 speaks for itself.

Encouraging point:

43fd2eb878c9cda2516959b1c8585023.png

All six players in our front three positions have performed incredibly well, racking up a total of 72 goals and 40 assists between them.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 18/19 review

4b9e9fb657d94fc5dd5f885aa1ab45da.png

Nerve-wracking finish to our 4th season as we finished equally with Bayern on both points and goal difference. Managed to win the league thanks to our head-to-head performances.

Our conquest of the German Cup makes it three in a row! :D

Beaten by Madrid in the CL, I'm not too disappointed with it. Our performance wasn't too bad, we just need some time for our talent do develop.

First team

427cc34effa761af76f42f02e99236fd.jpg

U19's

027bb3e0d1e4f408d923fe0c4783ce3f.jpg

Our youth academy has produced yet another potential star this year:

Bjorn Bundt

really excited about this kid :)

Revelation(s) of the season:

Max Mauersberger  Rafal Kocot

promoted from the Stuttgart II and from the u19s respectively, the performances of these two this season are a testament to the club's youth development policy.

Player of the season:

Johannes Eggestein

What a player and what a season...42 goals and 14 assists in 50 apperances over the course of this season. Enough said.

Oh yes, that as well :D

a8fc237711c679d1a3f183e7ff4e44cd.png

70ece3940fa10bf1cfb6343bf514fe25.png

Heartbreak..

two of the most exciting youth academy products developed over the last 3 years have chosen to represent their secondary nationality, despite both of them being born in Germany and being potentially good enough to play for the Mannschaft:

120f4f0b6f1437eca225dfcc06f2e45b.jpg

33572b8cee205e162ee8366150e14b7b.jpg

Consequently, they have been moved to the reserves and will be shipped out in January.

1 hour ago, LPQR said:

Heartbreak..

two of the most exciting youth academy products developed over the last 3 years have chosen to represent their secondary nationality, despite both of them being born in Germany and being potentially good enough to play for the Mannschaft:

120f4f0b6f1437eca225dfcc06f2e45b.jpg

33572b8cee205e162ee8366150e14b7b.jpg

Consequently, they have been moved to the reserves and will be shipped out in January.

That's a shame, both with 'wonderkid' tag too!

On 9/27/2016 at 10:52, clarkehwbu said:

That's a shame, both with 'wonderkid' tag too!

absolutely gutting. They were the two stars of that generation. Another common issue with managing in Germany is the huge amount of Turkish players with dual nationality turkish/german that you get coming through the youth system. Almost everyone of them ends up playing for Turkey eventually. These are three that were produced by the club during the last 4 years:

Anil Kocabylik  Guney Yuksel  Ilhan Yildirim

All three fantastic prospects that, unfortunately I can't play in the first team due to the German-only policy. Out they go in January too....

21 hours ago, clarkehwbu said:

Who have you got as feeder clubs? It might be that you have a club from one of those nations and hence why you keep getting these through?

Option could be go into international management too and give them those caps for German team

no feeder clubs at all :) and i'm inclined to think the second would qualify as cheating

The Golden Generation

35cf9e130ade4a3f3e479ddd776bc04c.png

I think it's fair to say that Stuttgart have been responsible for producing and developing the new generation of hope in German Football over the past 5 years. This post is about paying tribute to an extremely talented batch of footballers of similar age (19-21) that will no doubt have the responsibility of leading the Mannschaft to glory over the next decade:

Central Defenders

Fabio Hesse

Lennart Grunenberg

the unstoppable duo, although not produced by the VFB academy, have spent their last 5 years at the club and matured into one of the best defensive partnerships in the league

Midfielders

Max Mauersberger

Vangelis Maladenis

Matthias Rapp

two DM's, one more technically gifted, the other more hard working and combative and of course, the iconic shadow striker - Rapp

Forwards

Tim Eichinger

Johannes Eggestein

A pacey shadow striker/raumdeuter with good potential and the legendary Eggestein - a complete forward already beating all of the club's scoring records

Mid-season update

Tactical revelations

So, my computer crashed and I had to start the season again. I thought I'd implement something different this time, and after considering the players I have at my disposal I decided to implement a very fluid system with a 3-4-1-2 base shape

Main issues considered

- My fullbacks are decent but far from world-beaters 

- I have a lot of talented DM's, and most of them have high workrate, stamina and strength

- I have the best defensive trio in the league with Orban, Hesse and Grunenberg, and it would be a shame to leave one of them on the bench

- Same goes for the attacking trio of Eggestein, Avdijaj and Rapp, although using Rapp as a shadow striker allows me to exploit his creative prowess in midfield

- There's plenty of strength, pace, work rate, stamina and tactical intelligence in the squad to be playing deep, absorbing the pressure and create quick transitions

- I have a shortage of wide, winger-style players, Gnabry being the only one that stands out

2b14cfafda09f108aae3f8bd95d25d6c.jpg

*the left midfielder cuts inside and is more of a defensive playmaker

*right midfielder attacks the wide space

*normal defensive line so that we can exploit our speedy midfielders

*two DM's - both physically astute,  one of them them running forward to support attacks, the other sitting deep and dictating tempo

*maximized width so we do not concede the flanks too much 

*very fluid shape for compactness, creativity and team-play

Half season results:

23396c58908f68acd84fe5a2e303b5c1.jpg

Best defence, best attack, still going strong in all competitions and some amazing player performances:

Attacking trio

apps   gls  ass   mom

7b0a9e1f2b6bbfe0e635b26d479b47b9.png

say what you want, but 33 goals and 8 assists by December is pretty impressive

Overall

ab5bd107cd2f96b818a1804204697322.jpg

c8b00a16de9684e0acd7cfaa98c8622c.png

95568f85ac665c64039d6c15f73a8fef.png

8bcc82e8cc6a47d2f8fcc06bfd168dd0.png

Let's see where this gets us this season :) 

59 minutes ago, john1 said:

Impressive squad you have built, Rapp looks quality!! Heartbreaking to see those two youngsters switching to other nations :(

Absolutely mate, it makes the save more challenging though. Rapp is slowly turning out to be one of my favourite players in this FM series. Watching him grow was what makes these save worth the effort :)

31 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

Quite ridiculous results! Congrats on the performances and the team you've built. Excited to see how far you can take this.

Cheers ;)

More drama in Stuttgart...

I have tried getting Avdijaj to sign a new contract for two years now and every time I did the agent asked for the inclusion of a non-negotiable release clause which was even lower than the already existing one, so I couldn't possibly give in to such foolishness. Well, last hour of the last day of January transfer window and here we go, Madrid activated the release clause....

With Eggestein out for 3 weeks, I have a month of football to play without any forwards at my disposal. Lovely :)

2b92308562b0b846f9b5e913fbaf64a2.png

He was never mesmerizing until this season, really, but I've always liked him. A lot of useful movement of the pitch, great team-working abilities and some good finishes too.

3e37d263353ae6e8e4ade203e40645bf.jpg

813f0fa28f6f1bb43af58e127e9790b7.png

Well, that's that, another club-trained player leaves Stuttgart...

Season 19/20 review

08fa94d9ed84cb069451f34cbd028192.png

A great season which marks our 3rd consecutive domestic double :) 

The second part of the season was a massive let-off compared to the first, but we still managed to pull of some great results. I have tried to stretch youth development as far as possible and rely on signings as little as possible but given that most of our best prospects have left the club (the nationality issue) I was faced with a massive lack of squad depth. It has had a great effect on our performances and I believe some new signings are absolutely necessary because we play across three competitions and our players just don't keep up. Eggestein is the best example:  30 goals before december, then a 3 week stop due to lack of rest and he scored 14 after the injury in twice as many games. Avdijaj's departure has left us in shambles with a demoralized squad and having only one player able to play as a forward. Had to retrain Eichinger to a false nine and he did a wonderful job, however I don't think you can win anything with only one and a half strikers in the team. So, looking forward to spending some money after 2 years of abstinence on the transfer market. I will try to sign the best available players that were produced by Stuttgart and then we'll see....

We were knocked out 5-2 on aggregate by a Man City team which thrashed Juventus 6-1 in the quarters and eventually went to win the CL, so I can't fault the boys. Of course, some part of me still thinks we could have done it if our players were in better condition, but I will have to be satisfied with that for now.

1a0d27b7f6a2a8cad40ed2a0bfa0df3f.jpg

9bd47df0e687d86f6bf0cd4253d89a42.png

dd3dec915aec1bb6b4659684713beb3f.png

04d83af9718c466282fe821c12c06692.png
*funnily enough, Arianit Ferati is a player produced by Stuttgart's academy and I strongly consider signing him for next season

98638a21cc60cfb8e801d1f6057a98b2.png

bfe8c944ca844a55864d145eeb4510a4.png

Revelations of the season

Vangelis Maladenis/Tim Eichinger

both exceeded my expectations tremendously. Eichinger filled in for Avdijaj in the second half of the season, which saw Heinrichs moving from DM to AM to rotate with Rapp, which consequently meant more game time for Maladenis. I guess this is what one calls a domino-effect :D 

Maladenis has played 7 u21 matches for Germany and has now been called up by Greece. If he plays a game and changes nationality I'll smash some stuff in my room, for sure.

Youth intake

90a099242924c1e89954654615032c04.png
*note: Only players marked with green color are part of the intake, I seem to find no other way to view the reports of just the youth candidates without viewing the whole u19 team

Jean Marc Benoit/Oliver Munz

Not too bad but not amazing either. Annoyingly, two of the three best players of this intake have dual nationality, and judging how this has played out so far, I think I can anticipate were this is going.

In other news....

a235186ad9aae26293f5a2c08348e19e.png

4e68bef5b388c7a54b10c50b54372754.png

I really enjoyed this season. It has been the most challenging so far, with a lot of drama as well as good developments and, overall I believe we should only be moving up from here. I also plan to do a full squad review, player by player style once I get the time ;)

Bjorn Bundt promoted to the first team due to lack of options in the striking department 

ecbdd082c12bfd491d0d366ee9fb26b8.jpg

A player produced by the (by now) famous VFB academy, Loris Karius returns to where he started from after 11 years away from the club

622d5cfd6a2b8bb3b2980463d501c48e.jpg

Leon Goretzka signed for 21M as replacement for Maladenis, making him our most expensive ever transfer

e5374048e9e86c049227ba26e368ca4b.jpg

92a96007054291e62f5c679d3b86576d.png

Gunther Roth joins for 15Million from Bayern to finally add some depth to the striking department

17aa75b04ddc0bad08a4b2311a9b5f1f.jpg

1 minute ago, cfkllasdfaslkdfj said:

Sad to say, but you have the fake Germany National Team due to license (it's treated) and small number of championships (only Big Five is loaded). Hence every solid player with 2nd nationality will be played for another team differs from Germany in your save.

woah, cheers mate, where were you in 2015? :D well, lesson learnt, I suppose I have no excuse to moan about it and blame it on fate anymore

For the 3rd year in a row, Bayern beat us in the supercup....

8748f348b19cd9b36a7875bdfa9645fc.png

I'm not too surprised to be honest, the best team we could field had absentees in the names of Rapp, Hesse, Grunenberg and Mauersberger due to them all being either injured or too tired to play

August 2020 - Overall career review so far

stuttgart.jpg

Season 15/16 - 2.Bundesliga - Champions

Season 16/17 - Bundesliga - 3rd place, German Cup winners

Season 17/18 - Bundesliga - Champions, German Cup winners, German Super Cup winners, CL - knocked out in first round

Season 18/19 - Bundesliga - Champions, German Cup winners, CL - knocked out in quarter final

Season 19/20 - Bundesliga - Champions, German Cup winners, CL - knocked out in semi final

A total of 9 trophies in 5 years at the club 

Image result for vfb stuttgart fans

Squad

e6abf2ccd1127a7d08d65d07c611b623.jpg

VFB Stuttgart has overtaken Bayern Munchen as the most reputable club in Germany

014299c756fb62f2264c312d441ad227.png

5th most reputable club in the world

e34bd7f1a34df77f6c063f140b6f9aba.png

12th richest club in the world

3aeb4964fae42a21928697623179343f.png

Top players developed/produced by the VFB Stuttgart academy

d03e3abbad546360d668469be4fd18c4.jpg

Klaas Jensen - Manager Profile

b7d4c4b9313b7f2c380f3277f9bfe844.jpg

A very successful 5 years at Stuttgart and quite an amazing experience so far. Even though I can field a match-winning first 11 consisting only of players trained at club my aim is to have a complete squad consisting of players trained by the club and of course, win the CL with it, so plenty of work ahead :) 

It is a great shame I did not pay enough attention before starting the save to fix the German national team issue, as it would have added a great dimension to the game, and sadly, it can't be fixed in-game. However I'm still proud of what we managed to achieve here, in Stuttgart, and I believe making the transition to an all youth team will make the journey and the laurels even sweeter, so here we go, another season ahead, a lot of talent and ambition in the team and a lot of pride in our chests for what we have already achieved

aaaaand it just looks like it might finally work! :D

07e9c6a27f4786f745cf43126e38a3c2.png

Yes Yes Yes and a thousand times Yes!

274b13ee403b8b2bd3c21cb940edee15.png

Players seem to have taken the news well :D

5f2716b29ecca0bdfef49e13f5149abf.png

This is how Germany  lined up against Iceland

d65f1eaa8fc4b5ff680924652488719d.png

8 Stuttgart players in the line up!

Rapp ended up breaking his arm in the Iceland game and was taken out of the NT squad

561a304099a7d6910cc362e7971f4a06.jpg

many thanks to @BoxToBox and @cfkllasdfaslkdfj for helping me solve the licensing issue! a virtual 1 litre pint of Paulaner to both of you! :)

December 2020 - Squad overview

stuttgart.jpg

Here is a more detailed view of the squad we've managed to assemble so far 

Goalkeepers

633b19692bd3c7d57d75db6612ef540a.png73e5e91565784445d7f3ffa95dd59ff4.pngb5d182eed65264a04ac0f4a192facbc8.png

Defenders

d3464aee07194a8a3550947bd0000534.pnga7c86934410298502f26ac37c2b60c9e.png1f4d360439cf72225fc5caa3c9fee5eb.png7da744f639eef3268919fdd4e9eef1a9.png45242adf03d2b791dd1c3c73cd1b6f8a.png

Midfielders

58fdd10b629dabe81f903529a0c19a31.png8665eed42be9ca40ad5c4d32d9346bc1.pngef53495b3cab5b37ed2f22b7f39ae4bf.pngc29d2e5cf31b5a54a10014858c0404a6.png

-  -  - 

c1fd73d213b2fb711370e0bf215abb2b.pngf3a8bafca4569dbe79f8c86bd06a1417.png6f3ce78791e0d7b07fd6edd8318945c3.pngf8d30ce3b909437e5cc6daae9987f2fd.png29b74369bc588e023428bc942cc49674.png

Forwards/Shadow strikers

a46d323eb42131ed56dcfffe7c87b7d0.png66cf9b3b6f7c1e8e7c889ab6015831c4.png927d25be9df8bcba7d12f144db0df069.pngfb4ff0c1938adc8367877b1d82a98ddd.pngb3b76c8b27fa875764d882adeaa044e9.png

4 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

It worked, brilliant!

Shame it led to Rapp getting injured.

Thanks again mate! I know, spoiled the party a bit. It's 4 weeks injury though, so nothing serious he'll miss 6 matches in which Bundt can have some game time :)

I can't help but think what would have been the case if I would have done this earlier, maybe the likes of Kocot, Maladenis and Golenja would have been playing for Germany now... who knows

Tactical musings

stuttgart.jpg

this is an updated piece on the thread I have made in tactics section of the forum, just thought I'd share it here. 

Given my relative success with the following system I'd like to explain my thought process towards how and why it works

316b3c8e5d9341559e647a0675c4784f.jpg

I will make a few points about how important it is that you figure out how you want to/can play and adjust accordingly. I notice a lot of people thinking any tactic could work with any team or any team can play any style of football, which I believe to be the reason for their struggles. At the end of the day, if football would be that simple it wouldn't actually exists in its current competitive form. It's a very complex game with infinite amount of variables, however the one thing that you can or have to do as a football manager is know how you will play.

And when I say that I don't mean being 100% sure from the start, everybody adjusts and learns along the way exactly because of the complexity of the game that i mentioned earlier on. You're bound to be faced with unknown scenarios in the game one way or the other. The one thing that you can do is analyse your squad, try to understand the parameters of the tactical creator and what options it gives you and then come up with a solution to implement an idea. For example, team shape is a key thing in this FM I believe as it influences pretty much every aspect of how you play. So it's important that you understand the implications of playing a flexible or fluid approach before deciding which one to use. With the team above, employing a very fluid shape makes sense because I have very all-rounded players and a lot of what they do on the pitch is more down to their own talent rather than my specific tactical instructions. However, that is an instruction in itself! It is a decision you have to make whether you want your players to be free in making those decisions or not. My advice is to not tick things left and right and expect for a magical cocktail, keep it simple and, most importantly, make sure you can observe and understand the results of your decisions!  

so, key question:

What are your squad characteristics?

so, let's say you have good to excellent players, let's say defenders that can pass the ball 7 out of 10 times and midfielders that can tackle successfully 7 out of 10 times, which is how I would describe my squad at the moment. I have decided to field my strongest 11 and see which one performs best in which position and how I can fit it all into a system.

- So I have 3 CB's that can do a decent job on the ball, one of them slower than the other two, who have 16 for acceleration and 15/18 for pace. This means playing a back three should not be problematic as the 2 side CB's are quick enough to cover a lot of ground on both the wide and central areas of the pitch. Additionally, they are tactically intelligent enough to cover for each other and again, quick enough to come back to a central position from a wide position(for example challenging an opposition winger). 

- I have 4 DM's in the squad that are very strong, fast, hard working and good in individual duels. This enables me to have them deep enough to protect the backline and rely on their speed to support the team high up enough in transitions. The choice of roles is tied to a different issue: the overall style of play. So I have a normal defensive line and a standard mentality and a normal tempo, which means I will usually sit pretty deep and absorb pressure looking for an opportunity to either break away at speed or build up play in a favourable area (pass into space TI). Anyway, this is what I want. Why? Because:

- I have Rapp  (16Acc 18Pac), Gnabry(16Acc 15Pac), Eggestein(15Acc 14Pac) and Eichinger (17Acc 17Pac) that are all really quick players with good dribbling that can break away at speed as well as having high attributes off the ball which means they are intelligent enough to find space and exploit it. 

- So why DLP(D) and RPM(S) for the DM's? I decided I want two playmaking roles that will decide how the transition unfolds from deep. There are mainly two scenarios: We win the ball back and the DLP is responsible for picking up that long ball that opens up space or the RPM drives forward with the ball looking to initiate a more dynamic attack. I do not want any playmaking roles in the final third as that disrupts the flow of the movement, as players will look to pass to the playmaker even if another player is in a better position to pass to. 

- Naturally, in this system, I would rely a lot on the work-rate and stamina of the 2 wide players to cover the wide areas. Luckily, both at my disposal have really good attributes there. However, I decided that it would still be too risky to solely rely on those two, so I adapted the tactic to ease off the pressure on them. How? I maximized the team width. How does that help? It means that when the team is defending we have a bank of 5 players defending looking like this:

f34fd4ae818294993df55ed7e8b3859e.png

Here you can see my RPM challenging Atletico's forward for the ball whil the DLP marks the other forward while covering the space between the LCB and CB. You can also notice that the RCB and LCB are wide enough to challenge the wide players if needed (that is if the LWM and RWM fail in challenging or marking them), and the space they leave is covered by the two DM's, both instructed to tackle hard and mark tightly.

The Very Fluid team shape also plays a big part in how this system works. It's effect on this particular aspect of play(defending) is obvious: look at how close the lines are to each other. The team is very compact and allows little space to the oposition.

- The Shadow Striker and why is it working so well in this system: Matthias Rapp is a player I picked up when he was 15 and developed him in what many believe to be the finest German player of his generation.  

2fa0ff81f301b7ad25d3861ca8c343e5.png

5c9696ebd213e5bea7da9c8ec8066f7f.jpg

- notice the high work rate and the good tackling and marking stats

- Comes Deep to Get the Ball PPM

The combination of these factors play a decisive role in how Rapp interprets the SS role. In defensive situations he will come deep and help the midfield(see picture above) while his speed helps him transition quickly in attack and join the two forwards in no time.

- what I mean by adapting and suiting your system to the players you have: If I didn't have a player like Rapp I would have probably gone for a CM(A) in the midfield strata. This could turn out to be a viable solution if your side is weaker as well, as that would solidify the defense with a bank of 5 midfielders in the defensive stage of play. Additionally, if my 2 DM's wouldn't be so good in both challenging for posession and creating play I would probably have to change their roles and the whole idea of the system would change as a result.

Off the ball and passing are also very important in this kind of system, as a very fluid shape means the team relies on the player's ability to fill in for each other's positions and not waste passes when in critical situations. Overall stamina, work rate, good tactical attributes(anticipation, decisions, concentration) of the players also play a massive part in it as I rely on the players ability to cover ground due to the width mentioned earlier on. 

Also, my left midfielder cuts inside, and if he wasn't as technically gifted as the WM's I've got at my disposal I would probably instruct the team to exploit the right flank. I have opted not to for two reasons: one of them is the one above and the second is because I rely on the overall tactical intelligence of my team to 'pass into space' correctly, i.e. I leave the decision whether to exploit one side of the pitch or the other to their ability to read the game and interpret the right call. An overall weaker squad might struggle with that.

See how it's all interconnected?

Tactical musings - part II

stuttgart.jpg

So, about adapting,  for example, last season and in the early stage of this season I was faced with an injury/lack of squad depth crisis in the striking department

I've decided to switch the tactic to something like this

24479b93c25a3730adaf21f415f3ad5c.jpg

- the new formation changes the dynamics of play so adjustments are necessary

- 'cut inside' instruction is removed for the left midfielder as Rapp has been pushed to the left and occupies that area of the pitch, additionally this allows Hoxha to make more runs out wide and explore his pace 

- the AM is given a support duty because he has three players around him making runs from deep out of which two with attack duties. This is actually very important, because an absolutely key part of my tactical set-up was analyising the support/attack roles and how they're distributed on the pitch in relation to how the player's roles and instructions make the move

- Gnabry is now able to stay a bit wider because the AM, Besuschkow covers enough defensive ground to ease off that responsibility on him

- the RPM is now able to make an impact in the advanced areas of the field, with the AM holding up the ball while he overlaps him with his speedy runs from deep for both him and the RW

- the CF, Eggestein is playing with a support duty because he has two players 'moving into channels' in behind him that could break the opposition defense if given the right pass. In the previous system that was the job of the F9 and with the AM now sitting much deeper, Eggestein has to be given that task. Speaking about inter-connectivity, this example is a great one because at the end of the day, the thought that I've focused on while making these instructions is how the team will play or how the system will work rather than on individuals. One might be inclined that a striker on support duty is 'less attacking' but hey, football is not an individual's game, especially in a very fluid system. So, how did he fare in the new system so far?

e0cef606c25ff3dbc745cc30fe615e47.png 

not too bad :)

overall team performance until December?

2d24d13d9c88ca6ba894e56db6b008aa.png  960be8808eb3da72bb95d6607f90010b.jpg

3a3a4b7ccf11c2663397e4e8ef18abb0.png

33a57ec30e2eefbf81614994ef2404e1.png

not too bad :)

9 hours ago, LPQR said:

Tactical musings

stuttgart.jpg

this is an updated piece on the thread I have made in tactics section of the forum, just thought I'd share it here. 

Given my relative success with the following system I'd like to explain my thought process towards how and why it works

*Snip*

Very well laid out and spot on!

56 minutes ago, davehibb said:

Loving this thread and your Dynamo Dresden one mate. Big fan of the Bundesliga.

Looking forward to your updates. :D

:) cheers mate, always refreshing to see the effort appreciated

22 hours ago, Ceching You Out said:

Very well laid out and spot on!

:thup: Thanks mate, I really enjoy writing these pieces. I sometimes feel the 'tactical journey' of the careers gets ignored in favor of the spotlight of club and player achievements, but I personally find it really interesting to see how people change and think their tactical approach and succeed or fail and what's their reasoning behind it all. After all, quite a big part of being a manager :) 

January 2021 

stuttgart.jpg

For a second year in a row, one of our players wins this award.

bb2fe2e2c6fa4dde506d57f5c6e60010.png

after Eggestein last year, it's Timmy's turn. and what a player he has become, I must say he exceeded all my expectations towards his development and most notably, performances

023775fe48c061af4036c8e3fcefe07f.jpg

btw, remember me saying he's like a mini-version of Gnabry back in 2016? :) spot the difference now

speaking of which, Gnabry has been shortlisted for the Ballon D'or this year after registering an average rating of 8.16 across all competitions in 2020. LEGEND

be2c24a63e1162bf75b46392cf7f5f26.jpg

1 hour ago, davehibb said:

Eichinger looks as good as, if not better than Gnabry already. He must be a lock for the Ballon D'Or in a year or two.

yep, he really kicked it off last year, after Avdijaj left. He's still just 21 as well so, plenty of improvement time ahead! Rapp, Eggestein, Gnabry, Eichinger, all of them could end up there in spotlight, but if I'd choose I'd obviously go for Rapp :)

With 17 Goals and 20 assists in all competitions last year I wonder how he didn't find himself shortlisted for any of the European Awards...

65332745dd277b3883d7bb5686a3d441.jpg

Archived