the choice of the host country of the world cup and other tournaments.

I recently downloaded and looked at (for as much as the game would stay stable) the Millennial sim. For those who don't know, a member of reddit played 1000 years of the English football league in holiday mode o football manager 2015 to see what would happen ( http://www.squawka.com/news/football-manager-1000-years-simulation/432057 )

One thing that interested me was the hosts of the world cup countries. There seemed to be a limited pool of 21 potential countries that kept repeating themselves over and over. From memory these were

(1 England

(2 Spain

(3 Italy

(4 France

(5 Germany

(6 Russia

(7 Greece

(8 South Africa

(9 Morocco

(10 Egypt

(11 Brazil

(12 Argentina

(13 Mexico

(14 USA

(15 Canada

(16 Australia

(17 Japan

(18 South Korea

(19 Argentina

(20 Brazil

(21 China

I haven't played past 2030 on football manager 2016 yet, but the same principal seems to be in place. Almost every time the same country gets the same tournament that year. in 2026 the WC is in USA and in 2030 its in England (In the exact same stadiums as well) and euro 2024 has always been in Spain and in 2028 in Italy. The only deviation I saw was when the 2022 world cup was moved to Morocco instead of China.

the Football Manager series is one of my favourite game series of all times, but I think its a slight break on realism to have a such a limited list of potential hosts for each tournaments. The world cup in real life has been held in countries like Uruguay, Chile, Switzerland and Sweden so having mid ranked (though I wouldn't want every country to be a potential host for obvious reasons) countries in the potential pool of world cup hosts is a good idea.

I'd also like to know if there's more variation in the host of tournaments in the 2020s and 2030s on other peoples games?

The game is excellent, so this is just a tiny bit of constructive criticism and a topic for discussion :)

I don't see any issue with those countries. That's actually quite a large pool. A WC these days is a massive undertaking and not many countries could physically host it.

Of your 4 examples of smaller hosts, Chile were the most recent in 1962 when it was a much smaller tournament and event.

What Edgar said. Of course places like Uruguay have hosted, but they'd be very unlikely to do so again given the huge spectacle that the competition is now. You could even argue that the list you mention is too big. Could South Korea and Japan host tournaments separately? (they perhaps could, just wasn't sure). And given that you have a list of 21 countries, that means that they'll rotate every 84 years. Or once a lifetime.

They could make it more dynamic I suppose - if you're managing in a country and raise it to a much higher profile, and have new stadiums built, then it would be nice if they could be awarded a maiden World Cup, but it's certainly not a priority.

• 1 month later...

There's surely have to be more random in those choices, especially long-term (though I understand why SI made it fixed, very few players actually play for so long).

World Cup hosts pool is quite large, but what we see for continental tournaments (using save from this thread):

European Championship:

Portugal

Spain

Ukraine/Poland (always together)

Scotland/Wales

Switzerland/Austria

Belgium (why not with Netherlands then?)

France

England

Italy

Germany

Russia

Well, still quite a big pool, though some countries that had bids IRL are not included (Greece, Turkey, Sweden etc.)

Asian Cup:

Qatar

Japan

Australia

China

India

South Korea

Yes, that's all, only 6 countries are able to host. While Iran, UAE, Indonesia, and even Kuwait and Lebanon actually hosted Asian Cups IRL.

African Cup:

Egypt

Mali

Ghana

Senegal

South Africa

Angola

Cameroon

Ivory Coast

Senegal

Guinea

DR Congo

Eq. Guinea

Tunisia

Algeria

Nigeria

Morocco

Gabon

Good job here :thup:

Copa America: don't know why, but it's never hosted in game by Brazil (except 2019, but guess it's from database) and Argentina. And since 2055 more than half of tournaments are hosted by Uruguay.

England never seem to host World Cup's on my games, I'm interested to know what stadiums they use.

Its 2028 in my game england won the 22 in Argentina and 26 world cup in the USA with different managers! i am the manager for the 2030 world cup.

Old trafford

Wembley

New White hart lane

city of manchester stadium

elland road

anfield

st james park

stadium of light

villa park

goodison park

How many countries IRL have 10 stadiums that are WC standard plus the infrastructure and (most importantly) the money to host an event this size? Seems a realistic list to me - in fact, I would probably shorten it a bit.

It's just like the Olympics, really. Why do you think old host cities like London, Tokyo etc. are chosen these days? Because they're the only ones who can pull it off.

Having said that, it should be dynamic so that if a nation progresses enough in-game and the needed amount of big enough stadiums are built, they should be included in the pool - I have a looong-term save on FM13 that I still keep going once in a while, just in the vain hope to see Denmark (co-)host the EURO... ;)

I sort of wish this kind of thing was an option that could be handled by the editor (although I'm aware the World Cup seems to run completely outside of that) mainly because I'm a sucker for insignificant countries getting prominent somehow--I'd love to make it so that literally any nation in the FM world was eligible to host a major competition.

• 2 months later...
Because it gets moved to Canada in quite a lot of people`s game (including mine) due to complaints (in-game) about the scheduling.

I've not seen Canada yet but yes it always gets moved in FM2016(I've seen China, USA, Morocco & Australia).

Archived