TESTUDO for FM16

Unfortunately, I've now hit a bad patch. I have not won in 8 and only scored 2 in those games. Tactics are fluid, team is pretty much the same. My luck is certainly out because in one game (at home to Curzon Ashton, sitting 21st), my GK made a clearance upfield under no pressure, it hit my central defender and went over the GKs head and into the net.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, first season in National League predicted 22nd but just about managed to scrape into the play offs.

Been steadily improving the squad all year, possibly too much as i went on a terrible run in January when 3 players joined and likely upset the apple cart a little.

But i was really building for next year so was expecting and prepared to accept this.

Play off is a bonus, don't fancy beating Wrexham over 2 legs, they smashed me in the league and finished 17 points ahead of me, even if we went up it might be too soon as we are still fielding Conference South players at this point.

High light of the season so far was making the 3rd round of the FA Cup, drawing Stoke at home and getting a 1-1 draw before they gubbed us up at their place. £200,000 in the bank from that tie though.

Will see how the play offs go, if i don't make it up i fancy us having a good run at automatic promotion next season as i've been steadily building a strong squad.

mSnCLci.jpg

I just got the sack at Ipswicht after losing 4 out of my 5 last matches. (Testudo standard)

I'm looking for a new job, perhaps a new save game. -> Cardiff and Bolton both approached me. I am now Cardiff manager, again with Testudo standard.

I did indeed lose to Wrexham in the Play-Offs, 4-2 despite being the better team over 2 legs.

That's football.

Expecting to go up next year.

I keep banging on about strengthening your team non-league.

If your plodding along waiting for your young players to get better in ain't gonna happen for you.

This is what i've been up to this season, 14 new signings (3 joining in summer).

Get scouting hard, as soon as you get someone whose current ability is 1 star better than your player try to bring them in, no loyalty.

Quality in, garbage out!

FsT7340.jpg

I'm loving the tactic always like a save in the Czech Republic so went for the side predicted to finish bottom not played many but have made a cracking start

0iCCFyT.png

TaspoNY.png

Got knocked out of the cup in the third round but was against one of the strongest teams in the Czech Republic.

My main striker is also doing okay just hope he chips in with a few more goals

NwSAOSC.png

I tend to tinker with the tactic before a game mainly against stronger opposition I switch us to playing defensive which tends to make it that bit more stronger and did that for my last two games which resulted in wins.

don't normally make a point of posting on the forums but credit where credit is due cheers Mr Rosler

Still Trying with Corby town and still having no luck, i did manage 2 wins and a draw on a three game run but just lost again, my aim this season will be to just survive and hopefully i pick up some players to improve the team at the end of the season.

I would post a screen shot of my results but i'm not 100% sure how you get the pictures out of the game??? If you can help me out with that i will post some for you.

I have been using the standard tactic, v1 with my spurs team in the 3rd season. Using my own tactics, I did pretty well in season 1 (1st with 79 points, very tight finish) and season 2 (1st with 75 points), I didn't do quite as well even though my squad was better. I was playing, generally, a 4231 counter tactic.

I thought I would give this a go, although I generally don't use plug in tactics as a rule however this looked close to how I wanted my team to play. In my 3rd season, using the Testudo tactic all through preseason and now with 19 games gone I can report really positive results. P19, W17, D0 and L2. My losses were both 1-0 results away to quite defensive teams, I just couldn't break them down, I had far more chances.

So, with a decent team the standard version of the tactic is really good in my experience.

I have been using the standard tactic, v1 with my spurs team in the 3rd season. Using my own tactics, I did pretty well in season 1 (1st with 79 points, very tight finish) and season 2 (1st with 75 points), I didn't do quite as well even though my squad was better. I was playing, generally, a 4231 counter tactic.

I thought I would give this a go, although I generally don't use plug in tactics as a rule however this looked close to how I wanted my team to play. In my 3rd season, using the Testudo tactic all through preseason and now with 19 games gone I can report really positive results. P19, W7, D0 and L2. My losses were both 1-0 results away to quite defensive teams, I just couldn't break them down, I had far more chances.

So, with a decent team the standard version of the tactic is really good in my experience.

I'm assuming that should be W17 :brock:

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a third of the way thru my 2nd season in the National League.

My objective was to pick up 2 points a game thinking 92 points would get me automatic promotion.

I'm on track with that.... but so are 4 other teams, its a real bun fight down here and with only one Auto-promotion spot you really need a level of consistency which is a bit of a push non league regardless of how strong your team is.

Still, my teams getting stronger year on year so when i do go up i think i'll be in a position to challenge for an immediate promotion out of league 2 which with 3 automatic promotion spots is much more forgiving.

I wonder if an 'update' is on the horizon and how that will effect things.

I'm going to give this a go with Manchester United as I've been wanting a decent save with them, but I can't seem to get the team to perform how I want. I'll probably look to buy in players to go with the tactic where possible, but hoping it still suites the current players.

People have been moaning about Man U this year.

Interested to see how you get on.

I'll let you know how it goes, probably in 5 game intervals. I'm probably going to sell some players I wouldn't normally, like Wayne Rooney, Juan Mata (because he doesn't really perform out of position), James Wilson (doesn't fit the tactic) and Ashley Young because he earns 120k per week and I can find someone much better for that.

Kane should be ideal.

Clough became world class on my Leeds save last year, played a lot of games for me.

I can't seem to get rid of Rooney as teams don't want to pay his wages, so i'm actually wondering if he would be the perfect wide midfielder? The description given by fm certainly suggests so.

I'm looking into every little detail, including individual training for each player in the position they will play, unless they're already natural and 100% in that role.

On the transfer front, I'm thinking we need a better player than Valencia (getting old) so I'm looking at Kevin Volland...

I can't seem to get rid of Rooney as teams don't want to pay his wages, so i'm actually wondering if he would be the perfect wide midfielder? The description given by fm certainly suggests so.

I'm looking into every little detail, including individual training for each player in the position they will play, unless they're already natural and 100% in that role.

On the transfer front, I'm thinking we need a better player than Valencia (getting old) so I'm looking at Kevin Volland...

I'd also think about Rooney in the Central Midfield role.

Just to give my first game verdict before the more extensive ones, we played Tottenham at Old Trafford and the end result was (3-2 W). Spurs didn't really deserve their 2 goals in honesty as they only had 3 shots all game, with one of those being a nonsense penalty and the second one somehow slipping from De Gea's hands, 2 goals in 2 mad minutes!

I was pleased though with the result because we put in a good performance with 21 shots and 12 on target, Harry Kane constantly causing problems, putting Herrera through for the first goal (although it bounced off an opposition player before landing at Herrera's feet, so it's not an assist) and then scoring a wonderful goal which he brought down from a long ball at the back and ran through the defense.

Just one note of disappointment, the wide players didn't do a very good job, but hopefully once we've played more games they will understand the system better.

Played 6 games so far...

Tottenham (H) 3 - 2

Already mentioned a report above.

Everton (A) 1 - 1

A pretty dull match in truth, Harry Kane had a slight injury so I left him on the bench, replaced with Wayne Rooney who managed to score. Unfortunately Everton scored a 92nd minute goal...

AS Monaco (A) 0 - 0

We played pretty poor here, but the main thing was that we didn't concede against the toughest opposition we could have had at this stage.

Newcastle (H) 3 - 0

I had to make adjustments to the starting line-up for this match due to fitness issues after our trip to Monaco. I started Martial up front and despite the young Frenchman not making much of an impact, the wide players made sure we won the match! This is the first match where the wide players have played well.

AS Monaco (H) 4 - 0

2 RED CARDS! Despite losing Wayne Rooney in the 31st minute and Marcos Rojo in the 50th minute, we still managed total domination throughout the entire match! Harry Kane and Memphis Depay managed a brace each.

West Ham (A) 0 - 0

2 RED CARDS!!! AGAIN!!! Yet again 2 red cards, this time in the 52nd minute for Herrera and then the 72nd minute for Sead Kolasinac. We didn't play well here, but we didn't play poor either and deserved the point.

Conclusion so far...

I'm very worried by our disciplinary record, averaging 3 yellows per match and picking up 6 yellows and 2 reds against West Ham! Any thoughts on this? Other than that, I can't complain as we haven't lost a match yet, but we seem particularly poor in away matches, yet dominant in home matches, am I doing something wrong?

The tactic is certainly on the edge discipline wise. Its not normally that bad, plenty of yellows but not that many reds.

It should settle down.

Your not doing anything wrong, you wont win every match, you'll draw a fair few but losses should be rare with Man U.

Once a striker or wide midfielders hits form you should score consistantly.

Yep, you understand the last question ;)

Should I watch Coach Report also to decide if a player is better for CM or BWM?

Nope, should be able to work that one out from the attributes. Defensive attributes for BWM, Offensive attributes for CM/a.

I'm loving this tactic with the LL tweaks Rosler! Got my Schalke side to 3rd in the Bundesliga (really tough to get past Dortmund & Bayern) & won the German Cup. Second half of the season I went on an unreal run of about 20 games unbeaten; I bought Malcom in the January window & after changing him to a False 9 he was superb. False 9 & Deep Lying Forward aren't that different really, but he performed like a totally different player.

Thanks again dude.

Another 8 games gone and the tactic has really started to show it's true self (good or bad?)

Man Utd 4 - 2 Stoke

If you have viewed the video I recently posted, you will know what Valencia did in this match, he came on as a substitute and within 10 minutes made his entrance known with a wicked 35 yard strike! We had struggled up until this point, but things just got better and better. Great win!

Man Utd 3 - 0 AA Gent

ZACH CLOUGH DEBUT I decided it was time to give Zach his chance in what was billed to be our easiest game of the 6 in our group (with this being at Old Trafford against the weakest team). He delivered not once but twice and almost made it a hatrick when his shot was cleared off the line by a defenders block. Kevin Volland also came to life for the first time since joining with his first goal for the club!

Leicester 1 - 2 Man Utd

Finally an away win! Zach Clough once again made an appearance, this time late on as a substitute alongside Martial (who would take up wide left) and the both of them combined for Martial to score a late winner!

Man Utd 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd - Carling Cup

We had a shaky first half, missing a penalty and both teams scoring, but in the second half Zach Clough (making his second start of the season) came out a whole new player and slid Valencia and Depay through on goal to pick up 2 assists! The kid just can't stop dictating results! Also making his debut was Sergio Romero (our goalkeeper for the Carling Cup and FA Cup runs).

Man Utd 2 - 0 Southampton

This was a tough match indeed and although Harry Kane got us off to a flying start with a 5th minute goal, he really struggled to do anything else and so I replaced him in the second half with Zach Clough in the 56th minute. We finally scored again in 72nd and you can probably guess who scored :D

CSKA 0 - 1 Man Utd

I felt this would be a really tough match and I wouldn't have grumbled if we'd lost, but we played surprisingly well with 12 shots to their 5! Harry Kane started again but was even worse than the previous match, so I replaced him yet again with Zach Clough at half time. You guessed it again, Zach Clough scored the goal!

Swansea 0 - 0 Man Utd

I think we used all our energy in the Champions League game, because we didn't look ourselves. I rewarded Zach with a start in this match, but he also seemed to run out of steam, eventually replacing him at half time after a very poor showing, hoping Harry Kane could have a super sub appearance (didn't happen...) Main thing is we didn't let them score!

Man Utd 3 - 0 Man City

Harry Kane had an injury, Wayne Rooney also injured and Zach Clough was tired, so I had to start with Anthony Martial up front with no other options. Luckily he rose to the challenge and chipped in with an assist. We played great football and restricted their star studded team to just 5 shots with 1 on target! Simply brilliant! I gave Zach 10 minutes at the end with the hope he could chip in, but it wasn't to be.

MY VERDICT

I am very impressed with this tactic and we've started doing well in away games as well, something no other tactic (downloaded or created) has been able to do. I will continue to post my progress, but probably a watered down version from now on :)

This is my first season with Watford, using the 451 with tweaks from the last thread, which I'm assuming is very similar/identical to the original tactic in the OP.

gT8wimK.jpg

Pretty happy with the tactic so far. I will start off next season using the updated tactic and will let you know how it goes.

Interesting tactic just got my Barnsley team promoted to premier league, Was 3-0 down to United in first half of first game of season switched to this second half..still lost 3-0 but much improved second half may consider this for away games although needs a few more games to become fluid.

I think I may have just stumbled upon a small change for away games that brings more out of the team. It's a glimmer of hope and will need further testing for sure, but going off statistics...

13 Away games...

5 x (0-0)

3 x (1-1)

4 x (1-0)

1 x (2-1)

So as you can see, we draw more games than we win whilst on the road and not only that, but we have failed to score more than 1 goal in 12 out of 13 matches... That is pretty poor you have to admit, especially for a team that is top of the table and through to the knockout stages of the champions league.

For a while I have tried to get my head around what the real problem is, what are we able to do well in home games that we fail to do well in away games? The answer... The Central Midfielder (A) has very little impact in away matches, but is a focal point in home matches which has a massive effect on the way we play and relies heavily on our wide players to make the impact. In home games, we perform best when our CM (A) is performing well and has often been known to score the odd goal here and there himself, whilst dictating the play.

The solution... Now I could be wrong and this could have just been a fluke, but I will provide more evidence once I've used it more often, I removed the CM (A) and added a False 9 in attack. The False 9 acts just as it's described on FM, it pulls defenders away allowing our wingers and DLF more space and it also adds extra help for our other striker (DLF) when attacking, as our striker has failed to get into games on many occasions and he's isolated without the help of the CM (A).

The result... We won 3 - 1 and dominated the match, something which hasn't happened at any point this season in an away match. We dominated so much that it could have easily been 5 - 1 or 6 - 1! We even hit the woodwork.

I have looked at other statistics within our away matches and have noticed that on average we hit 50% possession, sometimes worse and very rarely more. We average around 12 shots per game and have only managed more than 12 on 3 occasions with the maximum of 20 shots. Finally, our striker (whoever it may be on the day) has averaged around 6.6avmr over the 13 games, with only 1 time hitting a 7.0 and 1 time hitting a 7.9 with the 7.9 coming in our (2-1) victory.

In the match we have just played with this change, Harry Kane (DLF) and Zach Clough (F9) have both scored, Clough also had an assist. We had 55% possession, we had a record 28 shots on goal and Harry Kane had a 7.3, whilst Zach Clough had a record 8.4!

Sorry for the massive post, i'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences to see if they reflect what I have said.

I thought I may well look like an idiot posting all that up after just one game with the change, but we followed up with another away game 2 days later, this time with low fitness and the end result...

(4-1)!!!

21 shots, 54% possession, DLF (6.9) and F9 (9.2)! So our DLF didn't do much this match, but he still did better than the (6.6) average and the false 9, in this case "Zach Clough", scored 2 goals and 1 assist! We again dominated the game and yet again hit the woodwork. They only managed to score through a horrific defensive error which eventually led to a penalty after bouncing around our box.

EDIT

Ok, so we played our 3rd away match in a row over the Christmas and new year period and this time it was against Tottenham, so by far a much tougher test than the previous two. The final result ended 2 - 1, so yet again we managed to do something we had failed to do 12 times out of 13 matches (score more than 1). The strikers played extremely well with a 7.8 and 8.3, 55% possession and 17 shots. Their goal was pure magic from a long range free kick, so again it was something out of our control as these things happen, just like mistakes happen.

I think 3 matches is enough to convince me that this works, but I will now do another 3 away games and come back with my results.

Archived