Luis Enrique's FC Barcelona

Sorry for posting the same in different threads.

Well, I've been using this shape and I'm finishing 1st season with FC Porto: 26 wins and 4 draws in the league with more than 20 points ahead of the 2nd place, just wone the League Cup and I'm at the Cup final, as for the League, 120 goals scored and 15 goals against. Oh, and as for possession I have an average of 68%.

Control / Fluid, Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Work Ball into Box, Play Out of Defence, Much Higher Defensive Line, Close Down More, Mark Tighter, Use Offside Trap, Prevent Short GK Distribution, Higher Tempo.

The only issue I'm still working with is against sides that use two strikers or, depending on the player roles, against 4231 formations (when the AM is more attacking and joins the striker.)

ab_JLz_XLagd.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I wanted to avoid starting another thread, so thought I'd hijack this one...

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Luis Enrique lined up in terms of roles? I was really impressed with how he used Messi, Suarez and Neymar (MSN) together and was interested to see whether it can be translated into FM? He really got them firing.

This is going to be my starting point - I've deliberately kept it quite simple.

1783434860_Screenshot2019-09-03at17_09_45.thumb.png.c337d1b60b4b09404381ab7d2f2b7c81.png

Perhaps a front three combination of IF-S, DLF-A/PF-A, and T-A could work well. I saw Neymar as more of a creator than a goal scorer, and Suarez was definitely the spearhead in attack. Having the IF-S on the left would allow Alba to bomb on like he did IRL too. 

I already had this discussion before with some friends, and seems like no roles can translate Messi and Neymar into the game.

Neymar was the type of player who could easily be the winger because of his creation to Suarez,and the explosion and pace he had, and his PPM would send him inside in case he wanted to score, and Messi would be a IF-A, because he could create and appear in dangerous positions upfront.

The problem with this 2 is the AI that control them, they are not half smart as the RL players. It will end with both trying to many individual plays instead of looking for a pass, and also too many bad solo advances in the final half. To simulate both we would need first a better offensive transition to ressemble better their fluid moves.

I often have problems with Messi no matter which formation/role I try (4231 as AM and 433 as IF). His trait of running often is not quite what he has been doing the last 2 years, in which he played much more as a playmaker. It results in him trying to drible too often (thus I agree with @masno). 

In my honest opinion i would instruct Neymar to be a Winger (A) so that he can use the full left side of the pitch to his advantage. He will still try to cut inside because he has the "cuts inside from both wings" trait and wide forwards do tend to get narrower once the ball reaches the final third unlike wide midfielders in the CM strata. Jordi Alba would ve used as a Left Back (S) to cover for him. I remember that during Enrique's period he had trouble getting good performances from Alba as he often prefered to give Neymar full positional freedom on his wing and he even used Mathieu a lot on the left instead of Alba because of this. 

Messi would probably be a TQ (A) on the right or maybe even an AP (S). Depends on what you want and what you need. Being a TQ would make him more direct i think because of the higher mentality. AP (S) could be a good instrucion if you want him to drop deep and start play combining with the central midfielders like he does now for Barca and most notably when playing for Argentina. Semedo/S. Roberto would probably have to provide an overlap so either WB (S) if Messi is a TQ or WB (A) if Messi is an AP (S). Just note that this flank will probably be a defensive weakness of your system so the right CM (assuming you play a 4-4-3) would probably be instructed with a more conservative role (think CM-S/BWM-S/B2B maybe even. Would probably not choose a playmaker role for this position to not make him pass the ball forever between him and Messi).

Suarez while most people would have him be on an attack duty i think it depends on the role Messi is playing. If Messi is a TQ (A) then he might need someone to combine upfront so either DLF (S) or PF (S) for me (he will still try to make a ton of forward runs because he has the "try to beat the offside trap" trait). He Messi is an AP (S) then i think that Suarez will have to be more aggressive with his movement, so in this case either AF or PF (A) fits better i feel.

Archived