World Club Championship value?

I don't know how highly players value the World Club Championship in real life, but I feel like they value it too highly in FM. To me, the WCC is basically like the European Super Cup or the Community Shield. It's not that big a deal. Yet, when I tried to rest a couple key senior players, and use it as a chance to give a couple promising youngsters a stage to show off their skills, the senior players go bananas. I mean, do players who have already won everything there is to win in IRL get that upset if they don't get to play in this tournament? I don't think so.

Worse, I don't even have the option to explain this to them. All the options are basically, "I don't think you're good enough, sorry." Why can't I tell them that I don't value the competition very highly and would like to use it to play some youngsters? They don't get this upset when they miss out on the League Cup squad.

Now I have a riot on my hand :(

I bet if Real Madrid irl left out Ronaldo, Bale etc then I would expect the players to be unhappy, the fans disappointed and the club ownership livid. Theres TV exposure to global markets, plus the prestige of winning against the South American best (in general). I mean 2 games, 1 generally a 'gimme' to win a trophy, collect a medal and a nice bonus cheque... who wouldnt want to be part of that!

As for FM, use the kids as subs? Give them 30 mins or so in the easier game and then similar in the Final if all has gone well?

It's a world championship. Why wouldn't they want to win it? I think it's overwhelmingly a British attitude that the Club WC is a waste of time. There doesn't seem to be the same disdain for it on the Continent.

This was Real Madrid's starting XI last December. They really wanted to win it.

GK 1 Spain Iker Casillas ©

RB 15 Spain Dani Carvajal

CB 4 Spain Sergio Ramos

CB 3 Portugal Pepe

LB 12 Brazil Marcelo

CM 23 Spain Isco

CM 8 Germany Toni Kroos

RM 11 Wales Gareth Bale

LM 10 Colombia James Rodríguez

FW 7 Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo

FW 9 France Karim Benzema

Well it's a bit of a no-brainer as to why, it's like Northampton Town Vs Liverpool back in 2010, all the South Americans want to be like the players from Northampton Town, whilst the European Players simply think they are superior and should walk it, which means the cup is nothing to them.

However, some European teams do take is seriously from time to time as has been proven with Real Madrid.

Well yeah, you're stating the obvious. Two teams have a match, both want to win it, one is fighting for their dinner the other is fighting for their life, so to speak.

I'd say pretty much all the European teams want to win it. I know as a fan in 2008 really wanted United to win it. And they put out a strong team:

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=colspan: 4][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

<th style="width: 25px"></th><th width="25"></th>[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GK[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Edwin van der Sar[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]RB[/TD]

[TD]21[/TD]

[TD]22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Rafael[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10px-Sub_off.svg.png 85'[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CB[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Rio Ferdinand (c)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CB[/TD]

[TD]15[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Nemanja Vidić[/TD]

[TD]10px-Redcard.svg.png 49'[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LB[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Patrice Evra[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]RM[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png Park Ji-Sung[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CM[/TD]

[TD]16[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Michael Carrick[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CM[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Anderson[/TD]

[TD]10px-Yellowcard.svg.png 70'[/TD]

[TD]10px-Sub_off.svg.png 88'[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LM[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Cristiano Ronaldo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CF[/TD]

[TD]32[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Carlos Tevez[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10px-Sub_off.svg.png 51'[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CF[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Wayne Rooney[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Viewing the WCC as a second tier competition is a very anglocentric position that has been pushed by the media, outside of the UK it is a very important competition that carries a lot of kudos.

Viewing the WCC as a second tier competition is a very anglocentric position that has been pushed by the media, outside of the UK it is a very important competition that carries a lot of kudos.

This. I'd say I both understand it, and don't understand it. I understand that in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty low in priorities given that the participants are probably battling in the Champions League at the time (unless you're Chelsea lolz), but I don't understand it because it's a WORLD CLUB CUP! I just can't fathom why players wouldn't want that on their CV. I doubt it's the players though to be honest, it'll be the club as an entity, and then it only seems to affect English sides (I say English, a Scottish side would want to win it obvs). Real Madrid seemed pretty keen to win it.

I can say that for most countries it's not really important. It's more like a happy festival of football, but I don't think any football fan considers it a big achievement/tournament. The teams themselves might, but that's a different matter..

To make it more clear, I'm sure the amount of people that watch the CL final are 100x the amount of people watching the WCC final.

Personally I dont think Ive ever watched even one match of this tournament, just some highlights from time to time.

I can say that for most countries it's not really important. It's more like a happy festival of football, but I don't think any football fan considers it a big achievement/tournament. The teams themselves might, but that's a different matter..

To make it more clear, I'm sure the amount of people that watch the CL final are 100x the amount of people watching the WCC final.

Personally I dont think Ive ever watched even one match of this tournament, just some highlights from time to time.

Completely disagree with the fans not considering it a 'big achievement/tournament'. I for one really wanted to win it when United got there, as did all the people that I go the football with.

Is that not a bit of a vicious cycle though, given the terrible coverage it gets (at least in the UK)? How is anyone going to get excited when you get barely any coverage? It's like the Europa League - a wonderful tournament that gets shunted away to the tail-end of the week, often on ITV4. Regularly ends up a better watch than the Champions League itself.

If it was covered more, and wasn't treated like a diddy cup by most of the media, then I imagine it would be thought of better.

To be clear first of all Im not Brittish so I dont know how the coverage is there! :)

I think the biggest issue is the structure of the whole thing which doesn't feel so...robust?

It just feels like the old McDonalds cups in basketball where the top european teams would play the NBA champions. Noone took it seriously but it was surely a fun spectacle.

I don't really know though what would give it more "value", perhaps a more concrete tournament and not just 3 matches in total? And probably yeah, more coverage/advertisement would draw more attention to it.

The first time I encountered the WCC, I didn't even know what it was (I'm American, we don't know practically anything about soccer, er football), took my regular team and walked over the competition to win it. By the third time, I started sending my "near-retirees" and my younger rotational players to the tournament and sent some of my everyday starters on vacation (and won the tournament, anyway.) I think if you don't have some of those major nations loaded like Brazil, the level of play just isn't that challenging. I always end up playing a Korean team in the finals with grayed-out players.

To be clear first of all Im not Brittish so I dont know how the coverage is there! :)

I think the biggest issue is the structure of the whole thing which doesn't feel so...robust?

It just feels like the old McDonalds cups in basketball where the top european teams would play the NBA champions. Noone took it seriously but it was surely a fun spectacle.

I don't really know though what would give it more "value", perhaps a more concrete tournament and not just 3 matches in total? And probably yeah, more coverage/advertisement would draw more attention to it.

I think you've summed it up very well actually. I know in England no one really takes it seriously. I seem to remember a few years ago Man Utd were in it but they didn't particularly want to be. It's a bit like the 'Charity Shield'. It's a trophy, but no one is desperately trying to win it.

Archived