FM15 - The Vanarama Conference, North & South thread

CityAndColour

Hi all

A mate and I will be purchasing '15 on release date and to make things interesting for us we are going to both start with the same conference side and then see who can progress career wise up the ladder the quickest - i.e. via job offers, interviews etc.

We are not looking for a difficult start, so my question is this - who to start with will have a strong squad and a good transfer and wage budget available ? I guess the top 5 listed above are the main contenders (Gateshead, Bristol Rovers, Barnet, Forest Green, Torquay) ???

Thanks

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who have you signed?

Basically just a few loans as the wage budget was already used and I hate going over it. Signed midfielder Ibrahim Sissoko who trialled well but has been a bit of a flop. I don't think the squad is too bad I just need to find the right tactic. Have pushed the wing backs up to AML/AMR and pulled one CM back to DM. If that fails I will probably go back to a flat 442.

Nope. Just professional and semi pro.

Damn. I want to start with a local club and the two closest are Barnet (Premier) and Boreham Wood (South).

Barnet are quite good for the level they're playing in, especially with their facilities and I want to start lower, therefore the other option is Boreham Wood, but it's too far to have an emotional attachment to :(

I am surprised at how well I've gotten a short-passing 5-3-2 (wing backs) tactic working with Leamington. After 15 games we are sitting in 4th with 29 points (9-2-4), having won four of the last five.

Star men have been our strike pairing of Javlon Campbell (12 goals in 12 starts) and Aron Wint (7 goals and 5 assists) and centre half Jamie Tank (top five in the league for interceptions, key headers and key tackles). I've been keeping a pretty settled first XI, which has led to several players complaining about lack of playing time.

Really loving the fact scouting is so much more in depth, makes signing lower league players much less of an exact science and more guess work (as it should be), especially if you're trying to build a squad quickly.

Any tips for Aldershot?

Squad is underperforming (16th) but Fitchett ' date=' Williams , Oastler and N'Guessan are all playing very solidly but being let down by others around them. I really need a good keeper as well. Attack minded 4-4-2 is just haemorraging goals.[/quote']

Unfortunately I think most set ups leak goals on the beta right now. You will probably find that the poor 'keeping is more a game issue than an individual one right now.

That being said, the starting squad is very attacking, and very thin defensively. Who have you brought in?

I am surprised at how well I've gotten a short-passing 5-3-2 (wing backs) tactic working with Leamington. After 15 games we are sitting in 4th with 29 points (9-2-4), having won four of the last five.

Star men have been our strike pairing of Javlon Campbell (12 goals in 12 starts) and Aron Wint (7 goals and 5 assists) and centre half Jamie Tank (top five in the league for interceptions, key headers and key tackles). I've been keeping a pretty settled first XI, which has led to several players complaining about lack of playing time.

Really loving the fact scouting is so much more in depth, makes signing lower league players much less of an exact science and more guess work (as it should be), especially if you're trying to build a squad quickly.

After struggling through to 16th place in my first season with Leamington, the second year has started a lot brighter and we sit third after 10 games.

Lost Stefan Moore but have kept virtually the same first XI that Leamington starts with. Have changed to a highly structured, short passing 4-1-2-2-1 (a DM, two MCs and two AM wings). Defence seems a lot more solid and more chances are being created. Aron Wint has 13 goals in 10 games as the loan striker.

After struggling through to 16th place in my first season with Leamington, the second year has started a lot brighter and we sit third after 10 games.

Lost Stefan Moore but have kept virtually the same first XI that Leamington starts with. Have changed to a highly structured, short passing 4-1-2-2-1 (a DM, two MCs and two AM wings). Defence seems a lot more solid and more chances are being created. Aron Wint has 13 goals in 10 games as the loan striker.

Nice - with my start I'm hoping to finish higher than 16th but would be delighted with anything in the top half. What sort of quality of player was available to you after your first season, in terms of transfers?

Nice - with my start I'm hoping to finish higher than 16th but would be delighted with anything in the top half. What sort of quality of player was available to you after your first season, in terms of transfers?

I really struggled to attract anyone at all. I have signed only two starters in one and a half seasons, the rest are from the initial squad. I am trying to scout thoroughly before signing too many players - currently 1k under wage budget. Sitting in first equal after 18 games.

Aron Wint is going unbelievable up front. He now has 24 goals in 16 games. Just scored four after missing three weeks with injury.

Edit - classic jinx, lost the next game 4-0, our first loss since the third game.

Interesting - I've been pleasantly surprised by the squad. Will be looking to offer new deals to Morley, Tank, Chilton, Magunda, Goddard, Wint and Hubbins at the very least.

Currently trying to entice Marvin Williams, who is a lower league favourite of mine and has just been released by Sutton, but he's not playing ball yet. Love how you can talk to them and try and convince them to sign too.

I have Tank, Goddard and Wint locked down for at least one more season. Will hopefully build my team around those three for the next few years (they are all 21-22).

Really hoping my tactic remains effective after the latest patch.

I have Tank, Goddard and Wint locked down for at least one more season. Will hopefully build my team around those three for the next few years (they are all 21-22).

Really hoping my tactic remains effective after the latest patch.

Early signs are not good as the goals have completely dried up with the latest update. Three losses and one win from first four games with the update has seen me slip back to third.

Edit - 1 win, 2 draws and 8 losses since the update. Gone from 1st to 8th.

Any tips for Aldershot?

Squad is underperforming (16th) but Fitchett ' date=' Williams , Oastler and N'Guessan are all playing very solidly but being let down by others around them. I really need a good keeper as well. Attack minded 4-4-2 is just haemorraging goals.[/quote']

Based on real life that isn't underperforming :( Although our problem isn't haemorraging goals but rather not scoring enough and then switching off in the last 20 minutes regardless of the score.

I haven't got the game (yet?) but as CityAndColour said we haven't got many defenders on our books, although the quality is ok. If you are using Barker as LB you may want the LM to be less attacking as I expect he is pretty slow on the game as RL and would be left exposed with an attacking formation.

If the defending issue is improved, I'll be looking to start a save soon. Quite likely to be Bristol Rovers, but might go with Aldershot (narrowly picked Hereford over them in FM14) or Stockport (met an uncle recently that I hadn't seen for many years and his passion for them hasn't dwindled despite their plight).

There are some free/cheap/loan players that I have in mind for the level, but Ross Gaynor and Vences Bola might come in to the reckoning again after their success with me at Hereford last time!

Just had a look for you Jogo - Bola starts at Wealdstone on non contract terms, and has some pretty handy attributes (15 finishing, 12 technique, 9 dribbling, 14 pace) at that level. Ross Gaynor hasn't showed up with English leagues only and a large database, but obviously loading Ireland would rectify that.

Just had a look for you Jogo - Bola starts at Wealdstone on non contract terms, and has some pretty handy attributes (15 finishing, 12 technique, 9 dribbling, 14 pace) at that level. Ross Gaynor hasn't showed up with English leagues only and a large database, but obviously loading Ireland would rectify that.

Yeah, I saw that Bola had moved there but as a N/C player you can't go far wrong with him. The only thing that might stop me is that I usually try to avoid 'repeat' signings in order to keep it different. I'll see who else I can pick up from my preferred options, but if it fails then I know where to go for him. For anyone else, I really recommend snapping Bola up.

I usually load up only English leagues down to Vanarama North/South level but select all players of UK/Ireland nationality. The beauty of the Irish league is that contracts often expire in November, so you can pick up decent players for free if you wait a couple of months, or for small fees if you dive straight in. There are a handful of players from Scotland and Wales that I might approach too.

Cracking thread as usual, such a diverse amount of teams to report about in here.

Cheers. Who is doing the Football League thread this year?

I think Hoarau was going to do it, but I'm happy to help if he needs it. I've never created a guide before but have some ideas. Sadly, internet here is so bad that making a whole thread the way I want it would not be possible for me. For example it took 6-7 hours to get the Steam update to this current version last night :rolleyes:

Henoc Mukendi (20, striker, £500-800 pw)

A former Liverpool youth player, Mukendi offers a lot of potential, a strong left foot and blistering pace on top of a 6'4 frame. Might not be someone you can rely on for goals straight away, but bringing him off the bench while he develops may pay dividends in 2-3 seasons.

Loving this fella in my Gateshead save at the moment, integrated him into the 1st team and he's repaid me with 10 goals in the last 14 games. Now sitting happily at the top of the league. Good shout, cheers!

First season completed & I've gained promotion to League 2 with Gateshead finishing on 95 points. Matty Pattison standout performer, Player of the season (7.28 AV rating, 21 Assists). Mukendi also bagged 20 goals in 35 games.

Any tips on some players to sign to give me a chance of staying up? Budget - 550k, Weaknesses - CB & LM/RM but open to any suggestions!

Much appreciated.

EDIT: I'm guessing I'm also not wanted around these parts anymore with it being a Conference thread.. :(

Probably at Right Back or a Striker

21 games in to the season - sitting 18th struggling but keeping afloat!

Is Joel Ambalu still available on a free? He would fit the bill for a club of Dover's size. Another option is Javlon Campbell - no idea how he would do in that division, but he is closing in on 40 goals for me in the Conference North.

EDIT: I'm guessing I'm also not wanted around these parts anymore with it being a Conference thread.. :(

Haha as long as you start with a non league team you can update as much as you like, even with the inevitable Champions League success.

How did you find John Oster?

Is Joel Ambalu still available on a free? He would fit the bill for a club of Dover's size. Another option is Javlon Campbell - no idea how he would do in that division, but he is closing in on 40 goals for me in the Conference North.

Wow! What a player in Javlon Campbell. His preferred moves make him brilliant as an advanced forward. Thanks so much for the heads up on him.

Will have a look at both of them tonight! Cheers!

How are any of you 'Vanarama guys' finding the defending and goals conceded in the full version of the game? Cheers.

Not too bad - crossing still seems a little overpowered (both in terms of quality delivered and defending of) but my goals for/against wasn't too bad in the first season - 88 for and 63 against in 42 league matches, plus another 2/5 in the playoffs. A little high maybe but we scored the most in the league and I play a fairly attacking style.

Season review - Leamington - Conference North - 2014/15

Overall a very positive campaign given we were tipped for relegation, but still a disappointing end in the playoffs. We finished 3rd after winning 23 games, and despite a commendable 2-2 draw in the first leg at Stockport, we capitulated in the second, losing 0-3. The Hatters went on to clinch promotion, beating AFC Fylde in the final and joining league champions Harrogate in the Conference Premier.

In terms of key players, Javlon Campbell was clearly the star of the show, netting 38 times and adding 10 assists for good measure. His strike partner Aron Wint added 17 goals and 11 assists, and left wing back Lee Chilton also provided 17 assists. Playmaker Jordan Goddard was the heart beat of our midfield with seven goals, nine assists and the most key passes in the division with 51.

Attracting players for the new season looks like it will be a challenge, however most of our key players have been retained on new deals.

Haha as long as you start with a non league team you can update as much as you like, even with the inevitable Champions League success.

How did you find John Oster?

Didn't get much of a look in with Turnbull & Pattison both in incredible form, but came in and did a job when needed.

He has subsequently retired and I've hired him as my new HOYD!

I am waiting for FM2015 to download as purchased through Steam.

Do Maidenhead United have a player called Sam Barratt at all ?

I am secretary of Bracknell Town (Hellenic Football League Premier Division - step 5 so 3 levels below Maidenhead) and I have negotiated and sold Sam to Maidenhead in August in real life.

Wondering if he has made it onto the game..... that would make his day if I could tell him he had.

Duds

I'll check for you in about ten minutes - had a hard drive crash and had to re-install Windows, so starting again with Leamington.

EDIT - Doesn't look like it, however if it was recent it may have been after the data lock. Loading all players from the Hellenic league may get him though.

Archived