Rainmaker v2 and Silk & Steel v2.......... A Combined Arms approach to FM

First 4 games back since the new ME, and so far 4 draws. 2 I had to rescue late.

It's suspicious. I'm not the kind of guy to scream ME as early as he can but I was looking at a serious run at the points record in La Liga before this spell.

Oh well, atleast I am still undefeated.

EDIT: LOL not anymore. Ended up losing one game. 29-8-1. 95 points. +87 GD. 110 for 23 against. Ridiculous stats.

And beat Man U in the CL Final 4-0 for my first CL win too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, thanks for overlooking my rudeness. There are a few thing I'm not really sure about. I haven't picked up my games since I last quit. Now the team is in a really bad run and morale is pretty low. For example one of my strikers hasn't scored a single goal in 12 matches and his confidence is at the bottom. What shall I do with him? Leave him on the bench or giving him another go?

When it comes to teamtalks, the times it has backlashed me is for example at half time losing the game I've been assertive and far from happy but some players lost confidence and motivation. Then of course we lose the game. Being a home game at the end of the game I'm still assertive far from happy and the results are the same.

Players have gone to media criticizing my match talk & I have had to have conversation with them saying to them they'll see a change. Now I've followed instructions of front page for match talks. So saying that you never had any players complaining, there's must have been something I've done horribly wrong but I can't quit put my finger on it. Because when is the morale considered too low to be harsh in matchtalks?

Now when it comes to getting a player sent off during a match, whether it'll be at home or away I always seem to lose those games. Conceding some ludicrous goal at the end. What should you do in that situation?

Also press conferences? Do it on your own or leave it for the assistant?

Thanks in advance. Take care

Hey SouL,

I'm a firm believer in Raikan007's teamtalk guide. Very detailed on what you should do teamtalk wise. http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-tactics/115433-raikan007s-teamtalk-guide-fm14-how-get-right-reaction.html

Since the new update Ive started conceding more goals from set pieces even though Im constantly on def set pieces. In the last five games Ive conceded 8 goals, six from set pieces. Otherwise all good except for the same old same old lots of chances and then opponents draw with last minute equaliser from first chance..... low level teams defending deep and getting a lucky goal. Ho-hum (not the fault of the tactic).

Since the new update Ive started conceding more goals from set pieces even though Im constantly on def set pieces. In the last five games Ive conceded 8 goals, six from set pieces. Otherwise all good except for the same old same old lots of chances and then opponents draw with last minute equaliser from first chance..... low level teams defending deep and getting a lucky goal. Ho-hum (not the fault of the tactic).

Not seen the problem with set pieces myself but you are the 2nd person to mention this so i will look at it.

v3 versions of the tactic are on the way, noticed a few things already which can improve attacking play considerably.

Wont be rushing anything out though as i want to get it right first time.

Huge fan of the Tactic, has really transformed the way I have been with FM and allowed me to concentrate on a full club approach (Building youth etc.). So far on the new update my results would suggest the S+S is by far the better of the 2. I have played 4 games since update, 1 was a loss to championship Wigan 3-1 (whole game with Rainmaker), this has then been followed by a 2-0 win over Lowly Norwich (S+S) a 2-2 with 19th placed (came back with S+S after being down with Rainmaker) and then finally stuck with S+S for a 5-0 away win at Derby. I have found since the update that set pieces have become a lot more prevalent. Has anyone else found this so far, that S+S is working a lot better at the detriment of Rainmaker?

PS thanks Uwe great tactic

Testing Rainmaker v2 now using it 100% of the time with Chelsea to put a benchmark down before running test again with v3 to see how much we can improve it.

First 10 games with v2, not terrible but room for improvement.

IoQJZAm.png

I've been using S+S exclusively since patch in all games with my Norwich team and so far we've won 8 and drawn 2 scoring 24 and conceding just 5, beating teams such as Bayern Munich, Milan and Man City

I've been using S+S exclusively since patch in all games with my Norwich team and so far we've won 8 and drawn 2 scoring 24 and conceding just 5, beating teams such as Bayern Munich, Milan and Man City

The way S&S & Rainmaker v3's are evolving they are becoming so similar we could end up back with just one hybrid tactic.

OK full season test with Chelsea using Rainmaker v2 exclusively is complete.

Not bad, not enough goals scored though. the Chelsea squad is worse off without Mata.

Tae9OQU.png

Other stats

CORNERS

Scored 5

Conceded 4

Indirect FK

Scored 5

Conceded 4

Direct FK

Scored 3

Conceded 0

Now to test V3!

fingers crossed you can improve it :) S+S is proving almost indestructable for me at the moment though on new patch both home and away still, if you can get this as a better option when combined with S+S again it'll be the best yet

That's funny because I just can't get going with it. Performances are lacklustre, goals are few and results are inconsistent. That was true before the patch though to be honest. It's universally praised on here so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I tried my best, given my squad, to match the players to the requirements outlined in the opening posts but I'm a million miles away from the performances described on this thread.

Since new patch I've noticed the following with Rainmaker v2 (but also with S&S v2):

I'm receiving much more yellow cards and red cards

I'm conceding a lot of goals on set pieces.

Further, it seems that my team does not get as many chances as before the patch.

Don't know if this helps you, but wanted it to let you know.

Good luck with v3!!

Since new patch I've noticed the following with Rainmaker v2 (but also with S&S v2):

I'm receiving much more yellow cards and red cards

I'm conceding a lot of goals on set pieces.

Further, it seems that my team does not get as many chances as before the patch.

Don't know if this helps you, but wanted it to let you know.

Good luck with v3!!

Fear not, its pretty clear to me where the attacking play can be improved and I have it in hand.

To be perfectly honest we are missing 10/12 easy goals a season we were getting from corners we need to pick up the slack in open play.

I'll get there, I always do. It's just a question of time.

With last patch I really don't suceed with your tactics with Bromley (Skrill Premier)... :(

However, last season with your tactics and still last patch I managed to finish 8th, but this season, with better players, I'm like fighting for no relegation...

EDIT : As soon as I say this I won 4-0 away at the 8th's team...

EDIT 2 : And I lose the next one which is against the last team who had 0 won...

The patch has ruined my save.

I could never really get anything happening with Rainmaker, so pretty much used S+S for the first two seasons.

Got Leicester promoted as champions in the first season and then finished 4th in Prem in the second with only a few signings. The update happened towards the end of season two and immediately, I noticed a difference in how we were playing. Games we would win before, were now narrow defeats and it was only an excellent result in the final game that gave us 4th position.

Third season, and we're not the same team at all. My CF was a beast, but he can't get above a 6.5 rating now. Simple things like passing to each other seem to have become a thing of the past.

It's a real shame too, because I'd just about given up on this game until I started using these tactics.

Similar problems to others after patch,

Cards - turned off Hassle opps sorted the yellows but knocked possession down abit

Lots of offsides - changed CF to DLF sorted that.

Still not passing it like we did but picking up points so will do for now haven't score from a corner (inc scrambles) in the last 6 games that's 50-60 corners on the plus side haven't let one in

v3 looking unstoppable at the moment..... albeit with Chelsea.

16 straight wins. 10 in League.

The ME is finally allowing me to create the attacking play i've aspired towards all along.

The set up is pretty attacking, i thought i would have to 'pay the piper' in terms of conceding but we've been uber solid at the back as well.

TMNxWXx.png

Just completed a 12 hour stretch, eyes look like something out of 'Ren & Stimpy', think i'll call it a day........

Hi, I've been having unbelievable success with the v2 of your tactics, I currently have Leamington from Skrill North 2nd in League One with 1 game to play. Hopefully i will have them in the Championship very shortly... I'm keen to use v3 of your tactics due to the current success. One question as i head toward the summer transfer window and with your new tactic in-mind...Are you still using the 4-1-3-2 layout with same player roles? Weird request i know :rolleyes:

Anyway keep up the great work you've certainly made my 5 seasons enjoyable :brock:

Great to hear that you are working on a post 14.3 tactic. I'm shipping goals big time since the update and languishing toward the bottom of the league with Everton. Been without a computer for 5 weeks, get a new one, get going with FM only for the update to ruin my Everton save.

Looking forward to the new tactic, Big Thanks Mr Rosler!

Been playing with a AP in the central mid role and a DLF and AF up top seems to be working ok won last five matches, think my problem with offsides was just Darren Bent being keen, 9 games still no goals from corners.

Well, that was unexpected - Was approached by Villa to take over their vacant manager's position, which was a bit of a suprise given my recent form. Think the struggles I've had aren't necessarily related entirely to the ME update (apart from the fact maybe that Keeper's now seem to be even more super-human than before!!), but it happened to coincide with the beginning of the season. I suspect it's more that the Scunthorpe squad is not quite good enough for the Championship, and there is nothing in the piggy bank to strengthen it.

That, coupled with the slightly frosty relationship with the board since the takeover at the end of last season, led me to accept the job at Villa. They're currently languishing mid-table in the Championship, and I'm expected to mount a play-off challenge. Squad should be more than good enough for this level, and with just a few weeks until the January window opens, I've been handed a £10million transfer kitty, with an £800k pw wage budget! For the time being, from what I'm reading, best thing is to stick with S&S rather than use Rainmaker post patch?

Ironically, my last game as Scunny manager was against Villa - they thrashed me 5-1 (Darren Bent scored 4), and still gave me the job!

The run had to come to an end at somepoint....... would have to be at home against bottom of the table team.

To be fair, Cech is out for a month and i'm having to play Schwarzer. pretty sure we wouldn't have conceded those 2 goals with Cech in goal :brock:

7vtNKsD.jpg

The run had to come to an end at somepoint....... would have to be at home against bottom of the table team.

To be fair, Cech is out for a month and i'm having to play Schwarzer. pretty sure we wouldn't have conceded those 2 goals with Cech in goal :brock:

7vtNKsD.jpg

Impressive - Is this with V3?

How do you play the seasons so fast???

I have a quad core machine and cannot get through as fast as you.

Well, when i'm testing i only load up the english leagues........ i also get up early :lol:

Archived