England manager in 2016 - Stale Solbakken

Stale Solbakken has just been named England manager, replacing Roy Hodgson.

Who??

Well, he has a very good record in the Danish leagues, having won the league and the cup most seasons in-game. However, this is a man with an unremarkable managerial record and playing record. I know the England job isn't the most desirable but this just seems too bizzare.

article-0-014A4CDE00001005-961_306x423.jpg

He's done well for FC Copenhagen in real life as well, did not do well with 1. FC Köln (Cologne) and Wolverhampton.

I agree that it seems like a weird hire. He does have a pretty good reputation though, having done well in Europe with FC Copenhagen.

Well, he has a very good record in the Danish leagues, having won the league and the cup most seasons in-game. However, this is a man with an unremarkable managerial record and playing record. I know the England job isn't the most desirable but this just seems too bizzare.

So he went straight from FCK to England in-game?

I don't really hold the Wolves fiasco against him, as he was given a very difficult task, and replacing him with Dean Saunders at half season didn't change anything for the better (rather the contrary) -- with relegation and the dismissal of Saunders. But he obviously doesn't have a track record that would make him a natural choice for England ...

• 1 month later...

Ok one I haven't seen before.

After the 2018 World Cup where England crashed out in the group stage they have appointed Leonid ****skiy as manager.

Who? you may ask, well IRL he is the current CSKA Moscow manager. In my save he did the league & cup double in Russia in 2013/14 & 2014/15 also winning the league title in 2015/16. This was enough for Arsenal to sign him up where in a two season spell he led them to 3rd & 4th in the Premier League with nothing of note being achieved in Europe.

EDIT

Swear filter working overdrive I see that is S_lutskiy btw.

Why was his name censored? :p Edit: Answered

Ståle Solbakken is one out of several up-and-coming norwegian managers (along with Ole Gunnar Solskjær and Ronny Deila). He has done very well in FCK (both before his failure in Köln and after), and he may end up having a bright carreer as a manager

However, the english national team? That seems a bit far fetched. How has FCK been doing in europe the last couple of years? They must have had some solid campaigns for their manager to get enough rep to take over England

It's 2023 in my game and I only have the Italian leagues running.

Roy handed over to Roberto Martinez in 2016 and he in turn handed over to Neil Lennon in 2020.

Neil Lennon has just won the World Cup in 2022, (beating Brazil with 3 extra-time goals in the final). All 3 goals were scored by a newgen from Chelsea. There are still a few old faces knocking about in 2023, (Ox, Will Hughes, Nick Powell, Zaha, Jones, Barkley, Wilshere, Butland, Clyne, Bertrand, & Forster), but Englands strength is built on some astonishing products of the Chelsea youth system.

In my save it's July 2032 (I only have English leagues loaded):

Stale Solbakken

Stayed with FC Kobenhavn until July 1st 2016 when his contract expired. They won the Danish Superliga and Danish Cup three times a piece.

He joined Zenit in October 2017 winning the Russian Premier Division (2019), Russian Cup (2018 and 2019) and Russian Super Cup (2018). Leaving Russia in June 2019 he took up the role of manager at...

Marseille where he stayed for two year, winning the French Champions Trophy (2019) and Coupe de la Ligue (2020).

From there he has spent the last 11 years in charge of Arsenal winning the Premier League (2023 and 2032), Community Shield (2023 and 2031), Capital One Cup (2024, 2030 and 2031), FA Cup 2026 and the Champions League 2032.

England

Stuck with Roy Hodgson until his retirement in 2016. England finished 3rd in the 2014 World Cup.

Dick Advocaat took charge for the next two years before his retirement and did nothing remarkable.

Then Slaven Bilic took charge in July 2018 and has just left, July 2032. He too has retired. During the 14 years of him in charge England were World Cup runners up in 2030, European Championship winners in 2024 and 2028, Confederation Cup winners 2025 and 2029.

England have yet to appoint a new boss.

Archived