FM14: Portsmouth F.C. - We've Slipped Down A League Two Many!

Ty

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just popping in, nice thread guys.

Ricey have you tried F12. Steam's screenshot shortcut. I always use alt+F9 but I guess if your F keys are different the F12 workaround won't work either.

Ty: In previous seasons you said something about wages being capped at around £50k. Is that your doing (being sensible) or the boards? Cause in my Glasgow Rangers save I can alter the slider and put all my transfer budget into wages, so in the end I could offer over €100k pw. Something I'd definitely not do though as I've capped it at €40k pw for a select few. Just curious is all.

Ty: In previous seasons you said something about wages being capped at around £50k. Is that your doing (being sensible) or the boards? Cause in my Glasgow Rangers save I can alter the slider and put all my transfer budget into wages, so in the end I could offer over €100k pw. Something I'd definitely not do though as I've capped it at €40k pw for a select few. Just curious is all.

I can now offer to around £80k (2021), I really wouldn't want to offer more than that really. I don't want to be paying crazy wages!

Very interested in starting a new save with Portsmouth and trying out your tactics posted in OP but have few questions.

did you change any the basic philosophy's or mentalities?

was preseason just 3 or 4 friendlies or did you use more?

Were the team instructions you used just a base to start at?

Inspirational thread here TY - my misses got me this for Christmas and i've been scratching round for a long term save to get my teeth into. I'm a Newcastle supporter by day but traditionally i don't start a save with them until the end of Jan transfer window update comes out (having to play with Andy Carroll once he was sold to Liverpool broke my heart!) Anyhow flittered around a few teams before i read this and i thought it presented an excellent challenge.

Only into Mid October but currently sitting pretty at the top of the league two points ahead of Wycombe and 8 a head of third. Even at this stage i think only a major catastrophe will stop us going up. Focus of my team is youth - recalled Webster and want him at the heart of my defence with Harris leading the attack.

Preferred formations at the moment are a 4-4-2 / 5-2-1-2 / 4-2-3-1 although saying that i've yet to really give 4-2-3-1 a proper turn as i don't have the personnel available to fit the system. Not sure if this will be longterm plan but it should be enough to hopefully get me up into the Championship.

In terms of finances i haven't got a pot to pi$$ in at the moment but i knew this coming into the challenge. Focus will be loans, youths and freebies. Notable results so far include tanking nearest challenges Wycombe by 4-0 as well as beating Sheff Wed in the first round of the league cup before going out to Birmingham away on pens after 1-1 draw.

Connolly has been fantastic so far and Harris was doing very well before injury.

Hopefully going to make a real dent in this over the weekend. Will keep you posted.

Very interested in starting a new save with Portsmouth and trying out your tactics posted in OP but have few questions.

did you change any the basic philosophy's or mentalities?

was preseason just 3 or 4 friendlies or did you use more?

Were the team instructions you used just a base to start at?

I honestly can't remember what team instructions I used at the start, as I have changed and adapted my tactics over the years to suit my players. Currently I am using 3 x AMC's which is a lot of fun!

I always tended to use Rigid - Control/Standard (and still do) and I always like to play 5 pre-season games, with training set to tactics only very heavy.

TY - awesome thread! Regarding your tactics, please could you define them a little more? I'm using your reccomended 4-5-1 with Harris as a False 9. 6gls in 7 for the One Direction wannabe! Just wanted to know what you used as strategy etc..

As said above, I really can't remember what I did with the tactics in the OP, that was nearly 2 months ago :( Great to see Harris playing well for you as the F9 though!

Inspirational thread here TY - my misses got me this for Christmas and i've been scratching round for a long term save to get my teeth into. I'm a Newcastle supporter by day but traditionally i don't start a save with them until the end of Jan transfer window update comes out (having to play with Andy Carroll once he was sold to Liverpool broke my heart!) Anyhow flittered around a few teams before i read this and i thought it presented an excellent challenge.

Only into Mid October but currently sitting pretty at the top of the league two points ahead of Wycombe and 8 a head of third. Even at this stage i think only a major catastrophe will stop us going up. Focus of my team is youth - recalled Webster and want him at the heart of my defence with Harris leading the attack.

Preferred formations at the moment are a 4-4-2 / 5-2-1-2 / 4-2-3-1 although saying that i've yet to really give 4-2-3-1 a proper turn as i don't have the personnel available to fit the system. Not sure if this will be longterm plan but it should be enough to hopefully get me up into the Championship.

In terms of finances i haven't got a pot to pi$$ in at the moment but i knew this coming into the challenge. Focus will be loans, youths and freebies. Notable results so far include tanking nearest challenges Wycombe by 4-0 as well as beating Sheff Wed in the first round of the league cup before going out to Birmingham away on pens after 1-1 draw.

Connolly has been fantastic so far and Harris was doing very well before injury.

Hopefully going to make a real dent in this over the weekend. Will keep you posted.

Great to see you aboard, I am still exclusively playing my Pompey save so when the chance arrives I will get more updates out. I am in 2021 now with a very strong squad!

The best part with Pompey saves over the past few years has been those bargains and freebies, even better when you turn a profit on them. Try and keep the core youngsters as long as possible, as much as £350k may sound good for Jed Wallace in your first season, I turned away £10m bids not long ago. They will be good enough for the Prem if you ever get there :)

Season 2014/15 - League One

The league went just as well as League Two, absolutely dominated (after how things are going in the Championship, and that I won the league with Everton, I feel my tactics are quite strong). As you can see, we scored a lot of goals and again had minimal defeats.

1adfb7fed88d88195a49f331e50be08f.png

League Table

The goals were mainly down to that fella again Ashely Harris destroying the league. He equaled his stats from last season again this year, on the last game of the season, scoring a hatrick and assisting one against Notts County. He finished top scorer again, but missed out on the top assister by 1. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to emulate those stats in the Championship, and lost his place in the starting XI. Here are Harris' stats and the stats against Notts County on the last game of the season...

0ca4666610f448686ef564ea39503224.png

Ashley Harris League Stats

f6950ff77de78cb4c5f8dc24bbcaeeb6.png

Match Stats

It was really awesome to see the Team of the Year, with Butler, Harris, Wallace and Webster in it. All the Pompey youngsters at the start. They have all come on leaps and bounds, especially Webster and Wallace, who I think are the only two who will keep their space in the XI in the Premiership. Butler/Harris would be good rotational players though.

330b4c8758044158a5e034d2e3368fc0.png

Team of the Year

The Cups - FA Cup, Capital One Cup & Johnstone's Trophy

Here is a screenshot of how we did in all the cups - Screenshot

We did amazing in the FA Cup and went out in the end to a very strong Swansea squad. We had a pretty easy run to the 6th round, so couldn't complain too much about getting a strong opponent in the 6th.

The Capital One Cup went amazing, so proud of the run! Beating Wolves, Bolton, Q.P.R, Nottingham Forest before eventually going out to Liverpool in the quarter final (who played a full strength team).

Johnstone Trophy was easy compared to the opposition we played in the Capital One Cup, and we was the eventual winners. Woo, my first trophy as Pompey manager. I may have won 2 leagues, but it is always nice to win a cup!

Transfers In/Out

Transfers In - Screenshot

Transfers Out - Screenshot

I managed to offload most of the League One deadwood and brought in some Championship quality players. Bringing in Amalfitano, Semedo on permanent basis and a few other Prem boys on loan. Hayward and Grant are regens I managed to snatch under the noses of Premiership teams who were chasing them, both 5* rated so I am hoping that they come good in years to come. They both look brilliant prospects.

Petrucci did enough in the season to grab a permament move to us in the summer before the Championship, he is a brilliant CM(AP) on attack. Rosenior is another coup, a fullback who can play either side and is Champ/lower Prem quality. He got 10 appearances after joining that season and has been a solid player in the Championship for me.

That is basically the season, I have almost finished an amazing season in the Championship after a bit of squad building during the summer. I genuinely think my tactics are either very strong or I have just had too strong of a squad each season. We will find out in the Prem, due to currently having a £75k a week budget in the Champ... I am hoping the board allow a lot more than that in the Prem, otherwise we're gonna struggle to bring in quality players to compete.

How do you get so many good players on loan. I am currently playing as Cambridge and I've just managed to get them in league 1, but every time I try to sign a player on loan the parent club tell me that they want them to be playing at a higher level! Have you got any good tips on loaning players?

Great thread by the way!

I'm halfway through the season and I'm 5th but it's very close with only 3 points separating the top 6. Despite using the same tactics as last season we seem to be playing the opposite; we're great at scoring goals but we also concede too many. We had one crazy game where we lost 6-5 at Shrewsbury!

Jed Wallace has been amazing so far, he has 20 assists already and a 7.7 average rating! I'm surprised no other clubs are interested yet. Also Harris is the league's top scorer with 19 so far. He even scored one direct from a corner!

I get same problem on my Win 8 laptop. Worked fine on Win 7. I've loads of different Alt, Shift F button combinations but no joy. Couldn't be arsed going to Windowed mode just for screenies

If you hit alt and f9, a screenshot will be saved automatically but you cant name it.

If you go to imageshack, the site I use, and click upload then browse/upload .... The file in which the screensot has been saved will pop up.

There you can upload your screenie and copy the link.

The screen shots you take will appear in the file with the time the shot was taken listed, that should enable you to see what screenshot you need to upload. I say that because the screenshots are saved under similar titles, try it, you'll see what I mean.

Nice work PuP and well done on Harris - he's been very hit and miss for me.

My update from the south coast is largely positive - still top of the league and built up a 12 point lead ahead of second place Wycombe. Performance wise form of late has been a bit hit and miss, i'm playing a fairly solid 4-4-2 and it seems to work although it does require tinkering every now and then. patrick agyemang and David Connelly have performed very well with about 25 goals between them, although Connelly has been prone to injury which forced me into looking about for alternatives so i brought in Lee Barnard on a free and he has been excellent with 9 goals in first 9 games.

The downside so far was having to sell Webster and Wallace for a combined fee in Jan of £750k - both had contracts expiring at the end of the season and both weren't looking to resign and with a number of clubs hovering, i had my hand forced. Really taken the shine off my season as both had performed very well and i'd hoped to of built my future teams around them. Oh well onwards and upwards - trying to blood a few more of the youngsters but none reached the looks of those two.

Baring a a complete collapse we are going up and i'm already starting to assess targets for the new season. Keepers, defenders, midfielders and strikers all needed. Time to get wheeling and dealing.

Hey guys been following this thread for a while now and only started this week with a Pompey save.

Transfers In:

Joe Partington Loan

Angelo Balanta Loan

Adriano Basso Free

Donal McDermott Loan

Paul Connolly Loan

Was happy with my Ins this season apart from Balanta who just didn't perform and I had to stick with Barcham who had 11 gls 8 asts in 39 apps

Transfers Out:

Bondz N'gala Free

Shaun Cooper Free

Patrick Agyemang Loan

Was never going to use Agyemang so I thought i'd let him go on loan. N'gala and Cooper's contracts ran out before the new year.

I ended up getting promoted finishing 1st on 93pts. Key performers were Harris with 20 gls 10 asts, really like him in that False Nine role, Sonny Bradley ended with a 7.17 rating and Wallace had 11 asts with a 7.07 rating. Big year in League 1 with all the young prospects and I can't wait to see how they go.

I haven't been able to play FM for a while, or post in here. I'm in season 3, not yet through to January, and just above mid-table in the Championship after a good start and then a real slump. Injuries have disrupted me this season, but some players are beginning to return.

Having used 442 for two successful seasons, I may need to come up with an alternative - but my team's real quality is in the striking positions so I can't contemplate anything less than two starting in attack. My nostalgic re-signing of Yakubu on a one-year deal (with promises included that were never going to become payable) has not really paid off yet. In his four games he scored and assisted a couple - and then promptly got injured for four months and is not close to returning yet.

My main two strikers have are Jonathan Soriano and Patrick N'Koyi, who are converting at a good goals-to-games ratio but have both had lengthy injuries. Stipe Perica and Ashley Harris are excellent alternatives, whilst Dan Holman has served me well but is now available for transfer. Conor Chaplin has really been lighting up my U18 and U21 squads and will be making my first team squad next season when the loans of Soriano and Perica end, and Yakubu's deal expires. Wallace and Butler remain regulars in my X1, Webster hasn't impressed so much and has been out injured for months. Whatmough is another youngster who should move in to the first team squad next season after impressing for my U21 side and whilst out on loan.

Unfortunately we missed out on the play-offs on goal difference after we were held to a draw on the last day of the season :( We were on course to finish third but an own goal from Webster with ten minutes to go left us in 7th.

At least our youngsters are doing well, Ashley Harris was top scorer with 26 and Jed Wallace was the star player with a 7.27 rating and 28 assists.

Hi guys! A very helpfull and good thread, for a third year running i've selected Portsmouth for my FM adventures (as they provide a real challange). Currently in my fifth season, here is some key data and updates for anyone who is considering bringing Pompey back where they belong! you'll have to excuse me for my english, it's not that great..

As i said, im currently in my fifth season and just won promotion to the BPL:cool: . I'm still sticking with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation (thanks Ty!) with my striker(false 9) and b2b midfielder being key performers.

First season: 2013/2014

Transfers in:

O'Connor - loan - Blackburn

Daniels - loan - WBA

Kiernan - loan - Wigan

Balanta - loan - QPR

Martin - loan - Southampton

Green - loan - Charlton

Gordon - free (January)

Luccin - free (January)

Transfers out:

Smith - free - Blackpool

N'gala - released

Cooper - released

+ a handfull of youth loans including the great prospect Whatmough (watch out for that guy!)

Make sure you bring back Webster from loan, he develops throughout the season becoming a key member of your squad! Can play all across the back four!

Tactically i was struggling before christmas, conceding alot of goals and was laying around 4th-6th place. Luke Daniels was playing poorly, so there was a no-brainer for me to bring in Gordon, i can't remember what his contract was like, but i could easily afford him. Peter Luccin came in as a solid DM (allthough lacked speed) as an alternative to Ertl, who never really found his way in my team.. I ended up second to Chesterfield with 85 points, but after my early struggles i was happy with winning promotion.

Best 11:

------------Gordon

O'Connor - Martin - Kiernan - Butler

-----------Luccin

----Ferry - Wallace -----

Green ----------------Balanta

----------Harris

Webster, Devara, Connolly (12 goals!), Ertl, Daniels and Padovani all made valuable contributions to my promotion-winning campaign.

Key performers

A. Harris - 31 lg apps, 19 goals, 6 assists + ha had a few niggling injuries disturbing his performances - fantastic as a false 9!

J. Wallace - 45 lg apps, 5 goals, 13 assists + amazing b2b midfielder, allthoug very raw when you start your game. Developes fantastic!

D. Green - 46 lg apps, 14 goals, 10 assists - Scores incredible long-range efforts.

A. Balanta -34 lg apps, 9 goals, 15 assits - quick feet. Assist-maker.

Second season - 2014/2015

Transfers in:

Green - free

Kiernan - free

Abdul Osman - free - Crewe

Wabara - free - Man. City

Henderson - free - Hull

Mesca - loan - Fulham

Lundstram - loan - Everton

Daniels - 100k - Bournemouth

Clarke - 22k - Huddersfield

Calderon - loan - Huddersfield

Fredheim Holm - 50k - Valerenga

Woods - free

I started my summer bringing several of my key-performers from the season before. Due to some sales i had an OK budget for salaries and transfers. Most of them is on outgoing contracts and willing to come for reasonable wages. Balanta wanted too much so i opted for young portugeese winger Mesca, which i do not regret. Osman is a hard working DM on cheap wages from Crewe, and Lundstram provided valuable back-up on the B2B aswell as DM position. I brought in Daniels to provide som experience in the back four, but he could never take Butlers place in the 11, proving to be a massive (and expensive) flop for me.. Clarke came in as a solid centre-back with the same purpose as Daniels. Calderon and Wabara fought over the right-back slot (with Wabara winning easy...) and Fredheim Holm arrived on a cheap due to his contract running out. He provided good backup for Harris. Henderson arrived as a back-up to Ferry, but due to a injury-hit season he played a significant number of games, and did very well. I brough in Gary Woods as a free back-up GK.

Transfers out:

Paintner 240k - Sheff Utd.

Warren - free

Bird - free

Luccin - free (He only had a short-term contract and wantet a hefty pay-rise)

Craddock - free

Devara - 140k - Patrick Thistle

Sullivan - 9,5k - Doncaster

Ertl - 40k - Yeovil

Padovani - 40k - Clermont Foot

Bradley - 6,5k - Fleetwood. (Way too cheap, he actually becomes an allright championship player..)

+ several youth loans.

Paintner offer to good to reject, and he had not really been able to justify his wages. He has good stats but was not performing any good. Might as well go with Butler! Ertl never found his way, easy choice when the offer came, Devara as well, he was good for me in league 2, but he was not a right back, and not a quality centre-back. Just a good all-rounder. I got a fair deal for him. Padovani was looking at very little playing time, but i could have kept him for backup. I decided i needed the money.

After struggling my first season defensievly, i made som tweaks to my formation, especially set-pieces. I fill the box up with people, and stopped having two men at the post. Your assistant will complain, but my goals conceded from set-pieces dropped significantly. I still stayed true to my formation though. I still felt i was conceding stupid goals and opted not to sign back Martin from Southampton. My new defensive setup with defensive full-backs proved to work well, as i conceded least goals in league one. Peter Clarke provided several tremendous performances being my club captain aswell. Signing of the year!

I started my campaign badly, with one point in the three first games, but from there on out, i never looked back. Securing 7 wins in a row from mid september to the end of october, and going 21 games unbeaten from 8/11 to 7/3 establishing a 13 point lead over Sheff Utd. I ended my campaign 28 wins, 10 draws and only 8 defeats. The best part: 97(!) goals and only 51 conceded. I won the league by a solid 10 points, scoring 19 more than the best opposition and conceding 11 less then the best opposition. All togheter a 46+ goal difference!

Best 11:

---------Gordon

Wabara - Webster - Clarke - Daniels/Butler

--------------Osman/Lundstram

-----Ferry/Henderson - Wallace-------

Green -----------------------------Mesca

--------------Harris

In addition Woods, Kiernan (32 aps!), Barcham (9 goals!), Fredheim Holm/Connoly made valuable contributions to my succsessfull campaign!

Key performers:

A. Harris - 44 apps - 33(!!) goals, 15 assists - League one player of the year. But not top-scorer (incredible..)

Mesca - 35 apps - 16 goals, 8 assists - A huge step up from Balanta. Sharing the burden with Barcham.

Green - 36 apps - 13 goals, 10 assists - Keeps scoring absolute screamers. Constant threat.

J. Wallace - 47 apps - 3 goals, 26(!!) assists - Highest amount of assist in one season i have ever seen. Amazing in his role..

Webster - 46 apps - 4 goals, 3 assists - High av.rating (7.32), started to really come of age, solid performer next to Clarke.

This season also so the emergence of Bradley Tarbuck (RW from the acadamy) - Make sure you give him some playing time, he will develop into a solid premiership player. (I have not seen him mentioned in this thread - Have you other guys not experienced his potential? :) ) I guess theese things can vary, as Fahad has not developed in the sense i expected..

Tarbuck:

19 apps - 6 goals - 4 assists.

Third season - 2015/2016

Transfers in:

Calderon - free

Nyatanga - loan - Sunderland

Wellington Silva - free

Porcari - free

Vaz Te - loan - West Ham

Aneke - loan - Arsenal

Verhoek - loan - Feyenoord

I felt that Kiernan was not ready for championship football, so i brought in Nyatanga to provide some experience on that level. He proved to be a good signing eventually pushing Clarke out of the starting 11. Porcari was this seasons main signing. An absolute beast of an DM, easily the best in the Championship. Signed on a free from some italian serie B club. Mesca declined a second loan spell, and i could not afford buying him (due to an extremely cash strapped season. :( i litirally had NO transfer funds available) I got Ricardo Vaz Te as a replacement after trying to get several others (including Memphis Depay. Try this guy if you can get him - amazing at this level). Aneke could play both DLP and B2B, and that was the main reason for signing him. Verhoek was a quality RW, signed as a replacement for Green (more on that later). Wellington Silva was another expensive flops, signed to provide competition to Harris, he had a really bad attitude and absolutely no goalscoring skills what - so - ever. He was my top earner aswell.. For the first time, i experienced that i struggled with attracting really good players - on loan and permanent signings.

Transfers out:

Danny Green - 225k - QPR

Ricky Holmes - loan - Bristol Rovers

Whatmough - loan - Bristol Rovers

Rwakarambwe - loan - Newport

Due to Pompeys bad economy, the board accepted a bid from QPR on Danny Green in January. I got a good replacement, and the fact that Tarbuck was emerging, and he's failure to learn the RW role i was not to dissapointed. He was not a stand out like in the league one. I got a fair price (and the club really needed it).

I was still pretty solid at the back, but found goals a bit harder to come by before Christmas (largely due to the loss of Mesca and Greens under-performing). Vas Te was varying in his performances, and when Harris got a injury for 6 weeks, Fredheim Holm and Wellington Silva failed to replace him (no wonder, as he was playing tremendously well!) In big contrast from last season, sadly, after christmas i found goals ALOT harder to come by, playing alot of 0-0 and 1-1 draws, and unfortunally loosing 15 games in total i lost my way a bit tactically. When you face difficult times it's easy to start tweaking your tactics for the worse. My best tip is to only make small changes during the season. I tried playing with two strikers, a flat four on the midfield only to experience that things did not get better - just worse. So after january i went back to my familiar 4-1-2-2-1, and with Harris fit again i started grabbing points again. I ended my season beating my expectations of a mid-table finish, 3 points clear of playoffs.

In 46 games: 18W 13D and 15L Scoring only 65 and conceding 66. Not that bad defensively, but horrible offensively. All in all my season was OK. I was not expecting anything else with the squad i had availible. Allthough, Craig Gordon started costing me points with several bad involvements.

Best 11:

---------Gordon

Wabara - Nyatanga/Clarke - Webster - Butler

---------Porcari

Henderson/Ferry - Wallace

Tarbuck ----------------------Vaz Te

-----------Harris

In addition: Green, Woods, Aneke, Kiernan, Osman, Verhoek and Bercham made valuable contributions this campaing.. Ferryhad two serious injuries and could never get in the side..

Key performers:

Harris - 35 apps, 21 goals, 16 assists - Again, tremendous for me in the F9 role. Supporters player of the year third time running. Six weeks out!

Tarbuck - 26 aps, 9 goals , 8 assists - Had to use him alot more than planned, he answered with some really good performances.

Webster - 46 aps, 6 goals, 1 assist - Highest average rating (7,28) pretty good for a struggeling side...

Wallace failed to follow up his massive assist-tally providing 11 assists and 0 goals..

Butler had a weak season, but Daniels had aswell..

Fourth season: 2016/2017

Transfers in:

Woodman - 6k - Bury

Gazzinga - free - Southampton

Boutadjine - free - Dijon

Goransson - loan - Arsenal

Depay - loan - PSV

Mattock - 180k - Sheff Wed

Aneke - free

Nyatanga - free

El Hamdaoui - loan - Fiorentina

Ouasim Bouy - 300k - Juventus

Rico Ellis - free

Mesca - free

Feddersen - loan - Man. City

Morrison - 100k - Stoke

Ivan - loan - Man. Utd.

In contruary from the season before, i had some money to spend, and made it a busy transfer window. My goal was to get more firing power offensively while ensuring defensive stability. Nyatanga on a free was a no-brainer after last years fine performances. Kiernan still was not performing as i had hoped, but i kept him around (long term contract - low wages) as a back up. Securing Morrison from Stoke as a experienced replecement for the retiring Clarke. Right back was starting to be a worry for me, as Webara was not developing according to plan (allthough attracting interest from other championship clubs) . I got Feddersen, a young danish gen from City. High championship quality and can play RB, RM, DM and RW. Gazzinga was brought in as a direct replacement for Gordon which went on a free back to Scotland. This signing upset the fans as he came from an old rival. Goransson was a gen from Arsenal with unbeliveable technical stats. He was to play a DLP in my team. My old friend Mesca arrived on a free from Fulham, signing a 3 year contract on low wages. Ivan, another gen from United arrived togheter with El Hamadaoui as back-ups to Harris. After Butlers weak season i went for another left back. Securing the transferlisted Mattock on very expensive wages.. I tried getting Verhoek again on a free, but he opted NAC breda in his home country. I signed the very expensive Boutadjine only to see him get injured in mid september, playing only a partial role for me. Depay became my marquee signing, playing a very important role for me.

Transfers out:

Fredheim Holm - free

Calderon - free

Chaplin - free

Holmes - free

Gordon - free - Motherwell

Woodman - loan - stevanage

Ferry - 140k - Sheff Utd ( a bit to cheap)

Wellington Silva - 50k - Recrativo

Barcham - 205k - Sheff Wed

Daniels - 140k - Bournemouth

Clarke - Retired

All the free transfers came naturally as they were no longer contributing in a positive way. There was no need for contract renewals. Ferry had good potential but injuries wrecked his career at pompey. He is a very solid perfomer for Sheff Utd, both in League one and the Championship. Luckily i could flip Wellington Silva to Spain, requesting a very low transfer fee. He arrived on a free, so no harm done (except his hefty wages..) Barcham (one of my favorites) was shipped of to Sheff Wed following the signing of two new left wingers and Bournemouth gladly accapted Daniels back after a spell of mixed success at pompey..

My defensive record improved alot in my second season, with the pairing of Webster - Nyatanga developing further. Feddersen was a massive performer for me, letting almost NO goals from crosses on his side. Butler continued to struggle against quality opposition, the same (unfortunally) went for my other left back, Mattock. Left back seems to continue to hunt me.. Gazzinga had a good first season, and Porcari (now club captain) continued to impress. My new RW was a massive flop (allthough due to injuries) but Tarbuck stepped up again. On the LW, Depay proved a very valuable addition, providing mainly goals, but also some assists. Keeping Mesca as a back-up. Aneke and Wallace shared the burden as B2B, and due to injuries played as a pairing aswell, Aneke taking the DLP role (with great success). Offensive, i was back to my best!

I finished champion with 26W 6D and 14D in 46 games, scoring a league best 86 goals and conceding 56. A +30 goal difference which is the best in the league. Beating Reading AND Watford with 4 points. I could vary alot throughout the season, losing with 3 or 4 goals, only to win with the same amount next game. All over a very good season for me. Won the championship manager of the year (as i did in League one two years prior) and Championship player of the year? You guessed correct - Ashley Harris.

Best 11:

---------------------Gazzinga

Feddersen - Nyatanga - Webster - Butler/Mattock

-----------------------Porcari

------Gøransson/Aneke - Wallace/Aneke

Tarbuck ------------------------------- Depay

-----------------------Harris

In addition: Woods, Wabara, Mesca, El Hamdaoui/Ivan and Morrison made contributions to this campaign.

Key performers:

Harris 39 aps, 17 goals, 16 assists - 4th time running fans player of the year, championship player of the year.

Tarbuck 44 aps, 22 goals, 6 assists -What can i say? Amazing talent.

Nyatanga 44 aps, 10(!!), goals 1 assist - Commanding at the back, deadly on set-pieces.

Depay 34 aps, 16 goals, 5 assists - Deadly on free-kicks. Good finisher.

Wallace 41 aps, 3 goals, 11 assists - Back to his best! Reading and Cardiff with january bids.

This concludes my post until now. i got an exited transfer window infront of me, and i have already signed pre-contracts with:

Costil - goalkeeper from Rennes (relegated)

Depay - PSV

I will provide an update after this season! Hope this can be interesting reading and of any help to someone wanting to start a game with this magificant club!! If you need any clarification on tactics or anything else - feel free to ask! This thread was really helpfull for me, thanks Ty!! :)

@dement-o0: A brilliant summary of your first four seasons, with great detail on your players and transfers. Congratulations on the promotion and good luck for the next season.

Your management of Pompey is similar to mine so far. We both had immediate promotions from L2 and L1, but after a good start I am struggling and mid-table in season 3 of the Championship (still in the January transfer window). I'm at the stage of offering out some players for transfer, and have made two purchases so far this month to try and improve my defence for the remainder of season 3 (Joel Ward just re-signed for the club). I'll try and make some progress and update sometime soon.

@Jogo Bonito - Thank you! Glad you liked it. Regarding my two seasons in the championship i figure i would not afford going up to the premier league straight away anyway.. The club status reflects what players demand in wages and which players who would like to join you even though your in the BPL. If i were you i would build a solid financial fundament while in the Championship. I did, and it helped me alot when i got promoted. I got money to spend on wages aswell as transfers.

I though i would bring a short update of my transfer-window, as well as as the start of my season in the BPL (pretty exited!)

Transfers in:

Keane - 1,1mp - Leicester

Eikanger - 34k - Valerenga

Keko - 2,9mp - Celta

Castaneda - free - OGC Nice

Costil - free - Rennes

Depay - free - PSV

Mollo - 3,2mp - AS Saint-Etienne

Camacho - 1,2mp - AS Saint-Etienne

Ivan - loan - Manchester United

Görranson - loan - Arsenal

Feddersen - loan - Man.City

Theophile Catherine - 770k - Lyon

Giovinco 2,1mp - AC Milan

I still have some money to spend, my transferbudget estimated to around 12mp :) I sign Costil and Depay early (March - January), then quickly scooping for Castenda after his contract went out (did not want to sign for me at first). Camacho and Mollo where both no-brainers, especially Mollo being high BPL quality. Both arrived from newly relegated Saint-Etienne. My stomach twisted tho, after giving Mollo a whopping 30k a week :eek: , but hopefully he will be worth it. Eikanger is a young prospect who just received his first call up to the norwegian national team (September), currently on loan to Blackburn in the championship. A quick left winger with good physical stats. Keane arrived from newly relegated Leicester. I've tried signing him before only to find his wage-demand being way to high, i now signed him on 17k pr. week, which is not bad considering he was at 22k pr. week at Leicester. He still is a rough diamond, but hopefully with some playing time he can rediscover his potential.. Tarbuck declined my contract offers early in the yaer, but i figuered he would change his mind, but as he declined my proposition in june i quickly bought spanish winger Keko, transferlisted from Celta. Good BPL winger. Tarbuck ended up signing a extension at 15k pr week, a pretty huge step up from his 3k pr week (so now im stuck with two great RWs = luxury problem). I re-signed 3 loan players from last season (Gøransson, Ivan and Feddersen) all playing at BPL - level, and provides valuable depth to my squad.. Catherine and Giovinco (:D:D) where both signed the last days of the transferwindow. I needed a new RB (next to feddersen) but struggled attracting players with proven BPL quality. Catherin was expensive (wages-wise) but is still young (27) signing a four-year deal. My signing of the summer however, was Giovinco, transferlisted by Milan i beat Swansea to his signature. 35k pr weak + game and goal bonus (he was on 48k) he is a "world-class" F9 and a 1 choice striker in my team. I was planning on playing Harris there (and he will surely be getting lots of games) but when Giovinco became available i could simply not resist.....

Transfers out

Boutadjine - 2,2mp - LOSC Lille

Mesca - 2mp - Watford

Henderson - 550k - Blackburn

Osman - 300k - Nottm Forrest

Mattock - 800k - Fulham

Morrison - 1mp - Birmingham

+ a number of loans.

Boutadjine was transferlisted straight after the arrival of Keko. I accepted 4-5 bids, all from french clubs and he opted for Lyon if i subsidised some of his wages, which i declined. He signed for Lille in early July.

Mesca was a subject for a bid, and was unhappy with aquisition of Mollo & Depay. Very good price and easy decision. Sold to Watford (newly promoted aswell).

Henderson, Osman and Wabara was not needed anymore and the two first sold without problem to championship sides. Wabara however, i tried offering without fees, but no-one is willing to take him off my hands. He is on 9,7k a week, i would have liked to cut that from my wage bill, but he is not willing to go on loan and declines every possibility (a curse!!).

I was very happy with the sales of morrison and Mattock, both earning me a hefty profit! (Free lesson: Buy cheap, sell a bit more expensive.. )

I've started the season OK. Beating watford away 0-1 (Tarbuck) and drawing with Wigan (0-0) at home and beating M'boro in the captial one, but loosing away to Cardiff 4-2. All together i am very positive to winning the relagation battle this year and staying up! :)

Nice work dement, some useful players coming in there and you made good money from your sales too. Hopefully you will achieve survival, it's a solid start you made.

I'm definitely looking to maintain status in the Championship, and see what season 4 might bring. I've just reached February 2016, bringing in Tomislav Barbaric, Joel Ward, and Lucas Veronese (reserve keeper). I'm also planning to name a team made up almost entirely of the original players (including original U21 and U18 prospects) before the end of this season.

Season 3 is now finished, we ended up 16th - my lowest position of the season. I was well clear of relegation (more than 10 points upon completion) so took the opportunity to field alot of the youngsters in the latter stages. My more defensive tactics helped reduce the goals against, but we also started to score less (final GD of -15). The youngsters have had good playing experience though - e.g. in the 43rd game (against 3rd-placed Crystal Palace), I fielded the following team:

GK: Aaron McCarey (24), free transfer from Wolves

DR: Joel Ward (26), re-signed Pompey player

DCR: Jack Whatmough (20)

DCL: Aaron Martin (26), free transfer from Southampton

DL: Dan Butler (21)

MR: Bradley Tarbuck (20)

MCR: Jed Wallace (22)

MCL: Fahad Rwakarambwe (19)

ML: Jack Maloney (21)

ST: Ashley Harris (22)

ST: Conor Chaplin (19)

Subs: Brandon Haunstrup (19), Anthony O'Connor (23, free transfer from Blackburn), Isak Ssewankambo (20, free transfer from Chelsea), Simon Ferry (28), Romain Padovani (26), Joshua Murphy (21, on loan from Norwich), Yakubu (33, re-signed Pompey player). Adam Webster was away on loan at Bradford and unable to be selected.

Ahead of season 4, my squad has been trimmed on purpose, with plenty of departures already. Those leaving are mainly the loanees and elder players (including Yakubu) so the youngsters will be more important than ever this coming year. I've also brought back Jason Pearce on a free transfer, but ignored the opportunity to do the same with Matt Ritchie and Niko Kranjcar.

I've finished season 3 and spending an extra season in League One has helped me in some ways as I've been able to give more football to younger players. I've managed to fine tune my tactics and get players that fit their roles perfectly. We were the strongest team in the league and won the league easily. I'm hoping that with a couple of additions we will be a force in the Championship next season.

Ashley Harris was excellent again, scoring 24 league goals including 4 in the 5-1 win at Preston that secured promotion. Other top performers were Wallace, Osman and Routis.

Webster, Harris, Wallace, Butler and Rwakarambwe are still developing well. I would recommend giving Rwakarambwe a few games as he does become a good player. He has excellent physical attributes and he is already a "leading Championship" player at 19. Also my goalkeeper Siegrist is "good Premier League" level! I'm amazed that no clubs have tried to buy him.

Great result their PlayUp - just about to enter Championship myself. Stopped league two and finished with a record 103 points. Half way through the season we brought in Lee Barnard who proved to be a fantastic acquisition - 22 goals in 24 games. League One started off slow - our 442 tactic just wasn't working out so we switched to a 4-2-3-1 and we didn't look back. Finished on 90 points 8 ahead of our nearest challengers. Again it was Lee Barnard doing most of the damage - he finished up with about 42 goals for the season. Ashley Harris was also a brilliant performer - he's playing in that number 10 role behind Barnard and chipped in with a respectable 16 goals as well as 30+ assists.

Going into the new season i'm concerned i'm not able to attract the players i'm after - probably going to leave all my shopping until last minute.

Will keep you posted.

I am still playing my Pompey save, 2021 nearing the end of the season. Still in Champions League semi-final with a 2-0 win against City first leg.

With very little chance of me finishing top 4 (very tight and I am 6th) :( really my only hope of Champs League football is winning it, already knocked out Madrid.

So I have finished 5th, on the last game overtaking Everton. Not good enough to qualify for Champions League, but after beating City 4-2 in the away leg (6-2 on aggregate)... I am in the final of the Champions League against Monaco :D Could harshly take Chelsea's place.

24eeb4caa3d12a70a733b2da86406f2a.png

Greetings from the South Coast folks - quick update on my Pompey save. Into the Championship we are now and the only thing that is consistent is our inconsistency. Currently sitting about 8th in the league which is very good but this is built on smash and grab wins wins and poor draws particularly at home. A large part of this is down to the players i've brought in - overall i think i have recruited rather badly picking up a number of free transfers and loans which don't seem to be offering much. Another big problem is my failure to pin down a formation that best suits my team. The 4-2-3-1 formation which destroyed league one has simply not worked in season three and i've been forced to go back to the drawing board. Has anyone else had problems like this? How are people setting there teams up?

I'm reluctant to stray too far from this due to the investments i've made on players coming in but sometimes you have to tear it up and start again!

@ nick: My first season in the Championship was terrible too (16th). My season 4 formation changed alot, and is much more solid. I use three central defenders, two wing back's, three central midfield (support on either side of defend), a shadow striker, and a false nine. I play rigid and counter, with just tighter marking, retain possession and work ball in to box.

I had him K3ZZ4 as a Treq playing just behind the striker and he did very well for me. Initially i had him there as an attacking playmaker and he got me shed loads of assist but no goals. After changing him to Treq he was on fire and managed about 12 in last 15 games.

Cheers Jogo - had a play with the formation myself making some minor tweaks and they seem to be paying off. I think we've managed 7 points from 12 and somehow clawed our way back into playoff - just beat ShefWed away 3-2 and looking a lot more comfortable.

I had him K3ZZ4 as a Treq playing just behind the striker and he did very well for me. Initially i had him there as an attacking playmaker and he got me shed loads of assist but no goals. After changing him to Treq he was on fire and managed about 12 in last 15 games.

Cheers Jogo - had a play with the formation myself making some minor tweaks and they seem to be paying off. I think we've managed 7 points from 12 and somehow clawed our way back into playoff - just beat ShefWed away 3-2 and looking a lot more comfortable.

thanks for the reply. Will start a save tonight and we'll see how well he plays on the Treq spot with no strikers :)

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings folks - how's everyone getting on at the south coast? My save has absolutely gone to pot! After a successful season in the championship in which we finished 9th 1 point out of playoffs. I was given a transfer budget of £3m to strengthen - given my finances were largely based on what someone would find behind the back of the sofa, i was thrilled with my pot and decided to strengthen accordingly. Started off well with a couple of wins and then i made the fatal mistake of upgrading to the new patch. 13 games later i have not managed to win a single mother-trucking game and 22nd in the league. I've tried every tactic under the sun and still my side couldn't hit a donkey's ar*e from two yards - i'm not sure what SI have done but it has managed to suck every ounce of enjoyment out of the game. I'm going to keep at it for a bit but from what i'm reading lots of saves are failing apart, left, right and centre due to this patch. Anyone else experience problems?

From League Two to the Premier League in three seasons but I fear for this season, just not got the funds to really compete; Bought Butler back from Crewe after selling him in League One to raise funds. Nimely has been a class act up front for two seasons along with Ferry and Jed Wallace in midfield and Dummett at the back. In goal I've had Fornezzi, he's capable but not spectacular. Mesca has performed in the lower leagues but might be a step to far for him. I need a warrior at the back as well as a leader in midfield. Any suggestions. Started off with three draws in the PL including Southampton at home

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my first season in the Championship would be difficult and that I would do well to get a mid table finish. In reality we ran away with the league title! We were top for almost the whole season and went 22 games unbeaten at one stage!

table_zps000f3cb0.png

I didn't make too many signings, the only main changes to the starting line-up were two attacking midfielders; Steven Berghuis and Andrea Russotto, who were excellent providing goals and assists. Wallace, Butler and Rwakarambwe are all performing consistently well.

stats_zps8a743e55.png

But my star player by far was Ashley Harris, he's a goal machine! If he can keep op this kind of scoring rate in the Premier League he could end up becoming our record scorer!

harris_zps6e4acb30.png

history_zps0f5e3fd2.png

Looking good PUP! Quality goalscoring record with Harris.

Sadly he didn't get much more game time for me and was mainly used as a substitute :( getting 30 minutes a game.

4e98dce97b81f46e3760014ef733c811.png

@PUP

in what role did you let hem play?? he really hammered the Championship !!

going to start a Pompey save this evening.. Did you all had troubles signing Green en Kiernan?? seems like every save i start, i just cant loan them in :(

Hey guys, I've recently started a new save. Having a bit of an issue on the keeper front atm. In a previous save i managed to get in Sam Johnstone from United and he performed amazingly but seems im out of reach of him atm.

Keeper crisis atm... Bradley is a kid i snapped up as hes just left Chelsea. Better shot stopping stats than Dean Santangelo so far.

Lackofqualitykeepers_zpsefdf0587.png

Transfers so far

TransferssofarPFC2013-14_zps5b40da44.png

Fixtures so far

FixturessofaruptoEndofAugust2013_zpsbe3b8927.png

It wasn't the greatest start i had imagined, but there you go. Bristol City game was incredible they won 22-21 on pens. :)

Squadstatssofar_zpsc15554b5.png

Ryan Taylor was in cracking form untill he got injured ;( So at the moment I've got a choice between going with Jake Jervis or go for a False 9 option and go for an AM player.

Went back to my old Pompey save after struggling to get into any other games. In 6th season, 2nd season in PL. Currently about 10 points above safety with 12 games to go. Still finding it difficult to bring in players. Most Champioship teams have better players than me but they have no intention of moving to me

Archived