FM14: Portsmouth F.C. - We've Slipped Down A League Two Many!

Ty

Im in October second season now. Won the League 2 with 104 points. Top performers were Matt Derbyshire with 23 goals, Angelo Balanta and Danny Green both got 15+ assists.

Second season I managed to sign Ross Jenkins, Rob Keirnan and Danny Green on free transfers. Got Tony Watt, Samid Yesil on loan. Sold John Sullivan to Liverpool for £20k, Romain Padovani for £90k loads on players left on a free.

Currently top of League One, 6 points clear.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After what has been a mixed season, spending a lot of time around 6/7th... naming hardly and substitutes, it has ended quite well!

74ed479ecb8bcd4fc87939588c870aa1.png

EDIT: Thought I'd finished 4th, but there is a game left, current table looks like this...

2a69b2e1866a6a757d2396ba02702c97.png

2017/18 Season.

Another solid season. Very impressed with my very small squad!

Competitions

- Premiership we finished 4th, with 12 losses. I was aiming for Europa League half way through the season, so to come away with 4th is brilliant. Man United...

- Champions League semi-finals. Crashed out to Chelsea 7-3 on aggregate. Very good run and some great results.

- FA Cup Winners - 2-1 in the final against Arsenal. Set the record for goals scored in the competition.

- Capital One Cup 3rd round, lost to Liverpool. No big deal.

Players

- Ashley Harris had a fantastic season, scoring 17 and assisting 20 goals in the Premier League. 27 goals and 30 assists in all competitions. Named in the Team of the Year, Football Writers Footballer of the Year winner and also named in the 2018 squad, so hopefully can do something for England in the summer.

- Jeroen Lumu still on loan from PSV, third year running. Would love to make him permanent. Covers both wings and played upfront for a spell as well. Had a very solid season, my second top scorer.

- Memphis Depay had a fantastic debut season at the club, after his £7.5m transfer. Winning the Young Player of the Year award.

Transfers

- Total of £52.5m spent, half of which was blown on one player.

- £18m received, £9.25m for Goldaniga (he was unsettled), £5.75m for Watt and £3.5m for Kolasinac.

- Weliander, the new boy from Brazil was being chased by all the big boys. Offered him the maximum wage I could and so far hasn't delivered. My wingers score a lot of goals and with his attributes, I was expecting big things. He joined in January and hasn't had time to settle... hopefully he becomes big next season!

- Belhanda and Dybala, both joining at the start of the summer on a free.

What's Next?

- Need to fill the squad. Too many players were jaded and in dire need of a rest. Harris, Webster and Wallace all struggled playing every game... and had to give them the odd rest. I need 2 more strikers, a couple of central midfielders and at least 2 centre backs. A goalkeeper would be nice, but that is a luxury if I have budget left over.

- Try and get some youth players (regens), preferably English, to put in the reserves. The ones we are producing are terrible quality and for 3 years running, we haven't entered the reserve league due to lack of players.

- Hire some better coaches, I have 4.5* coaches for attacking, tactics and shooting but the fitness coaches and goalkeepers are slacking. Defending and ball control are 4* and could possibly be improved upon.

Welcome Rick, good to see another Pompey boss in here. Good first season and very impressive second one for you.

Ty, your success continues - I hope the interest remains and good luck for the next season.

I haven't progressed more than a week beyond the end of season 1, but in my head I am formulating ideas for pre-season ahead of the League 1 campaign.

It's really frustrating that I can't attract any players due to wage restrictions :(

Had a bid accepted for Leon Goretzka, but I offered £52k (my max.) and it instantly went read for being too far apart! I have £20m to bring in at least 6 quality players, going to be hard...

I just got promoted from League Two first season and am unsure if I have assembled a good enough side for League One:

GK: Wilko de Vogt

DR: Stephen Darby

DC: Reuben Hazell

DC: Bondz N'Gala

DL: Marcos Painter

BWM (Dm) Neal Bishop

MR: Danny Green

ML: Hameour Bouazza

AMC: Harry Kewell/Jamie Ness

F9: Ashley Harris

TM: Agyemang/Bird

Harris, Agyemang & Bird all got 20 goals or more last season

New challenges for you Ty and good luck with those new players, it will be interesting to see how your squad shapes up ahead of the new season.

Congrats bentley. Interesting to see you retained N'Gala and Painter, who were both released by me when their short-term contracts expired in season 1. Also to see that you used Bird alot, he didn't step on the pitch for me and was even loaned out. I'm not a fan of older players like Kewell so have no idea how that will work out. Ness is an old favourite of mine from the last three versions of FM and never let me down at any level. It looks like you're playing a 442 diamond, is that solid enough defensively? I guess the first few weeks of the season will reveal if the side is strong enough - and the standard of your cover players will play a part in how you do. What was your transfer budget for season 2 and how much have you spent, if anything, so far?

I just got promoted from League Two first season and am unsure if I have assembled a good enough side for League One:

GK: Wilko de Vogt

DR: Stephen Darby

DC: Reuben Hazell

DC: Bondz N'Gala

BWM (Dm) Neal Bishop

ML: Hameour Bouazza

AMC: Harry Kewell/Jamie Ness

F9: Ashley Harris

TM: Agyemang/Bird

Harris, Agyemang & Bird all got 20 goals or more last season

It'll be tough, hopefully you do well. Quite impressed Bird got 20 goals or more :D Good going from you!

New challenges for you Ty and good luck with those new players, it will be interesting to see how your squad shapes up ahead of the new season.

I am having a little break at the moment, I keep playing one season with Pompey and then playing another save for a couple days. I can't see anything good happening though :( everyone is too expensive.

Has he managed to get into the England squad yet?

He has 3 caps and 1 goal, he was 1 goal 1 cap. He has just been announced in the World Cup 2018 squad though :)

Excellent on Harris, he will definitely take more of a leading role for me next season as showed lots of good signs despite being rotated quite a bit. His number of assists exceeded his goals for me, but it's clear to see he can be a major asset as he is performing well for every one of us.

Congrats bentley. Interesting to see you retained N'Gala and Painter, who were both released by me when their short-term contracts expired in season 1. Also to see that you used Bird alot, he didn't step on the pitch for me and was even loaned out. I'm not a fan of older players like Kewell so have no idea how that will work out. Ness is an old favourite of mine from the last three versions of FM and never let me down at any level. It looks like you're playing a 442 diamond, is that solid enough defensively? I guess the first few weeks of the season will reveal if the side is strong enough - and the standard of your cover players will play a part in how you do. What was your transfer budget for season 2 and how much have you spent, if anything, so far?

Scored 90 and conceded 50 in league two, conceding joint lowest amount. Kewell got 5 goals and 5 assists in 15 games. Had transfer budget of about 250k having sold Simon Ferry for about 300k+. Also sold Wallace in first season for good money to Palace but have used loaning back, perfect world! got 15k free left of the wage budget

Scored 90 and conceded 50 in league two, conceding joint lowest amount. Kewell got 5 goals and 5 assists in 15 games. Had transfer budget of about 250k having sold Simon Ferry for about 300k+. Also sold Wallace in first season for good money to Palace but have used loaning back, perfect world! got 15k free left of the wage budget

Thanks, you scored more than me IIRC, but I think I conceded less. Decent return from Kewell by the looks of it. Surprised you sold Ferry and Wallace, but interesting to see different approaches between us (and all of them successful). So far I only sold Smith and Devera - although N'Gala, Painter and Cooper were released. I think a couple more will be let go this summer (not needed in the squad) as the search for improvements continues.

My new £10m signing, absolute bargain. Wasn't even transfer listed! I offered £8m upfront, and they negotiated to £3m upfront and £7m over 48 months.

74aa00dc046f696ffc02943ea5ce45c9.png

I've started my Pompey save for this year, five games in and I'm top of the league with 13 points and no goals conceded! Pretty much the opposite to how things are going in real life!

I've only made three signings: Adriano Basso in goal, Francois Zoko to play on the wing or up front and Toine van Huizen on loan to play at right back.

Unfortunately I'm also having a bit of an injury crisis with Bradley, N'gala, Painter, Cooper, Zoko, Connolly and Agyemang all out. However, it's meant that I've been able to play some of the younger players like Butler, Wallace, Harris and Rwakarambwe.

Welcome PUP. That's a great start made, good luck with the season. The young guns (including Webster) should all perform well for you. As a fan, I'm sure you know the squad better than me, but I'm just in to season 2 and have been trying to reduce the age of the squad with loanees and free transfers (so far, after three windows, not a penny spent in actual transfer fees).

Ty

Are you still using the same tactic from the first post?

Not at the moment, I ditched the CDM for another striker, it worked towards the end of last season but not going great defensively this season.. after a 4-4 draw with Galatasary in the Champions League proved.

Zouma is a fantastic signing Ty, he was a rock for me on FM13 at PSG and should be superb for Pompey!

He get an 8.2 and MOTM on his debut in the Charity Shield :D I made him captain due to his leadership (my squad doesn't have a leader at all) and every moaned :(

Ill do some screens of my save next week. 30 seasons in now

I look forward to it!

I've started my Pompey save for this year, five games in and I'm top of the league with 13 points and no goals conceded! Pretty much the opposite to how things are going in real life!

I've only made three signings: Adriano Basso in goal, Francois Zoko to play on the wing or up front and Toine van Huizen on loan to play at right back.

Unfortunately I'm also having a bit of an injury crisis with Bradley, N'gala, Painter, Cooper, Zoko, Connolly and Agyemang all out. However, it's meant that I've been able to play some of the younger players like Butler, Wallace, Harris and Rwakarambwe.

Glad to see you have got started :thup: Good luck.

Rwakarambwe moved from Newcastle to Arsenal on mine for £15m (he really doesn't look like a £15m player)... and netted me £3.5m in a sell on clause :D Jackpot.

Just got promoted from League One second season. A ridiculous season, finishing second scoring 109 conceding 69.

Key Performers:

Stipe Perica- striker on loan from Chelsea-42 games 28 goals

Ashley Harris- 40 games 17 goals 11 assists

Harry Kewell-37 games 11 goals 8 assists

Danny Green 46 games 9 goals 30 assists

Titus Bramble- 30 games 5 goals Avg rating 7.08

Nice work bentley2011, and an entertaining team to watch with all those goals flying in at both ends!

Perica is an excellent talent IRL and I nearly signed him on loan at Pompey in the first season (should have done, because he is Croatian) but took Woodrow from Fulham instead. I've just started season 2, and took Woodrow back again. He is one of my four strikers (Patrick N'Koyi, Dan Holman and Harris being the others). I wanted to bring Green back permanently but his wage demands were way over my limit - so I have Ryan Colclough on the right and Joshua Murphy on the left (both loanees).

Good luck with season 3.

Ty, that's not a bad start for Zouma, hopefully the squad will come around to his captaincy soon enough. And yes, that's a nice bonus there on the sell-on clause!

Well I think I can post here now.

I am into October in my 2nd season of my planned career game starting with Pompey. And as an added bonus to make my term harder, I have been only playing it on the Beta game. This means I have to work with countless bugs and match Engine fluctuations that you guys won't have been seeing.

I am at work at the moment so this will only be a brief recap of what I can remember from memory and will post screenies tomorrow(be out getting drunk tonight :brock: )

Season 1 - League 2

I win the league on the last match of the season where I had always been in or around the top from about October(poor start as I got players used to tactic). I needed to win and Fleetwood had to draw or lose for me to take the title and it worked out that way. I also reached the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup and was quite unlucky to lose to QPR in that match too.

I had been using Mr Uwe Roslers Fulcrum tactic also, so not one of my own, which is only really good when you have the right players to fit it.

Transfers I do recall were Iain Turner brought in on a free for the GK spot and as soon as he was in he stayed there all season. Phil Smith was gone quickly. I got Junior N'Tame for the CB roll to challenge Bradley and N'Gala and he ended up being first choice and they battled for the other spot. I got lucky by getting Arsenal as a Parent club and got Simeone and Eisfeld on loans from them and they were quite sensational in League 2. I managed to sign Cillian Sheridan on loan from APOEL in the January window and he did so well I signed him permanently on a free in June. The board actually gave me a small amount of transfer funds when asked so I signed Dani Lopez from Stevenage(i think) and Alan Navarro from Swindon for a combined total of £20k. Towards the end of the season I managed to pick up Javier Chevanton on a free after he had been released by QPR.

Season 2 - League 1:

At the moment I am top of the league but only just as it is tight as well as only 4 points separate me at the top from 15th. I am out of the JPT and CC early doors.

Transfer wise, the board gave me more money to spend but I moved it to wages so I could get in decent players on frees. I got Dan Gosling from Newcastle after they released him. As there is a bug with scouting ranges not being increased(how is that working with you Ty?), I manually searched through many top European teams at their released players and picked up a load of frees to bolster my squad and brought in another young ST from Liverpool on loan called Hodzic who is phenomenal.

I did sell a few players to get some money in so bought John Fleck from Coventry as he was falling out with their manager.

My current squad(from memory)

GK Mejias - free

DL Drummett - free after release from Newcastle

CB N'Tame - Free

CB Zat Knight - Free

DR Devara

DMC Navarro - £15K Swindon

MCL Padovani

MC Fleck -£300k Coventry

MCR Wallace

SCL Sheridan/Chevanton

SCR Hodzic

At the moment I am top of the league but only just as it is tight as well as only 4 points separate me at the top from 15th.

That is incredibly tight :D

Transfer wise, the board gave me more money to spend but I moved it to wages so I could get in decent players on frees. I got Dan Gosling from Newcastle after they released him. As there is a bug with scouting ranges not being increased(how is that working with you Ty?), I manually searched through many top European teams at their released players and picked up a load of frees to bolster my squad and brought in another young ST from Liverpool on loan called Hodzic who is phenomenal.

I usually manually look for players if my scouts haven't found any good regens themselves. I have one scout who every month shows me 3 Celtic players without fail, the same 3 players. So annoying :D

I don't think I have limitations on any scouting anymore though, I can scout the whole world.

Doing well pompeyboyz! You're second season is going much better than mine so far (start of October, 14th) so good luck with that.

I had an agreement to sign N'Tame last season but cancelled it - nice to see he has done well for you. I tried to get Dummett in the summer but he moved to Millwall instead. I like the transfers of Fleck (great set-piece ability IIRC) and Hodzic, a promising youngster.

Ty, so that's Butler and Harris. Will Wallace and Webster be next?

Webster has fallen back to squad player now, with Zouma and Keane the starters :( There is always hope for Wallace, but I feel there are a lot better CM's.

After 8 clean sheets in a row I've finally conceded my first goal; a silly penalty against York. We're top of the league and unbeaten with 23 points.

Ashley Harris has been my best player so far, keeping Connolly and Agyemang out of the team. Ertl and Devera have made a great defensive partnership. Ferry and Padovani have made a great central midfield pairing, but Ferry is now injured for four weeks.

Hi all,

Started a game with Pompey a couple of months ago so but only seeing that there is a club thread now (good job Ty btw!).

Just a quick update of my game so far.

2013/14: Won League 2 on goal difference

2014/15: Got promoted to Championship via playoffs

2015/16: Finished 20th in Championship

2016/17: Got promoted to PL via payoffs

2017/18: Finished 17th in Premier League.

I survived relegation from PL on goal difference. Southampton were relegated this season. Tried to post a screenie but Toshiba and /or Windows 8 have made this task imposible for me.

I've spent a total of £2M since i started and recouped £1.9M so I am happy with my financially control.

Notable squad members are:

GK: Beunardeau, Burge

RB: J. Ward, Nicholson

CB: Webster, Benedetti, Whatmough, Bradley

LB: Butler, Jordan Thompson

CM: Wallace, Conor Henderson, Bigirimana, Padovani, Rothwell, Fellah

RW: Colclough

LW: Josh Murphy, Lallana (got of a free during injury crisis, say nothing!)

ST: Adam Morgan, Harris, Anichebe, Ikpeazu

I'll be hoping to strenghten in the off season as the squad is still the Championship squad

Tried to post a screenie but Toshiba and /or Windows 8 have made this task imposible for me.

You could use the in-game screenshot (under the same tab you click to save the game), or you could put the game into windowed mode (presume this is the same as Windows 7).

--

Good job on getting to the Prem and surviving! Nice to see you have Ward back :cool:

Webster, Butler, Wallace and Harris :thup: ... Let's not talk about Lallana!!

Sheer, when was you finally able to attract good players with a decent wage. I mean, there is some interest from players (I am in my second season in the Champions League), but I can only offer £45k a week max.

I wont be getting Champions League next season, 19/20, but even being able to offer £60k a week would help me sign so many 'next step' players. 2018/19 has been an inconsistent disaster :(

I was limited to £70-80k per week when I was still at a 36k Fratton Park. The purse strings only really been loosened since moving to a new stadium but is too small at 65k already. My advice would be to top yourself at £100k pw max, as its still very easy to get out of control even with the additional champions league income.

Im at a stage now where I dont have to buy a player for 2-3 seasons really

Just as it looked like I was going to run away with the title I lose four in a row. I changed my tactics and started winning again but now I've got to January and we are very inconsistent. We lost 5-3 against Dagenham & Redbridge despite dominating. We are still top of the league on goal difference though.

I was limited to £70-80k per week when I was still at a 36k Fratton Park. The purse strings only really been loosened since moving to a new stadium but is too small at 65k already. My advice would be to top yourself at £100k pw max, as its still very easy to get out of control even with the additional champions league income.

Im at a stage now where I dont have to buy a player for 2-3 seasons really

Even £80k would be plenty for me, I tend to only really sign youngsters... so they don't really ask for a lot. Just getting a few of the youngsters from bigger clubs just want that extra bit of cash that I can't give at the moment.

In the end I scraped 7th place on the last day, so I have Europa League for the 19/20 season. In the summer at the moment looking for bargains, squad needs strengthening so bad :(

@PUP, the game is trying to bring more realism to it! Keep it going and good luck, I'm sure you can get some consistent form back again and maintain top spot.

@bentley, I haven't used Whatmough but that's encouraging news as I have promoted alot of the U18 eligibles (including him) in to my U21 squad during season 2. Jack and his colleagues have just lost their first U21 match of the season, on 31st December 2014, having drawn a couple and won all the others - mostly by some margin. I'm quite impressed with the current U21's (Whatmough, Haunstrup, Rwakarambwe, Maloney, Tarbuck and Chaplin in particular - plus the one youth that I took on, a striker called Gareth Frith). Hopefully one or two of them will catch up with first team regulars Butler, Webster, Wallace and Harris in due course.

@trevomac, good to see another Pompey manager, and also I like the young squad you have assembled. There don't seem to be any 'major' stars there (except for Lallana) and yet you are in the PL and survived - good job! Ironically, I have both Murphy and Colclough on loan in my 2nd season (Murphy I had at the end of season 1 too).

@Ty and Sheer Class, you guys are so many years and levels above me, I can only watch and observe. Sorry I can't add any useful comments to your career updates :o

I will update my own attempt soon, as we are just about to enter the January 2015 transfer window. After a slow start (18th at one stage) we are now just inside the top six. Huddersfield are streets ahead of us at the summit, with Stevenage a bit behind them. There's virtually no chance of automatic promotion, but we will fight for that play-off spot and see where we end up.

Just finished my second season.Won League 1 with 99 points,should have been much more, 1 win in my last 4 games. Ended up 15 or so points clear from 2nd.

Top scorer was Tony Watt with 23 league goals, again should have been so much more but he only scored 1 goal in 2015!!

Won the JPT with a 2-1 win over Oldham

I lost about a months business during the summer, due to a crash (I think I posted in the OTF thread actually)... and lost so much motivation :(

Just achieved third straight promotion. Pompey back in the big time!

GK: Stephen Henderson

DR: John Flanagan

DC: Jack Whatmough

DC: Matt Mills

BWM (dm): Nengomasha

ML: Anass Achabar

AMC/MC: Stephen Ireland

F9: Robbie Keane/Ashley Harris

TM: Stipe Perica/Gary Madine

Improvement needed a lot for Prem?