Avoiding The Sticky Patches: The Search For A Happy Ending!

AK22

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The lights go out. Darkness descends. An eerie chill fills the room.

The shadow of a figure appears in the distance. It's getting closer. "Who's that?", they mumble. "No, it can't be him, can it?"

"Yes! Yes! It is! He's back!"

Yes, I am back! My life has completely changed (mainly for the good) over the past couple of months, though, with that, my online activity has considerably dropped :(

I've also played very little FM, which is frustrating, but have just enough to post an update (which will follow shortly). I also have two months of threads to catch up on, which may take some time - thankfully, I have a week's leave, although that may still not be enough time!

Anyway, how is everyone? The World Cup was a bit good, wasn't it :D

If you don't do well, you'll get the Spanish inquisition.

I'd probably quite enjoy that! :D

Pep Costa may not be the finished article, but he soon will be. Determination at 20, together with good all round stats, he will soon be a beast.

Totally agree, Daz. At 22, he's plenty of time to improve further.

Good luck at Spain AK22! :D
Well done on the Serie A title AK :thup:. Progressing nicely.
Congrats on the Serie A title and best of luck with Spain (not that you'll need it with that group!)

Thanks all :thup:

International management should add another string to my bow, although qualifying should be fairly routine, and will need to wait until the next major tournament to test my mettle.

A quick reminder of where we are in this career:

I'm into my ninth season with Cosenza, looking to defend our Serie A trophy. I've also just taken on the management of the Spanish national team, as a side project, looking to qualify for the 2030 World Cup (being hosted in Italy).

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - December 2028 Update

GuA9APd.png?1

It's been a fairly solid start to the season, although it's glaringly apparent that we're not playing as fluently as last year, with games often becoming scrappy affairs as we search for a deciding goal. There's also been far too many 0-0's for my liking, with three of the four happening on our own turf, again proving how difficult we are finding it to break teams down at crucial times. Still, defensively, we've been as robust as ever, despite shipping three against Atalanta; I'm willing to give the defenders the benefit of the doubt that it was a bad day at the office.

We were still seeded third for the Champions League, meaning another tough draw. That said, we comfortably dispatched second seeds, Sevilla, in both games, and were convincing enough against Wisla too. However, the games against Man City showed that we still need to improve further if we're to break into the pack of elite European sides, as they bossed both games and we struggled to make any real impression. Still, we've qualified for the knockout stages, which was my aim, and have Spartak Moscow in the next round; that could have been a lot worse!

hsrYw8h.png?1

gZb1Osp.png?1

Lazio finished twelfth last season, so their excellent start has been completely unexpected! Whether they are the real deal is yet to be seen, but they've certainly made an impact and are certainly in the mix for a finish in the pound seats; the fact they aren't playing European football is certainly going to work in their favour too. It's an interesting looking Serie A table, as, in addition to Lazio, we've got teams such as Bari, Udinese and Palermo outperforming the powerhouses of Milan, Roma, Juventus and Fiorentina - expect them to come on stronger as the season unravels.

CrQ6wsU.png?1

Always nice for a right-back to win goal of the month!

QiWkQYe.png

Spain - December 2028 Update

1JvW1F2.png?1

Results wise, it's been as expected, with five wins out of five, although performances have been less than convincing, likely to be due to the players getting used to the new system I've implemented (4-2DM-3-1). In fact, it was the late-late show against Denmark, with a draw looking likely before two quick goals in the dying minutes. The Danes have a right to be aggrieved, having taken the lead, and looking good for a point.

dfvlikf.png?1

Again, the table is looking how many would have anticipated at this stage. Arguably, we've still got our trickiest fixture to come, away to Denmark, where points may be dropped, but I still would expect us to qualify with ease.

8F6fSAe.png?1

That's quite some record! France were the last team to beat us in a WC qualifier - 16 years ago!

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - March 2029 Update

kra4A2v.png?1

The winter's been a rocky few months, with several ups and downs along the way. On the positive side, we've one foot into the Quarter Final of the Champions League, providing we don't let our three goal advantage slip in the second leg of our tie against Spartak Moscow; they posed very little in the first leg, but we'll still need to be wary of a comeback when we travel to Russia next month. Additionally, we've navigated our way successfully into the final of the Coppa Italia, for the second time in three seasons, where we will face Fiorentina again (the side we beat last time we reached the final).

Despite the positives, there's some major concerns over our domestic league form, where we've lost three of our last five, including an embarrassing home defeat to mid-table Catania; we're dropping far too many points at the moment, and now have serious doubts if we'll get back in the hunt for the championship.

G3gRNS7.png?1

So, it appears Lazio are the 'real deal', and are in a commanding position at the top of the table with ten games to play. It's going to take something pretty special if we're to get back into contention, something that would probably involve us winning all of our remaining games; given our form this season, it's extremely unlikely, and we'll do well to get back above Juventus into second place.

NutgHLU.png?1

pYIAlTm.png?1

hod8jAG.png?1

I didn't really want to sell Bernard, with him being our topscorer last season; however, Chelsea came in with a decent bid, which unsettled him, and he demanded a transfer. Rather than having a disgruntled player in the squad, I negotiated the fee up, before Inter Milan came in and gazumped the team from London. It's a risk selling him to a rival in the same division, however, I'm happy with the price that was agreed (even better when considering I signed him on a free), so I'm willing to take that gamble. Gennadiy Palyukh was signed as a replacement, although he'll be unavailable for the Champions League games, so will likely rotate with the rest of the squad until the end of the season when things will be reassessed.

Gl70DGf.png?1

Another milestone hit.

Hmm. Long run unbeaten? Watch out for England winning 5-1 at yours. ;)

I have no plans to play the mighty England at the moment :D

Glad to see you back doing this :thup: Decent start in the league so far and a brilliant record for Spain

Thanks - it's good to be back :thup:

Not exactly a lot of competition for Spain though ;)

Not yet, although Denmark away may prove our biggest test so far. After that, we'll probably need to wait until the World Cup to find out how good we really are.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - May 2029 Update

oivrVnX.png?1

On paper, we certainly had the easier run-ins of the three teams in contention for the Serie A title. That said, we still had to do the business, and, considering our earlier form, and our points deficit, couldn't take anything for granted; we also had to rely on Lazio slipping up more than once. And slip up they did! After leading the way for so long, they started to fall to bits, going four games without a win, and allowing both us and Juventus right back into the race. In contrast, we had hit top gear, just when we needed to, putting together a destructive run of eight wins out of ten; the true Cosenza finally announced itself in time to defend the Serie A title, winning it with a game to spare too!

Unfortunately, though, we couldn't replicate our domestic form in the Champions League Quarter Final against Manchester United. Spirits were high after the first leg, where, despite having our backs against the wall for several moments of the games, we came away with an unlikely 0-0, and an excellent chance of progressing to the final four. However, it was clear that when push came to shove, Utd had much more big game experience than us, allowing us to control possession, but being deadly on the break; they were deserved victors in the end. It's frustrating not to have scored, though.

GQCSA0U.png?1

As unlikely as it seemed a few weeks ago, we ended up winning the title by a relatively comfortable four points. 79 is a low final total, though, and often wouldn't be enough to lift the trophy; last season, this would have only guaranteed third place.

AHVlzeh.png?1

c9a5uxY.png?1

I wouldn't technically call it 'the double', as we ended up losing our Coppa Italia final on penalties. However, we did win the Supercoppa earlier in the season, and that counts... apparently.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - End of Season Review 2028/29

Against the odds, we did it, and retained the Serie A title. There's some work to do, though, as we only won 10 of our home games this season, and need to make San Vito more of a fortress. Compare this to Juventus, who won 16 at home, only conceding once (against Torino), and there's definite room for improvement. On the other hand, our form on the road has been exceptional, with 13 victories; the best in the division by a country mile.

Serie A TIM: 1st

TIM Cup: Runner-Up

UEFA Champions League: Quarter Final

Average Attendance: 32771 (down 159)

Transfer History | Finances

hYBQeuK.png?1

Over the past year or so, I've started to break the squad up, with several key players being moved on. I feel this is the main reason for us being less consistent than expected this season, as the squad hasn't been particularly settled. This is likely to continue further over the course of the summer, as some major clubs are sniffing around our players, and I'm always likely to sell if we get £30m+ for a player; every player has their price, after all. One player that I would be reluctant to depart with is Luis Martínez, who once again has had another excellent season; with 16 goals and 16 assists, he's now very much the focal point of the team.

Top Goalscorer: Rosario Esposito (20 goals)

Most Assists: Luis Martínez (16 assists)

Highest Average Rating: Gerardo Aranda (7.25)

Fans Player of the Season: Gerardo Aranda

Other Notable Contributors: Pep Costa (16 goals), Gianluca Caricato (AvR 7.24), Christer Fors (4 PoTM), Simón Villanueva (AvR 7.18),

Serie A Team of the Year | Cosenza Best Eleven

5sxYfPx.png?1

lysgsoS.png?1

We've continue to progress in the European rankings, and now find ourselves in the top 20. Surely a better seeding for the Champions League can't be too far off now.

3qJhjE5.png?1

I told you he had a good season.

2Hu4sFt.png?1

ooB8vSi.png?1

3O7MV7q.png?1

I never get sick of these accolades, although there will be a time soon, I imagine, where someone else is chosen.

VXNRToC.png?1

I had another season left to run on my contract, but I'm very happy to extend until 2032. My next ambition with Cosenza is to win the Champions League, so will reevaluate my options if we do this within the next three seasons; I'd consider this unlikely, though, although I would be foolish to rule it out completely.

Season     Team              League                     Finish    Cups                             
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014       Polis DRM         Liga Premier        5th      Astro Piala First Round
2015       Polis DRM         Liga Premier        3rd      Astro Piala First Round, Piala Malaysia First Round
2016       Hougang Utd       S.League            5th      S.League Cup Semi Final
2017       Hougang Utd       S.League            6th*     * Resigned after 23 games (October 2017)
2017/18    Gateshead         Skrill Premier      4th*     * Promoted via Playoffs. Took charge October 2017.
2018/19    Gateshead         League Two          12th     FA Cup 1st Round, Capital One Cup 1st Round
2019/20    Gateshead         League Two          1st      FA Cup 3rd Round, Capital One Cup 1st Round
2020/21    Cosenza           Serie C Group C     2nd      Serie C Cup 1st Round
2021/22    Cosenza           Serie C Group C     1st      Serie C Cup Winner
2022/23    Cosenza           Serie B             1st      TIM Cup 1st Round
2023/24    Cosenza           Serie A             8th      TIM Cup 1st Round
2024/25    Cosenza           Serie A             5th      TIM Cup Semi Final
2025/26    Cosenza           Serie A             3rd      Europa League 2nd KO Round, TIM Cup 1st Round
2026/27    Cosenza           Serie A             3rd      Champions League Quarter Final, TIM Cup Winner
2027/28    Cosenza           Serie A             1st      Champions League Quarter Final, TIM Cup Semi Final
2028/29    Cosenza           Serie A             1st      Champions League Quarter Final, TIM Cup Runner-Up

It's amazing to think in 9 years at Cosenza you've had 2 promotions, 2 cup semi finals, 2 finals, a Serie C cup win, 2 titles and made the CL quarter finals 3 times :eek::D Glad you are staying and looking to finish the job off, especially since you could have took the easy option and gone to Fiorentina a few years back :thup:

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - Pre-Season 2029/30

Now that we have the taste for winning, we'll be looking for further success again this season. Juventus are once again the bookies favourites, but I wouldn't like to bet against us making it three Serie A titles in a row, especially if we can improve our home form on last season's efforts. I'd also like us to improve further in Europe, having progressed no further than the Quarter Final of the Champions League, where we've lost to English opposition on all three occasions; I hope the Premier League teams are knocked out early this time!

TEa3Ar6.png?1

Media Prediction: 2nd

Title Odds: 7-4 (2nd favourites. Juventus Evens favourites)

Serie A TIM: Champions League Qualification

TIM Cup: Not Important

Supercoppa di Lega TIM: Not Important

Champions League: Quarter Final

Transfer Budget: £103m

Wage Budget: £1.4m (spending £992k)

Season Ticket Sales: 27648 (up 525)

BwbpmWY.png?1

Some key players have been sold over the course of the summer, with headlines being made by the club record £42m transfer of Yohan Villamizar to Manchester City. He's only 19, and a terrific prospect, but this really is exceptional money for a player of his age, and an offer that I had no intentions of declining; he didn't quite fit into our system, despite his obvious qualities. Also departing was Gianluigi Caricato, one of our attacking right-backs, who had been with us for six seasons. He was after a new challenge, and only really a rotational player, so, again, I decide the cash in when the opportunity came. Coming in the other way are a good selection of players, including the club record signing of Filippo Giannini, who is only likely to be a rotational player; this proves how much we've improved the squad over the past year of two. In fact, the best signing of the lot is likely to be Joshua Negouai, who joins us on a season-long loan from PSG; I'll be looking to make him a permanent fixture if things work out well.

XNf6JBP.png?1

Key Players: Luis Martínez (AMC), Christer Fors (DC), Pep Costa (ST), Tomás Soares (DC), Joshua Negouai (MC), Rodolfo de Bartolo (GK), Agustin Quiñones (MC), Radoslaw Galinski (DR), Jan Hoogendoorn (DC), Gennadiy Palyukh (ST)

It's amazing to think in 9 years at Cosenza you've had 2 promotions, 2 cup semi finals, 2 finals, a Serie C cup win, 2 titles and made the CL quarter finals 3 times :eek::D Glad you are staying and looking to finish the job off, especially since you could have took the easy option and gone to Fiorentina a few years back :thup:

Thanks, Dexter :) The Champions League is next on the list - it may take a while, though ;)

Great progress AK :thup:. Champions League Quarter Final and back to back Serie A's...a far cry from the Skrill Premier a few years back :D

Ah, the good old days. I do miss Gateshead (they're still in League One), and Callum Challinor, though :)

From Malaysia to Serie A champs. Not bad at all. :D

The boy did good :D And not forgetting Singapore, either. Might have to go back to Asia at some point, especially with a certain career on the forum giving some inspiration.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - December 2029 Update

dcIRuJ2.png?1

A better start than last year, with a good smattering of green and not so many reds. Disappointingly, though, the defeat that did come our way was in Milan against the league leaders, and one of the teams looking likely to be competing with us for the Serie A title; up to this point, we did have a good record against them too, having remained unbeaten since the 2024/25 season. Despite this, the early signs are encouraging nonetheless, with the majority of the new recruits settling quickly, and offering some freshness to the team; we'll see soon enough if this will be enough for a third consecutive league title or not.

At last, we had been seeded second for the Champions League Group Stage, meaning that Debrecen and Brondby joined us and Manchester United in a favourable group, from our perspective. That said, the trip to Hungary proved more difficult than anticipated, with a shaky performance earning us a lucky point; I had this down as a three point banker. Following this, Man Utd held us to a goalless draw in Italy, before we got our campaign back on track with back-to-back victories over Brondby. Qualification is now in the bag, but we'll have to avoid defeat in Manchester if we're to make it through as group winners; it'll be nice to avenge their victory over us in the Quarter Final last season, but I consider them favourites still.

yNb4AoL.png?1

4ba1Hte.png?1

Lazio, Lazio, Lazio. Remember them? They were the side who very nearly ended up as Serie A champions last season. Looking at the way they've started this campaign, it pretty safe to say that last year was a big flash in the pan; there's definitely no chance of a repeat performance this time around. At the business end, the ever-unpredictable AC Milan lead the way, who tend to be either a cabbage or caviar type of team; at this stage, it's looking like a vintage year for them, although it's debatable if they'll sustain their form over the course of the season. We're handily placed, regardless, with Juventus making a strong start too; could be another interesting title battle.

iygVs2H.png?1

KrBDQmo.png?1

NQII3y6.png?1

The stadium expansion took over a year to complete, so it's a relief that it's finally done. Our fan base is ever increasing, though, and we're likely to sell out most home fixtures now, even with the expansion, so further developments are likely to be needed sooner rather than later.

YToYbx5.png?1

AcQaofb.png?1

Good to see that the Chairman is happy to continually fund the development of the club's infrastructure.

xPzcjux.png?1

And another landmark for me.

Great thread. Loving the Keeper Scuffet - great name for a goalkeeper or any footballer for that matter. This has convinced me to pack in Chelsea save (to easy) and start a journeyman save like this, started unemployed and got offered a job in Poruguese second division with Uniao Madeira :) If i do even half as well as you i will be delighted!

Looking back to where you began im guessing patience is a major factor in a save like this?

QiWkQYe.png

Spain - December 2029 Update

oQW0efe.png?1

The qualification campaign continued without a hitch, although motivation dropped after we had beaten Bosnia & Herzegovina to secure top spot; the dead-rubbers against Liechtenstein and Montenegro were real half-arsed performances. Still, we won them both, and finished with a 100% record.

LdRHE4p.png?1

Comfortably, we've been the best team in our group, and have mostly dominated the teams we have competed against. The race for second was fairly tight, although Denmark did just about deserve it; they've been the most difficult opposition we've faced.

wp0nG8r.png?1

The unbeaten record continues.

yCHqqaw.png?1

Everyone expected us to qualify for the World Cup, but it's still pleasing to have done so.

The World Cup draw has thrown up a decent enough group for us:

mZCG129.png?1

As top seeds, we will be favourites to qualify, and I expect Sweden to join us in the knockout stages.

KUM8XRR.png?1

The Spanish FA should have really chosen Cosenza; I would have done them a good deal :)

The good news just keeps coming at Cosenza :thup:

It really is happy valley at the moment :)

Which of Debrecen or Brondby is a third seed? And why - has one a tycoon?

Debrecen were third seeds, mainly helped by their good recent performances in the Europa League, which has increased their coefficient - they are certainly not tycooned back.

Cosenza becoming a force.

I hope so! It's been a while in the making.

Just read the thread, brilliant back to back promotions with Cosenza!

Thanks BluesGuy! :thup:

Great thread. Loving the Keeper Scuffet - great name for a goalkeeper or any footballer for that matter. This has convinced me to pack in Chelsea save (to easy) and start a journeyman save like this, started unemployed and got offered a job in Poruguese second division with Uniao Madeira :) If i do even half as well as you i will be delighted!

Looking back to where you began im guessing patience is a major factor in a save like this?

Definitely give it a go, cfcx :thup:

My careers always tend to span 20/30 years, so I'm kind of use to waiting for success, even more so when I start right at the bottom of the footballing pyramid. That said, it's good to have minor achievements along the way, just to keep my interest up. Then, when you do hit the big time, it's much more rewarding.

Progressing nicely and well done on topping your CL group :thup:. Yours is the 3rd thread in a row that I've caught up on that is currently in Italy. How is the league to play in now? Still the foreigner rules? Last time I played in Italy was on FM06 with Napoli in Serie C.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - March 2030 Update

QaoJt4y.png?1

It's been an excellent winter period for us, one of the best in my time at Cosenza. Firstly, we managed to steal a draw at Old Trafford (majorly against the run of play), which secured the top spot in our Champions League group, and a favourable draw in the First Knockout Round. We've handsomely beaten Ajax in the first leg, so, baring something completely unthinkable, we've virtually guaranteed our place in the last eight; hopefully this will be the season we debut in the Semi Final.

Back in Italy, we're now unbeaten in Serie A since the end of September - that's a five month period! It's seems that our form is improving week on week, at the moment, too, despite the recent draw to Genoa. That's a genuine blip, in my opinion, and a slight come back down to earth after hammering Fiorentina 5-0; the performance of the season so far. We also have another Coppa Italia final to look forward too, after coming from behind against Roma in the Semi Final; we'll play AC Milan this time, in a game that may also sway the momentum in the title race too.

qIb2t7v.png?1

It's been a war of attrition with AC Milan, who continue to be a constant thorn in our side. In fact, they went unbeaten through most of the winter months, leading the table for much of it, before dropping points in the last couple of games, which has opened the door for us to jump above them at the top of the table. Juventus aren't completely out of it either, so I'm expected a fiercely fought final third of the season. That said, being defending champions, and now with a three point advantage, I make us slight favourites to lift the trophy again.

And poor old Lazio! What a contrast from last season :D

Progressing nicely and well done on topping your CL group :thup:. Yours is the 3rd thread in a row that I've caught up on that is currently in Italy. How is the league to play in now? Still the foreigner rules? Last time I played in Italy was on FM06 with Napoli in Serie C.

I've always enjoyed Italy (one of my top five favourite leagues), so was majorly gutted when it was bugged in FM13 (with an incorrect tax calculation), and was unplayable in my eyes. Everything seems to working correctly this time around, though, and thoroughly endorse a season or two there :thup:

The restrictions on foreigners are a bit of a pain (2 non-EU signings per season), but workable providing you plan your squad building well. There's also not as much money floating around as there is in England, Germany etc, but that only adds to the challenge; I'm not one for splashing large amounts of cash usually, anyway, and tend to take more of the 'Arry approach to transfer dealings.

Did you really have to beat Ajax 5-1? :p

I was close to managing in Italy (offered a job by Fiorentina...twice!) but never really fancied managing there. Not sure whether I would like the 2 non-EU signings, because well...I like signing players from non-EU countries! :D

I do want to try out Italy sometime, but I always manage the same Euro and Asian leagues.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - May 2030 Update

KtkalqW.png?1

Where to start? Perhaps with our night in Sevilla for the Champions League Final; a compelling match where we were just seconds away from claiming our maiden Champions League trophy. Having taken an early lead, Arsenal were happy to sit back and soak up the pressure, allowing us to control possession in the middle of the park. That said, they were a constant threat on the break, and totalled more attempts at goal than us over the course of the game. A few tactical tweaks gave a route back into the contest, with two quick goals turning the match on it's head, and giving us one hand on the trophy. Arsenal came again, and, despite our best efforts to keep them out, equalised in the dying seconds; we were heading for extra time. Demoralised by the last ditch equaliser, my team didn't show up at the resumption, allowing Arsenal to take the lead almost straight away, although this goal was clearly offside and should have been disallowed. With very little left in the tank, we couldn't rally ourselves for one final assault to level up the match, actually allowing the Gunners in once again to put the tie to bed. An enthralling match, regardless of the final result; it's agonising to come so close, though.

Domestically, the close to the season has been far less dramatic, with a league and cup domestic double sewn up in fairly routine fashion. Having beaten Juventus in Turin, we secured our third successive Serie A title with three games to spare, meaning that we could fully focus on our remaining cup matches. Again, AC Milan proved little difficulty to surpass in the Coppa Italia final, with the four goal winning margin no way flattering us, and hammering home the dominance we have shown in Italian football this season.

iLbVG9C.png?1

The early pacesetters, AC Milan, severely slipped away as the season drew to a close, but still managed to comfortably hold on for third place. With only three league defeats, and a +60 goal difference, it comes as no surprise that we managed to win the league at such a stroll in the end. Lazio managed to get their acts together, eventually, and finished clear of relegation in the end.

8UkbGm5.png?1

jALHJQg.png?1

Again, I wouldn't technically call this a treble.

OBHilsm.png?1

63thKOn.png?1

Luis has had a tremendous season, contributing with 29 assists and 20 goals; having turned 27 this year he's most definitely starting to hit the peak of his powers.

Pl9b4cU.png?1

By0EPNp.png?1

When I signed him, I knew that Palyukh would suit our system and the goals would follow; however, I didn't expect 38 for the season and for records to tumble quite so soon.

Did you really have to beat Ajax 5-1? :p

I was close to managing in Italy (offered a job by Fiorentina...twice!) but never really fancied managing there. Not sure whether I would like the 2 non-EU signings, because well...I like signing players from non-EU countries! :D

I do want to try out Italy sometime, but I always manage the same Euro and Asian leagues.

Sorry about that :D

I've never really had a problem with the non-EU restrictions, especially as so many have second nationalities these days. Of course, if you're intent in funneling in the greatest talents of East Asia, then you may come slightly unstuck :p

What happened with Lazio? Did they overspend and have to sell people?

They've just had a 'mare domestically this season, probably struggling with the European commitments on a fairly small squad. They reached the Quarter Final of the Champions League, knocking out Barcelona on the way, so their team certainly isn't too shabby. They did sell a couple of key first team players, and reinvested this money in replacements, but certainly nothing alarming. With their consistent inconsistency, I wouldn't put it past them challenging the top four again next season.

In past versions it was actually quite common to see them relegated at least once. Maybe up to FM09-10.

Indeed it was. One of my favourite Italian sides, though - they've had some great players in the past.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - End of Season Review 2029/30

A slightly earlier than usual round-up, due to the forthcoming World Cup, so there's a few items outstanding.

All-be-told, it's been a brilliant season where we've confirmed ourselves as the best team in Italy, clearing up convincingly in all domestic competitions. Reaching the Champions League Final should also be treated as a major achievement, despite the disappointing outcome, and one we'll do well the match in future seasons; I'm still not convinced we've earned the right to be considered amongst the best teams in Europe yet.

Serie A TIM: 1st

TIM Cup: Winner

UEFA Champions League: Runner-Up

Average Attendance: 48441 (up 15670)

Transfer History | Finances

FHM1Onw.png?1

The squad is pretty much where I needed it to be, with solid cover in every position across the pitch. Changes are afoot over the summer, though, with both longstanding full-backs, Simón Villaneuva and Gerardo Aranda, moving to pastures new after failing to agree to new contracts. I would have preferred to have kept them both, having both been consistent performers over the years, but their revised wage demands did not strike me as particularly good value for money. Ability wise, I'm sure there are better too, so we'll see what turns up in the transfer market over the summer. Additionally, we'll need to replace loanee, Joshua Negouai, who established himself as a key player in central midfield, that is unless we can come to an arrangement with PSG over a permanent deal; the early signs are not looking good, though!

Top Goalscorer: Gennadiy Palyukh (38 goals)

Most Assists: Luis Martínez (29 assists)

Highest Average Rating: Luis Martínez/Gerardo Aranda (7.51)

Fans Player of the Season: Luis Martínez

Other Notable Contributors: Pep Costa (16 goals, 13 assists), Tomás Soares (10 goals), Rodolfo de Bartolo (26 clean sheets), Radoslaw Galinski (10 assists), Simón Villanueva (AvR 7.31), Christer Fors (AvR 7.21), Joshua Negouai (AvR 7.17)

Serie A Team of the Year | Cosenza Best Eleven | Champions League Dream Team

nkpYp6t.png?1

The captain scored the best goal in the tournament this season!

MJ7pKAU.png?1

Hiif1Lc.png?1

These two have been outstanding all year, so I'm delighted they've both been recognised for their contributions to our success. I anticipate us needing to fight off teams over the summer, as interest in them is surely going to increase.

MxZd4S1.png?1

ooB8vSi.png?1

3O7MV7q.png?1

A few more awards.

3FrFC9l.png?1

XmBkOQe.png?1

Music to my ears, and will see the ground capacity top the 50,000 mark. Ker-ching :cool:

Season     Team              League                     Finish    Cups                             
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014       Polis DRM         Liga Premier        5th      Astro Piala First Round
2015       Polis DRM         Liga Premier        3rd      Astro Piala First Round, Piala Malaysia First Round
2016       Hougang Utd       S.League            5th      S.League Cup Semi Final
2017       Hougang Utd       S.League            6th*     * Resigned after 23 games (October 2017)
2017/18    Gateshead         Skrill Premier      4th*     * Promoted via Playoffs. Took charge October 2017.
2018/19    Gateshead         League Two          12th     FA Cup 1st Round, Capital One Cup 1st Round
2019/20    Gateshead         League Two          1st      FA Cup 3rd Round, Capital One Cup 1st Round
2020/21    Cosenza           Serie C Group C     2nd      Serie C Cup 1st Round
2021/22    Cosenza           Serie C Group C     1st      Serie C Cup Winner
2022/23    Cosenza           Serie B             1st      TIM Cup 1st Round
2023/24    Cosenza           Serie A             8th      TIM Cup 1st Round
2024/25    Cosenza           Serie A             5th      TIM Cup Semi Final
2025/26    Cosenza           Serie A             3rd      Europa League 2nd KO Round, TIM Cup 1st Round
2026/27    Cosenza           Serie A             3rd      Champions League Quarter Final, TIM Cup Winner
2027/28    Cosenza           Serie A             1st      Champions League Quarter Final, TIM Cup Semi Final
2028/29    Cosenza           Serie A             1st      Champions League Quarter Final, TIM Cup Runner-Up
2029/30    Cosenza           Serie A             1st      Champions League Runner-Up, TIM Cup Winner

QiWkQYe.png

Spain - World Cup Build Up

N3bv4XC.png?1

Hardly the best preparation for a major tournament, with defeats to Uruguay and Scotland, although I have been continuously tinkering with the line-up in order to try and determine the best 23 to take with me to Italy for the World Cup. What is concerning, though, is that we haven't played particularly well since confirming our qualification against Bosnia and Herzegovina last September, and no longer look the same team that strolled through their group.

LeEG2QC.png?1

MB415DV.png?1

I still haven't lost a competitive match as Spain manager, but it would be foolish to completely brush these friendly defeats under the carpet. Lessons must be learnt if we're to match expectations at the forthcoming competition.

CpqdrIa.png?1

This is optimistic, although inline with the FA's expectations; they see us getting to the Semi Final.

fbX22cS.png?1

It's been tough to narrow the preliminary 30-man squad down to 23, with Arsenal striker Felipe Delgado extremely unlucky to miss the cut. He's only 22, so they'll be further opportunities in the future, but it's still a big call to overlook someone who scored 29 goals during the season; however, in a 4-2-3-1 system, I can only afford to take so many front men.

EDPgBTd.png?1

Joint second favourites. No pressure, then. Italy, as hosts, are probably a good bet of reaching the final.

QiWkQYe.png

Spain - World Cup 2030 Group Stage

Group D Match 1 - Spain 2 Sweden 0

Italia '30 got underway in a sound fashion, with a routine two goal victory over the Swedes. Our Scandinavian counterparts never really got a foothold in the game, only registering one shot at goal during the 90 minutes. An early goal from José Manuel, followed by a late penalty converted by Felipe Gabilondo, was enough to start our campaign without alarm.

Group D Match 2 - Morocco 1 Spain 1

Our trip to Naples didn't really go to plan, with Morocco giving us an enormous scare. They actually took the lead during the second half, before Javi got us out of jail to secure a point. If we had won, qualification would have been secured, but, alas, we would need to get a result in the final group match to go through.

Group D Match 3 - Spain 1 Japan 0

We went into our third and final group stage match knowing that as long as we avoided defeat we would progress to the knockout stages. I wanted to top the group, though, in order to avoid Argentina in the next round, so was intent in beating the Japanese (a team we had comfortably beaten 3-0 in a friendly earlier this year). Things didn't quite go completely to plan, with us having to wait until the hour mark to take the lead, when Juan Alberto Amengual found the breakthrough. Shortly after, we found ourselves down to ten men, after Simón Villanueva decided to dive in two-footed in a reckless challenge, and was rightly sent off (he is now banned for three matches :rolleyes:). A nervy 30 minutes followed, but we just about clung on to what we had, to top the group.

u0rJ6dl.png?1

Ghana awaits in the Last 16. Not the tastiest of ties - that accolade goes to England vs Brazil, being contested in Turin.

Surprise exclusions from the knockout rounds include Germany, who were pipped to qualification by South Africa, and France, who lost out on goal difference to Tunisia. World Number 5, Portugal, are also out, having failed to win a match in a group containing Australia and Ghana.

QiWkQYe.png

Spain - World Cup 2030 Knockout Stages

2nd Round - Ghana 0 Spain 3

Much better from the team, and a very convincing win. A bumper crowd of 119,338 saw Sebastián De la Rosa, Juan Alberto Amengual and Sergio Molina score the goals to guide us through to the Quarter Final. Despite the positives, an injury to key midfielder Javi is a major blow, as he'll now miss the rest of the tournament.

Quarter Final - Italy 1 Spain 1 (8-9 on pens)

Next up were the hosts, in a match that I wasn't overly confident that we would get anything from due to their home advantage. Both goals came early on, with Amengual converting a penalty for us to take the lead, before Italy equalised within seconds. A tense 100-odd minutes followed, with neither side looking capable of making a decisive breakthrough, so it was inevitable that penalties would be needed to determine who would progress. Both teams missed early on in the shootout, before Luca Donatelli missed Italy's tenth kick, allowing our centre-back, Sergio Molina, to score the decisive penalty and see us through.

Semi Final - Spain 2 England 1 (AET)

Another marathon of a match, and a game that saw us fight back from an early England goal. Having knocked out Brazil (3-1), this was certainly no shabby English side, and one that I didn't expect to let us back into the game. Thankfully, a goalmouth scramble resulted in an own goal to level matters in the first half, and parity continued up to end of 90 minutes. We flew out of the traps during extra time, with José Manuel benefiting from poor marking at a corner to head us into the lead. I then parked the bus, and hoped for the best! England didn't really offer any further threat, so we were on our way into the World Cup final!

A4TAwoC.png?1

Final - Spain 0 Argentina 2

Perhaps the biggest match of my managerial career, and, ultimately, another failure in a major tournament final. Quite an even affair, where Argentina allowed us more possession, although never really in areas of the pitch to cause them any concerns. We had our chances, and quite easily could have had a couple of goals on another day, but, on balance, Argentina just about had the edge and deserved to lift the World Cup for the fourth time in their history (1978, 1986, 2014 and 2030)

HGWvFSZ.png?1

Arguably, we had a harder route to the final, having to endure extra time twice compared to Argentina's solitary time against Sweden in the Second Round. My players were knackered by the time we got to the final, so it's no real surprise that we ran out of gas as the tournament closed; a couple of niggly injuries didn't help either.

L1S3XBW.png?1

FIFA World Cup Dream Team

No Spanish stars in the first eleven, but a few on the bench. I'm pleased that my Cosenza 'keeper, Rodolfo de Bartolo, won the Yashin award too (he only conceded twice throughout the tournament).

DuZk4u8.png?1

rq7FJSd.png?1

Everyone seems pleased enough with our performance despite the disappointment in the final.

j4XBfT5.png?1

I've decided to stay on for the Euro qualifying campaign, although it's likely that I will be bleeding some new players into the squad; five of the World Cup squad were 32 or over, so some changes in personnel are needed.

aQLxpmN.png?1

Croatia at number six is quite a surprise, with Germany slipping below Scotland due to their poor showing at the World Cup.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - Pre-Season 2030/31

After winning three in a row, you would have thought that we would be favourites for another Serie A title; however, the bookies and the media are both going with Juventus, again, although there is very little to chose between us when it comes to the odds. Surely, it's ours to lose, though.

One point of interest is that we still have a relatively low wage bill, the ninth highest in the division, which means I'm able to keep the finances ticking over nicely. This won't be sustainable for much longer, though, as with several world class players in the squad now, I would imagine any future contract negotiations will begin around the six-figure mark; our top earner is on £63k per week, at the moment, so the wage structure will have to go out the window if we're to keep our best players.

dGLLnHn.png?1

Media Prediction: 2nd

Title Odds: 5-4 (2nd favourites. Juventus Evens favourites)

Serie A TIM: Title Challenge

TIM Cup: Not Important

Supercoppa di Lega TIM: Not Important

Champions League: Semi Final

Transfer Budget: £127m

Wage Budget: £1.5m (spending £1.1m)

Season Ticket Sales: 28173 (up 525)

YWhdLAi.png?1

An excellent window, where I believe that we've managed to strengthen the squad in several positions. The requisitions of new full-backs, Farcas and Belotti, are definite upgrades on last season's personnel, with Giovanni Viveros filling the void in midfield left by the return of Negouai to his parent club; these three are all likely to feature heavily in the first team. Additionally, Davide Nocciola will strengthen our strikeforce, with the added bonus of his homegrown status; I can't fathom why Juventus decided to let him go, as he's bound to score goals. All-in-all, I'm optimistic that I have a squad capable of another excellent season.

Key Players: Luis Martínez (AMC), Christer Fors (DC), Tomás Soares (DC), Rodolfo de Bartolo (GK), Gennadiy Palyukh (ST), Filippo Giannini (AMC), Giovanni Viveros (MC), Ciprian Farcaş (DR), Alfredo Belotti (DL), Davide Nocciola (ST)

You've been very succesful, do you think it's tactics?

There's no doubt that I've an excellent system being deployed at Cosenza, having taken several seasons to perfect it, and all players signed have to be highly combative and comfortable on the ball. That said, I don't think it's anything majorly special, just pacey attacking fullbacks, midfielders with excellent passing and work-rate, and an explosive striker; it just seems to work for us, and fits nicely in the Italian footballing mentality, so there's no need to rethink anything for the time-being.

If/when I move on, I'll probably look to re-install wingers in my tactics, as I do miss them from the current system.

nl8fLVt.png?1

Cosenza - December 2030 Update

cJAcAQL.png?1

Unbeaten, with points dropped in just three games; it's looking good for a dominant season. Continuing from last year, Gennadiy Palyukh and Luis Martinez are in excellent form, with the Ukrainian averaging precisely a goal per game, and the Mexican midfielder proving pivotal in most of our attacking moves; think Gerrard and Torres in their prime at Liverpool (circa 2008/09), and these two wouldn't be a mile off.

We've comfortably qualified from our Champions League group, with two games to spare, scoring plenty of goals in the process. Now we're top seeds, I was expecting a more favourable draw, but I don't think I could have handpicked much of an easier trio to face; we did, however, drop points in Turkey, in a scruffy match against Galatasaray, so won't be going through completely unblemished.

2xQ5Anc.png?1

IoJuGE1.png?1

Even at this early stage, it's looking ominous for the rest of the league, as we already have a comfortable cushion at the top of the table. Of course, there's plenty of time for things to change over the duration of the season, but, from our perspective, it's great to see our main rivals, Juventus and Milan, so far off the pace. Fiorentina have started well, though, still unbeaten too, so we'll definitely need to keep an eye on them if they continue to keep pace.

KISdXq4.png?1

A nice landmark. I have a 59% win ratio, which is decent, but definite room for improvement.

ZHNkLFt.png?1

Of course, my vote, as the Spanish national manager, will be cast in a fair and just manner (possibly).

Archived