FM14: Liverpool F.C Thread - This Year is our Year!

cezar.sl

Oh yeah, that one. In what case do you use that one? I've been using your other tactic and it's working alright for me. Rocky start 1-4-2 but didnt concede much (mostly 0-0 draws) but now on a 6 game win streak and I'm in the top 4.

Mainly in champions league games really. It's a lot more defensive than the other tactic, of course, and it's served me well for when I'm a goal or two behind.

It's technically a five at the back because the half back acts basically as a sweeper slightly in front of the centre backs also.

How was your pre-season? Did the tactic become almost fully fluid by the time you had your first game? It could be because it wasn't, but who knows. Great to hear things are looking up though!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished my first season with Liverpool a couple of days back. Playing a 4-2-3-1 with instruction of Shorter Passsing, Play Out Of Defence, Pass Into Space, Run at Defence, Higher Defensive Line and Tighter Marking. The season started off fairly average and picked up as the tactic fluidity became closer to 100% before my form took another dip towards the end of the season. This is when i started using 'Higher Defensive Line' and the results picked up and i ended up winning a lot of the games in the run in.

Overall in the League i finished 3rd which was hard to take as United came second by a point after we only managed a 3-3 draw with Fulham on the last day of the season - Champions League Football nonetheless. Chelsea ran away with the League, they got such a good start and no one was capable of catching them. Arsenal came 4th and City were way off eventually finishing 5th but for a lot of the season were around 7th-8th resulting in Aguero being unhappy and sold and a lot of other players still unhappy so it'll be interesting to see how their season goes. The cups were nothing to write about and i'll be looking to improve on that and hopefully win some silverware from one of them in my second season.

The only transfer i brought in was Alex Sandro for 10.5M as he's good enough to go straight in and long term replacement for Jose Enrique. Into the second season now and like a lot of people scoring isn't a problem but i leaked a lot of goals at the back. Brought in Doria for 15.75M, ter Stegen for 15.5M and Nicusor Stanicou for 2.5M whos been sent back to Steua on a season long loan. Out went Reina and Coates so far, still trying to ship Kolo Toure off the wage bill.

Looking forward to seeing how all the youngsters develop after carefully choosing teams to loan them to and also the likes of Sterling in the first team as he had a great season last season and scored a hat-trick in my first match of season 2. Been drawn in the CL group stage with Porto, Juventus and Mainz. Confident of getting through tha group and hopefully getting nearer to becoming champions in the PL.

Very decent first season, RaithRovers. Shame you didn't take second place, but that's just the game sometimes.

f9e3005496820697750020b554b4a60a.png

So I have a bit of a dilemma..

I already have Sterling and Jordon Ibe who are English and already far beyond good enough for the first team. But so is Suso.. and he is better than Ibe.

Here is a screenshot for you guys:

8e013898511acfb04e11941ddbc2185b.png

Ps: I have no idea why I highlighted his attributes for a deep lying playmaker. :lol:

Anyone want to put in their opinion? I really am tempted to sell him for that price, but I can't use the transfer money for any players.

Very decent first season, RaithRovers. Shame you didn't take second place, but that's just the game sometimes.

Anyone want to put in their opinion? I really am tempted to sell him for that price, but I can't use the transfer money for any players.

If you can't use the money then the squad depth wont hurt. His wage wont affect your financial position so I'd just keep him unless you have a soft spot for the player (either to keep him in your team because he's suso or sell him so we can see how good he can become through regular games at another club)

If you can't use the money then the squad depth wont hurt. His wage wont affect your financial position so I'd just keep him unless you have a soft spot for the player (either to keep him in your team because he's suso or sell him so we can see how good he can become through regular games at another club)

Great points.

In real life, I am a fan of Suso but he's not of Gerrard/Carragher (in previous versions) calibre where he is absolutely indispensable. In game, he hasn't even played under me yet but has developed astronomically from playing in the La Liga - Almeria in the first season and Champions League football with Grenada in the second season.

The squad depth is nice, but I could easily replace him with Sergi Canos, who is good enough for the role that Suso would play.

The main selling point about selling him ( :D ) is that he's not an academy player. He was bought from Cadiz, so if you think about it, isn't a part of the youth graduate criteria.

Mainly in champions league games really. It's a lot more defensive than the other tactic, of course, and it's served me well for when I'm a goal or two behind.

It's technically a five at the back because the half back acts basically as a sweeper slightly in front of the centre backs also.

How was your pre-season? Did the tactic become almost fully fluid by the time you had your first game? It could be because it wasn't, but who knows. Great to hear things are looking up though!

Started with 2 draws against Zenit and Rubin Kazan. Then came 4 wins against lesser teams and then a draw against Juventus. My main worry is I can't seem to be able to keep a clean sheet.

http://gyazo.com/587a0cb79897c056e447bd0788509c15

These are my fixtures if anyone is interested. I'm really happy now with the 6 straight wins but lack of clean sheets is troubling me. Maybe I need to switch out Mignolet?

EDIT: just played vs 18th places Sunderland and scored 5 goals (Suarez 2, Sterling 2, Sturridge 1!) but conceded 2 goals :/. Jordan Ibe is a backup for Coutinho and is putting up some good performances.

Season 1...qualified for Champions League in fourth place on last day with a thumping away win at Cardiff. Everton lost at home to Southampton to gift me fourth in a rather unconvincing season..

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-3_zps48d7f3a3.png

Season 2...now it get interesting...

a 2-1 defeat against Chelsea then this mental result left me in sixth position having lost 7 league games

TottenhamvLiverpool_OverviewOverview_zps45c5570e.png

League Cup was memorable

Early round win against ManU--5-1!

ManUtdvLiverpool_StatsMatchStats_zpsf96abf59.png

went on to win it! my 1st trophy for the Reds!

CapitalOneCup_MatchesFixturesampResults_zps814788fd.png

revenge time in the final of the Fa Cup...

EnglishFACup_MatchesFixturesampResults_zps9851d0b0.png

2 cups secured and win after win after win in the league...Champions!!!

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewStages-4_zps34148760.png

Champions League was on fire...Knockout stages....

Real Madrid beaten 2- on agg, Juventus beat in Quarters 4-1 on agg, Arsenal 4-2 on agg in semis...

Barcelona would await in the final...

EuropeanChampionsCup_MatchesFixturesampResults_zps7835a2a2.png

Luis Suarez extra time free kickc outside the box!!

what a seasAlanCrown_NewsInbox_zps772b8470.pngon!!

Well, just turned a 3-1 deficit at 70 mins to a 4-3 win with Aspas grabbing 2 goals and 2 assists while Suarez is injured. But 3 goals conceded yet again a worry... It's kinda like earlier this season IRL.. outscoring the opponent :D

But unbeaten in 9, win streak was ended with a 0-0 draw at the Bridge, followed by a 4-2 loss in the Capital One Cup Quarters at Man City.

Any tips on the defence/goalkeeping worries most welcome :)! Already conceded 21 goals in 17 games! Just lucky the SAS is performing to their usual standards :D

Juve and PSG keep bothering me with bids for Borini (26M) and Sturridge (49M).

That's a lot of money, but I don't see who I could replace them with.

Funny enough, if I had been paying a little attention, I could have gotten Aguero for around 45M, b/c City didn't qualify for CL.

He went to Real. :(

omg those values are immense! i sold Borini for 15million as he just wasnt consistant. and nobody wants sturridge, i got annoyed and decided i didnt want him after last season getting injure atleast 3 times!! limiting him to a max of 15 games.

My values dont seem to go that high lol.

Borini had 18 goals in 22 starts last season.

I do have Kevin Volland. Got him for 15M (release clause).

I only have Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge, Borini, Sterling, Volland as first teamers for my front 3.

So Borini is actually worth keeping huh? How are you playing him? Would he work as a False 9?

I personally think Borini is very overrated on this game compared to his real life counterpart. He did pretty well for me last season, despite only playing 14 league games, he did score 10 goals.

However, I will sell him.

and speaking of which, I will do my pre-season review now because I have a couple of things to overview, despite it only being July 13th in game right now.

So I have decided to sell some players who are aging and who are eating up a lot of wages in the team that could be spent elsewhere.

Currently, these are the players who I have sold, and I will also put who I have replaced with:

18f60d79d4cd2b4908b95e58038e0b56.png

Glen Johnson got less and less games last season because of the emergence of John Flanagan. I am rather sad to see him go but he was earning far too much. Plus he turned 30 and that's around the time I want to stop playing players so I can get as much money as possible for them. I will replace him with Martin Kelly, who will play a rotational role with John Flanagan.

Martin Skrtel was also another player that got less games last season and although he played well when he did play, I couldn't turn down bringing in a profit from his former club especially as he was earning £70k a week. He will be replaced by Tiago Ilori, who will play as a back up centre back, the same as what Skrtel was.

Daniel Agger was probably the hardest transfer decision to make out of the lot (apart from Suso, since I had to actually ask for advice :lol: ). He played 45 games last season and was an absolute rock in our defense and I would've kept him until he retired, but Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus all randomly bid for him. I felt that he deserves a chance to play for some of the best teams in the world, and to move on from us, despite what he has done for us. Mamadou Sakho will replace him as vice captain and will become captain when Gerrard retires and Sebastian Coates will replace him as a starting centre back with Andre Wisdom as back up/rotational.

The Luis Alberto sale was one of the weirdest sales I've ever done. I haven't really played him, but he does look quite alright. However, his work rate is really not to my standards and I decided to offer him out to clubs for double his value. Behold, Real Madrid the only team who wanted to pay £15 million for him. Suckers. Since he was a loanee last season, no replacements are needed.

Fabio Borini, as mentioned, played pretty well last season. I did however, feel that he should move on as he is not guaranteed first team football and I want to blood in a new talent from my youth system and a bidding war started for him and PSG won with a tremendous transfer fee. All profit made. That new talent being Ian Lightfoot. He is the only player in the squad with 5* potential which means his PA should be around the high 190s, or maybe even 200! I'm not going to take a peak until he's fully developed, don't worry. I feel that this is the season that Lightfoot is taken into the first team like Sinclair was in the first season. I predict a front line of Sinclair and Lightfoot in the next five seasons or so.

Regarding Suso, thanks for the advice on him and it does seem that he should stay. He looks amazing, albeit a little slow. But a little individual training can sort that out. I just hope I can get as many appearances with him as possible in the season, maybe in cup games and Champions League games.

Well, mid-season update 2013-2014.

Transfers out: 15 youngsters + Brad Jones out on loan (Jones damaged his ACL and was estimated to be out for 8-9 months same day I loaned him out so i don't have to pay wages meanwhile he's injured :D)

Transfers in: Timo Horn (3.8m), Richairo Zivkovic (825k comp.), William Gallas (40k january for tutoring), Andrija Zivkovic (1.4m comp. joins 11/7/2014), Gabriel Barbosa (4.4m, joins 30/8/2014).

Using Sabine's tactics with minor tweaking in set pieces and depending on game.

After going 1-5-3 in my first 9 games I've won 12 of my last 14 games, the other two being draws at Stamford Bridge and at home to Spurs. Lost to City in the Quarters of the COC and am currently in 4th round of FA vs Arsenal at home. Sitting 2nd in the league 6 pts behind Chelsea.

I really hope the title race won't go into the last 3 games since mine are Spurs, Man City away and Chelsea at home. -.-

Hoping for CL and maybe an FA Cup (at least a final).

Suarez: 14-11-5 (injured 6 weeks)

Sturridge: 26-15-12

Sterling: 17-7-5

Coutinho: 20-3-6

Rossiter, Ibe, Sinclair and Sterling all around the first team. Sterling mainly a starter, others as backups and doing really well.

As promised here are some screenshots from my first season with Liverpool

League Table

1stSeasonLeagueTable_zps54218d02.jpg"]1stSeasonLeagueTable_zps54218d02.jpg[/url]

As you can see had a very good season. We were title contenders but he had a run of 3 games without a win towards the end of the season which ruined the chance to win the league down to mainly Simone being an idiot at times which made me get a replacement in which can be seen below. However 4th spot was achieved which was my main aim and we got some good results along the way so overall happy with the league campaign.

Transfer

YarmolenkoStats_zpsb4c22364.jpg"]YarmolenkoStats_zpsb4c22364.jpg[/url]

I only did one deal in the summer for Yarmolenko one of the players i always buy on FM if i get the chance and the stats above show why not just that but his general play is excellant and his link up play with Suarez has been key for me i paid the release clause which is a lot but i think you will agree the end result is worth it

Star Player

SuarezStats_zps0e38e48d.jpg"]SuarezStats_zps0e38e48d.jpg[/url]

WHAT A SEASON from Suarez amazing at times just could not stop scoring managed to keep him even tho Barcelona wanted him his value is now 55 million and has got Champions League football which he deserves.

Cup Comps

Not much to show or say here knocked out in the first round of League Cup and in the 6th round of FA Cup as i wanted the focus on league to make sure we got top 4 to get UCL football

2nd Season Transfers

2ndSeasonTransfers_zps49de45c0.jpg"]2ndSeasonTransfers_zps49de45c0.jpg[/url]

As you can see i was busy in the summer was given about 51 million to spend brought in Stegen due to the issues with the current keeper. Kelly wanted to go on loan so naughton was a cheap temp fix. Santon is a player i hear good things about and wanted to give enrique some compeption as the elft back i had on loan did not impress me much. And finally Pjanic was a no brainer saw he was available for that fee and i just had to sign him allen left due to not really impressing me and henderson was very good and i was not going to remove gerrard

Overall im happy with my first season with Liverpool i think im slowly building the team i want we are no where near to what i want yet thankfully the board say they want Euro Cup league finish this season which with this squad im very confident we can achieve. What do you all think of my start so far im sure you will see things that will seem strange in terms of my decisions and reasoning :) but any players you would recommend i would be grateful. Thank You for taking the time to read.

I have finally got a tactic that looks like it works. It may be similar to how we ply now, but not how we setup, if you know what I mean.

I play a 4-1-3-2. Flat back four, with a ball playing defender and one on cover. I have Glenn Johnson as an attacking full back and Neil Taylor/Enrique as support full back.

Gerrard is in the DM position as a deep lying playmaker on defend.

The Three are in midfield line. Sterling is a wide midfielder on the left on attacking duty. Allen is in central midfield as an advanced playmaker support and then Henderson is on the right as a wide midfielder support, but has an instruction to sit narrower.

Then come the SAS. Sturridge on the right as a complete forward support and Suarez on the left as a complete forward attack.

I am just gettin use to the tactic and trying to find the weakness I have in defence. I keep getting caught out with balls over or slid through the full backs and most of the goals I concede are this way. When going forward thought we move with pace and open up the defence with a through ball or crosses.

My instructions are:

-Push up (if up against pacey forwards I drop deeper)

-Hassle opponents

-work ball into box

-higher tempo

-shorter passing

-pass into space

Standard and fluid.

Anyone had the same problem with goals from behind the full back?

Just got £35 million plus £3.5 mil after 10 goals for Daniel Sturridge!

Signing Reus for £29.5 mill..

Reus was rubbish for me at AML(IF-A), Sterling did better with the exact same instructions. Reus had an avg. of 6.8ish whilst Sterling was in the 7.1ish. Very dissapointing but it'd be nice to see how someone else does with him.

Also reading all these updates really makes me want to start my third season in the Liverpool save but I'm struggling to get through the preseason (signings and sellings are a pain to do) and I'm pretty time poor at the moment.

S7C9: KEEP Reina, he is still my number one in the 3rd season. He performed much better than Mongolet and Valdes.

I was thinking this. Might actually give him a try for a season.

Or sign Courtois. Expensive, but awesome.

And I never manage to sign Courtois unfortunately. I've gone as high as 40 million and Chelsea say it's still an unacceptable bid.

I was thinking this. Might actually give him a try for a season.

And I never manage to sign Courtois unfortunately. I've gone as high as 40 million and Chelsea say it's still an unacceptable bid.

Scouted Courtois in my third/current preseason, not only said Chelsea would want around 40m but he would demand 150-200k per week wages. No thanks.

Scouted Courtois in my third/current preseason, not only said Chelsea would want around 40m but he would demand 150-200k per week wages. No thanks.

Exactly this!

Reina is good enough trust me. PSG bidded 14million for him half way through season 2!

Wakey, the problem is Johnson especially set to attack. He doesnt have the concentration or decisions to play there in that role.

Well I'm playing him as FB/Att and he is MOM twice and a 7.4 average in the first 11 matches of 2013/14, so much for stats.

Well end of season summary (a lot of pics)

Team:

http://gyazo.com/4596ce57166ed662c897007ef0753fb4

Table:

http://gyazo.com/1943b3d13b24e99ea20a6f62d62ca724

Player stats:

http://gyazo.com/94a8ca4b24dcc405aed16d75c0d96eb5

Team stats:

http://gyazo.com/1c985cc1bb2916ef706a696343eca331

Comps:

http://gyazo.com/67edeacb399a209818f493c51b1e78ec

My front 5, Suarez, Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho & Ibe were immense. Pippo and Ibe contributed very important goals and assists in the league race while the SSS banged in 61 goals between them over the course of the season. Not to mention 45 assists too :D

I have Rossiter as backup for Lucas and he showed his quality in some games. Harry Wilson is developing really well and I'm going to introduce him to the first team next season along with Jerome Sinclair. Both got a couple of games this season but nothing to celebrate. Wilson got his first cap at age 17 so he should be a star in the future!

Hoping to bring in Luke Shaw, Wanyama and Nathanial Clyne in the summer from Southampton. Arsenal finished 9th so I might try and lure one or two from there. United won the league pretty confidently after a rough start to the season. They were around 7th earlier in the season but RVP found his form and ended the campaign with 40!! goals in 35 games.

Sterling:

http://gyazo.com/e5d9f19429248da63a628f06621b9e3b

Jordan Ibe:

http://gyazo.com/4708840fa3d5baaf0da2a381649b82a3

Rossiter:

http://gyazo.com/420796718dec60580141ec6bc5e64e0f

Aiming for a title race next season and bringing in young english talent.

NEED QUICK HELP!!

Lars Bender, 25 y old, 17.5 million quid, 70.000 a week, 6 million signing bonus for him and agent combined

OR

Lucas Romero, 20 y old, 16 million quid, 42.000 a week, 3.5 million signing bonus for him and agent combined

Is Lars that much better? Should I go younger? Should I get Lars so Rossiter can develop better by tutoring and because of Lars' age?

Sabine:

Bloody hell!..

Was that with the tactic at the start of this page? Formation look a little weird, but result speaks for itself.

Yep!

and it is a weird tactic indeed, but that's what I love about this game. Finding bizarre tactical set ups and ruling the world with them. :D

Hey Sabine did u see my update of the Striker Rothwell (the beast regen you saw)?

I did when you mentioned that in this post, sorry!

I keep comparing him to my Lightfoot because it looks like they're both extremely similar in terms of potential. I can't wait to see either player in 5-10 years time. :D

What new tactic is that then ? :)

Same formation, different philosophies. Going to spend a half season testing it with a couple teams and then see what happens with my Liverpool team. :)

Yeah Lightfoot and Rothwell are both VERY VERY similar. Though yours looks more consistant.

I had a freak run of results last night and on course for winning the title by the 34th game! will post them up later!! unbeaten in 34 games i think it is.... all comps that is.

Beating Spurs 7-1 at WHL was the biggest supprise.

Archived