FM13 makes my Laptop overheat

I keep having to replay games and lose lots of progress because FM13 causes my laptop to overheat all the time, its got to the point where i just can't be bothered to play anymore because i may get a good result just to lose it, replay it and then lose the game when i replay it. I have never had this problem with previous versions or any other games on the PC. I have a pretty good spec laptop with 4gb of RAM etc, so I dont think it is a problem with my laptop

The amount of RAM has nothing to do with the chance of a PC/laptop overheating. It's down to the ability for the graphics card and/or processor to keep cool under the strain it's put under, and if the machine is clogged with dust or not, and if there's sufficient ventilation.

Basically, make sure there's no dust clogging any vents, fans or coating the parts themselves. Also, if your PC is old, there's a chance that older graphics cards/CPUs would be put under more strain and could overheat that way.

Overheating will in all likelihood be a hardware issue, you probably just need to buy a can of dust-off & give your laptop internals a spring clean.
Excuse my painful ignorance, but can you do that just by spraying it in the holes, or do you need to take the case off to do it. I guess taking the case off would do a more thorough job, but does spraying in the holes do anything at all? Or does it just blow the dust further in...?

I don't really know how to computer

I had the same problem, and it probably is because my laptop is pretty old. I've just started saving after and before every game. And I've also bought a cooling mat thing which uses magic crystals or something to absorb the heat on prolonged FMing and makes sure the thing doesn't switch off. See the link below. It has worked for me, and even if it doesn't work for you, it is under a tenner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SDHGTW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Laptops are Not built for gameing

iv sed this a number of times on theses fourms .

Sure you can play games on laptops . but in the main this should only be done for a short time .

you should not be spending hours and hours on a laptop playing games . they just cannot cope with many hours of play . they do not have the fans in place to do it ..

if you are a real pc gamer then buy a pc with good air flow ... and fans .. pure and easy

The amount of RAM has nothing to do with the chance of a PC/laptop overheating. It's down to the ability for the graphics card and/or processor to keep cool under the strain it's put under, and if the machine is clogged with dust or not, and if there's sufficient ventilation.

Basically, make sure there's no dust clogging any vents, fans or coating the parts themselves. Also, if your PC is old, there's a chance that older graphics cards/CPUs would be put under more strain and could overheat that way.

Yeah this, with FM2012 it got to the point where the fan was constantly on throughout the matches and every match was incredibly laggy to the point where I couldn't be bothered to play either. Though my laptop in general was running really slowly, so I thought I'd have a look at the vents and found a thick layer of dust that was obviously preventing the laptop from being properly ventilated. So removed the dust and lo and behold with proper ventilation, it was like a new laptop and FM started to run smoothly again, couldn't believe how simple it was and thank god I did it otherwise I would have gone and spent £500 on a new laptop.

If your laptop is overheating you have a cooling problem, not a software problem.

FM is quite intensive on the CPU, but fundamentally it's not doing anything wrong by using what the game is told it can use. If your system cannot handle the heat build up, either the cooling system is not fit for purpose, you've got dust or something blocking the vents, or there's been a hardware failure of some kind like the fans may not be working at full capacity.

Yeah this, with FM2012 it got to the point where the fan was constantly on throughout the matches and every match was incredibly laggy to the point where I couldn't be bothered to play either. Though my laptop in general was running really slowly, so I thought I'd have a look at the vents and found a thick layer of dust that was obviously preventing the laptop from being properly ventilated. So removed the dust and lo and behold with proper ventilation, it was like a new laptop and FM started to run smoothly again, couldn't believe how simple it was and thank god I did it otherwise I would have gone and spent £500 on a new laptop.

Yeah, most modern hardware will downclock if it gets too hot, which explains the problems you saw. If it gets hot enough to crash, or to automatically shut down that's a very bad sign.

1. Don't use your laptop while on your lap. Place it on a hard, flat surface. Even better if you can use objects to put under it, in order to create more space and air between the lappy and the surface.

2. With some regularity (I do it twice a year), open the machine up and blow away all visible dust with compressed air. Be very carefull about using vacuum cleaners, as the nozzles of these tends to have buildt up significant amounts of static electricity, which can seriously damage the circuits inside your lappy. Be very thorough in between the fine "blades" of the cooling radiators themselves. You may have to use q-tips and a cleaning liquid of some kind, in some places. Isopropanol based ones are good. And don't forget something very important: Clean the fan(s) properly. A tiny amount of gathered dirt sticking to the fan(s) blades will reduce it's efficiency a lot.

3. If this does not help, your laptop's cooling system is crap. Get a new one.

My laptop was overheating too, probably because I only ever use it when I'm in bed (;)) and having it sat on the duvet is bad, mmkay. So I went and bought:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/laptops/laptopaccessories/laptopaccessories/f5l001er.html

Noticed the difference straight away, doesn't get anywhere near as hot as it used too, even after hours of continuous use. Definitely recommend.

It pays to know what you should expect your ambient temperature and your load temperatures to be for your laptop. My laptop with an overworked processor should run up temperatures of max 90* and should automatically shut me down at 120. My fans are kicking at around 6000RPM and my laptop is fairly ventilated. If I run FM with Word, Excel and Powerpoint in teh background with my internet browser up its around 90*. When I am playing the game without all that it runs at 60* which is pretty cool.

I'd love to know if the OP's laptop is an Acer?

Acer are the worst for over heating, never buy one again and FM doesn't play well on laptops, the CPU gets a hammering and that causes more heat and if the fan is tiny you can say adios for a while, real pain.

Archived