Why is my team knocked out of the Europa League?

20aoxhz.png

Results as follows

Elfsborg 1-2 Hannover

Malaga 1-2 Dynamo Kyiv

Hannover 2-2 Malaga

Dynamo Kyiv 3-1 Elfsborg

Dynamo Kyiv 1-0 Hannover

Malaga 1-1 Elfsborg

Hannover 2-2 Dynamo Kyiv

Elfsborg 1-2 Malaga

Hannover 1-0 Elfsborg

Dynamo Kyiv 0-1 Malaga

Malaga 2-2 Hannover

Elfsborg 0-3 Dynamo Kyiv

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings (in descending order):

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
  3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  5. If, after applying criteria 1) to 4) to several teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria 1) to 4) will be reapplied to determine the ranking of these teams;
  6. superior goal difference from all group matches played;
  7. higher number of goals scored from all group matches played;
  8. higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons

55 FC Spartak Moskva RUS 7.950 1.233 20.183 3.450 7.416 40.233

56 Hannover 96 GER 2.537 3.616 3.133 19.050 11.671 40.008

57 AZ Alkmaar NED 1.266 9.883 7.233 18.720 2.285 39.388

58 FC BATE Borisov BLR 6.800 5.675 10.175 6.625 8.850 38.125

59 Celtic FC SCO 7.375 5.533 2.220 5.550 16.860 37.538

60 Club Brugge KV BEL 6.900 11.740 3.920 10.020 4.260 36.840

61 APOEL FC CYP 2.266 7.850 2.125 20.825 2.300 35.366

62 Málaga CF ESP 2.662 3.585 3.642 4.171 20.771 34.833

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

Weird one.

This is a weird one initially, but after thoroughly undergoing the plethora of possibilities and details while taking into consideration both teams potential, projected turnover and goalline technology, it is clear to me that it's.....

your tactics!

I don't deny that. I actually lead 2-0 against Malaga at home with 8 mins to go but only got a draw and I couldn't beat Elfsborg by more than a goal.

My best guess is that maybe it was based on the fact they scored more goals away from home than you did? (They had 5, you had 4)
I spent a while trying to work that part out too, but then noticed the rules only mention away goals versus the team in question, Hannover v Malaga, which was equal.

I think thompe,eugene,wwfan have it covered with riding on the back of other spanish success, i.e. Spain's greater coefficient.

I spent a while trying to work that part out too, but then noticed the rules only mention away goals versus the team in question, Hannover v Malaga, which was equal.

I think welshace has it covered with riding on the back of other spanish success, i.e. Spain's greater coefficient.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too. It's unfortunate, but I guess if you get all the way down to criteria number 8, there aren't many ways left to separate 2 teams.

In Europe, a club's co-efficient is a blend of the club-specific factor and the national co-efficient:

The club coefficient rankings are determined by the results of clubs in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League over the previous five seasons, as well as by the coefficient of the clubs' association. The club coefficient is the sum of the points earned by the club over the five seasons plus 20% of the club's association coefficient.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/calc.html

• SI Staff

The Sorting Rules for the Group Stage of the competition can be seen in game on the Rules screen for the EURO Cup.

It's set so that the fourth sorting rule is 'Away Goals Scored', which looks to be the reason why Málaga finished 2nd as they scored one more away goal than you. However looking at the real life rules this is not one of the sorting rules used and so shouldn't be there, we will now look into making sure these rules match real life.

Archived