Official The Netherlands Thread ; the team with no decent Left back

Micado

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would be funny if Narsingh scores and Hunter ends up with 0 for today.

Yep. He didn't get any decent ball. Too bad. This is exactly what vMarwijk wanted, everything is now right to justify the choise for RvP. Ohh man, Robin better rock this EC, otherwise I will be super pissed.

I honestly think Bert's making a mistake as I mean if you're looking on this season's form (at club level) then Huntelaar is 1st choice and then when you look beyond that and look at NT form it's Huntelaar again. He should incorporate both but if RvP doesn't step up at the Euros (like his anonymity in the WC) and the goals don't come from midfielders, I wonder what Bert will do.

Yeah. But Huntelaar is almost everything the Dutch people dislike about football (not me, I am a huge fan of the Hunter). He lacks in almost every possible technical skill. The only thing he can do is finishing, but he's world class on that aspect.

But why would it be so hard to play them both? Robin had a fantastic WC 06' and EC 08' and he played there in a free role on the wings.

Not fair for Huntelaar. The team has to be the same.
Agreed here
Oh please, even Ron Vlaar scores...
ha ha, still think he is a better option then Bouma, although Bert stated that MAthijsen will be fit for the first game
Yeah. But Huntelaar is almost everything the Dutch people dislike about football (not me, I am a huge fan of the Hunter). He lacks in almost every possible technical skill. The only thing he can do is finishing, but he's world class on that aspect.
Yeah, in most other countries he would be adored..
But why would it be so hard to play them both? Robin had a fantastic WC 06' and EC 08' and he played there in a free role on the wings.

Did RvP had fantastic Euro08 and WC06? Euro08 I would say Robben/Sneijder were fantastic and on WC06 it wasn;t good at all goals from Robben, RvP and RvN...

Robben Huntelaar Narsingh

Afellay van Persie van der Vaart Sneijder

van Bommel de Jong

Kuyt

Stekelenburg

There :D

The lone Sweeper tactic :p

No other option :D
We have other (at this moment probably better) options, but Bert decided not to bring them (Urby, Anita) or are injured (Pieters). Have really no idea why he brought Schaars as LB otpion

The only problem he can face will be nerves and not being able with handling the pressure. Seen his quality's I don't think he's worse than Pieters, seen his attacking skills I maybe even tend to say he is better than Pieters.

• SI Staff

Willems seems allright, but he has (for Holland) only been tested against Bulgaria and Northern Ireland. Not particular great calibre opponents.

Normally Erik Pieters would have played. Van Marwijk now decided to go for Willems, Schaars or Bouma which are all three not particularly logical options. You also have Emanuelson, Anita and maybe even Drenthe. Van Marwijk reckons that they shouldn't be used there because it's not their natural positions. (Coincidentally Schaars hasn't played there since youth and Bouma not for several seasons either)

We have other (at this moment probably better) options, but Bert decided not to bring them (Urby, Anita) or are injured (Pieters). Have really no idea why he brought Schaars as LB otpion

I meant in the 23

^ ok, then yes you are correct.

He, Willems, seems fine, but has not been really tested.... Bulgaria, N. Ireland, B. Munich II Wonder how he will do against the real (no offense) good teams.

We've never had a world-class defence ever. The only world-class defender we had a decade ago was Jaap Stam.

He you are back, were have you been Robbert?

and De Boer.

I personally think that the lineup of

vd sar

reiziger stam de boer <lb>

where <lb> is your choice of numan, bogarde, zenden, cocu, bouma, v bronckhorst

was pretty strong compared to most defenses out there at the time

would take numan, not a bad back 5 I would say

He you are back, were have you been Robbert?

On a jobhunt, that's where I've been! Place I worked had to downscale so I was made redundant, which rather sucks donkey balls in the current climate. So my attention has been diverted to other places than here lately. You can tell me to stop slacking and get my priorities straight now. :D

Wading into the RvP VS KJH debate, I'd prefer RVP - I just think he brings something special to the table. He can go round men and produce something when you don't expect anything to be possible, which is always helpful in a tournament like this.

Saying that, I love Huntelaar.

Stekelenburg is my favourite 'keeper, so for that and the reason that I like the majority of Dutch players and my dad's best mate lives in Holland, they're my second team for the tournament

I feel like RvP rarely shows up at international level, last major tournament there were several times where he needed too many touches and ended up squandering otherwise good chances on goal, I don't know if it was pressure or what, maybe he's matured past that, he certainly seems to have done well at Arsenal the past two years, almost has me convinced that he's a striker.

Bear in mind, at the WC 2010 van Persie was still coming back from a lengthy injury (6 months, if memory serves) so that would account for his lack of form at the tournament. Still, it was frustrating to watch, or rather van Marwijk's insistence on retaining him was frustrating. Chances are he'll do better this time.

On the other hand, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar also brings something different to the table, in that he will always score goals, at any level, without even having to play well. Now that Pippo Inzaghi is 144 years of age (or thereabouts), he's one of the few classic strikers left in the game. Having said that, he's more reliant on good service than van Persie, and with Sneijder not exactly being the most selfless player on the planet (this is an understatement), that might be a disadvantage.

Personally I´d rather see the Hunter upfront, but that only works well if there are players on the wings providing him with balls to put into goal. There was this one match, think it was Bulgaria where v. Marwijk put v. Persie and v.d. Vaart on the wings. Playing like that will render the Hunter uselesss.

When watching v. Persie upfront, I feel like how robbert_o154 put it so eloquently.

Let's hope v. Persie proves us wrong bigtime...

On a jobhunt, that's where I've been! Place I worked had to downscale so I was made redundant, which rather sucks donkey balls in the current climate. So my attention has been diverted to other places than here lately. You can tell me to stop slacking and get my priorities straight now. :D
Hope you found something... my wife had the same 1,5 year ago.....
I feel like RvP rarely shows up at international level, last major tournament there were several times where he needed too many touches and ended up squandering otherwise good chances on goal
Exactly this, I would start with Klaas, as robbert stated, he is the next pippo, but does depends on feeds from other players (passes or shots he can tap in).

So, all nervous? I am going to Watch Ned - Ger in Denmark, (will arrive in Denmark the day after we play them), should be fun I hope..

Second game will be crucial, no matter if we win, draw of loose the first, has enormous pressure, because:

1. It is against Germany
  2. If we lost first game, we must win
  3. If we drew first game we must win
  4. if we won first game we must win (then we are sure of qualification of KO round in normal situation)

Archived