PH71's Journey - featuring The Alphabet Challenge

PaulHartman71

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit I wasn't really expecting to get the job when I applied for it, being in the Jupiler league and especially after third division German side Hannover had rejected me. But I'm not complaining and I certainly wasn't going to turn them down!

haarlen.png?t=1338325933

tableb4.png?t=1338416182

The table before I took over. The target of the season is to reach the play-off's, Haarlem haven't played in the Eredivisie since 2013 so it would be some achievement to get them promoted in my first season in charge. The Jupiler league has a relatively complex play-off system, but essentially you have to win three 2 legged knockout ties to go up once you make the play-off's, some of those games could be against sides from the Eredivisie that are looking to avoid relegation. It definitely makes winning the league a massive incentive compared to say the Championship in England, as with it you take the only automatic promotion spot to the top flight, and the play-off's in Holland appear to be a lot more challenging than in England for example.

The club seemed to need a striker, so with the cash that we had I have signed the league's current top scorer who will be arriving in January. I may have potentially paid slightly over the odds, but I haven't had this kind of cash at any club before and thought sod it might as well!

woudsma.png?t=1338485980

If he keeps scoring he'll be worth it.

true, definitely hoping he will live up to the 180K price tag once he arrives at the club.

That was a quick move to H :)

I did seem to get lucky with Haarlem offering me the job, didn't expect it but guess it was the FM gods being kind to me!

Happy are you Paul?

very Happy at Haarlem at the moment. Happy and Hopeful. Happy and Hopeful.

I'm not hugely surprised you managed to land that job, the 2nd tier in Holland has a pretty poor reputation and even 3 divisions down Hannover are a far larger club. Good luck, particularly at figuring out that league which has some weird promotion rules!

A decent first 8 games in charge has seen Haarlem rise to the play-off places as we're now 9th. It's obviously ridiculously open at the moment, a good run of 5 games could see us reach the top 3, whereas a bad run could see us drop back down to 13th/14th.

18games.png?t=1338539811

Jupiler league has this weird system where you qualify for play-off's based on performance in each "period" of the season, with leftover spaces going to teams at the end of the season. It's kind of confusing to explain but does seem to make sense if you're playing in the division.

He scored the winner on his debut :cool:

Elsewhere in the league, 10 points from 6 games isn't great form for a side that wants to reach the play-off's, it's looking very tight at the moment but hopefully we can keep up a decent amount of form for the rest of the season.

gameman.png?t=1338723839

Archived