The Welsh Barcelona: Carmarthen Town

JackJCFC

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Champions League

Semi Final

Man United (A) 0-2. A poor game for us. We started well until they scored in the 11th minute. From then on they dominated, we were lucky not to concede a lot more goals. The 2nd goal came in the 89th minute and is a bit of a killer for the 2nd leg.

Man United (H) 2-1. A win but not enough. Paolacchi put us ahead after 5 minutes and we played well up until United scored just before half time. This meant that we needed 3 more goals. I changed to 4-3-3 at half time and we scored straight away and continued to create chances in the second half but we just couldn’t score. The poor away performance cost us, which is disapointing as we’ve beaten United a few times in the group stage and had the better head to head record.

Carmarthen 2033/2034

League

Predicted: 1st

Finished: 1st

It took us a while to get first place after a slow start but by the 22 game split we had a 20 point lead over Bangor City in 2nd place. Port Talbot and TNS were close behind in 3rd and 4th respectively.

We won the league after 25 games. Bangor, Port Talbot and TNS were all in the running for 2nd place on the final day and it was Bangor City who managed to take it. Port Talbot, TNS and Neath took the Euro Cup places.

League Table

Cups

Welsh Cup

Loosemores Cup

Champions League

Transfers

Damien Humeau CDM: young midfielder signed on a free. Has good potentially and provides good backup in league games.

Fernando Gomes RB CB: 20 year old signed on a free, signed as a 2nd choice RB and filled in well in league games aswell as in Europe.

Daniel Rodriguez ST AMR: 25 years old, very fast and technical player, didn’t do aswell as I expected but I think he’ll improve next year.

Yao Ali CDM: Another young CDM signed for free with even better potential that Humeau, done very well when he played and looks set to become a great player.

Jose Gregorio Morales CDM: Young quick CDM signed for the bargain price of £350k, replaces Diallo who left for £2.5million. Done well in his first half season and can expect first team football next year.

Iyad Ali CAM ST: The best player on my Iraq team, he was rotting in the reserves of a rubbish Swedish team so I bought him to give hi fitness and see if my facilities can make him better. Played a few games and done alright although he tore apart the reserve league.

Sold £17million worth of players this year so overall a good profit. Got rid of Fernandez as he didn’t fit my European formation so was a waste of space, the £8.5million was a tidy profit in the 3 years I had him.

Transfers

Finances

Training facilities are also being upgraded for £2.5million.

We made around £13million profit in transfers this year which was a big boost, as well as European football.

We gave out £4million at the end of the season to club shareholders which is a bit annoying.

Finances

Wales

The National team is ranked 130th and did not qualify for the World Cup. They are yet to being qualification for the euros.

Llanelli lost to Dynamo Kyiv in the Champions league best placed playoff 3rd Q round. They were then beaten in the 4th Q round of the Euro cup by Anderlecht.

Bangor City lost in the 3rd Q round to a Bulgarian team.

Port Talbot went out in the 2nd Q round to a team from Azerbaijan which is disgraceful.

TNS lost to Wisla in the 4th Q round of the Euro cup.

The WPL dropped 3 places to 16th in Europe. Carmarthen moved up 3 places to 5th best team in Europe. Qualification places stay the same.

Welsh young player of the year: Colin Blain (Carmarthen)

Welsh footballer of the year: Kyle Bowen (Llanelli)

WPL Player of the year: Thomas Robertson (Carmarthen)

WPL Young Player of the year: Martyn Jones (Carmarthen)

Manager of the year: Me

Team of the year

Iraq

Having failed to qualify for the Asian Cup and generally becoming quite bored of managing them, i'm resigning as manager after around 18 months in charge.

I have a few questions after having played a few seasons with Aberystwyth. How are you getting all those South American players? I have tried to sign a few now but they can not get a work permit. And how are you getting all those great youth prospects? I do not get any. How good is your youth recruitment? It is also impressive that you have hold on to a player like Huw Hughes. I can not hold on to my best players.

I have a few questions after having played a few seasons with Aberystwyth. How are you getting all those South American players? I have tried to sign a few now but they can not get a work permit. And how are you getting all those great youth prospects? I do not get any. How good is your youth recruitment? It is also impressive that you have hold on to a player like Huw Hughes. I can not hold on to my best players.

Generally speaking i can only sign South American players who have dual european nationality, although, in the last couple of years i have been able to sign a couple without that, proably due to their high CA or PA, whichever it is. What i done is sent around 3 scouts to South America then when the players come in, filter the ones who have european nationality then take your pick.

I guess the youth players is in part luck, i got my junior coaching to the max level pretty fast (about 8 years) and my facilities are all state of the art. I've only been able to improve youth recruitment once since i started so its still 'fairly basic'. From what i've read, this means that players PA is quite low. I'd say that i only get a future first team player once over 4 or 5 years, although i do sign any youth players with potential (1-2.5 star) for my reserves and 3 or 4 years later they usually move to another WPL team.

I guess holding on to Huw Hughes is a bit of luck, he wasn't that demanding in terms of wages when i renew his contract, i suppose his loyalty rating might also play a part. What has helped in keeping players like him is that i've been consistantly improving year on year so theres no real need for him to leave as the club becomes bigger and bigger. It's also important to give them 5 year contracts. If your stuggling to keep your best players try to max out other stuff such as signing on fee, agents fee, appearance fee etc which can help. If not then change your budget to increase your wage bill, that way you can offer players more money, but obviously have less for transfers.

Generally speaking i can only sign South American players who have dual european nationality, although, in the last couple of years i have been able to sign a couple without that, proably due to their high CA or PA, whichever it is. What i done is sent around 3 scouts to South America then when the players come in, filter the ones who have european nationality then take your pick.

I guess the youth players is in part luck, i got my junior coaching to the max level pretty fast (about 8 years) and my facilities are all state of the art. I've only been able to improve youth recruitment once since i started so its still 'fairly basic'. From what i've read, this means that players PA is quite low. I'd say that i only get a future first team player once over 4 or 5 years, although i do sign any youth players with potential (1-2.5 star) for my reserves and 3 or 4 years later they usually move to another WPL team.

I guess holding on to Huw Hughes is a bit of luck, he wasn't that demanding in terms of wages when i renew his contract, i suppose his loyalty rating might also play a part. What has helped in keeping players like him is that i've been consistantly improving year on year so theres no real need for him to leave as the club becomes bigger and bigger. It's also important to give them 5 year contracts. If your stuggling to keep your best players try to max out other stuff such as signing on fee, agents fee, appearance fee etc which can help. If not then change your budget to increase your wage bill, that way you can offer players more money, but obviously have less for transfers.

I think, from my own experience, a lot of South American players only get Work Permits on appeal.

I think, from my own experience, a lot of South American players only get Work Permits on appeal.

Yeah i've found that happens with the better players. You can always tell from the scout reports whether they'll get a permit through appeal or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I was considering starting a new save as a Welsh Premier League team, and this thread has got me in the mood for it. I'm torn between Bangor, TNS, Neath, and Carmarthen. You've done a great job with Carmarthen. Are you still playing this save?

I was considering starting a new save as a Welsh Premier League team, and this thread has got me in the mood for it. I'm torn between Bangor, TNS, Neath, and Carmarthen. You've done a great job with Carmarthen. Are you still playing this save?

Had a bit of a break from this save to try out other things, will probably go back to it after my exams next week though.

Out of those teams Carmarthen would be the hardest as they aren't as good as the others who i think are all in europe at the start. However, they have less expectation so it's easier as you build a team. It's not hard to pick up a few good players and be challenging for the title. You should definitly pick Carmarthen :p

I know this is a stupid reason to choose a certain team, but I like the screen colours when playing as Carmarthen. I have to stare at that screen for hours, and if I don't like the look of it due to a terrible combination of colours, I get bored with the save quickly. Strange I know...

You've done some great things with Carmarthen, and I hope I can do half of what you've done. I'm going to make some kits before I start the save though.

How come it's so slow then? Lack o memory or something I guess?

A few season in i added league like the French league down about 4 levels. I only kept it a few seasons but obviously most of the players stay on the database and over time just makes it slower and slower. A good example is the player search tool, it takes about 1 or 2 minutes to load theres that many players. It's not impossible for me to carry on but it would take some serious patience :D

Champions League

Group Stage

CSKA (A): 0-2. We dominated the game and goals from Eder and Elliot in the 2nd half gave us the win.

AC Milan (H): 1-0. Controlled the match but it was a 2nd half penalty from Eder that gave us the win.

Sporting (A): 1-0. Poor performance from us, never really looked like threatening and there were no stand out performances, Sporting got the winner towards the end.

Table

It took me 3 hours to do the 2 months in which these games are played so updates and progress is going to be very slow as this isnt my only save at the moment.

A few season in i added league like the French league down about 4 levels. I only kept it a few seasons but obviously most of the players stay on the database and over time just makes it slower and slower. A good example is the player search tool, it takes about 1 or 2 minutes to load theres that many players. It's not impossible for me to carry on but it would take some serious patience :D

Yeah, the whole add/remove is great but still a little buggy. Too bad.

I've had the urge to come back to this recently and downloaded FMRTE to try and solve my speed problems. Ive got rid of around 50,000 players of low CA/PA so i hope that this speeds up the game so i can carry on. Ill let you know how i get on.

Group Stage

Sporting (H): 2-0. After a poor first half, Zorica popped up to score 2 goals in the second to give us an important 3 points.

CSKA Moscow (H): 2-0. Dominated the match, Paolacci put us ahead early on before Elliot scored a 2nd early in the 2nd half. With this win we have qualified in 1st place.

AC Milan (A): 0-3. Paolacci scored twice in the first half to put us ahead whilst Petrovic scored in the 2nd half to give us a great win in our final group game.

Table

A straightforward group for us to send us to the knockout rounds, was shocked to see that AC Milan didnt qualify.

I'm about to start a save with the same team as you, after about 30 seasons is it possible to get top players from the premier league to sign for you?

I don't tend to buy players from the Premier league or other top divisions as i find they cost too much money and/or demand wages that are too high. I have a large worldwide scouting network instead, picking players up on the cheap as it allows me to make a profit if i sell them on. I would imagine that players from the PL would be interesting in coming if i bidded but my rep is still only National so the best one probably wouldn't.

Good Luck in your save :thup:

Nice job in the cup :)
Excellent start to the CL campaign,Good luck in the knockout stages.
Excellent group performance.

Cheers guys, i'm hoping to better last season and make it to my first Champions League final this year. News from the First Knockout Round coming soon...

First Knockout Round

PSG (A): 0-1. Dominated the game but it looked to be heading for a 0-0 draw until we got a penalty in the 95th minute and Gaccione slotted it home to grab an important away goal. The funny thing is Gaccione is leaving on a free transfer at the end of the season, to PSG.

PSG (H): 3-0. Gaccione put us ahead in a first half we dominated. PSG then had a man sent off with around 20 minutes left which allowed Rodriguez to come off the bench to grab a goal, Zorica then rounded the game off with a 3rd.

Quarter Final

In the QF’s I was drawn against the team who came 2nd in our group, I knew they were dangerous as they did manage to beat us 1-0 when we visited them back then.

Sporting (H): 2-1. We took an early lead through Zorica but a defensive mistake allowed Sporting to equalise against the run of play. After this Sporting came into the game but Elliot scored in the 2nd half to give us the win.

Sporting (A): 1-2. The first half was pretty even with Sporting taking the lead after an own goal. After a poor start to the second half I bought on Paolacci from the bench and he repaid me with 2 goals, in between which Sporting had a striker sent off.

Semi Final

Arsenal (A): 3-0. Suicide. We gave away 2 penalties in the first half with Elliot and Djira the people giving them away, getting booked and as a result missing the next match. We continued to be ill disciplined in the 2nd half, I pushed forwards slightly in search of an away goal which was needed for hope in the 2nd leg but we conceded another which virtually ended hope of making the final.

Arsenal (H): 2-1. Went for a more attacking 4-3-3 formation this time in an all out effort to win but any lingering hopes were dashed when Arsenal scored from a 2nd minute corner. They failed to register a shot after that and had we taken our chances we might have got the 5 goals we needed, instead we got just the 2. The icing on the cake was having a man sent off in the final few minutes.

Bit annoyed to go out like i did but on reflection this is the 2nd season in a row we've made the semis so hopefully we can make it 3rd time lucky next year!

Carmarthen 2034/35

League

Predicted: 1st

Finished: 1st

We won the first 22 games of the season until the league split and had already qualified for the EURO Cup. Bangor City were in a clear 2nd with Port Talbot just about in 3rd.

In the end we finished with a perfect season, winning every match with relative ease. Bangor City took 2nd place and the other Champions League spot. Port Talbot took the best EURO Cup position whilst Neath and Llanelli took the other. One of the biggest shocks this season was TNS coming in the bottom 6, the first time they’ve failed to be top 3 in 18 years.

League Table

Cups

Welsh Cup

Loosemores Cup

Europe

Made it to the semi finals once more by lost 4-2 to Arsenal.

Transfers

Leandro Archubi GK: Signed initially as a backup keeper for £200k but it turns out he wasn’t needed, will be shipping him off whenever I can.

Fritz Bonmeier ST AMR: 19 year old with great all round ability signed for free. Only played league games but done well for his first season, I see him more as a winger than a striker.

Mohammed Emman GK: Signed for £3million which is probably a bit too much for a backup keeper but he had to play and fill in for the first 2 months of the season when first choice GK was out and he done so competently.

Rafael ST AMC: 21 year old Barca reject signed for free, not sure how to play this guy yet, played mostly as an AMC from the bench but he didn’t really do well there. Will try to loan him out next year as I cant really find room for him in the team. Labelled the next Llorente.

I’m losing Gaccione and Zorica on free transfers as I couldn’t get them to sign new deals, I could have sold them in January but I wanted to keep them for the Champions league run at the end of the season. Salginoglu’s contract was also coming to end but I sold him in January he wasn’t a European starter.

Transfers

Finances

We have a new minor sponsorship, it was previously worth 25k per year but its now 18k per year for 4 years.

Our finances in general remain secure with around £18million in the bank, our training facilities have just been upgraded to the max with our youth already been done.

I’ve also had the news at the end of the season that my chairman is thinking about selling the club, although nothing has come of that as of yet.

Finances

Wales

The National team made it into the top 100 earlier in the season but currently sit ranked 114th. After 3 games of Euro qualification, they are bottom with just the 1 point. They narrowly missed out on winning the 4 Nations, losing on goal difference to Ireland.

TNS lost 5-2 in the 2nd Q round of the Euro Cup.

Neath went out in the 3rd Q round to Club Brugges.

Bangor City went out the Champions league Champions playoff to Rapid Wien and lost in the Euro Cup 4th Q round to Trabzonspor.

Port Talbot went out in the 4th Q round of the Euro Cup to Braga.

The WPL has moved up 5 places to 11th in Europe, 1 place off 3 ½ stars. Carmarthen moved up 1 places to 4th best team in Europe. Qualification places stay the same.

Welsh young player of the year: Martyn Jones (Carmarthen)

Welsh footballer of the year: Toby Button (Bangor City)

WPL Player of the year: Grant Elliot (Carmarthen)

WPL Young Player of the year: Jaime Fowler (Carmarthen)

Manager of the year: Me

Team of the year

I've been taken over by a guy called Fernando, he's put £19million straight into the club so our finances now sit at £40million which is great for us. However he has said he wants to appoint a new manager, i just hope he doesnt sack me!

I'd be amazed if he did.

If he does ill just add manager and carry on, not gonna let him spoil my work!

I don't think you are that far away from a final spot as for the domestic side of things,just the normal for you now :D

I'm just waiting for the CL so i can take the club to the next level. Indeed, the league is pretty much competitive friendlies to keep me going for europe :D

The Welsh job has become available again after the team finished bottom of the EURO qualification group. I applied for the job and got it so im now in my 2nd stint as Wales manager.

They are currently ranked 85th which is the highest in years but i expect them to go down when the next updated. We've got a pretty tough group for World Cup qualifying so im not expecting to make it to the tournament although i do feel as though the quality in the team is better than the last time i was here.

I have a couple of friendlies next month so i'll update the National team once those are over.

Group Stage

Zenit (A): 1-3. Both sides scored a goal in the first 3 minutes and the half remained even throughout. We were able to take the lead straight after half time and eventually put the game to bed with a 3rd late on, with Elliot bagging his 2nd goal.

Inter (H): 3-0. Paolacci put us ahead in the first half where we were 2nd best. Elliot then doubled the lead in the second half before Ferreras scored a 3rd in injury time.

APOEL (A): 0-3. After a poor first half Elliot scored a brace and Hughes a late goal to give us the 3 points.

Table

Archived