The Welsh Barcelona: Carmarthen Town

JackJCFC

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oddt.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just qualified for the league cup final and for some strange reason its going to be played at my stadium, the only problem being it isnt finished until October 2036 so clearly a bug! Nice to have home advantage for the final though, feel like Bayern Munich :p Strange that the finals in a 7,000 seater too.

Wales

My first game in charge was a friendly against Romania, ranked 9th in the world. I adopted the 5-3-2 formation, the same I use in Europe for Carmarthen. We held out for around 30 minutes but an hour in we were 2-0 down. After a few subs we started playing better and Harrington managed to get his first Wales goal on his 4th cap. In the end we lost 2-1 but there we certainly positives to be had, especially as we were missing out best GK and CB.

Our next game was against Serbia, ranked 30th in the world. Again we lined up with 5-3-2, the first half was pretty even between the two sides, however, Serbia took the lead on the 57th minute only for sub Tristan Cook to score his first Wales goal on his 3rd cap. Overall a great result for us and something to build on next year.

2035 Results

Next year we start World Cup qualification with the expectation to 'be competitive'. From what i've seen in these 2 friendlies im confident on not coming last! I'm definitly more excited to be manager than i was last time, we have some quality players with us now, we're just lacking in defence somewhat.

Group Stage

APOEL (H): 1-1. We took the lead through Elliot but Apoel equalised shortly after. We had alot of chances to score more but proved wasteful. Apoel almost stole the 3 points near the end but sent their penalty wide.

Zenit (H): 2-2. Talk about lucky! We only had 4 available defenders due to internationals so I was forced to play a more attacking formation than my usual 5-3-2. Defensively we were all over the place, conceding twice within 30 minutes. We did play better in the 2nd half but the game looked out of sight until Zenit got 2 own goals in the last 5 minutes to give us a point!

Inter (A): 0-5. What a game! We took our chances in this one, Rodriguez put us ahead early on, with Elliot making it 2 before halftime. Just after half time Elliot added his 2nd and Inter scored an own goal not long after. Robertson rounded off the match with an 80th minute penalty to seal top spot.

Table

Wow, just read through! Takes so long time to get a league up through the stars! Wonder how much quicker that would happen with 2 people dragging the Welsh league up?

Would probably be alot easier after both teams got to a decent standard if they both made it to the CL group stages etc. There was a guy a month or 2 back who was doing a network game with 2 people in Wales but haven't seen anything new on that in a while now.

Great jobin the Cup!! That Inter win is class :thup:

Indeed, was proud of that, we needed to avoid defeat to top the group aswell. Elliot has been smashing them in so far in Europe, just hope he can continue in the group stages.

Would probably be alot easier after both teams got to a decent standard if they both made it to the CL group stages etc. There was a guy a month or 2 back who was doing a network game with 2 people in Wales but haven't seen anything new on that in a while now.

Yup, that would probably help no end after 3 or 4 years! Interesting for sure!

Fantastic result in Milan.
Excellent result against Inter,lets hope you can carry on like that.

Also hope you don't end up doing a Bayern in the final ;)

Great win against Inter :D 5-0 away, I bet you were over the moon :D

Indeed the Inter result took me by surprise, i was expecting at best a tight game winning by 1 or 2 goals. I just hope i can take that sort of form into the knockouts which we don't always do.

First Knockout Round

Lyon (A): 0-2. We came straight out of the blocks with Paolacci getting an away goal in 55 seconds. We dominated the rest of the first half but couldn’t find the net. Lyon were stronger in the 2nd half but we defended well and Elliot made sure of the win with a goal on the hour mark.

Lyon (H): 0-0. Lyon started strongly but we were able to ride that out and take hold of the game ourselves. Both sides had good chances but in the end it was straightforward progression into the next round.

Wales

Friendly

England (A): 0-0. Our first match of the year was against England, ranked 11th in the world. We were dominated for the whole match, having only 2 shots, however, our defence remained solid and we kept them out for a respectable 0-0 draw.

Our next schedules match is France in September but we should have a friendly or two in the summer.

Quarter Final

In the next round we drew Bayern who we had not been in 8 previous attempts.

Bayern (A): 0-0. Bayern were the better team in the first half and we were the better in the second half. Overall it was a pretty dull game that means we have to win the 2nd leg.

Bayern (H): 4-0. A great win for us, Morales put us ahead after 5 minutes with a 30 yarder. Paolacci then got a brace before half time to put us comfortably 3-0 up. We continued our dominance in the 2nd half as Elliot added a 4th to kill off any chance of a Bayern comeback. We reach the semi finals for the 3rd year in a row!

Wow,continuing with the excellent performances,sensational victory against Bayern as well,good luck in the semis.Also an encouraging draw against England,hopefully you will eventually have midfielders and strikers to match the quality of your defence.

Wow,continuing with the excellent performances,sensational victory against Bayern as well,good luck in the semis.Also an encouraging draw against England,hopefully you will eventually have midfielders and strikers to match the quality of your defence.

Defence is the weakest part of the Wales squad its just my tactics are very hard to break down but the England result has definitely given me confidence going into the games against France and Holland.

Great result against Bayern!

That result was a massive relief, they'd been a bit of a bogey team for me until then. I've got Arsenal next who sent me out a year or 2 back so i have a chance of revenge!

Semi Final

Arsenal (H): 1-0. A good performance from us, we dominated the first half but their keeper made some great saves to keep thing level. Arsenal done well at the start of the 2nd half but we soon took control again with Elliot popping up towards the end to give us a 1-0 win, best of all we didn’t concede any away goals.

Arsenal (A): 2-0. We bottled it. Arsenal were all over us in the first half, so much so we only had 22% possession and no shots. They got 2 goals at the end of the first half which was a massive blow. The second half wasn’t much different with our keeper keeping us in it with some great saves including a penalty. We didn’t register a shot until the 89th minute, don’t know why we played like this, the formation team talk etc was the same as always.

Once again so close to the final!

I seem to be making a habit of it! That's twice we've thrown the semi-final away when we go to Arsenal's ground.I think we're just cursed there, really hope to avoid them next season.

Carmarthen 2035/36

League

Predicted: 1st

Finished: 1st

We won were unbeaten in our first 22 games. When the league split, Port Talbot were in a clear 2nd with Bangor in 3rd.

Our first defeat came after 24 games to Bangor City in which we lost 3-2, although we had a weak team out as it was days before a champions league match. We won the league after the next match, a 2-0 win over TNS. In doing so I became the most successful manager ever. Bangor City took the other Champions league place whilst TNS came 3rd to take the best Euro Cup place. Port Talbot and Llanelli were the other teams to make the Euro Cup.

League Table

Cups

Welsh Cup

Loosemores Cup

Europe

Made it to the semi-finals for the 3rd year in a row but ended up going out to Arsenal for the 2nd year in a row after bottling the away leg.

Elliot won golden boot, came 3rd in goal of the tournament and was in the dream team.

Transfers

Paulo Rodriguez LB CB: 17 year old signed for £1.1million, long term player and future CB for our team, has potential to be a top player and played 25 games this season with a rating of 7.22.

Silvio Boban AMC AMR RM CM: Versatile 18 year old, technically very good but slightly lacking physically, played league and cup games this year with a rating of 7 in 23 matches.

Imanol ST: 20 year old Spanish striker, has great technical and mental stats but slightly lacking pace, has good potential and got 12 goals in 22 games this season.

Giannis Labropolous CB: 28 year old signed on a free near the end of the season, a good backup but will never be more than that.

Transfers

Finances

We were taken over near the beginning of the season, he invested £19 million of his own money which took us up to around £40million in the bank. Month to month we were losing around £1million without prize money due to the ever increasing wage bill. Luckily we've moved to our new 7,000 seater stadium so that should help the finances slightly.

Youth Facilities were downgraded so we are upgrading them again at a cost of £2.7million.

£10million is being paid out to shareholders which is quite annoying.

We have a new kit sponsor worth £300k per year, 150k down on the one before and 500k the one before that so we’re going backwards in this area.

Finances

Wales

I’m now the manager of the national team after they failed to qualify for the Euro’s. The team is currently ranked 98th in the world.

Llanelli lost 3rd Q round of the Euro Cup.

Neath went out in the 2nd Q round to Glentoran.

Bangor City went out the Champions league Champions playoff to Besiktas and lost in the Euro Cup 4th Q round to Villareal.

Port Talbot went out in the 4th Q round of the Euro Cup to Liverpool.

The WPL has dropped 4 places to 15th in Europe. Carmarthen moved up 1 place to 3rd best team in Europe. Qualification places stay the same.

Welsh young player of the year: Colin Blain (Carmarthen)

Welsh footballer of the year: Huw Hughes (Carmarthen)

WPL Player of the year: Damien Humeau (Carmarthen)

WPL Young Player of the year: Jaime Fowler (Carmarthen)

Manager of the year: Me

Team of the year

Grrr...Arsenal :mad:

A 7 000 capacity stadium? Gotta be still small for you, no?

I've just checked again and its 6,550. Yeah i thought that was pretty small tbh seeing as well pretty much sold out every game last year in a 3500 capacity. This was planned a few years ago when attendances were slightly lower though. Hopefully i can get it expanded in time to around 15,000 at least.

Was a good season once again domestically,you are getting closer to a final,I can feel it!If it helps make you feel better,Arsenal are the same for me :mad:

I doubt Sola struggles to score against anyone, nevermind an Arsenal defence! :p

Wales

Friendly

FYR Macedonia (A): 1-0. Our only summer friendly was against 68th rank, Macedonia. We had a poor first half, conceding early on. After a few half time changes we looked better and created a lot more chances, unfortunately we were wasteful infront of goal and fell to a disappointing defeat.

Although lower ranked than them, I was expecting at least a draw from the match, its bound to hurt our rank.

Great thread, inspiration for our network game! Wales National team is a hard challenge for anyone tho!

Pretty sure you going to get that Champions League within the next couple of years and definately before 2040!!

I hope to have the CL before 2040, it would also be nice to qualify for a major tournament with Wales before 2050, thats my aim anyway.

Wales

World Cup Qualifying

Squad News: We were missing our best Centre back Newman who’s out for 2 months, as well as this our 2nd best CB Windsor was also injured. I dropped captain Iestyn Jones as I felt he didn’t fit into my formation and hadn’t played well for the national team recently.

Our rank had dropped to 125th since our last match.

Team

France (H) Ranked 4th: 0-3. An expected defeat, we conceded early on through an own goal and again shortly after from a penalty. This made the game an impossible task, France dominated but we held them out until they scored a 3rd late on.

Iceland (A) Ranked 78th: 4-0. An awful match for us, we conceded twice from corners in the first half. We went more attacking in the 2nd half and got caught on the counter for a 3rd and conceded from a corner again for the 4th. A terrible result which marks the start of a terrible World Cup qualifying campaign.

Table

Wales

World Cup Qualifying

Squad News: Newman is still injured, Windsor and Captain Jones both return to the 23 man squad. In place of young midfielder Martyn Jones who was out injured and defender Stuart Johnson.

We had gone up to 123rd since our last match.

Holland (A) Ranked 3rd: 5-0. Think I was wrong about the quality in the team. Absolutely shocking and I see no way of changing it. We’re unlucky we have the 3rd and 4th best teams in the world in our group but that doesn’t excuse performances like this, morale is rock bottom now which doesn’t help.

Denmark (H) Ranked 38th:1-2. Went with a 4-3-3 in the hope of being more attacking and it was working until Denmark scored with their first shot against the run of play after 20 minutes. We continued in our attack and Blain managed to equalise before half time. Denmark came out strong in the 2nd half and scored in the 91st minute which i was really gutted about, if im not careful I can see myself being sacked very soon.

Table

Group Stage

Malaga (H): 3-1. We had a poor first half, going 1-0 down but an Elliot hat-trick in the 2nd half got us the 3 points.

Marseille (A): 2-1. We dominated the first half but didn’t score, we took the lead on the 57th minute but gave away a penalty a few minutes later. Once this was scored Marseille took control of the game and scored a 2nd with 15 minute left.

Sparta Prague (A): 1-0. Played 4-3-3 instead of the usual 5-3-2 and it back fired. We dominated the match but very wasteful infront of goal. We’ve had a terrible start to the group stage which leaves us with a battle to qualify.

Table

Unlucky in the Champions League last season, but you're getting closer! Pity Wales have to suck so much internationally, have you had any good prospects come through?

Most of the team has come through my adadamy but there are a few decent players that have come through Cardiff or Swansea. Our best defender Newman came through Man United.

Wales

Friendly

Squad News: Newman is back in the squad after injury. I was also able to call up LB Ashley Williams who has an England non competitive cap, he’s pretty amazing quality for Wales so I’m delighted to have stolen him. I dropped star striker Peter Richards after some awful performances, something which the media agreed on. Our best 2 GK’s were out injured.

South Korea(A) Ranked 58th: 4-1. Veteran Hughes put us ahead after 25 minutes but Korea got 2 goals before half time to take the lead, one being an own goal. They then dominated the 2nd half, scoring twice more.

Luxembourg (A) Ranked 192nd: 0-8. A big win as expected, included a hat-trick for Tristan Cook and 2 goals for Blain. Pleased with the result as it’ll boost morale which should help for next years matches.

Not a great year for us overall, need to improve next year to stay in the job.

Results.

Bad luck against Arsenal, but still, getting to the semis three times is a great achievement. You have that final appearance soon, no doubt!
That's a tight group stage table. At least you've got the goal difference lead.

Yeah group is very tight, im not even sure we'll qualify. Defensively we are really bad this year, i dont see us make the semi's for sure.

Sparta Prague (H): 2-1. It’s a win but a nervy one at that. Goals from Adriano and Elliot out us ahead but Sparta got one back just before half time. We had over 20 shots but was wasteful once again which led to a rather nervy finish in a must win game.

Malaga (A): 2-0. An equal game but we were wasteful again, Paolacci particularly poor. Malaga took the lead in the first half and got a 2nd on the break neat the end. This result means Sparta have to beat Malaga and we have to beat Marseille to qualify.

Marseille (H): 1-1. We conceded straight away but equalised just before half time. We went down to 10 men after half time but couldn’t find a winner, meaning we drop down to the Euro Cup.

Table

Really wasn’t expecting that from what was a straightforward group, our worst performance in years. Defensively we were awful and our key attacking players just didn’t perform. I need to win the Euro Cup now to counteract the negative effect this will have on Welsh football.

Wales

Friendly

Squad News: Same squad as always pretty much, striker Peter Richards was called back up but that’s pretty much it.

Belgium (A) Ranked 75th: 4-0. We had a poor first half, conceding 2 sloppy goals. We improved after half time but conceded 2 goals again in the last 15 minutes. Defender Ellis had a particularly poor game and ill be dropping him.

We’re currently ranked 118th in the world.

Euro Cup

First Knockout Round

Braga (A): 0-3. A good game from us, Bonimeier put us ahead in the first half, Petrovic doubled the lead from a corner in the 2nd half before Blain came off the bench to grab a 3rd late on.

Braga (H): 3-0. Hughes put us ahead early on, we controlled the game in terms of chances and Blain came off the bench to score a brace in the final 15 minutes.

Archived