SRL88's FM12 Journeyman Career

SRL88

So close to Plymouth.

In the terms of the league of course, in Geography terms you're no where near. 375odd miles anyway.

375.6 according to the AA Route Planner :D ha.

A good month there, should never be disappointed with just the 1 loss! 1 point of automatic promotion must be a good feeling that late into the season. :)

Its going to be close all the way to the end of the season. There will be a few squeeky bum moments ha.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - March 2016 - Darlington FC

League Two

darlingtonfixturesfixtu.png

npowerleague2overviewst.png

What a frustrating bloody month!!!! Really, really annoying defeats against Aldershot and Dagenham who sit so close to the relegation zone, but annoyed me most were the back-to-back draws. We conceded a late goal against Wycombe and very, very late goals against MK Dons and Mansfield to leave me thinking where the heck is our next win going to come from!!! Luckily enough, and I mean luckily...we got our just rewards from previous games by scoring a pretty late, and probably undeserved winner of our own against high flying Burton which installed some much needed confidence in the side to leave us with every chance of automatic promotion.

Also, poor Pompey :(.

Just catching up here so i'm a bit late but congrats on getting into the football league!

Good luck in getting back to back promotions, looks like a nervy end to the season coming up.

Cheers mate :thup:.

Things would be much brighter if it wasnt for the string of draws thanks to late goals conceded, but Its going to be tense, especially with Burton-Northampton seperated by just 6pts.

Wow,that's going to be a close finish,best of luck in the end of season run :D

As for the City result,that's what I would define as a typical City moment :lol:

Cheers :thup:. Ive got that arse clenching feeling going on during games now. I am getting back into the stage where Im actually jumping up celebrating a goal when we score now. Havent felt that for some time.

Loved seeing the City score come through :).

darlingtonfixturesfixtuc.png

They are my remaining league fixtures. Ive just beat Pompey 2-1 to leave me 1pt off the automatic promotion spots, 6pts ahead of any team outside the play-offs. You can use the league table from my last update to get a slight judgement as to where clubs are in the league.....and its going to be verrrrrrrry tense!!!

Love the update SRL88.

As I said in the GPTG OTF thread, you've really inspired me to start a similar save once my Chelsea save runs out of steam.

God luck with your promotion chase in the last five games. :thup:

Cheers Tom. Much appreciated :thup:.

I am about to give the update for the final games of the season!!!!!

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - April/May 2016 - Darlington FC

League Two

darlingtonfixturesfixtuy.png

npowerleague2overviewst.png

WOW, just WOW!!!!! :D. I cant actually believe it. Back-to-back promotions has me beaming. We entered the final stretch of games with every chance of promotion and got off to the best possible start with a hard fought victory away to already relegated Portsmouth. We followed this up with a tough draw away to Yeovil. What followed was magic. Our next game against promotion chasing Plymoth showed that we were more than up for the test as we absolutely destroyed them with Filipe Carvalhinho scoring four. A trip to Merseyside followed with us sitting one point behind Cheltenham with 3 games to go. We battered Accrington in the first half but went in at the break at 1-1. In the second half though, we got the decsive goal to grab a 2-1 win and effectively seal our play-off spot and Carvalhinho once again breaking more records.

We followed this up with a drab draw against Oxford. We went into the final game of the season sitting in the final promotion spot, but level on points with Cheltenham and one point ahead of Plymouth......who coincidentley were playing eachother on the final day of the season at Home Park. We went to Newport with me banking on them drawing as I wasnt the most confident going into the game, but we done our job. We went there and took control for most of the game and walked away with that vital win which sealed our promotion, much to the delight of our fans and board.

stevenlongstaffnewsinbo.png

So I have been offered to take up the post at St.James Park. Its on higher wages with a lot higher wage budget. They have just finished 19th in League 1 to. I have delayed an extension to my Darlington contract which is on the same wages (£900 p/w) but dont quite know the wage/transfer budget as of yet.

Do you guys think I should take the post at Exeter, or give Darlington one more year?

Absolutely brilliant first season for you in the Football League.

Good luck when you get the League 1 season underway, (if indeed you are still in charge of Darlo by then), because I think you may need it.

Cheers Tom :thup:.

Just been offered the Exeter job (post #322) so Im not sure what to do....but if I stay I will definitely need a lot of good luck gestures ha.

Nice to see you were one of the teams who came out on top in the end of the season run,congrats on promotion :D

Cheers dude :thup:.

I'd go for Exeter personally, then again they have grown on me recently. Do they still have their decent key players?

This is the current squad. Im not exactly up to date with their players :lol:.

I'd probably go.

I have delayed the decision for a week and will make the decision between both jobs then.

I'm surprised your side hasn't gone into administration yet :D Sterling work though, and good luck for the conclusion to the season.

Haha. The finances have improved vastly over the last two seasons. They were helped loads with two trips to Wembley in two seasons.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Review - 2015/16 - Darlington FC

League Two - Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 (3rd - Promoted)

An excellent season for us. We have achieved back-to-back promotions which is an unbelievable achievement for the club and we will now be plying our trade in League 1. We carried our form and confidence from last season and although our positions were up and down, in the New Year we were in good form. We lost just 4 times since the turn of the year and ended up finishing on a 10 match unbeaten run to finish 2pts ahead of Cheltenham and gain automatic promotion.

FA Cup (Lost in 3rd Round)

We reached the 3rd Round for the first time under my management which made me happy. I hoped for a more glamourous tie against the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool etc but we enjoyed our second day out in Nottingham in the FA Cup and put in a pasionate performance. It helped our finances a little by bringing in £70k.

League Cup (Lost in 1st Round)

An early exit against higher level opposition. It didnt bother me to much, but we played well against Rochdale.

Johnstones Paint Trophy (Lost in 2nd Round)

Just like the League Cup, we exited the competition to League 1 opposition. The game was not a 3-0 defeat really. It was an even game, but their finishing was more clinical than ours.

Transfers - Finances

Just as with the season before, a lot of ins and outs but they were needed. I think next season I will try to look at getting rid of players for money to help the finances out.

Finances are getting there......................I think!!!

Squad

I have been pretty pleased with my squad for the season. We have some very good players. Our top scorer was another loanee in Filipe Carvalhinho and what a player he was. At the start of the season I mentioned that I was a little worried that he was 17yo and I wasnt sure if he would handle the pressure, but he had a fantastic season which included scoring 4 goals against Plymouth. We need to strengthen our squad vastly if we are to compete against better opposition.

My Top 3 Players

Jordan Mustoe - Another excellent season from the winger. Like last season, he supplied a huge number of assists and contributed with goals as well. His season was capped off nicely wiht the Player of the Year Award.

Jeff Henderson - Ive said it in 3 season reviews now. Without this lad at the heart of our defence we arent the same team. He has such an influence on the back 4 that he is vital to our success.

Filipe Carvalhinho - A brilliant season from the youngster. I think I will definitely be looking to bring him back next season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | Team | League | Country | League Position | Notes |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 5th | Play-Off Quater Finalists |
| 2012/13 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 3rd | Play-Off Semi Finalists |
| 2013/14 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 4th | Play-Off Semi Finalists, FA Trophy Runners-Up, |
Appointed in October |
| 2014/15 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 2nd | Promoted via Play-Offs, FA Trophy Runners-Up |
| 2015/16 | Darlington | League Two | England | 3rd | Promoted |[/Code]

[size=3][b]Next Season?[/b][/size]

As you have seen in above posts, Ive signed a new 1 year contract with the club. I rejected an offer from Exeter who were prepared to offer me £1,300 p/w compared to my new contract at Darlington which is £1,000 p/w. They were going to give me £42k p/w for wages alone, which is a lot more than what I have availabe at present. So why? Well I am enjoying my time at Darlington and dont really fancy the change at present.

If I want to take FM a bit to seriously I will say this...County Durham is my home, its where Im from and where I grew up. I am enjoying being able to spend time with my family when I get the chance, so moving away would disrupt all that. I never realised how much I missed then until I moved back home from Turkey. My family was a little unsettled in Turkey and when I left we moved back home. The opportunity to manage Darlington came up and it was perfect for me at the present time.

A bit to serious??? Maybe so :lol:.

How are my Former Clubs Doing?

Kirklareli Spor

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | Notes |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2013/14 | Second Division Group A | 11th | - |
| 2014/15 | Second Division Group A | 9th | - |
| 2015/16 | Second Division Group A | 5th | Lost in Play-Off Semi Final |[/Code]

The club seemed to go a bit backwards after my exit, but they were back in the play-offs this season before losing in the Semi-Final.

A Look Around The World

Here I will post the winners of the major competitions in and around the World. Any others, just ask and I can update for you!!!

Club - Domestic

English Premier League

2011/12 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City

2012/13 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Arsenal 3rd Liverpool

2013/14 - 1st Liverpool 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man Utd

2014/15 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Liverpool 3rd Arsenal

2015/16 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City

FA Cup

2011/12 - Winners Tottenham Runners-Up Everton

2012/13 - Winners West Ham Runners-Up Liverpool

2013/14 - Winners Man Utd Runners-Up Norwich

2014/15 - Winners Wolves Runners-Up Birmingham

2015/16 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Barnsley

League Cup

2011/12 - Winners Fulham Runners-Up Reading

2012/13 - Winners Tottenham Runners-Up West Brom

2013/14 - Winners Wolves Runners-Up Chelsea

2014/15 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Aston Villa

2015/16 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Liverpool

La Liga

2011/12 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Athletic Club

2012/13 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Villarreal

2013/14 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Athletic Club 3rd Barcelona

2014/15 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Valencia

2015/16 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd At. Madrid

Bundesliga

2011/12 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Werder Bremen 3rd Schalke

2012/13 - 1st Dortmund 2nd Bayern Munich 3rd Schalke

2013/14 - 1st Leverkusen 2nd Dortmund 3rd Bayern Munich

2014/15 - 1st Leverkusen 2nd Bayern Munich 3rd Schalke

2015/16 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Schalke 3rd Leverkusen

Serie A

2011/12 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Napoli 3rd Lazio

2012/13 - 1st Inter 2nd Juventus 3rd Napoli

2013/14 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Inter 3rd Juventus

2014/15 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Inter 3rd Sampdoria

2015/16 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Parma 3rd Palermo

French Ligue 1

2011/12 - 1st Valenciennes 2nd Bordeaux 3rd Marseille

2012/13 - 1st Lyon 2nd Marseille 3rd Sochaux

2013/14 - 1st Lyon 2nd PSG 3rd RC Lens

2014/15 - 1st Lyon 2nd PSG 3rd Marseille

2015/16 - 1st PSG 2nd Lyon 3rd Marseille

Club - Europe

Champions League

2011/12 - Winners Bayern Munich Runners-Up Man Utd

2012/13 - Winners AC Milan Runners-Up Barcelona

2013/14 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Liverpool

2014/15 - Winners PSG Runners-Up Barcelona

2015/16 - Winners AC Milan Runners-Up At. Madrid

Europa League

2011/12 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Rubin Kazan

2012/13 - Winners Bayern Munich Runners-Up Porto

2013/14 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Napoli

2014/15 - Winners Benfica Runners-Up Bayern Munich

2015/16 - Winners Man City Runners-Up Aston Villa

International

World Cup

2014 - Winners France Runners-Up Ghana 3rd Place England Hosts Brazil

European Championships

2012 - Winners Germany Runners-Up France Hosts Ukraine/Poland

2016 - Winners Spain Runners-Up Belgium Hosts France

Excellent job on successive promotions! I think you made the right decision in staying as well.

Cheers Snake :thup:.

Think I will give it this season and it may be my last at Darlo.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Preview - 2016/17 - Darlington FC

Board Expectations:

League One:- Attempt to Avoid Relegation

FA Cup:- Reach the 3rd Round

Johnstones Paint Trophy:- Reach the 2nd Round

League Cup:- Enjoy the Experience

My Expectations:

League One:- Avoid Relegation. If I can do this then I will feel like we have won the league.

FA Cup:- I want a trip to Old Trafford, The Emirates, Anfield etc. Can I pleasssssssssssssssse have one of them!!!

Johnstones Paint Trophy:- If we get lucky I would love another trip to Wembley.

League Cup:- Meh. Not bothered really.

Budgets:

Transfer:- £0 (Im used to this by now)

Wage:- £29,756 (Currently spending £24,509)

Balance:- -£604,151 (-£298,101 since last season)

Squad:

We have a very small squad at present and I have a lot of work to do to make this squad competitive in this league. A few new signings have arrived in the shape of Elliot Benyon, Bjorn Recktenwald & Bobby Reid to strengthen. I need to add players in at right back, central midfield, upfront and a back-up left winger.

Key Player(s):

Elliot Benyon - A new arrival on a free transfer from Plymouth.

Jordan Mustoe - Has been key to my success in the last 2 seasons. More of the same please.

Bjorn Recktenwald - Another new signing. Joins from Hoffenheim and if he settles quick could be a huge hit.

Great job getting another promotion, I think you made the right decision to stay for at least another year aswell. I don't think Exeter was appealing enough to leave.
Glad you stayed another year, Exeter would have been a step sideways. I'm sure a better offer is around the corner

Cheers lads :thup:.

Ive got a tough year ahead though. My budget is spent and I need to bring in at least another 4 players.

Well done on another promotion. Probably best to stay with Darlo as Exeter wouldn't be that much of a step up the ladder.

Could do with some money though ;)

Im a little on the desperate side for money now. Trying to offload my reserves to free up some wages so I can bring in a couple of players.

Lets see if it pays off in League 1.

Cheers!!!

Great promotion SRL88, I will direct any Darlington fans to this thread.

Direct away :). I think they could do with some pleasentness from their club ha.

SRL88

Sorry if I have missed this somewhere in the thread, but what did you set your experience to when you started your save?

Sunday League Footballer :thup:.

Archived