Football Manager 12 Benchmark Thread

Very new to this so need to find out what that means :D Only been doing this since Friday evening! Read up on it then an decided to give it a go.

My system was OCed at time of build to 3.4 (bought it Jan 2009) but I went into the bios and set it back to stock a few months back because it kept freezing. I then replaced the thermal compound, replaced a few fans and gave it a deep clean. I decided now its all stable again to OC it back up. I read a few articles online and played a little then tried it yesterday and got to 3.6, then 3.8 today.

I downloaded a few programs to test stability and some to OC the graphics card too. I optimised that this morning.

There is A LOT I still have to learn but I am not sure how to know if I can get to a higher clock speed. I have an old one of these http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Asetek-Low-Cost-Liquid-Cooling-LCLC/388 and it does a decent job.

EDIT: If it is the "Revision" section in CPUZ then its C0, sorry for not knowing mate

Yea, the revision section for mine says D0, unfortunately the C0 doesn't have quite as much potential with overclocking as the D0. The whole reasons of why and how I don't know, generally the C0 is limited to 3.6 - 3.8ghz in its OC's the D0 has been pushed as high as 5ghz by some. Just the way it breaks down because of something in the chip design/manufacture.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go:

CPU: Intel Core I7 3930K

CPU Frequency: 4290 MHz

RAM: 32gb DDR3 1600 MHz

Time: 4:12

Corsair H100 WaterCooling Kit

Apparently, It's a matter of Highest CPU Frequency. It doesn't matter if it's dual/quad/hexa core CPU. It would be really good if SI could make the application use as many cores as possible efficiently.

Here we go:

CPU: Intel Core I7 3930K

CPU Frequency: 4290 MHz

RAM: 32gb DDR3 1600 MHz

Time: 4:12

Corsair H100 WaterCooling Kit

Apparently, It's a matter of Highest CPU Frequency. It doesn't matter if it's dual/quad/hexa core CPU. It would be really good if SI could make the application use as many cores as possible efficiently.

I think this is the case aswell, my 2.3Ghz returned 11.5 minutes :/

Generally the C0 is limited to 3.6 - 3.8ghz in its OC's the D0 has been pushed as high as 5ghz by some. Just the way it breaks down because of something in the chip design/manufacture.

Well I am happy to have 3.8 running very stable and at decent temps, ie 70C and below. I guess it means I can leave it there and use it as I have no need to have a CPU at above 3.8 for day to day gaming.

Mine is such an old i7, having ordered it only a month or two after it was 1st available. I will leave it where it is and maybe one day in the future I will buy a new CPU and clock high for fun... and probably a new PSU as it might strain it a bit!

This has got me thinking, many other games have benchmarking tools or tests that report back FPS, SI could easily make something, collect the data and use it to make some improvements or give the user feedback on speed... nothing like seeing how the average PC handles it, not the ones used in the offices. Maybe even have the ability to rank it as an incentive to get people to send the data in!

I think SI can actually even get some info just from this thread, its real world data like this that can make a big difference!

I gave this a go and got

CPU: Intel Core I7 2600k

CPU Frequency: 4428 MHz

RAM: 8gb DDR3 824 MHz

Time: 3:47:999

Air cooled

Could you please re-run the test. Your result is extremely good for that frequency, perhaps hyperthreading plays important role. FM is on Intel's list of games that benefit from HT. Also, what is your RAM frequency, as 824 MHz is too low for DDR3? 1648 maybe?

First AMD Bulldozer results are in (thanks to kull from benchmark.rs):

CPU: AMD FX-8150

CPU Frequency: 4515 MHz

RAM: 8gb DDR3 2000 MHz

Time: 5 min 2 sec

I am surprised how similar that is to my aging i7 @ 3.8 which got 5 min 07 sec with slower ram!

Dont forget to add my new one in post 46 and all the others, we are collecting some really good data! I cannot OC my i7 920 (C0) any further... WONT shell out for a new CPU just for this... HONEST!

PS anyone got any pics of their rigs? We could do a neat little modders contest! Mine is a mess with cabling but still looks cool with the lights an all, prob needs another thread in the OTF or summat.

CPU: Intel i7 920

CPU Frequency: 3600 MHz

RAM: 6GB 1600 MHz

Time: 5 min 25 sec

A rather strange set of numbers for me, I even ran the test 3 times & only had a 2 second variance.

CPU Frequency: 3800 MHz

RAM: 6GB 1333 MHz

Time: 4 min 32 sec

Either I have missed a step on the test run or by luck more than design I have eek'd out even more performance from my rig than I anticipated.

We have a winner!!! (the slowest is the winner right?)

CPU: Dual CPU Intel Xeon

CPU Frequency: 3600MHz

RAM: 4GB 800 MHz

Time: 14 min 03 sec

:(

Bit disappointed with that to be honest, I know the RAM is slow (PC3200) and the 800MHz FSB is a bottleneck but there's 2 x Intel Xeons running at 3.6GHz each with HT, so 4 logical processors at 3.6GHz is (in theory at least) 14.4GHz! (OK I know it doesn't work quite like that!) On top of that, two 10k rpm SCSI hard drives set up in a mirrored array, hard drives don't come much faster than that....

A rather strange set of numbers for me, I even ran the test 3 times & only had a 2 second variance.

RAM: 6GB 1333 MHz

Time: 4 min 32 sec

Either I have missed a step on the test run or by luck more than design I have eek'd out even more performance from my rig than I anticipated.

Only 30 odd seconds faster than my best time with the same CPU speed. Mine is a very old creaky i7 so maybe yours is a more recent version, I also have turbo boost off as mine is a C0 version, not a D0 which could handle turbo boost on at that clock.

The other surprising times are the two i7 930s clocking in similar times, someone obviously knows how to get more out of a CPU than just its clock speed! The only difference between the 920 and the 930 is a slightly different stock clock.

I guess I must be the person doing something wrong if i7 930 and other 920 users are beating me by half a minute with the same clock speeds, then again I have only been OCing since Friday so I am very new to it all!

I hadn't noticed the other 920/930 results, these little beggars never cease to amaze me, so much bang for so little buck. After more than 2 years I'd have expected my system to be ready for some minor upgrades but other than my gxf not being able to run BF3 on max detail I can probably go another year without considering any hardware upgrades.

Mine is very nearly 3 years old so maybe thats why im 30 seconds behind, unless you got any other ideas!

I am also at 3800 Mhz and RAM is 1600 but time is only 5 mins 07 seconds!

If you have any suggestions they are more than welcome!

All I have done is tweaked the base clock up, tweaked the voltages a tad and tested its stable for a few hours and that was it :D I know total OC newb

Here we go:

Untrue. I don't know how this save is set up, but unlike the majority of video games out there, the full detail match sim of FM grabs any core and thread it can. As for everything else though, probably not so much.

Yup, clock speed does make a difference against similar processors where RAM does not seem to for similar processors.

I think the OP will come along soon as there are up to 8 scores since my one which has not been listed, my i7 920 @ 3.8 doing it in jus over 5 mins. A 200Mhz clock increase took nearly half a minute off my score!

Results updated. I would really like to see some more 2600K results. They should perform very well, thanks to hyperthreading, but second placed 3930K also has HT, with even more threads, and is still behind by almost half minute, because of slower clock? More 2600K and 3930K results should clarify this.

The 3930K result seems too slow, I suspect that the test file has not used its strengths &/or that rig has a major bottleneck which is stunting the CPU's performance.

The 3930K result seems too slow, I suspect that the test file has not used its strengths &/or that rig has a major bottleneck which is stunting the CPU's performance.

Can I ask what i7 you have Barside? Mine is the old C0 stepping, I have been puzzling for ages trying to work out why your time is 30 seconds faster than mine where we basically have the same CPU. PM if you think you might know whats going on as I would love to try and get more out my system.

Thank you for a good tread, helped me to decide what computer i did buy.

Config 1

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E8500

RAM: 8GB

Time: 6 min 15 sec

Config 2 Laptop

CPU: Intel core i7-2670qm 2200 MHz

CPU Frequency: 2200 MHz @ 2900 MHz

RAM: 4GB

Time: 5 min 45 sec

Just a small correction. On the 480M entry the RAM is 1333MHz, not 1067, don't know why I wrote the opposite, lol. 2670QM in 5:45 - who said laptops will never match desktops? It seems laptops roughly catch-up a just couple of years after desktops reach a certain level.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't download from there without a premium account, won't allow it for UK users:

You may have reached this page due to a known problem with some UK ISPs. You may contact your ISP for support.An alternative is to buy a FileSonic Premium account. Click here to join now.

(ref: cpc1-bigg3-2-0-cust242.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com)If the problem persists, clear your cookies and try again.

CPU: Intel i7 930

CPU Frequency: 3700MHz

RAM: 6GB 1600 MHz

Time: 4m 42s

Pretty impressive time there! outperforms others similar and supposedly slightly superior. I guess there is more to the time than just processor type and clock speed. There must be an effect of other components in the system. Maybe the motherboard is having an effect?

Pretty impressive time there! outperforms others similar and supposedly slightly superior. I guess there is more to the time than just processor type and clock speed. There must be an effect of other components in the system. Maybe the motherboard is having an effect?

It is a quick system, slightly over-voltaged RAM, and 2x SSD's. I wouldn't have thought the MB is an effect, unless other people are using really cheap ones, which is unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had a chance to test AMD Black Edition - AMD FX 3.6 GHz Quad Core Processor? Will be in my new PC along with 8GB of 1600MHz RAM when I get around to building it and I'm interested to know what FM speeds will be like :)

Should be able to possibly tomorrow when I get mine built. This is what is going into it: click here

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9950 processor

CPU Frequency: 2.83 GHz

RAM: 4GB 800 MHz

Time: 7 min 09 sec

Played in window mode, ran it in the background for a while, whilst I browsed the net.

I've noticed detial level is set to default. Maybe setting it to maximum would be better for benchmarking?

Awesome thread by the way!

Recently upgraded my PC. Here's my new specs and test results:

CPU: Intel i7-3770

CPU Frequency: 3.4 GHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz

Time: 4 min 40 sec

4m 40s? This test is starting to demonstrate a fatal flaw by not having fixtures processed in full detail as that's 8s slower than my 920

Whether it's a flaw or not is debatable. Default setting in FM is that even the league where you're managing is not set to full detail. I believe many people never even change these settings. i7 3770 is also 400 MHz slower.

Archived