FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

Finally got around to September in my second season after a long break. Had a last minute change of heart and lost Gutierrez to partly finance my move for Tevez. Overall my transfers were:

IN:

Vertonghen - £5.5m

De Bruyne - £3.2m

Labyad - Free

Montoya - Free

Sow - £5.75m

Tevez - £11.5m

6 regens - £3.1m

TOTAL: £29m

OUT:

Kadar - £1.4m

Ranger - £1.9m

Xisco - £1.7m

Guthrie - £2.4m

Coloccini - £5m

Ba - £7.5m

Gutierrez - £9m

Ferguson, Abeid, Vuckic, Marveaux, Shola, Obertan, Elliot - Loan fees of £3m

TOTAL: £32m

Of those that left only Coloccini and Jonas had good seasons, Ba was awful and Obertan/Marveaux didn't do much. Hopefully I can improve on my 6th place finish from last season. The squad has impressive depth, in my opinion:

GK: Krul, Forster

RB: Montoya, Gosling

LB: Aldrete, Santon

CB: Vertonghen, S.Taylor

CB: Dawson, Clark

DM: Tiote, Enoh

CM: Cabaye, Diame

CM: De Bruyne, Diama

AMR: Hoilett, Labyad

AML: Ben Arfa, Sow

ST: Tevez, Sow, Wilfried

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014-15 season has finished, and a significant improvement over last season. Ended up 2nd behind City:

league1415.jpg

One of those defeats was a 7-1 loss at Arsenal in which Tevez, of course, scored a hat-trick :(

I retained the League Cup, but disappointingly went out of the FA Cup in the semis against Swansea. I steamrollered my Europa League group, winning every game against Dynamo Kiev, Dynamo Zagreb, and Sion, then went out 6-2 on aggregate to AC Milan in the first knockout round.

First X1:

GK: Krul

DR: Santon/Inkoom

DC: Colo/Taylor

DC: Papadopoulos/Toro

DL: Strinic/Santon

MC (bwm): Morel/Tiote

MC (dlp): Eriksen/Cabaye

AMC (t): Erick Torres

AMC (am): McCarthy/Kleber

ST (cf): Cisse/Mashishi

ST: (p): Musa/Sturridge

Santon, Inkoom, and Strinic rotate the full-back positions. It's a tough job as they have to provide width up and down the pitch, and they struggle to play 90 minutes on a regular basis. Unfortunately Cabaye has suffered a bit from two broken legs in three seasons, so I moved Eriksen back into the deep-lying playmaker position, leaving Erick Torres free to take over Tevez' role as trequartista. Torres had a rather injury-hit season; he tore his calf muscle early then had to be thrown straight back into action with Musa, Cisse, and Mashishi all at the Africa Cup, which led to a few niggling problems.

Star performer was undoubtedly little Ahmed Musa, who got 30 goals in 34 league apps.

Got some good looking regens coming through to replace my older players.

This is Theophelius (great name) Mashishi, Papiss Cisse's replacement:

mashishi.jpg

And Raphael Morel, who'll take over from Tiote:

morelu.jpg

Got the old 'local businessman' takeover early in the season. A second-place finish apparently gets me £12.75m to spend this summer. Which is even more annoying considering I had £11m left from last year's budget.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

Shall I keep Jon Carver or get rid of him?

Get rid, I got in Bruno Demichelis in first season. He's since retierd before the 3rd season and brought back Steve Clarke to Newcastle. Was tough choice out of him and Pep's current number 2 irl Tito Vilanova.

Have reached 1st March in my first season now, and things are still going well.

With further injury to Ben Arfa, Tiote at the African Nations, Ku Ja-Cheol seemingly always away with Korea and offloading Guthrie i had to do some frantic strengthening in the January window where i signed Diame (1.2m) from Wigan and took a bit of a punt on Silvestre Varela on loan from Porto for a fee of £350k. Both have worked out pretty well so far.

Since my last update i've beaten Arsenal 3-0 in the league, beaten Chelsea on away goals in the League Cup semis (1-1H and 2-2A), and finally, come from 1-0 and 2-1 down in the League Cup Final to beat Man City 3-2. Admittedly i got a little lucky with the team City played, was pretty 50/50 with reserves and regulars but i'm still well pleased.

I'm still sat 2nd in the League, 5 points behind Chelsea and 3 ahead of United. But most importantly, 10 points clear of 5th placed Man City. Could i really get in the Champions League?

I've also sewn up end of contract deals for Guardado (doesn't look as immense in FM12 as in previous, but should improve my squad) and Ricardo Kishna, a promising youngster from Ajax.

Forgot to bring my Newcastle save to my parent house as my brother play FM12 as well. So I will start a short term save (3 days break from Newcastle) and probably start with some team in League two :D

I beat Aston Villa in Carling Cup 3rd Round away, 1-0 and was serving match touchline ban. Got drawn against West Brom away next round. Still can't make up my mind which formation to use, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. Used 4-4-2 against West Brom in the league, won 4-3.

I am not going to start my 4th season until SI release the crash fix patch, after I have had loads of crashes and it is really doing my head in at the minute :mad:.

Hopefully it won't be too long before a fix for the problem is found as I was really enjoying my Newcastle game.

2013/2014 Mid season update

Results

resultssofar1314.jpg

Having a fantastic season so far. The loss in the Euro Super Cup has proven to be our only defeat of the season, both domestically and continentally. As things stand, nobody can come near me in the League - we're 11 points clear after 19 games, with the best defense and offense. The biggest disappointment has to be the draw with Birmingham, who are sitting just above the bottom three. Still, we put that behind us by stuffing Sunderland 4-0 a week later with Hazard netting a hat trick. No surprise then that he's already been listed in the clubs favoured personnel alongside Shawcross, Cabaye, Stevie Taylor and, erm, Adam Campbell (played 5 scored 4).

We also managed to get lucky in the CL group. Even though we were unbeaten, we needed to beat Marseille in the final game to guarantee qualification as we were sitting 1 point above AC, who were due to host Dinamo. After 5 games, Dinamo had 0 points and had only scored twice so to expect them to get anything at the San Siro was just plain silly. We drew 0-0 with Marseille. Just as I was getting over the disappointment of our apparent CL exit, the post match screen came up with the group table. We were still second. Dinamo had only gone and won 2-1 at the San Siro! Fantastic.

Transfer wise, Kadar is leaving after making one appearance over the last 2 seasons, and I had a rather generous £5m offer from Bayern for Demba Ba, whose contract is due to run out and isn't likely to get renewed for him to sit in the physio's office. So I'm looking for a striker - Jay Rodriguez has been fantastic for me, but if he gets injured I'm pretty stuck. Ideally a strong poacher type will do, but he'd have to be content with sitting on the bench for now. Any recommendations would be appreciated - my scouts are only concentrating on the youths nowadays!

I tried Wilfried, but sold him before the season started - he just didn't perform for me (I have high standards lol). Sturridge was on trial with me in pre season too, but his wage demands were too high for the role he was going to play. Good shout on Fierro though, I've just recalled him from his loan at Huddersfield. Completely forgot I'd signed him lol

Just played my Champions Cup semi finals against City.

mancityvnewcastlesplitv.png

At that point I thought Tiote had ruined it. Wilfrieds injury was just a knock so he was fit for the second leg and Jesus Navas also came back for that match which was a massive boost.

newcastlevmancitysplitv.png

Such a great match although a little nervy until Wilfried scored in injury time.

Next up: Barcelona who beat Real Madrid 7:3

I tried Wilfried, but sold him before the season started - he just didn't perform for me (I have high standards lol). Sturridge was on trial with me in pre season too, but his wage demands were too high for the role he was going to play. Good shout on Fierro though, I've just recalled him from his loan at Huddersfield. Completely forgot I'd signed him lol

This almost replicates my save. Brought Wilfried in first season, and was generally useless for the next two after leaving on a free before the start of my current season - 2013/14. Daniel Sturridge was on loan for my first season, and after being released in the summer had a pre-season trial with me, but a deal didn't materialise. Carlos Fierro was brought in this season, and have high hopes for him; he'll probably be loaned out after Christmas once he's played in the cup games though.

Would recommend Danny Welbeck, has been my stand out player this season, with him being in prolific form.

@Geordie_Gaz

If you're still looking for a poacher type then I'd make a very strong recommendation of Alberto Paloschi assuming he hasn't moved to a big club already. Also take a look at Nigerian player Brown Ideye, very similar player to Moussa Sow, strong, quick and composed finisher and he's slightly younger than Sow.

@Tommo: I tried to get Welbeck in my first season on loan, but Man U were having none of it. I'll get a report on him next time I load FM up - if memory serves me correctly though, he's on quite a high wage at Man U now and I dont know if I'd be willing to match it. Good to see we've both made the same mistakes in the striker department too :D

@DandyDon: I forgot about Paloschi. I had him on my shortlist for a while but I remember him getting signed by someone, forget who. I'll have a look at him too. I know Ideye has gone to Everton though. Scored against me lol, and Moyes probably wont want to sell him to me.

Anyone managed to sign Maiga? Contemplating a cheeky bid for him as his contract was running out.

@DandyDon: I forgot about Paloschi. I had him on my shortlist for a while but I remember him getting signed by someone, forget who. I'll have a look at him too. I know Ideye has gone to Everton though. Scored against me lol, and Moyes probably wont want to sell him to me.

Anyone managed to sign Maiga? Contemplating a cheeky bid for him as his contract was running out.

I picked Maiga up in the second season and he's been a useful back up to Sow and Paloschi. He got 16 goals and 9 assists in his first season for me, from 28 games. He didn't get so many games next season due to Paloschi's form and lack of any long injury lay offs. My coaches reckon he's best as a Poacher, but he played well as a Deep Lying Forward.

@Tommo: I tried to get Welbeck in my first season on loan, but Man U were having none of it. I'll get a report on him next time I load FM up - if memory serves me correctly though, he's on quite a high wage at Man U now and I dont know if I'd be willing to match it. Good to see we've both made the same mistakes in the striker department too :D

Man United offered me him for around £5million, which was negotiated to a deal of £4.6 so was good value. I had good experiences with him when managing him with Team GB at the Olympics so was eager to bring him in. Signed him on a one year deal to start of with as I brought him in largely as rotation as I looked for a star signing, which cost me more than say a three year deal in £pw - £60k to be precise. But like I've said he's been well worth the money, and will be seeing an extension to his contract soon after the new year. I'd second DandyDon's recommendation of Paloschi, brought him in as well in the summer - but he hasn't had too many starts due to Welbeck commanding his name on the team sheet, but is showing to be a good buy nonetheless.

WTF??

evertonvnewcastlesplitv.png

Absolute mayhem in this game, our defence which has been so solid so far (having only conceded one goal in 4 league matches, the Community Shield and one European group match so far) suddenly had a complete mare at the back. Luckily, especially in the second half the creative players on the pitch really dug them out of a hole. Welbeck was a menace, creating 2 for them before grabbing himself a goal. His 2 assists both came from outmuscling a defender and stealing possession before laying it off. Was quite a freak show from the keeper and the back 4 considering we'd gone to Bayern in the game before and stuffed them 5-0 at the Allianz Arena. Dominguez did redeem his defensive showing by volleying home a Xavi free kick, and getting the vital touch in a couple of goalmouth scrambles at least.

By the way Gaz, Tommo, here's how Alberto looks in the 4th season. His technical attributes may not be as impressive as some forwards, but his mental and physical attributes make him a lethal goalscorer. His Determination and Work Rate means he never stops working, never lets defenders rest. he's got the pace to leave most of them behind, and has a great ability to snap up little half chances.

albertopaloschioverview.png

Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go for Paloschi in the end - though it was a close one between him and Welbeck. In the end my scouts estimated price and predicted wage demands persuaded me to choose Paloschi. Managed to get him for £8.5m and he's on £31k per week. No less than a week after I sign him, though, he goes and sprains his ankle in training! Not to worry. I dont like to throw new signings straight in anyway, I usually give them a few sub appearances first while they blend in a bit.

@DanyDon: I've had a few freakish results against Everton myself. First game of my second season I got stuffed 4-1 at Goodison, and then there was a 5-3 win against them this (3rd) season at Goodison. All this despite me having the best defense in the League. Are you playing 4-2-3-1 against them? I've found Moyes' tactics seem to do better against that formation than most others, assuming Moyes is still in charge.

I currently have Vela, Sturridge, Wilifried and Babacar as strikers and there all scoring :).

Babacar is just amazing at present with 10 goals from 7 appearences and it's not even December. On the wings as AP I have Eden Hazard, Giovanni Dos Santos, Adam Johnson and Ashley Young.

My start to a season so far but this time I have Mike Phelan as AM and Brian McClair as FTC and it seems to make a huge difference.

End of season 3 update

Managed to finish third after a really bad start to the season. The defence was terible but the front 4/5 were almost unstoppable, scoring the more goals than any other teams.

englishpremierdivisionsl.png

Cups

FA Cup: lost 2:0 to Tottenham in the third round

League Cup: lost 3:0 to Huddersfield in the third round

Champions League

We played Barca in the final and lost to two Messi goals. Aldrete just couldn't keep up with him but I feel we deserved more as we had the better chances and even more completed passes. I guess the players were just to nervous to score.

newcastlevbarcelonasplins.png

Stats

newcastleunitedsquadsea.png

The midfielders and strikers were great this season. The main weaknesses were Aldrete and maybe Tim Krul. I've also got a massive problem next season as Tiote, Wilfried and Doumbia will all be off to the ACN in Jan/Feb. While Rodwell can cover in Midfield, my options upfront are rather worrying. I've got Campbell, Vuckic and Fierro for two spots.

Targets are: ter Stegen(4.2m release clause iirc), a MC on loan, a DL if I can find better than Aldrete for a reasonable price and cover upfront possibly a loan.

2013/14 Update - January 2014.

Yet to update the goings on at Newcastle this season, so thought I'd wait until I hit the January transfer window and what better time to disclose my joys. After just missing out on the Champions League the season before I was uptimistic that I could really prove to be a dominant force both in the League and in Europe. Still with a few places to strengthen in the side I was on the look out first and foremost for quality, with a bespoke shortlist of the World's talents that I set my heart on. Here's how it went...

Transfers In

• Carlos Fierro - £4.4m
  • Danny Welbeck - £4.6
  • Ryan Tunnicliffe - Free
  • David Alaba - £12.25m
  • Jack Wilshere - £13.75m
  • Mario Gotze - £40m
  • Alberto Paloschi - £2.5m
  • Jack Rodwell - £12m
  • Sergio Canales and Coutinho - Season Loans
  • 20 or so Regens.

Transfers Out

• Demba Ba - £2.5m to Birmingham
  • Fabricio Coloccini - £1.5m to Wolves
  • Richard Samnick - £1.7m to Leeds (Never played a game, signed on bosman year before)
  • Nile Ranger - £1.2m to Norwich
  • Lassana Diarra - £10m to Liverpool
  • Kevin De Bruyne - £525k season loan to Galatasary
  • Jonas Gutierrez - £400k season loan to Stoke
  • Woefull-fried (Aka Wilfried) - End of contract to Nantes (more fool them.

Another very busy summer. Backed to the hill by a strangely generous Ashley, this saw me bring in a vast array of talent. Top of my list was a defensive-work-man-like-wide-player; and after Tottenham pricing me out of the market for Gareth Bale this summer, I opted for David Alaba from Bayern Munich. Next up were forwards, three were brought in with three going the other way - Nile Ranger not included. Ba was shown the door after playing so damn terribly, Wilfried didn't have his contract renewed, for, again playing so damn terribly. Adebayor returned to City with his tail between his legs. Could have struck a deal with City for £2.3m, but god knows how £170k a week can be justified; unless he is funding Togo's national deficit single handedly. So in game cheaper younger models in the shape of an 18 year old Mexican, an Italian and to use his full name Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck - Danny to his friends. Let's cut this short, I'm rambling. Anyway, a host of Europe's less than finest came calling for Lassana Diarra, which eventually saw me take Liverpool to the cleaners and return with 10 million of the cleanest Great British Pounds your ever likely to see. Coloccini was getting on a bit and in last year of his deal, so off he went. Two Jack's came to Tyneside in the shape of Wilshere and Rodwell - Wilshere not featuring at Arsenal was glad to get away, and Everton were glad of the cash no doubt. Mario Gotze was somewhat of a coup - In fact a 'hell'ova purchase'. After a summer of licking German behind, and praising his manager's ability to do his job, I'd unsettled the little German and he wanted out. After around three bouts of negotiations Dortmund succumbed the fact he wanted out and let him go for £40m; most of which they will see in various stages over the next 4 years. Three words spring to mind -
Saw. You. Coming.

Premier League and League Cup.

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-4.png

Not a bad start, convincing wins against Tottenham and Chelsea preceded a few less than convincing wins; but defeats to Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal are costly - as to are draws with Fulham and Everton. Trailing top of the table Man City by 5 points, so not of the running just yet; but gives me some work to do in the second half of the season. I think a nice unbeaten run of 10 or so games would do wonders. League cup can be seen hidden in the bottom corner, as you can see I have made it beyond the 3rd Round this year.
Hooray!
This can be attributed to not playing spotty teenagers, and actually trying.

Champions League

EuropeanChampionsCupOverview_Stages-1.png

Despite going into this year as Runner's Up I was seen to be a 3rd seed. Despite this I was drawn in a less than competitive group in my eyes, with the only competition being the team I trounced in the Semi's last year - Valencia. First three games were amazing, 6-0 away win in the super-rich-tax-haven-principality of Monaco could have easily been celebrated by a James Bond style Casino high rolling montage. Then it went all Pete Tong, injuries to my team had saw League form fall off from the high scoring games; and this was even more unhelpful in Europe as players like Gotze (cup tied), Papadopoulos and Shaqiri were unregistered due to injury - so my squad was thin on the ground. Anyway I scraped through and have been punished for finishing second by being drawn against FC Bayern in the last 16.

Goodbye Ashley, Hello rich Russian sounding guy.

TomRichardsNews_Inbox-2-1.png

The takeover talk started in the summer, eventually seeing this guy - Evgeny Sychev come in. His first task was to de-clutter Ashley's office from the boxes and boxes of England alarm clocks and Lonsdale jumpers he flogged in Sports Direct, next was to give me a hefty Winter transfer budget. Soemthing that will no doubt coined as a 'winter war-chest' for me to 'play with' by the English media.

£51M burning a hole in my pocket..

As I searched for players I saw the names of Mesut Ozil, Wayne Rooney, Hulk (now at Chelsea), Eden Hazard, Pedro and David Silva to name but a few. First I checked to make sure the 'unrealistic players that have I haven't a cat in hells chance of signing' box ticked, and it was. So god knows what I am going to do now. Think I'm going to count to ten, then run into this transfer window like I were the metaphorical boy in the Sweet Shop.

Regens

Brought in loads of them, so more exciting than others. Have printscreened quite a few, so shall post up the more exciting of the talents later on this evening.

Lucky sod. Ashley has just sold up on my game, and Ken Hodcroft has taken his place and provided no investment. Worst part is, he actually seems less ambitious and flexible than Ashley was, and has knocked back every request I've made!

Signing wise, I cant recommend Hazard enough. I'm near the end of January in his first (and my third) season. So far he's played 33, scored 20, created 20, had 8 Man of the Match awards and has an average rating of 7.95 in all competitions playing on the left wing. By far the best signing I've made on FM12 so far.

Lucky sod. Ashley has just sold up on my game, and Ken Hodcroft has taken his place and provided no investment. Worst part is, he actually seems less ambitious and flexible than Ashley was, and has knocked back every request I've made!

Signing wise, I cant recommend Hazard enough. I'm near the end of January in his first (and my third) season. So far he's played 33, scored 20, created 20, had 8 Man of the Match awards and has an average rating of 7.95 in all competitions playing on the left wing. By far the best signing I've made on FM12 so far.

I'm after him at the moment, in negotiations with Lille - they initially want £63million. Looking at Ganso and Neymar who are both still at Santos. Have had bids of £26m for Ganso accepted, but his Agent refuses to reveal what he wants, leaving me to make the first move which is promptly rejected and negotiations over.

Scouts say that Javier Pastore would be available for £45m. Really don't know where too strengthen my squad, I've got plenty of Midfielders so will have to offload a couple.

Looking for a world class left back as I think that could be an area that could receive immediate improvement, thinking getting in Gareth Bale and playing him there like I used to back in FM07.

Latest to be added to this collection of, I hasten to say Galactico's *shivers* is Eden Hazard. Deal done on the day of Liverpool game, so he makes his debut in the League Cup!

Now I'm rich, It's inevitably changed me. So therefore I've got no time for mere mortal squad players, so on their way out are Tiote and Erik Pieters, as is Shaqiri who has been sent out on loan for the rest of the season while Hazard comes in to metaphorically sleep with his wife.

@DanyDon: I've had a few freakish results against Everton myself. First game of my second season I got stuffed 4-1 at Goodison, and then there was a 5-3 win against them this (3rd) season at Goodison. All this despite me having the best defense in the League. Are you playing 4-2-3-1 against them? I've found Moyes' tactics seem to do better against that formation than most others, assuming Moyes is still in charge.

Not been on my Newcastle save much the last couple of days due to doing some overtime so still not much further on yet in the 4th season. Just had a quick look Gaz and the current Everton boss is Simon Grayson as David 'Gollum' Moyes replaced Michael Laudrup at Arsenal.

We're in the midst of yet another takeover attempt which has dragged on for a while. Fortunately no transfer embargo was enforced before the window closed. I added another couple players to the squad, bringing in Jack Rodwell for £12.5 million to add another English player to the squad, then after late injuries to Johnson and Gaitan I snapped up Pablo Sarabia for £6.5 million from Calta Vigo. He'll be covering the AML slot while we wait for Johnson and Gaitan to recover.

Some nice updates on here while I've been off trying not to work too hard. Nice recovery there Shoonaldo after a bad start, and nice to see Tommo that at least one of us has gotten a half decent takeover :thup:

tommonufc - Keep us humble thread readers, like myself, on how your £40 million man, Mario Götze, performs for you; looking to sign him on my Arsenal save :D

Gotze's debut season so far..

MarioGtzeOverview_Profile.png

I've been playing him as an attacking right-sided winger more often than not this season, and he has shown to more than capable out there. I've been wanting to field him in his preferred left sided role as there I feel he will come alive, but due to my shortage of right sided players and the overall balance of my system it has dictated he be on the right. Another factor within this is the form of fellow new-signing-from-Germany, David Alaba. He has excelled as a LM Attacking Defensive Winger, so he has been a fixture on the left side.

Gotze had a very bright start on Tyneside - scoring on his debut against Chelsea in a 5-1 win at the Bridge, scoring two more in the following weekend against Wigan, and this run continued with another goal against Sunderland in the League cup. This has shown his undoubted ability, but his form came in the part of the season where my side were at it's best. Read what you will into that, I don't feel there was any direct correlation with Gotze's performances with the Team's but his ability to play well was certainly aided by his team mates also performing.

Since then he has been something of a mixed bag, following the trend of other wingers that have preceded him - Ben Arfa, De Bruyne, Gutierrez and the latest, Shaqiri. Some games he will unplayable for defences, and some games he will be unplayable to the manager. This I do feel is down to the neglect I've shown him, in so much I haven't tailored any tactical instructions to suit him, and haven't really experimented with different roles or positions. Now since the arrival of Hazard, and my ability to bring in fellow stars, I have born a new found comitance to evolving a possession based attacking style of football - which sees two wingers being used, i.e Hazard and Gotze. So therefore he'll get his chance to play on the left, and I'll hopefully be able to utilise his fondness of cutting-inside on to his stronger right foot. I don't see a future for him down the middle, behind the striker, as Christian Eriksen will be above Gotze in the pecking order there, as probably will be Marvin Martin. So for the whole dynamic and greater good of the side, he'll find his home outwide.

Gotze's Training..

MarioGtzeTraining_Overview.png

This is the schedule he has found himself on since his arrival. According to my new-found and far from comprehensive knowledge of making training schedules I've tried to maximise his Ball Control, Tactics, Attacking and Shooting in accordance to the training bars. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, and/or how you would change this current set up,
this applies to anyone.
He hasn't shown too much improvement on the schedule to date, no whole stat points, but some progress in his composure for instance.

I'm after him at the moment, in negotiations with Lille - they initially want £63million. Looking at Ganso and Neymar who are both still at Santos. Have had bids of £26m for Ganso accepted, but his Agent refuses to reveal what he wants, leaving me to make the first move which is promptly rejected and negotiations over.

Scouts say that Javier Pastore would be available for £45m. Really don't know where too strengthen my squad, I've got plenty of Midfielders so will have to offload a couple.

Looking for a world class left back as I think that could be an area that could receive immediate improvement, thinking getting in Gareth Bale and playing him there like I used to back in FM07.

Hazard does have a ridiculously high asking price, especially when/if he doesn't want to leave Lille. I'd say he's worth every penny though.

With regards to the training, I'd recommend lowering the match preparation workload to low/very low once your tactics have been "learnt". I read somewhere that the workload has no bearing on how much time gets spent focussing on attacking movement etc once all tactics have been learnt - I've done it and it's producing some pretty good results for me, and some very good improvements in training.

Bale is a player I would love to sign too, but I've never been able to afford him. Can only imagine the havoc him and Hazard would cause down the left flank :D

End of Season 2 - No Euro (again)

Season2_Standing.png

Finished 7 empty handed.

League Cup: Lost to Man City at Qtr Final

FA Cup: Lost to Blackburn at 4

Home: 12W 3D 4L

Away: 7W 4D 8L

Season2_Transfer.png

Kyle Naughton as a rotation to danny simpson. Not very impressive.

Reto Ziegler came as a first team player, Saton dropped to 2nd choice.

Royston Drethe and Clint Dempsey didn't play up to my expectation yet grumble for first team action.

Loaned Gareth Barry as a short term rotation player to Tiote before signing De Guzman in Jan for a 6months contract.

Yaya Sanogo was a good signing! I will start giving him more games in the next season.

Season2_Players_Rating.png

Top goalscorer for the team as well as top performer goes go Coloccini who converted plenty of goals from corner. Cabaye is still my best player providing 17 assist and 2 goals in 36 matches.

Need some advice here...

1) Tactics

Played 4-2-3-1 as my main tactic,

Philosophy: Balance

Strategy: Attacking

Playing style: All Default

Defensive line, Width, Tempo: Normal

Time wasting: Rarely

Focus passing Mixed

Counter attack: Yes

Play offside: No.

Any feedback or improvement for me? As previously mentioned my away games are horrible.

Home: 12W 3D 4L

Away: 7W 4D 8L

2) Touchline instruction?

Here's what i usually do...

Low Procession: Pass to feet, Strategy change to Counter, Defensive line change to deep, Passing change to short

Low shot on target: Pass to feet, work ball into box

Any tips you use?

3) Preparation for Season 3

Winger. The current don't seems to be good enough.

AML: Jonas Gutierrez / Royston Drenthe / Siphiwe Tshabalala

AMR: Clint Dempsey / Gabriel Obertan / Mario Santana

Striker. I'm playing lone striker. Hard to rotate. Some not hitting target.

Demba Ba / Yaya Sanogo / Wilfried / Ruben Rochina / Jelle Vossen

Looking forward for your advice. Thanks!

January Sales 2014

...and I'm not talking Next.

After being given a £51million war chest by my new Chairman, Evengy Sychev, this was going to be a very exciting start to the year. This new found wealth I throw away the pragmatism that allowed me to somewhat overachieve the previous two season, and build a side that will now out play, out attack, and out score Man City and the rest of Europe. I intended to utilise every penny in my pursuit of Man City and the summit of the Premier League, and this is how it turned out..

43006570.png

Andrea Poli
£14m from Sampdoria (£2m upfront; £12m 48months)
Mini-Pirlo. Not top of my list, but after being under my watchful eye for a couple of seasons - I was waiting for his contract to run out and get him on the cheap to be honest. Alas that wasn't the case, and after noticing other clubs showing interest in him I flexed my new found financial muscle. Brought in due to him being another player that will fit like a glove into a philosophy I am trying to build. Exceptional technique, and able to pick a pass from a locked cupboard. He shall be naturalised to a DM role to become a linchpin as a deep-lying playmaker. His arrival shall no doubt see the exit to Tiote, due to a changing of the guard that will see footballers that boast passing and generally good technical ability - not just chase people, get yellow carded all the time and work hard.

18004418.png

Eden Hazard
£52m from Lille (£12m upfront; £40m 48months)
A hefty price tag, but he will be a fixture for many years to come. Him and Gotze shall terrify full back across the land. I shall be also be naturalised to another position, this time the right wing. Despite showing some ability to play there, his more favored central and left sided roles seem to be already taken, therefore he will instead shine on the right. Once he is comfortable out there, I do plan on experimenting with the 'swap-players' instruction, allowing for him and Gotze to wing-swap within the game. I recon that could come of nicely.

5132312.png

Gareth Bale
£30m from Tottenham (£10m upfront; £20m 48months)
A sumprely lavish signing if I say so myself. I remember the days when Gareth Bale used to be a left back, way before the terrorism of Maicon in the San Siro; just a Welsh left-back that onced played for Southampton - and that's the way it's stuck with me. Credit where credit is due, he has gone on to be one of Europe's hottest wingers, both in game and in real life - but I'm here to take him back to his roots, if he likes it or not. His arrival sees the disappearance of Erik Pieters, although I've been wondering where he's been hiding for the last season and a half - I cashed on him to the tune of £7.75m to Marseille, a nice return on the £3.2m I paid for him in 2011 from PSV. Davide Santon now drops down to back up.

1501170.png

Fernando Llorente
£9.25m from Athletic Club Bilbao
My last purchase of the window saw me bring this fella in, he'll become the replacement for the outgoing Paraguayan goalscoring-lightweight Oscar Cardozo, whose contract shall run it's course until the summer whilst he plays the remainder of the season in the reserves. Some of my best work this, and I have Manchester United to thank for most, if not all of it. A deal was almost sealed, with him wanting out of Catalonia, all but on his way to Old Trafford, when I stole a march at the eleventh hour. A fee of £9.25m, a mere fraction of his release-clause of £120million, was accepted to my astonishment; and the rest they say is history. Contraction negotiations nearly scuppered the deal going through, his agent initially holding the notion that Fernando needs to be paid £130k a week; eventually a deal was met at £45,500k a week - still a marked improvement on what he was on in Spain. Although if you were to take into consideration the 50% tax in t... well that's another story.

7458280.png

David Silva
10% wages, £500k end of season loan from Man City
This deal was born through the fact of me losing Mario Gotze for 4months in January after breaking his ankle. Very scared that it could harm is ability for the long run, after reading a thread of Mario Gomez's decline and general scare mongering in General Discussion just now. David found himself cast out of the first team, sat in the reserves along with the likes of Joleon Lescott, Nedum Onhuhohuahuha (don't know how to spell him, and cba looking so I'll just play), Owen Hargreaves, Mario, Adam Johnson, bladdy bladdy bla.. Anyway, after a less than impressive scout report, 2 stars my arse I chose to take an executive descion and bring him in. Despite him being in the final few months of a standard Man-City-super-sized contract his market value has rocketed from a lowley £3.2m to £12.75m in a matter of a couple of weeks and 2 games with me. He has impressed in these two games, scoring in his debut fielded on the right; and could see himself return to St.James' on a permanent deal if he's not such a greedy sod. Same can be said for his Spanish mini-me Sergio Canales who is currently impressing as a sub/squad player and might stick around.

@tommonufc

Certainly taken advantage of your new chairman's largesse there haven't you :D Very impressed at the signing of Llorente, a player I really like but I've never been able to persuade him to leave Bilbao. Your midfield must be getting a bit crowded now is it? Got to do the Mancini shuffle to try and keep all those egos happy.

@rhchia

I'm not tactical genius, my philosophy is usually 'KISS' but I'd recommend dropping your starting strategy from 'Attacking' to 'Normal' when you're away from home (unless it's a team you're very confident of beating) and maybe dropping the 2 in the formation from MC to DMC positions. As you're only playing a lone striker might be worth cashing in on one of them to help get in a better quality wide man. I'd try and bring in one of there Adam Johnson, Antoine Griezmann, Marc Albrighton or Willian (technically he's an AMC but he does a great job out wide as well).

Hopefully you'll get some more useful tips from the helpful soals on here. Good luck with the 3rd season :thup:

EDIT: and watch out for Milos Krasic as a potential winger, he was looking for a way out of Serie A during the 3rd season on my save.

David Silva
10% wages, £500k end of season loan from Man City
This deal was born through the fact of me losing Mario Gotze for 4months in January after breaking his ankle. Very scared that it could harm is ability for the long run, after reading a thread of Mario Gomez's decline and general scare mongering in General Discussion just now. David found himself cast out of the first team, sat in the reserves along with the likes of Joleon Lescott, Nedum Onhuhohuahuha (don't know how to spell him, and cba looking so I'll just play), Owen Hargreaves, Mario, Adam Johnson, bladdy bladdy bla.. Anyway, after a less than impressive scout report, 2 stars my arse I chose to take an executive descion and bring him in. Despite him being in the final few months of a standard Man-City-super-sized contract his market value has rocketed from a lowley £3.2m to £12.75m in a matter of a couple of weeks and 2 games with me. He has impressed in these two games, scoring in his debut fielded on the right; and could see himself return to St.James' on a permanent deal if he's not such a greedy sod. Same can be said for his Spanish mini-me Sergio Canales who is currently impressing as a sub/squad player and might stick around.

Just bought Silva myself, for a sweet £2.3m. He's on 130k/week, but he looks fantastic and I had room for him in the budget. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, Colo had a 'match highest earner' clause in his contract, so I just doubled the wages of a 33-year old 4th choice CB >.<

Just bought Silva myself, for a sweet £2.3m. He's on 130k/week, but he looks fantastic and I had room for him in the budget. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, Colo had a 'match highest earner' clause in his contract, so I just doubled the wages of a 33-year old 4th choice CB >.<

That's a sore one....I made a similar mistake back on FM11, brought in a new striker without realising 4 other players had the dreaded clause and all of a sudden I had 5 players earning 120,000 a week. :eek: Blew my wage budget right out of the water. Main reason I'm trying to keep the wage offers down this time round.

Yet another takeover attempt fails. This time I was a bit more hopeful as it was some Scandanavian consortium rather than a local business type, but just received the message from Mike that they've pulled the plug.

Makes it our 6th failed takeover so far.

@tommonufc

Certainly taken advantage of your new chairman's largesse there haven't you :D Very impressed at the signing of Llorente, a player I really like but I've never been able to persuade him to leave Bilbao. Your midfield must be getting a bit crowded now is it? Got to do the Mancini shuffle to try and keep all those egos happy.

/QUOTE]

Well I've been ravished with injuries this term. At some point or another, I won't bore you with specific dates of the season, this is what I've dealt with;

• David Alaba - Hernia - 5 Weeks
  • Gareth Bale - Sprained Neck - 1 Week
  • Yohan Cabeye - Twisted Knee 2 Weeks; Broken Foot 7 Weeks
  • Mario Gotze - Broken Wrist 4 Weeks; Broken Ankle 5 Weeks
  • Eden Hazard - Twisted Ankle 3 Weeks
  • Marvin Martin - Torn Hamstring - 2 Months
  • Kyriakos Papadopoulos - Slipped Disc - 3 Months
  • Cheick Tioute - Achillese Tendon - 3 Weeks

So as you can see my physio's have earned their crust this year. Which has just remmineded me that I need to employ more, seeing as I now have that luxury now that Ashley's reign of terror is gone.

January Sales 2014

...and I'm not talking Next.

After being given a £51million war chest by my new Chairman, Evengy Sychev, this was going to be a very exciting start to the year. This new found wealth I throw away the pragmatism that allowed me to somewhat overachieve the previous two season, and build a side that will now out play, out attack, and out score Man City and the rest of Europe. I intended to utilise every penny in my pursuit of Man City and the summit of the Premier League, and this is how it turned out..

43006570.png

Andrea Poli
£14m from Sampdoria (£2m upfront; £12m 48months)
Mini-Pirlo. Not top of my list, but after being under my watchful eye for a couple of seasons - I was waiting for his contract to run out and get him on the cheap to be honest. Alas that wasn't the case, and after noticing other clubs showing interest in him I flexed my new found financial muscle. Brought in due to him being another player that will fit like a glove into a philosophy I am trying to build. Exceptional technique, and able to pick a pass from a locked cupboard. He shall be naturalised to a DM role to become a linchpin as a deep-lying playmaker. His arrival shall no doubt see the exit to Tiote, due to a changing of the guard that will see footballers that boast passing and generally good technical ability - not just chase people, get yellow carded all the time and work hard.

18004418.png

Eden Hazard
£52m from Lille (£12m upfront; £40m 48months)
A hefty price tag, but he will be a fixture for many years to come. Him and Gotze shall terrify full back across the land. I shall be also be naturalised to another position, this time the right wing. Despite showing some ability to play there, his more favored central and left sided roles seem to be already taken, therefore he will instead shine on the right. Once he is comfortable out there, I do plan on experimenting with the 'swap-players' instruction, allowing for him and Gotze to wing-swap within the game. I recon that could come of nicely.

5132312.png

Gareth Bale
£30m from Tottenham (£10m upfront; £20m 48months)
A sumprely lavish signing if I say so myself. I remember the days when Gareth Bale used to be a left back, way before the terrorism of Maicon in the San Siro; just a Welsh left-back that onced played for Southampton - and that's the way it's stuck with me. Credit where credit is due, he has gone on to be one of Europe's hottest wingers, both in game and in real life - but I'm here to take him back to his roots, if he likes it or not. His arrival sees the disappearance of Erik Pieters, although I've been wondering where he's been hiding for the last season and a half - I cashed on him to the tune of £7.75m to Marseille, a nice return on the £3.2m I paid for him in 2011 from PSV. Davide Santon now drops down to back up.

1501170.png

Fernando Llronte
£9.25m from Athletic Club Bilbao
My last purchase of the window saw me bring this fella in, he'll become the replacement for the outgoing Paraguayan goalscoring-lightweight Oscar Cardozo, whose contract shall run it's course until the summer whilst he plays the remainder of the season in the reserves. Some of my best work this, and I have Manchester United to thank for most, if not all of it. A deal was almost sealed, with him wanting out of Catalonia, all but on his way to Old Trafford, when I stole a march at the eleventh hour. A fee of £9.25m, a mere fraction of his release-clause of £120million, was accepted to my astonishment; and the rest they say is history. Contraction negotiations nearly scuppered the deal going through, his agent initially holding the notion that Fernando needs to be paid £130k a week; eventually a deal was met at £45,500k a week - still a marked improvement on what he was on in Spain. Although if you were to take into consideration the 50% tax in t... well that's another story.

Wow. Massive signings.

How's Llorente slotting in to your side so far? I can imagine him flourishing with the likes of Bale and Hazard in your team, not to mention Silva

1501170.png

Fernando Llorente

Due to my system seeing a lone forward more often than not, and due to the exceptional strike rate of Danny Welbeck at the moment he's found himself starting his Newcastle career on the sub's bench. Despite saying this he did feature from his immediate arrival. Played as a Target man attack in his debut against Leicester in the F.A Cup he was less than impressive, attributed to the fact a target man doesn't suit the system that is played. Next few games saw him again play as part of a two upfront, partnering Welbeck. Fernando was played as a Deep-lying Attack, and his only notable perfromance being seen in a 5-1 win in the League against Leeds United. I'm not too discouraged by his slow start, once he is settled and has found a role that suits him and the team I'm sure his quality will prevail. He offers me something different, and after realising Welbeck is susceptible to go missing against higher quality defences this guy should offer an ability to keep two central defenders on thier, giving a physical presence that isn't seen anywhere else in my strike force. I like to think he is the Dzeko if I were to compare to Man City in real life; due to Dzeko not playing for them anymore on FM.

FernandoLlorenteStats_Form.png

7458280.png

David Silva

Since his arrival it has been an ongoing battle to gain match fitness, after his first team exile at Manchester City, therefore he has made a slow but encouraging start. Only on loan until the end of the season, I am eager for him to impress me. Made his debut against Chelsea in an advanced playmaker role out on the right wing, which saw him get on the scoresheet before succumbing to injury to force him to be substituted. Nothing serious thankfully, just a knock. He's found himself play in a CM role so far, which hasn't seen him excell - but I think this can be attributed to a lack of match sharpness. He isn't the main playmaking attraction in my side, which may overshadow his abilities; but like Llorente he's very much a work in progress and can only improve.

DavidSilvaStats_Form.png

*My eyes have decieved me, thought you were inquiring about Silva along with how Llorente has fitted in. Anyway, no harm done.

1501170.png

Fernando Llorente

The Arrival Of Fernando Llorente - Newcastle 4 - Liverpool 3

Previous post displayed certain apprehensions on his slow start at Newcastle, but this game showcases the forwards supreme goal scoring ability. Liverpool, now managed by Fernando's former manager at Athletico, Marcelo Biesla, previously beat us 4-0 over two legs in the League Cup; I had struggled to play against a 3-4-3 system that Biesla used, with Welbeck non-existant up against the three central defenders. This was the reason why I brought Llorente in, it gives me another tactical option, and despite keeping the same system as usual, Llronte came in as a Deep Lying Playmaker attack and gave the side a completly different outlook. From certain tactical observations I could see that he was holding his own physcially against Liverpool's defenders of Skrtel, Carragher and Danny Wilson - all very strong, comanding center backs that are good in the air. Often the ball would be played into his feet, he would hold the ball with his back to goal; drawing out the center backs to expose the channels for Hazard and Alaba to run into. This is stark contrast to a player like Welbeck, who would look to play on to the last man, playing into the hands of a Liverpool back 3 as it would allow for him to be easily contained.

As you can see, a very exciting game. Going into the game I needed to win to keep in contention with the Manchester clubs at the top of the table, with me sitting 3rd with a game in hand over Man U and Man City I needed a win to return level with City, and return to 3 points behind United. Luis Suarez's second goal, Liverpool's equaliser to 2-2, was scored by his hand. The cheating little B*$*#*d, now I know what the Ghanaian's felt like. Gareth Bale expressed his outrage at the referee's ineptitude at missing the hand-of-sod and was shown a second yellow and sent off. Down to ten men now, still needing a win, my title chances were looking distant at best now. Then up pops Fernando in the 92minute! Alaba now filling in at left wing back, sped down the left on a counter attack before crossing a inch perfect cross for Llorente to power past 3 defenders and head in.
I love this guy already.

NewcastlevLiverpoolInformation_Overview.png

2014/15 - Season Update - Perfect 10

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

10 games down in the league and 4 champions league games under our belt and we're off to an impeccable start to the season. Despite some of our attacking play not being quite as fluid or incisive looking as last season at times, we've still managed a 100% win record so far. This sees us sitting top of the league with the maximum 30 points and having qualified for the knockout stages in Europe with 2 games still to play in our group.

Due to a variety of knocks, sprains and other issues none of our strikers have had a consistent run of matches as yet, so our top scorer so far has been Jose Dominguez with 10 goals from 15 games. However Alberto Paloschi is back from his summer injury and has 9 goals in his 8 games so far, and I'm sure he'll soon be re-asserting the proper order within the team. The youngster Sequeira got off to a slow start, but now has 4 goals in his last 4 games and his touch and passing ability in a forward role look like being a real asset once he fully adapts to the new team and new league.

Of the other new arrivals, Jack Wilshere has impressed with 7 goals and 5 assists from midfield in his 12 appearances so far and Eduardo is providing some competition to Marc-Andre ter Stegen in goal, with 6 clean sheets from 10 starts. The real standout performer though has been something of a surprise, with Rafael hitting the ground running after his arrival from Man Utd. He currently has the highest average rating in the squad, with 8.13 from 13 games (just edging ahead of Dominguez) and has also made 5 assists from right back so far, meaning we're not missing Sime Vrsaljko at all.

The Table so far

englishpremierdivisionop.png

leandrosequeiraoverview.png

Leandro is really starting to find his feet in the squad now and hopefully there's plenty more to come. He's just received his first call up to the full Argentine squad, and just recently went a long way to establishing himself as a hero to the Geordie faithful. :D

newcastlevsunderlandspl.png

Pretty good game to get your first hattrick and MoM award for Newcastle in. :cool:

EDIT: Just scored on his full international debut as well, grabbing the equaliser for Argentina against Belgium

@DandyDon what tactic/instructions are you currently using? Into my second season now (don't get enough time to play :( lol) and i go through patches of scoring freely but constantly letting in sloppy goals, to struggling to score against poor teams.

I don't even change my tactic either so I don't know why it happens :/

To everyone as well, I signed Paloschi on a free in the summer, best instruction to play him?

I usually play Sidney Sam/Ricardo Quaresma/Leandro/Ben Arfa in the AMR/L positions, rotating them.

What roles do you guys play your players in for these positions? I've got them as inside forwards but all they do is consantly take long shots and never score, they're instructed to rarely take them as well!!

Any ideas?

Archived