FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Windows 7, 32 bit

Yeah, reading the forums seems the problem only happens on 32 bit version for some reason. Relief for me as I've got 64 bit installed.

As for Vrsaljko, I'd probably accept an offer between 21 and 25 million if they come back in for him. I might have accepted less if I hadn't been planning to spend 20+ million on a player myself.

Yeah, reading the forums seems the problem only happens on 32 bit version for some reason. Relief for me as I've got 64 bit installed.

As for Vrsaljko, I'd probably accept an offer between 21 and 25 million if they come back in for him. I might have accepted less if I hadn't been planning to spend 20+ million on a player myself.

That's typical that, if I had the 64 bit system then the memory leak would of been on that system :rolleyes:.

That is good business if you can get them to go that high.

Might not need to sell Sime to balance the deal after all, have a few other sales going through hopefully. Santon has gone Juventus for 8.25 million, I've got a couple bids around 4 million for Ben Arfa and one of 2.8 million for Tshabalala. Plus some interest in a couple of other players.

Also Man Utd have transfer listed Rafael, so might just pick him up on the cheap and cash in on Vrsaljko anyway.

Here's a quick preview of [more than] a few more of the youngsters I'm bringing in, will show the picks the bunch with the rest linked below..

AlexandrZubkovOverview_Attributes.png

£6k - Scouts seem to think he has the potential to just fall short of Lassana Diarra's ability, but become a leading Premier Division CM. Has a 3 and half star potential.

FrancescoPoliniOverview_Attributes.png

Free- 4 and half star, scouts claim he has the potential to exceed Subotic and become a leading CB. Bargain.

LucasDurnOverview_Attributes.png

Free 4 Star potential, slight concern over his determination but has incredible stats for a 17 year old.

David Jesus Navarro Free 4 Star potential to become better than Erik Pieters and a EPL leading left-back.

Nelson Marques Free

More Russian Lads..

Grigory Shestakov £6k

Mars Smirnov £6k

Sergey Reka £6k

markstewartnewsinbox9.png

Looks like knocking Chelsea back all those times paid off :D

I've already signed Rafael from Man Utd for £5.25 million, and as a bonus he counts as a player Homegrown in England as far as squad limits go. So I've accepted the bid for Vrsaljko and I'll use the money to pay for the Argentinian striker Sequeira that I was looking at.

EDIT: Assuming of course he doesn't surprise me and turn Chelsea down

I've decided to take a break from my Malaga save and start with Newcastle :D I'm thinking about using 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. Any suggestion?

Unless you have a very precisely tailored 4-4-2 system I'd suggest a 4-2-3-1.. I've found having an extra man in midfield to be invaluable, especially when you are playing against teams that go with this type of formation.

I use a variation of the 4-2-3-1 most of the time, and only ever play a traditional 4-4-2 against weaker sides that I know I will win. If and when I do play with two up front, more often than not I sacrifice my right sided midfielder, move in to a holding midfield role and use a right wing back to patrol my right side.

Once your team has gained an understanding of the system you are using only then start changing around to more elaborate systems etc.

Hope this helps..

Unless you have a very precisely tailored 4-4-2 system I'd suggest a 4-2-3-1.. I've found having an extra man in midfield to be invaluable, especially when you are playing against teams that go with this type of formation.

I use a variation of the 4-2-3-1 most of the time, and only ever play a traditional 4-4-2 against weaker sides that I know I will win. If and when I do play with two up front, more often than not I sacrifice my right sided midfielder, move in to a holding midfield role and use a right wing back to patrol my right side.

Once your team has gained an understanding of the system you are using only then start changing around to more elaborate systems etc.

Hope this helps..

Hmm, Good advice :thup: I'm thinking about going 4-3-2-1 with 3MC and 4-2(2DM)-3-1 away against top sides.

I think with the starting squad 4-2-3-1 is possibly the best option to begin with, although irl Pardew seems to favour 4-4-2 at the moment with Best and Ba hassling the opposition defence.

Also a 4-2-3-1 formation with an AMC allows you to use Ben Arfa in his favoured position....though I never got the best out of him so not really one to comment on the way to use him.

It seems now I am very reluctant to play 4-4-2 nowadays, especially on this years Football Manager simply because I am more aware of tactical flaws and venerability in real life. From my understanding I believe it can be a viable formation to use, but I believe you have to be very conscious and have a good understanding of how you set up the partnerships in the team.

For example if you were to field a work shy, highly creative central midfielder; for example Ben Arfa - although he isn't a natual CM, you would have to couple him with a player that his going to pick up his partners slack - for example a Tiote who has good work rate. But still I believe this would be flawed if you were to come up against, say a Stoke side who fielded a three man midfield. Although they may not be so technically gifted with players such as Delap, Whelan, Whitehead they will provide a greater collective together to dominate the central area.

I read a very interesting article today on Trappatoni's use of a 4-4-2 with Ireland; http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/16/trapattoni-ireland-tactics-euro-2012/

Something I've been experimenting with recently in some games is let Kyle Walker or Martin Kelly have free run of the right side as a Wing-Back support, so no right winger or midfielder. This allows me to have an extra man to utilise in midfield whilst allowing for two up top. Defiantly a formation that will become used more often. Works well because the wing back replaces Gutierrez's role who is used primarily a defensive minded player, who isn't required to such an extent in games I am going to dominate through possession.

2012/13 Champions League - 1st Round Knockout Leg.2

A 2-1 defeat away in Dortmund in the first leg meant that I would have to win at St. James' to progress. When the draw was made, I was confident that I could see off the challenge of Dortmund and progress to the Quarters so despite a first leg defeat my spirits were still high.

Line Up:Krul - Kelly, Taylor, Papadopoulos, Santon - Gutierezz, Martin, Eriksen - Shaqiri, Cardozo, Adebayor

Changes from the first leg saw Martin Kelly step up to fill the void at right back after injury to Kyle Walker. The rest of the side saw a very attacking outlook, influenced by the adopted system being tested and seeing convincing wins against Wigan and Sunderland, 4-0 and 3-0 respectively, since the first leg. Gutierezz added balance to the side with his regular defensive winger role, with two creative midfielders in Eriksen and Marvin Martin fielded in the middle of midfield - the thinking behind this was to control the game at all time and give us an extra ability to fashion chances for the front two. A rarity this season saw two fielded upfront with Cardozo sitting deep and Adebayor playing off the last man.

Couldn't have wished for a better start, Dortmund down to ten-men withing four minutes played into my hands. Certainly withdrawing any impotence they may have had in so much as overrunning my defensivly weak central midfield. This allowed me to control the game from the off, as you can see - ending with 69% possession! A very high line was adopted, which pinned Dortmund into their own half allowing for them to only fashion 3 shots at my goal in the 90minutes. It took until the 40th minute before Papadopoulos broke the Dortmund defence which preceded from a goal mouth scramble after a corner.My domination continued into the second half, Adebayor was having a superb game and got of the mark from the spot just before the hour mark. Here I changed the tactics slightly, shortened everyones passing, added extra width, increased the and time wasting settings. This saw me continually pass the ball around the chasing Dortmund players. Adebayor added the nail to the coffin by doubling his tally on the 80th minute and seal a convincing 3-0 win infront of a sell-out at St.James'

NewcastlevDortmundInformation_Overview.png

Quarter Final + Semi Final Draw

EuropeanChampionsCupOverview_Stages.png

On the more favourable side of the draw, meaning that I will only have to face the Spanish giants of Barcelona or Real Madrid in the final. Have faired well against Manchester United so far in the past two seasons in the league; with two 1-0 wins both home and away this campaign, combined with another 1-0 home win last season, only cause for concern would be a 2-0 away defeat last season.

Brilliant win against Dortmund :thup: Not bad Q-Final draw imo, You can do it :)

Vrsaljko could be my first signing depending on work permit :D Sold Alan Smith to QPR for 1.2M, Paying him 19.5K until 2012.

EDIT: FM oversaved my Malaga save with this :(

Brilliant win against Dortmund :thup: Not bad Q-Final draw imo, You can do it :)

Vrsaljko could be my first signing depending on work permit

I'd highly recommend Christian Eriksen as a signing, there's a pretty good thread of him too (Y)[shameless plug]

I think Kevin Keegan's famous qoute is more than relevant at the moment - I would love it if we could beat them. Love it. He’s gone down in my estimation. Manchester United haven’t won this yet, I’d love it if we beat them" :D

9 games to go, 8 points behind City, still have to play them. Outside chance of League Glory this season..

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-1.png

Defiantly the business end of the season.

Signed Vrsaljko for 1M :D Just went in for Vorsah but other clubs are in for him as well.

EDIT: Vorsah joining me :D again, depending on work permit. Don't think I'm going to sign anyone.

Really wish I'd known of Vrsaljko when I started out, looks great player. He's now at Valencia, so no chance of getting him on anything like the price you probably have purchased him for.

Signed Vorsah for 4M. Now Jali could be joining the club :D 1.3M, Had him at Malaga and done brilliantly. Just realized that I got Simpson, Taylor, Santon and Vrsaljko competing for right back /o\

Might be selling Fabricio Coloccini to Wolves for 8.75M.

Signed Vorsah for 4M. Now Jali could be joining the club :D 1.3M, Had him at Malaga and done brilliantly. Just realized that I got Simpson, Taylor, Santon and Vrsaljko competing for right back /o\

Nice signings there, I went all out and signed all my players on 48months in the first season. So was able to get some big names.

I got ride of Danny Simpson in the first transfer window, wasn't in my plans so moved him on asap. Santon has been a reular a left-back this season, due to a demise in form of Erik Pieters.

Might be selling Fabricio Coloccini to Wolves for 8.75M.

Andile Jali looks like being a cracking player. he's at AC Milan on my save and doesn't look out of place there.

What looked like being a quiet transfer window for me has turned in to the total opposite. :p

Having decided to cash in on Vrsaljko to cover my move for Sequeira, I saw Arsenal accept a bid from Everton for Jack Wilshere. Turns out he'd had another falling out with Wenger's replacement Michael Laudrup, refused a new contract and been dumped in the reserves. Couldn't resist so I matched Everton's bid and he chose to come to SJP rather than Goodison.

Unfortunately for Jack and his beloved Gunners if he'd waited a week or two Laudrup got poached by England :D to replace Capello after a disastrous 2014 World Cup,where they barely scraped out of their group, and then got knocked out in the second round by Ivory Coast. As well as Jack's arrival, I've brought in Rafael from Man Utd after he was transfer listed and I may also make a move for Kyle Walker who is currently at Fulham.

On a more negative note I fended off a bid by Barcelona for Marc-Andre ter Stegen, but he's had his head turned and is agitating for a new contract, and I'm not really willing to meet his new wage demands at least not yet anyway.

Andile Jali looks like being a cracking player. he's at AC Milan on my save and doesn't look out of place there.

Any chance of chucking up a screenshot of him? to those people who still got Ba, what role do you using him as?

As the pre-match for my first leg against Man United was loading up Windows decides to restart my computer and install updates. AGGHHHH!! Playing full screen so didn't see it come up.

Has taken me back a month, so will have to re play the Dortmund game, and if I get through will most likely see a different quarter final draw. So annoyed! Haven't played much today, and has undone all my progress. Shall have to scout a whole load of new regens as well.

As the pre-match for my first leg against Man United was loading up Windows decides to restart my computer and install updates. AGGHHHH!! Playing full screen so didn't see it come up.

Has taken me back a month, so will have to re play the Dortmund game, and if I get through will most likely see a different quarter final draw. So annoyed! Haven't played much today, and has undone all my progress. Shall have to scout a whole load of new regens as well.

That sucks :(

Any chance of chucking up a screenshot of him? to those people who still got Ba, what role do you using him as?

Chief cone collector and bench warmer :D In first season he showed some ability as a Poacher, but other than that don't have much experience of using him.

That is the precise reason I started playing in windowed mode. And I started disabling auto-update, got sick of games crashing when windows decided to do it's own thing.

Decided not to sell Coloccini in the end, Wanted 32K p/w until 2013 to move to Wolves.

Tried to get Wellbeck and Chris Wood on loan and both refused to discuss the loan. As they think it would be pointless.

Anyone know a good striker to get or on loan?

Decided not to sell Coloccini in the end, Wanted 32K p/w until 2013 to move to Wolves.

Tried to get Wellbeck and Chris Wood on loan and both refused to discuss the loan. As they think it would be pointless.

Anyone know a good striker to get or on loan?

Sturridge is usually willing to move to Newcastle for the season...is he available?

Been away for a week, so little time for FM and internet etc etc. Was finally able to get season 3 up and running yesterday though, after some heavy (and superb) strengthening during the transfer window thanks to two of my targets being placed in the reserves...

Transfers in - Summer 2013

Jack Rodwell - £5.25m

Aaron Ramsey - £4.2m

Eden Hazard - £17.25m (guess I got lucky there after reading through some previous posts)

Thorgan Hazard - £2.2m (who better to provide backup to Hazard than another Hazard?)

Ravel Morrison - £2.6m

And then a load of regens, some pretty promising ones too

Transfers out - Summer 2013

Gosling - £4.5m, Ipswich

Tiote - £9.25m, Lille

Wilfried - £8m, Ipswich (yeah, I was shocked too)

Martial - £5.25m, Birmingham

And then a load of youths deemed not good enough, and some youths from the start such as Hooper and Tavernier for small fees.

The season itself has started off pretty well. After 7 league games, I'm sitting top with 6 wins and a draw. One game that really pleased me was my opening day trip to Goodison, where I had failed to previously win in two attempts. The scores were level at 3-3 for the majority of the second half, until the 88th minutes when Jay Rodriguez netted his third to put us 4-3 ahead. And just for good measure, in the 92nd minute Eden Hazard popped up to net his second on his debut. Other notable victories were achieved against Arsenal and Man City, both at home.

Cup wise, we lost the Euro Super cup 2-0 against Barca. My fault entirely, cause I never know whether to focus on defense or attack before these games. Ah well. In the Champions League we've been drawn in the same group as AC Milan, Marseille and Dinamo. When the draw was made, I set a target of 12 points (win all home games and drawing away games would do), and I'm currently on course for that after beating Dinamo 4-0 at home and super-sub Ramsey netted a 94th minute equaliser into the top corner from 25 yards away to Marseille. Quite possibly my goal of the season!

There's a couple of things worrying me though, the main one being the World Rankings at present. While it doesn't affect me, I noticed the other day how low Brazil had dropped to. 40th. What's probably more shocking though is Bosnia and Herzegovina are currently 2nd?!

Sturridge?
Chelsea wants most of his wages paid but I can only offer 40% :(

That wasn't a problem, he was pretty decent for me when I had him first season. Go get him!

Been away for a week, so little time for FM and internet etc etc. Was finally able to get season 3 up and running yesterday though, after some heavy (and superb) strengthening during the transfer window thanks to two of my targets being placed in the reserves...

Transfers in - Summer 2013

Jack Rodwell - £5.25m

Aaron Ramsey - £4.2m

Eden Hazard - £17.25m (guess I got lucky there after reading through some previous posts)

Thorgan Hazard - £2.2m (who better to provide backup to Hazard than another Hazard?)

Ravel Morrison - £2.6m

And then a load of regens, some pretty promising ones too

That's some nice business with Rodwell, Ramsey and E.Hazard - three players I've been keeping my eye on, along with Ross Barkely and Wilshere. But Everton and Lille want stupid amounts for them and Ramsey isn't interested at all. Just a few months behind you, so the situations may change come summer.

In other news, just replayed the Dortmund game and smashed them 3-0; this time they kept all 11 men on the pitch so was an even better result. Now all I need is Karma to prevail and give me Sporting Lisbon in the Quarters.. fingers crossed.

That's funny as I signed him in the first season then sold him to AC Milan in the second season for £10m.

That's some nice business with Rodwell, Ramsey and E.Hazard - three players I've been keeping my eye on, along with Ross Barkely and Wilshere. But Everton and Lille want stupid amounts for them and Ramsey isn't interested at all. Just a few months behind you, so the situations may change come summer.
Cheers. I was rather chuffed at getting those three for the prices I paid tbh. Rodwell was unhappy at Everton and had requested a transfer cause he wanted a new challenge so he got put in the reserves, which I was shocked by cause Everton are one of his favoured clubs. Ramsey was just randomly placed in the reserves - I only noticed when I filtered through my scout reports pre-season and he remained there after filtering out unrealistic transfers. I had originally wanted Barkley instead, but I'm happy with him. As for Hazard, I must have made 10+ bids, and in the end we agreed on the fee, but only after Hazard complained that bids were rejected!

Congrats on beating Dortmund too!

Cheers. I was rather chuffed at getting those three for the prices I paid tbh. Rodwell was unhappy at Everton and had requested a transfer cause he wanted a new challenge so he got put in the reserves, which I was shocked by cause Everton are one of his favoured clubs. Ramsey was just randomly placed in the reserves - I only noticed when I filtered through my scout reports pre-season and he remained there after filtering out unrealistic transfers. I had originally wanted Barkley instead, but I'm happy with him. As for Hazard, I must have made 10+ bids, and in the end we agreed on the fee, but only after Hazard complained that bids were rejected!

Congrats on beating Dortmund too!

I don't think I'll be so fortunate. Went after Hazard at the start of this season - summer 2012; scouts said Lille would want around £40million for him, had bids accepted of around £35m accepted if I recall - transfer would have been entirely paid over 48months due to me spending big on Walker, Papadopoulos, Martin so decided against it for the time being. I've got Shaqiri for the time being but he's defiantly on my radar. Purely because he's just so damn good, was awesome on FM11 when I had him at Barca.

I always seem to buy players that I have no real need for; and that could be the case next transfer window. Will look at Hazard along with Ganso and Neymar to see if they want to move this year, can't help but notice the rave reviews of Damiao; as well as the English(Welsh) guys(s) of Barkley, Wilshere, Rodwell and Ramsey. Mario Gotze is also a player I'd like to manage on this year, so if I get a chance to bring him in I don't think I'll pass up the opportunity. All of these are long term targets, but hopefully I'll bring in one or two.

Plus I've got millions scout reports on regens I'll trawl through and most likely select a few of them to build a youth team out of, seeing as my intake were awful. So shall be a busy summer, hopefully.

Bit of a surprise move in the transfer window, Arsenal came calling for Moussa Sow. Looking at their squad, Van Persie was injured again and it looked like they were worried about having to rely on Nick Bendtnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and his Amazing Pink Boots of Fury for goals this season.

I rejected their initial bid, but when they came back with an offer of 16.25million, i decided to accept. Sow has been great for us, but Paloschi has been just as good and proved the less injury prone, so with Sow approaching 30, I decided it was too good an offer to turn down at this point.

of course if he scores 30 goals for them this season i might just have to slap myself.

Bit of a surprise move in the transfer window, Arsenal came calling for Moussa Sow. Looking at their squad, Van Persie was injured again and it looked like they were worried about having to rely on Nick Bendtnerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and his Amazing Pink Boots of Fury for goals this season.

I rejected their initial bid, but when they came back with an offer of 16.25million, i decided to accept. Sow has been great for us, but Paloschi has been just as good and proved the less injury prone, so with Sow approaching 30, I decided it was too good an offer to turn down at this point.

of course if he scores 30 goals for them this season i might just have to slap myself.

That's a brave decision selling Sow there Dandy, I hope you don't end up regretting it later on.

That's a brave decision selling Sow there Dandy, I hope you don't end up regretting it later on.

Well I'm hoping Sequeira gets his work permit, and I have my eye on another poacher type striker for about 10 million as a back up. Same sort of pace and composure as Sow, but a few years younger.

But yes, fingers crossed it doesn't come back and bite my ample behind later in the season :D

NEWCASTLE SEASON 3 REVIEW.

We nearly had a unbeaten season in the Premier League but on the last day of the season we lost our game at Old Trafford against Manchester United 3-0.

We broke two league records this season most points 97 and 56 games without losing.

PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE.

nufcepltableendofseason.jpg

IN THE CUPS.

Community Shield. Leicester City 0-3 Newcastle United.

Carling cup semi final 1st leg. Newcastle United 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur.

Carling cup semi final 2nd leg. Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Newcastle United.

FA cup quater final. Blackpool 2-1 Newcastle United.

European Super cup. Villarreal 0-2 Newcastle United.

World club cup final. Santos 0-1 Newcastle United.

Champions League final. Bayern Munich 0-1 Newcastle United.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FIXTURES.

nufcchampionsleaguefixt.jpg

THE SQUAD.

nufcsquadendofseason3.jpg

THE FUTURE.

We have already agreed to sell three squad players next season that were unhappy and kept asking to leave, Mario Balotelli to Lyon, Junior Hoillet to Ajax and Dan Gosling to Aston Villa so they will need replacing.

I have agreed to sign about 50 Russian regens with a compensation fee of just £6.25k and they will join up when they are 18 years old. Theres a good mix of regens with about 10 of them having the potential to be leading Premier League players, about 20 of them with potential to be good Premier league players and the rest are decent Premier league/good Championship players.

Archived