FM12: Leeds United - Bring back the glory days

AidanofLFC

Update on season so far, have reached January and currently sitting in 4th, 3 points off automatic. Highlight so far a cracking 5-0 win against Leicester, who were 2nd at the time, 2 goals apiece for Sanogo and Howson with O.brien scoring from a corner. Looking to offload Sam, White and Kisnorbo and bring in a decent defensive midfielder, Eric Addo is pants. Best players so far, Parnaby and Snodgrass. Playing 4-2-3-1 at moment

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Followed it up with 6 against Oldham in the cup and 5 against Portsmouth. We'll go ok when we gel. :)

Nice, that's going to be a very good side you've put together there. I'm really going slow to start off with and trying to make sure I get the right players, can you keep us posted how you get on with Jali, he's been awesome for me in his first couple of friendlies.

Also, how's Mouche ? Looked at him about a dozen times and can't make my mind up...

For some reason I'm taking it all quite serious this year!

Edit: On Quintero, I signed him in FM11 and he got 70 goals in my first season, he's simply awesome, one of the best strikers I've ever had on FM, he won't let you down!

I'm doing the same macca, trying to build slowly on this save and not go mad with the spending, so I expect it will take me a few seasons in the Prem before I'm challenging for European places etc.

But just out of interest, Udinese just bought Andile Jali on my game (at start of 3rd season) - they paid £20m for him. :)

I'm just about done with signings for start of my 2nd season in the Prem, a few key ones which I hope will make a big difference:

Martin Mannel - GK - £6M

Mattia Destro - Striker - £5.5m

Zakaria Labyad - Midfielder - £6m

Plus a load of regens for up to £2m or so each, building for the long term here!

Keogh, Howson and Clayton have all been moved on, so now it's just Lees, Gimpel, White and Snodgrass remaining from the original Leeds squad.

Nice, that's going to be a very good side you've put together there. I'm really going slow to start off with and trying to make sure I get the right players, can you keep us posted how you get on with Jali, he's been awesome for me in his first couple of friendlies.

Also, how's Mouche ? Looked at him about a dozen times and can't make my mind up...

For some reason I'm taking it all quite serious this year!

Edit: On Quintero, I signed him in FM11 and he got 70 goals in my first season, he's simply awesome, one of the best strikers I've ever had on FM, he won't let you down!

Will do, think Jali could be a Leeds legend; fantastic find of yours that. Mouche looks to have been "toned down" a lot this year, but he still looks like he could make a tidy AML. That was the decider in signing him. I'd like Quintero to have higher composure really, but at Championship level it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd take the 70 goals - think he's scored 10 or more so far!

So, finally ready to go first game at home to Derby, I'm still 3 players short I reckon, but I'll see what comes up before the window, still have £1.8m and 14k wages, so should be able to bring at least 2 in with that.

Got my eye on Lee Wallace from Rangers, has he moved on anyones save? If so what did he go for?

Got Maurice Edu in on loan as my second DM, although I've tweaked tactics a bit and will be rotating him and Howson.

Team for Derby - Lonergan, Parnaby, Pugh, Gioda, Lees, Jali, Howson, Vayrynen, Snodgrass, Ephraim & McCormack.

Well there we go first season in the Premiership is done

englishpremierdivisiono.png

Had a great run in the begining of the season and was fighting for European spot, but after 1. january it all went down the drains and I only won 4, draw 4 and lost 10, making my final position 12th which I was very happy with, yet so frustrated since it went so well in the begining.

So now I will go and get in some quality players to do even better next season.

phenomenal job

Yep excellent first season in the Prem there Thorovic, top stuff. :thup:

Macca - Lee Wallace looks decent, he's gone to Blackburn for £4m on my game.

I've now signed 20 players in the summer prior to my 2nd Prem season, mostly youngsters.

Most interesting ones are probably the Tsonev twins - 18 year old twins Borislav Tsonev and Radoslav Tsonev, play for Levski Sofia, got them for £100k each and both rated as potential key players for the team by my assman. I'd scouted them both separately and put in bids before I realised they were twins, would be cool if they do turn out to be good players as I quite like the idea of having twin brothers playing together in my central midfield. :D

Thanks for posting your squad up Thorovic, always interesting to see which players others are using as I'm at exactly the same stage as you on my game.

I think the only players we have in common are Bakenga and Andersen Aase, pretty sure I also looked at signing Carlos Fierro but ended up passing on him. I'll be scouting a few of the others you have later I think. :)

hey guys how soon do you try and sign quintero, said he wasn't interested last night, I've started again for a 3rd time lol due to spending all my money and having 3 strikers at the club (Becchio, Forsell and McCormack signed too many players that weren't actually DM's (Cardacio, Pattison etc) 3 defenders gioda, botinelli and parnaby.

is it worth still signing cardacio?

so far trying for :-

DR Parnaby - yet to see anyone better

DL Robinson loan

DC Gioda, Caruzzo

DM Jali, Frimpong on loan

AMR Matt philips from blackpool

AML Ryo Hadouken (I know it isn't Ryu) Miyaichi

SC Lualua and quintero hopefully

anyone else I could look at?

gunna sign salva ruiz and moises on youth contracts

selling : -

Bromby

O'Brien

Bruce

Parker

Nunez

with a heavy heart possibly Clayton

Paynter

no point attempting with sam no-one ever wants him

cheers for any help

hey guys how soon do you try and sign quintero, said he wasn't interested last night, I've started again for a 3rd time lol due to spending all my money and having 3 strikers at the club (Becchio, Forsell and McCormack signed too many players that weren't actually DM's (Cardacio, Pattison etc) 3 defenders gioda, botinelli and parnaby.

is it worth still signing cardacio?

so far trying for :-

DR Parnaby - yet to see anyone better

DL Robinson loan

DC Gioda, Caruzzo

DM Jali, Frimpong on loan

AMR Matt philips from blackpool

AML Ryo Hadouken (I know it isn't Ryu) Miyaichi

SC Lualua and quintero hopefully

anyone else I could look at?

gunna sign salva ruiz and moises on youth contracts

selling : -

Bromby

O'Brien

Bruce

Parker

Nunez

with a heavy heart possibly Clayton

Paynter

no point attempting with sam no-one ever wants him

cheers for any help

You can easily retrain Cardacio to DMC. With Quintero I made him my very first signing and he came easily enough. You could try personal interaction through the press to "sweeten" him up?

yeah nicko I have, great and loan signings worth 10 k each that I could sort after signings :s could be another restart cause gunna miss out on jali otherwise

yeah I'm back elland lol, I did have a few months on it between august and sept, with Guisley, got them to the premiership then Gears of war 3 came out lol

so do you sign your players 1 at a time then?

After several restarts, using various tactics I can only conclude that winning games as Leeds with the actual squad is a task fot for Hercules himself.

Our players are terrible and I have to assume that the SI research team for Leeds Utd was led by a crack team of Aidrian Durham and Alex Ferguson. Why is Football Manager always so biased against Leeds?

yeah nicko I have, great and loan signings worth 10 k each that I could sort after signings :s could be another restart cause gunna miss out on jali otherwise

yeah I'm back elland lol, I did have a few months on it between august and sept, with Guisley, got them to the premiership then Gears of war 3 came out lol

so do you sign your players 1 at a time then?

I followed Coen's suggested player set up and then repeatedly loaded up a new game until I got a game with the Ben Gordon sell on clause of £244K. This helps a bit at game start. I terminated Sam's contract immediately because this saved £5K and no one ever wants him. I then went for Quintero/Jali immediately as the two priority signings. Quintero can be got for £2.2M over 48 months. Offer £1.4M over 48 for him and his club will immediately start negotiating. Negotiate hard on his contract and bonuses and then offer him a little sweetener so he signs. He gets a w/p straight away. Geesus he has scored 17 goals in 12 league games for me and I can not recommend him highly enough. Jali can be picked up for a straight £500k I understand, but you might want to try this over 48 months. Keep an eye on the offer as other clubs are in for him immediately, this is why I had to match offers of £1M over 48 to get him. He'll want a match high earner clause, so negotiate hard to get rid of it as it will cost you over time. I think he is possibly the second best player you can sign. Just to add you'll need to sweeten him up too, or he'll go elsewhere.

After several restarts, using various tactics I can only conclude that winning games as Leeds with the actual squad is a task fot for Hercules himself.

Our players are terrible and I have to assume that the SI research team for Leeds Utd was led by a crack team of Aidrian Durham and Alex Ferguson. Why is Football Manager always so biased against Leeds?

Yeah I agree, think most people are finding that they need to make huge changes to the starting Leeds squad to really get anywhere. Personally I used the starting midfield but completely changed the defence and strikers.

Bit annoying given how well the real squad is doing, and frustrating for those of us that would have liked to keep things close to the real life squad.

As I found it interesting to see Thorovic's squad at the start of the 2nd season in the Premier League - here's mine. :)

LeedsUnitedSquad_Players-2.png

And looking at that, I've just decided that the left back position needs strengthening!

Coen, when i said sign more experienced players i didn't mean that experienced... You signed Pele ?? :p;)

Coen, when i said sign more experienced players i didn't mean that experienced... You signed Pele ?? :p;)

It's not THAT Pele! :p

Anyway, first game of the season - beat defending champions Man City 1-0 in the Community Shield. I'm quite optimistic about being able to finish higher than 16th in the league this year. :D

Sat in class at uni bored out of my mind, so ill try remember off the top of my head what's happened since my last post.

Won the league with west Ham coming 2nd.

So as for outgoings:

Sam - contract finally expired

Bromby - free I think

Gomez - 100k I think

Becchio - 500k

Somma - free

Incoming:

Kyle Walker - 4m over 48 months

Fabian Delph - 5m over 48 months

Andrea Poli - 12m over 48 months

Ryan Shawcross - 14m over 48 months

Luis Guliherme - 2m gave him a try and he got a w/p on appeal

Pablo Mouche - 400k needed a left wing option no one really grabbed me too much/wouldn't come so settled for the cheap option with white 1st choice mouche/Pugh back up.

Wanted to get miyaichi in permenent as he did well for me last year but he wants to stay at arsenal. May get him in on loan again.

Really want a quality AM and my dream nearly came true as man city started offering milner to clubs for 5.25m (wanted him already but wasn't interested until he was transfer listed) but I can get my wage budget high enough to sign him :(

Will post up my squad when I'm home its taking far too long to type on my phone.

1st 2 fixtures couldn't of really asked for a harder start Man United at Home and Arsenal Away.

Man u went 1 up wilfried equalizes and then he scores again to put us 2-1 up. Think were going to snatch a win but they equalize in late 80mins. But I would have taken a draw before the match.

Arsenal match can't remember how the scoring went but ended as 3-3 two for wilfried again sandwiched with one from varyenen.

Brilliant couple of points and a good start to the season if you ask me.

Just looking for a better AML and AMC really.

Nice squad there Coen, always fun seeing these squad and see how much they change over time.

You have the same approach as me that nationality doesnt matter and only have 1 englishmen :) and the age of the squad is great with so much potential :)

And I think its spot on you need a better left back :)

Here's my squad and transfers after my first league game, im now completely skint, transfer and wage budget wise. Still got money in the bank though

Squad

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc395/AidanofLfc/LeedsUnitedSquad_Players.jpg

Transfers

http://http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc395/AidanofLfc/LeedsTransfers_History-1.jpg

not sure how you managed 750 k for o'brien? I had to let him go for free to the very same team

you can get 900k for nunez is you offer him for 1mil - I offered for 1.5mil and i got 950k but most was over 48 months

you can get 550k for bruce if you offer for 600k

Sat in class at uni bored out of my mind, so ill try remember off the top of my head what's happened since my last post.

Won the league with west Ham coming 2nd.

So as for outgoings:

Sam - contract finally expired

Bromby - free I think

Gomez - 100k I think

Becchio - 500k

Somma - free

Incoming:

Kyle Walker - 4m over 48 months

Fabian Delph - 5m over 48 months

Andrea Poli - 12m over 48 months

Ryan Shawcross - 14m over 48 months

Luis Guliherme - 2m gave him a try and he got a w/p on appeal

Pablo Mouche - 400k needed a left wing option no one really grabbed me too much/wouldn't come so settled for the cheap option with white 1st choice mouche/Pugh back up.

Wanted to get miyaichi in permenent as he did well for me last year but he wants to stay at arsenal. May get him in on loan again.

Really want a quality AM and my dream nearly came true as man city started offering milner to clubs for 5.25m (wanted him already but wasn't interested until he was transfer listed) but I can get my wage budget high enough to sign him :(

Will post up my squad when I'm home its taking far too long to type on my phone.

1st 2 fixtures couldn't of really asked for a harder start Man United at Home and Arsenal Away.

Man u went 1 up wilfried equalizes and then he scores again to put us 2-1 up. Think were going to snatch a win but they equalize in late 80mins. But I would have taken a draw before the match.

Arsenal match can't remember how the scoring went but ended as 3-3 two for wilfried again sandwiched with one from varyenen.

Brilliant couple of points and a good start to the season if you ask me.

Just looking for a better AML and AMC really.

So here's my squad for the coming season:

GK: Guliherme/Smithies

DR: Walker/Lees/Parnaby

CB: Shawcross/Kisnorbo

CB: Lees/Gimpel

LB: Mattock/Pugh/White

CM: Poli/Clayton

CM: Delph/Howson

AMR: Snodgrass/White/Clayton/Howson

AMC: Varyenen/Howson/Clayton

AML: White/Mouche/Pugh

ST: Wilfried/Sanogo

And looking at that I think I need another winger.

After painstakingly worked through pre-season and into the first two games, I feel like I've looked at every player on the game, but am fairly happy with the signings I've made. I still need a solid LB, Quick striker and another DC, but we'll have to see what January brings for those.

My final recommendations would be...

RB - Ivan Bandalovski - Really cheap (150k + 5k wages) and his stats are great for Championship

CB - Gioda - Again cheap (150k 7.5k wages) will be my first choice CB

DM - Frimpong & Edu on loan, and signed Jali perm.

AML - McCourt, expensive at £1.5m over 48 months, but he'll last me for 3 years at least

Although I haven't signed Quintero, I would recommend him 100% if you're looking for a striker, I can't afford him sadly. I've also got no idea for another DC (need pace really) so if you find anyone Geesus, let me know.

Started the season well though, beat Derby 4-0 first game, followed by a 7-0 mauling of Macclesfield in the Cup. Including friendlies I've played 6, won 6 scoring 33 and conceeding 0.

After painstakingly worked through pre-season and into the first two games, I feel like I've looked at every player on the game, but am fairly happy with the signings I've made. I still need a solid LB, Quick striker and another DC, but we'll have to see what January brings for those.

RB - Ivan Bandalovski - Really cheap (150k + 5k wages) and his stats are great for Championship

AML - McCourt, expensive at £1.5m over 48 months, but he'll last me for 3 years at least

Although I haven't signed Quintero, I would recommend him 100% if you're looking for a striker, I can't afford him sadly. I've also got no idea for another DC (need pace really) so if you find anyone Geesus, let me know.

Started the season well though, beat Derby 4-0 first game, followed by a 7-0 mauling of Macclesfield in the Cup. Including friendlies I've played 6, won 6 scoring 33 and conceeding 0.

Geesus & Macca72

Have a look at Yordan Miliev DC

Was in earlier post

Going well Macca. The Bulgarian RB is a great find. If I was starting again, with those attributes and at that price, I'd have him too.

I signed Francisco Pavon (DC) on a free at the start of my game, I only used him for the one season but he did a decent job in the Championship for me.

I've also checkout out Bandalovski at RB, he does look excellent and was available for £50k at the start on my game - of course someone else snapped him up and he's now valued at £4m, but great find, he'd be one I'd go for if I were to start again as well.

cheers guys for the help guys, unfortunately I remembered a defender from last year - Guus Joppen, 21 year old dutch 600k DC 4,500 a week

so my ins

Quintero 2.2mil

Moises free

Salva Ruiz free

Jali 1 mil

Chiumiento 1.1mil

Jack robinson loan

Parnaby free

Miyaichi loan

Caruzzo 2.2mil

Cardacio free

Joppen 600k

outs

sam free

bromby loan 50% wages 16k fee

O'Brien free

Bruce 550k

Paynter loan 90% wages 75k fee

Parker 40k

Nunez 900k

so my team for the season ahead

GK Lonergan/Rachubka

DR Parnaby/Connolly

DRC Caruzzo/Kisnorbo

DLC Joppen/Lees/Gimpel

DL Pugh/White/Robinson

DMR Jali/Cardacio/Brown

DML Howson/Clayton

AMR Snodgrass/Vayrynen

AML Chiumiento/Miyaichi

SCR Quintero/Becchio

SCL McCormack/Forsell

could do with another striker but I'm out of cash, I have 20k left on wages but it only accounts to about 120k transfer funds

see how I get on although after 2 games I drew 1-1 at home with watford after hitting the woodwork 5 times and conceded from a corner, then had to rely on extra time vs rotherham 3-1 but half my team was on international duty - whats with that? I had snoddy up front, Clayton on the right, could only name 5 subs instead of 7 including Rachubka, Joppen, Brown, Parnaby and Moises (no strikers or wingers on the bench - 6 players on international duty! also Quintero and chiumiento both got injured in training for 4-5 weeks before the cup game - thanks lol

Is Becchio worth keeping? is he sellable before the end of the transfer window?

Is Becchio worth keeping? is he sellable before the end of the transfer window?

I've never been able to sell him, but have had no trouble loaning him out. Put him on the conditioning training preset which gets him just about fit for the last week before the window. I loan him out because he is on big money and because he is not HG - I've bought plenty of those! Good luck with the season pal.

Edit. Suggest you get Quintero to place shots, hope he goes well for you!

cheers nicko, regarding quintero, It won't let me ask him at the minute, is it cause he is injured at the mo?

You need to go to interaction>start preferred move training>finishing training> place shots.

But, you'll need to have a coach to do it. If you do and it doesn't show then it will be his injury status I guess.

This is my team at the mo

GK Lonergan/Rachubka

DR Parnaby Lees

DL Silva Pugh

DC Gioda Bottinelli Lees Gimpel

AMR Fernandez Shikabala

AML Shikabala White

MC Jali Letsonhonyane Howson Brown

ST Quintero Mouche Velikonja Forsell Becchio

Sold O'Brien 750K McCormack 1.8mill Paynter loan 300K Bruce 550k Clayton 1.5mill Kisnorbo 400k Nunez 950k Bromby loan 130k Snoddy 6.75 mill Sam free

Need a good GK for Champ/Prem was thinking about Scott Loach.

Have got 3.5 mill to spend with my wheeling dealing :o

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

If you want HG he is a good choice - and he becomes unhappy so you can unsettle him. Fernando Henrique is the best I found but he is not HG (obviously), I've delayed signing him as he is running his contract down and I figure I can pick up him cheaply towards the end of the first season. Lonnie is actually pretty good though for the first season.

This is my team at the mo

GK Lonergan/Rachubka

DR Parnaby Lees

DL Silva Pugh

DC Gioda Bottinelli Lees Gimpel

AMR Fernandez Shikabala

AML Shikabala White

MC Jali Letsonhonyane Howson Brown

ST Quintero Mouche Velikonja Forsell Becchio

Sold O'Brien 750K McCormack 1.8mill Paynter loan 300K Bruce 550k Clayton 1.5mill Kisnorbo 400k Nunez 950k Bromby loan 130k Snoddy 6.75 mill Sam free

Any ideas?

Very good side. From what I've seen and read, I think that you could only improve with:

The Bulgarian DR Macca recommended.

Wilfried (an immense beast).

Kara. Saw him in another thread, described as a midfield wrecking ball! Will he come, would he get a w/p?

Archived