FM12: Leeds United - Bring back the glory days

AidanofLFC

I'll probably look to sell Nunez, Bruce, Bromby, Kisnorbo and Paynter to start with - Nunez because he can only really play at AMC and I don't think I'll be using a formation that utilises an AMC (otherwise I'd keep him), the 3 defenders because we have other better defenders and Bruce and Kisnorbo are wanted by other clubs, and Paynter because he's rubbish. :p

Clayton aint going anywhere though!

I'm also not particularly keen on using loan players in the Championship as I'd rather try to buy young players and start developing them as soon as possible, so I probably won't be using any loans.

Full agreement there Coen!!!

I hate getting in "loan" players as they don't seem to settle.

I would rather get in permanent good players for main squad or promising youngsters as back up :thup:

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Full agreement there Coen!!!

I hate getting in "loan" players as they don't seem to settle.

I would rather get in permanent good players for main squad or promising youngsters as back up :thup:

I'll use them - after the squad slash and burn I'll need to get the squad HG content up. I can't see there being too many South Americans who are HG : )

Yep pretty much my thoughts as well. Although can probably make do with Pugh/White as back up for the DL position. But with those changes I think the squad should be good enough for play offs at least.

Longer term though, not sure there's that many of the current squad that are going be up to the Premier League. At the moment I'm thinking only Snodgrass, Howson, Clayton, Pugh, White, Lees and Gimpel might be able to cut it, so will need to be a lot of rebuilding to be ready for the Premier League even if not many changes are needed to get there.

If any one has any reservations about Coen's comments here, you may want to have a read of the new Southampton 2012 thread. There are a number of screenies in the thread which show the real quality of the players at Southampton's disposal. Additionally, have a look at the screenie that shows start of season expectations. The transfer cash and wage budget available makes sobering reading for us...

If any one has any reservations about Coen's comments here, you may want to have a read of the new Southampton 2012 thread. There are a number of screenies in the thread which show the real quality of the players at Southampton's disposal. Additionally, have a look at the screenie that shows start of season expectations. The transfer cash and wage budget available makes sobering reading for us...

Leicester City have something along the same lines in terms of budget for the first season but that's the challenge of it, beating the big spenders on a shoe string budget. The thread is without doubt brilliant though, had no idea they were now owned by a billionaire. Always made me wonder why no one with plenty of cash ever bought Leeds, the club is massive and was going for pennies on the pound if what i read was true, awesome training facilities and a massive world wide fan base..... I don't see a down side, apart from the old debt we had but for a billionaire the debt amount we had was a weekend in vegas to some.

I'm also not particularly keen on using loan players in the Championship as I'd rather try to buy young players and start developing them as soon as possible, so I probably won't be using any loans.

While I would agree with the principle, I just dont think Leeds have the budget to be able to attract young players with the ability to go straight into the first team. Hopefully when the full game is released there will be more quality youngsters available at bargain prices - so instead of spending 3M on Sanogo, could buy 4 or 5 for the same price to cover different positions and thered be less need for loans.

Hi Elland, good to see you still around as well. :)

Kinda given up on the demo for now, I've played around with a few formations etc but really need the full game now so I can start looking at some proper players (and of course see what South American gems Nicko can unearth this year!)

I think I've decided I'll go for my usual 4-4-2 formation, with Snodgrass pushed forward as a AMR as he's excellent there. The starting squad looks close to being good enough for a play-off spot without the need for wholesale changes, but what the heck, I'm the same as Nicko - I'll probably make loads of changes anyway. :lol:

And Nicko - yep already scouted out a few old favourites like Yaya Sanogo and Vaclav Kadlec, will be looking to bring young Yaya to Elland Road again this time around I think.

On your 442 formation do you play with a MCd & MCa or 2 Mcd's?

While I would agree with the principle, I just dont think Leeds have the budget to be able to attract young players with the ability to go straight into the first team. Hopefully when the full game is released there will be more quality youngsters available at bargain prices - so instead of spending 3M on Sanogo, could buy 4 or 5 for the same price to cover different positions and thered be less need for loans.

Yeah the problem with signing Sanogo is it would pretty much wipe out my entire transfer budget (possibly for a few seasons if I don't get promoted right away) so I might end up not really being able to sign anyone else. It feels like it's probably too much to spend on 1 player in the Championship. Ah so many decisions!

On your 442 formation do you play with a MCd & MCa or 2 Mcd's?

My standard tactic for the last few FMs has been based around a Ball Winning Midfielder (defend) and an Advanced Playmaker (support) as the central midfield pairing, with one Winger (attack) and one Wide Midfielder (support). Then the two strikers are generally Poacher (attack) and Deep Lying Forward (support)

I've not really tried it that much on the demo so far but Brown (and Howson!) both seem ok as Ball Winning Midfielders, and Clayton can do the Advanced Playmaker role so it should work well enough with the starting Leeds squad.

Yes I have been playing the same with both MC's.

But with 2 wide midfielders playing as wingers (Attack) with Deep Lying Forward (Support) & Poacher (Attack)

I tend to vary the settings of the wide players depending on the game/opposition etc, sometimes it will be 2 wingers, other times I'll put a wide midfielder in if I think I need to play a bit more defensively. I also like to have a few players in the squad who can play either the central advanced playmaking role or one of the wide ones, as well as a few players who are out and out wingers.

Always good to have options in midfield - it's generally the area I vary from match to match, whereas the defence and strikers tend to be be more fixed.

Also once I have good enough players I'll set the support striker as a Complete Forward rather than a Deep Lying Foward - but they do need to be much better players to be able to do this!

I tend to vary the settings of the wide players depending on the game/opposition etc, sometimes it will be 2 wingers, other times I'll put a wide midfielder in if I think I need to play a bit more defensively. I also like to have a few players in the squad who can play either the central advanced playmaking role or one of the wide ones, as well as a few players who are out and out wingers.

Always good to have options in midfield - it's generally the area I vary from match to match, whereas the defence and strikers tend to be be more fixed.

Also once I have good enough players I'll set the support striker as a Complete Forward rather than a Deep Lying Foward - but they do need to be much better players to be able to do this!

Thats why I keep them as wide midfielders set as wingers. If I need to play more defensive then I set them to defensive wingers (Covers both options) & that also settles the midfield option as well as the attack & defence

Hey fellow Leeds managers.

Now that the new game is coming I will for sure take a hit on managing Leeds as that is my all time favorite club in management.

I myself have not been that much of a fan of FM Demos but I will be using this one as my knowledge gathering into the Leeds team, Along with getting used to the new layout of the game, which I find very good.

As for the Leeds team I find it very appealing in this version of FM as it has so much potential in being a great squad, Key factor for me is seeing how finally Captain fabulous Howson looks this year, for in many earlier FMs he hasnt been all that good for me.

I am for sure going to use a 4-4-2 tactic for I am not that fond of a 4-2-3-1 tho i have that as a backup.

There are some key positions that I find Leeds needs better players and as many have pointed out those are for sure the DL and DR positions.

Another position that I think needs improving is the goalie as for Lonergan just didnt do it for me in the first friendlies.

In my first run in the Demo I went on and changed the squad a bit:

Ins:

Parnaby (free)

Jack Robinsson (loan)

Yaya Sanogo (3M)

Danny Rose (loan)

Flanagan (loan)

Scott Loach (2.6M)

Korey Smith (3.1M)

Outs:

Paynter (625k)

Bruce (825k)

Clayton (1.5M)

Bromby (loan)

Nunez (850k)

Connolly (325k)

These are the changed that I did and I'm about to go on and kick start the season and see how it goes.

Will keep you posted :)

Hey fellow Leeds managers.

Now that the new game is coming I will for sure take a hit on managing Leeds as that is my all time favorite club in management.

I myself have not been that much of a fan of FM Demos but I will be using this one as my knowledge gathering into the Leeds team, Along with getting used to the new layout of the game, which I find very good.

As for the Leeds team I find it very appealing in this version of FM as it has so much potential in being a great squad, Key factor for me is seeing how finally Captain fabulous Howson looks this year, for in many earlier FMs he hasnt been all that good for me.

I am for sure going to use a 4-4-2 tactic for I am not that fond of a 4-2-3-1 tho i have that as a backup.

There are some key positions that I find Leeds needs better players and as many have pointed out those are for sure the DL and DR positions.

Another position that I think needs improving is the goalie as for Lonergan just didnt do it for me in the first friendlies.

In my first run in the Demo I went on and changed the squad a bit:

Ins:

Parnaby (free)

Jack Robinsson (loan)

Yaya Sanogo (3M)

Danny Rose (loan)

Flanagan (loan)

Scott Loach (2.6M)

Korey Smith (3.1M)

Outs:

Paynter (625k)

Bruce (825k)

Clayton (1.5M)

Bromby (loan)

Nunez (850k)

Connolly (325k)

These are the changed that I did and I'm about to go on and kick start the season and see how it goes.

Will keep you posted :)

Good update and some interesting transfers. But, how on earth did you get £625k for Paynter?

Good update and some interesting transfers. But, how on earth did you get £625k for Paynter?

I dont know, think I offered him out for a 750K or something and I guess Peterborough really wanted him with as they offered 625k that I took quickly.

Well off to a horrible start, 0-3 loss against Middlesbrough, with me having 19 shots, 8 on T, and 5 CCC. Well it cant go but up from there...

I dont know, think I offered him out for a 750K or something and I guess Peterborough really wanted him with as they offered 625k that I took quickly.

Well off to a horrible start, 0-3 loss against Middlesbrough, with me having 19 shots, 8 on T, and 5 CCC. Well it cant go but up from there...

He went to Peterborough on my game as well.... But for alot less.

Just a quick update on my tactics.

Have gone back to FM11 & am now playing a 5x5 split between defend & attack.

FB's DC's & MCd all set to defend.

Wingers MCa & Strikers all set to attack.

Pushed both wingers forward ie as AMR & AML.

FB's set to automatic

DC as cover (the one with more pace)

DC as defend (jumping & strength)

MCd as Ball Winning Midfielder

MCa as Advanced Playmaker

ST as Deep Lying Forward

ST as Poacher

Lots of goals scored & not many conceded!!!

So Elland - no players set on "support", just 5 defend and 5 attack?

I've always had a few players set as "support", generally the Deep Lying Forward and the MCa Advanced Playmaker. Never really tried having them attack as well, will have to give it a try!

So Elland - no players set on "support", just 5 defend and 5 attack?

I've always had a few players set as "support", generally the Deep Lying Forward and the MCa Advanced Playmaker. Never really tried having them attack as well, will have to give it a try!

I was going through some old tactics posts on forums & I saw Crouchaldino's Simplicity Tactic. It gives three 4-4-2 formations (balanced, attack & defensive) all with a 5x5 split. So thought I would give them a try!!!

So far absolutely amazing on all 3 formations.

I was going through some old tactics posts on forums & I saw Crouchaldino's Simplicity Tactic. It gives three 4-4-2 formations (balanced, attack & defensive) all with a 5x5 split. So thought I would give them a try!!!

Interesting, will have to try that as well then cheers. :thup:

Hi all,

New to the FM forums but played FM for many many years! Always with Leeds United too! :)

So I'm on my 2nd run of the demo now. I played my first run through with the starting squad and didn't buy/sell anyone. By January i was in 8th place in the championship (2 points off playoffs and 13 points off the league leaders Bristol City!) and this lead to me getting the sack. My starting 11 was the standard 4-4-2 of (Lonergan, Lee's, OB, Kisnorbo, White/Parker, Snoddy, Brown/Clayton, Howson, Pugh, McCormack/Keogh, Forsell/Becchio.) No real cup runs to talk to either in those 6 months so pretty uneventful. Although I did manage to record wins over all the "top" sides it was the so called smaller clubs i faultered at. Another point to add is that Gimpel and Ravenelli absolutely killed it in the under 18's and are definitly 2 for the future.

So I've just kicked off my 2nd run at the demo with Leeds United and this time i did a bit of wheeling and dealing based on some tips from this thread.

In: (Increased my Wage Budget to 180k)

Jake Livermore (Spurs, CM, 5k per week on loan until the end of the season, no fee)

Chris? Wood (WBA, ST, 5k per week on loan until the end of the season, 300k fee)

Stuart Parnaby (Free, RB, 10k per week)

Miyachi (Arsenal, Left Winger, 5k per week, loan until the end of the season)

Nyron Nosworthy (Sunderland, CB, 12.5k per week, loan until the end of the season, 350k fee)

Out: One thing i tried here before selling anyone was to offer them all out to clubs at 2x thier value. It seemed to work as i got a bit more than originally anticipated.

Bruce (600k)

Nunez (700k)

Paynter (600k)

Bromby (Currently TL'd)

Sam (Currently TL'd)

Brown (Currently TL'd)

Parker (Might let go)

Connolly (Might let go)

So I had an inconsistent pre-season playing 2 different teams both halves but only losing to Newcastle - so not really that bad.

My first league match against Middlesbrough at home i lined up with a 4-2-3-1 (Rachubka, Connolly, Lee's, OB, Pugh, Howson, Brown, Snoddy, Vayrynen, Miyachi, Keogh / Lonergan, Kisnorbo, Clayton, McCormack, Forsell.) After going down 0-1 after 20 minutes keogh struck twice to give me a well deserved 2-1 victory and my first 3 points.

Then it was a trip to Macclesfield in the League Cup first round. Parnaby and Livermore could be registered ahead of this tie so both made thier debut's and with a number of players on international duty and some slight injuries i lined up with 4-2-3-1 again (Lonergan, Parnaby, Lees, OB, Pugh, Livermore, Brown, McCormack, Clayton, Miyachi, Keogh / Rachubka, Connolly, Parker, Howson, Sam, Nunez)

Livermore's Leeds debut was one not to be remembered after lunging in 2 footed after 6 minutes and seeing a straight red card from Mr Webb. So down to 10 men and Macclesfield might have felt there was a chance of a cup upset but that was never on the cards with a Keogh hat-trick, Clayton, Miyachi, Own Goal and Tom Lee's rounding off the scoring in a 7-0 away win securing a second round tie at Elland Road against League 1's Yeovil, So naturally I'm confident of reaching the 3rd round of the League Cup and hopefully pulling one of the premierships top sides.

Hull up next in the league and i'll look to give Nosworthy his debut if he's fit.

On On On! :)

Paul.

Hi all,

New to the FM forums but played FM for many many years! Always with Leeds United too! :)

So I'm on my 2nd run of the demo now. I played my first run through with the starting squad and didn't buy/sell anyone. By January i was in 8th place in the championship (2 points off playoffs and 13 points off the league leaders Bristol City!) and this lead to me getting the sack. My starting 11 was the standard 4-4-2 of (Lonergan, Lee's, OB, Kisnorbo, White/Parker, Snoddy, Brown/Clayton, Howson, Pugh, McCormack/Keogh, Forsell/Becchio.) No real cup runs to talk to either in those 6 months so pretty uneventful. Although I did manage to record wins over all the "top" sides it was the so called smaller clubs i faultered at. Another point to add is that Gimpel and Ravenelli absolutely killed it in the under 18's and are definitly 2 for the future.

So I've just kicked off my 2nd run at the demo with Leeds United and this time i did a bit of wheeling and dealing based on some tips from this thread.

In: (Increased my Wage Budget to 180k)

Jake Livermore (Spurs, CM, 5k per week on loan until the end of the season, no fee)

Chris? Wood (WBA, ST, 5k per week on loan until the end of the season, 300k fee)

Stuart Parnaby (Free, RB, 10k per week)

Miyachi (Arsenal, Left Winger, 5k per week, loan until the end of the season)

Nyron Nosworthy (Sunderland, CB, 12.5k per week, loan until the end of the season, 350k fee)

Out: One thing i tried here before selling anyone was to offer them all out to clubs at 2x thier value. It seemed to work as i got a bit more than originally anticipated.

Bruce (600k)

Nunez (700k)

Paynter (600k)

Bromby (Currently TL'd)

Sam (Currently TL'd)

Brown (Currently TL'd)

Parker (Might let go)

Connolly (Might let go)

So I had an inconsistent pre-season playing 2 different teams both halves but only losing to Newcastle - so not really that bad.

My first league match against Middlesbrough at home i lined up with a 4-2-3-1 (Rachubka, Connolly, Lee's, OB, Pugh, Howson, Brown, Snoddy, Vayrynen, Miyachi, Keogh / Lonergan, Kisnorbo, Clayton, McCormack, Forsell.) After going down 0-1 after 20 minutes keogh struck twice to give me a well deserved 2-1 victory and my first 3 points.

Then it was a trip to Macclesfield in the League Cup first round. Parnaby and Livermore could be registered ahead of this tie so both made thier debut's and with a number of players on international duty and some slight injuries i lined up with 4-2-3-1 again (Lonergan, Parnaby, Lees, OB, Pugh, Livermore, Brown, McCormack, Clayton, Miyachi, Keogh / Rachubka, Connolly, Parker, Howson, Sam, Nunez)

Livermore's Leeds debut was one not to be remembered after lunging in 2 footed after 6 minutes and seeing a straight red card from Mr Webb. So down to 10 men and Macclesfield might have felt there was a chance of a cup upset but that was never on the cards with a Keogh hat-trick, Clayton, Miyachi, Own Goal and Tom Lee's rounding off the scoring in a 7-0 away win securing a second round tie at Elland Road against League 1's Yeovil, So naturally I'm confident of reaching the 3rd round of the League Cup and hopefully pulling one of the premierships top sides.

Hull up next in the league and i'll look to give Nosworthy his debut if he's fit.

On On On! :)

Paul.

Good to read that update and good to see you on the thread. I've fired up lots of Leeds demo games to try different "experiments" with transfers, tactics etc - in all of them I have been unable to shift Sam. I resorted to terminating his contract because the £5k wage could be used more effectively. I doubt you'll be able to shift Brown because of his recent arrival. Good luck in your save!

Just as an added extra I have now put both FB's on defend not "automatic" as I found they were pushing up a bit too much

I do that myself but i'm still trying to find a balance where they are not getting caught high up the pitch when a break is on but also are still willing and able to over-lap the winger and provide crosses from deep. The crosses i manage but they never over-lap, i know they have been set in the defensive mentality but i play full back in a very defensive manner but if that chance comes i'm flying past the winger.

The other thing is when they do over-lap in FM i never really see the winger dropping in the cover them.

I do that myself but i'm still trying to find a balance where they are not getting caught high up the pitch when a break is on but also are still willing and able to over-lap the winger and provide crosses from deep. The crosses i manage but they never over-lap, i know they have been set in the defensive mentality but i play full back in a very defensive manner but if that chance comes i'm flying past the winger.

The other thing is when they do over-lap in FM i never really see the winger dropping in the cover them.

In the tactics I mentioned earlier both wingers are set to 15 on Closing Down so they should(?) stop either the FB's or wingers bombing past them.

Also FB's are set to Closing Down 10 to help cover.

HTH

Just a quick update on the tactics stuff, I tried setting up a fairly standard 4-4-2 formation but this time with 5 players on attack, 5 on defend as you suggested. Only signed Parnaby, then just set it to holiday through the demo, all other tactical settings were on standard/normal/balanced ect. Didnt actually bother playing any of the games properly, just holidayed the lot.

At the end of demo we were sitting 4th. :lol:

So yeah, this seems to work quite well! :thup:

Just a quick update on the tactics stuff, I tried setting up a fairly standard 4-4-2 formation but this time with 5 players on attack, 5 on defend as you suggested. Only signed Parnaby, then just set it to holiday through the demo, all other tactical settings were on standard/normal/balanced ect. Didnt actually bother playing any of the games properly, just holidayed the lot.

At the end of demo we were sitting 4th. :lol:

So yeah, this seems to work quite well! :thup:

Pleased to hear that mate :D

Ahh I just want to get started on my proper save now!

I think I'll avoid all forums etc for the first few days though, I kinda want to play through the first season without looking at who other people might have signed, just do it based on the players I'm able to find myself in game. Will be interesting to do that and then come back here to see how my signings compare to everyone elses. :thup:

Ahh I just want to get started on my proper save now!

I think I'll avoid all forums etc for the first few days though, I kinda want to play through the first season without looking at who other people might have signed, just do it based on the players I'm able to find myself in game. Will be interesting to do that and then come back here to see how my signings compare to everyone elses. :thup:

Yes mate, thinking of doing the same. :D

Though it will be hard with Nicko selling everybody, & getting 4* to 5* in :p

Slightly off-topic I see Grayson has been dipping his wick in with a memeber of LUFC staff!!!

Reportedly walked on wife & son

Yes mate, thinking of doing the same. :D

Though it will be hard with Nicko selling everybody, & getting 4* to 5* in :p

Slightly off-topic I see Grayson has been dipping his wick in with a memeber of LUFC staff!!!

Reportedly walked on wife & son

Ha ha - thanks pal. I can't wait to get those South Americans in!

Need a bit of advice here lads.

Was reading one of SFrasers posts about delevoping youngsters & rotating squad to accomadate them.

This is one of my problems as I tend to use a "main" squad with only the "best" substitutes on bench.

How do you guys go about this?

I always tend to use them in cup games where a win is nailed on, bit of big player insurance on the bench. Most of the time it's just a case of throwing them in, having faith. Had a player come through my youth set up in FM11, slowed brought him into the first team picture over the course of 3-4 years in cup games, some league games and by the time he was 19 he was keeping a 29 year old Javier Pastore on the bench, scored 23 goals from the AMC position.

It's about picking the right games, getting them in the side and used to the system (though you can set them the youth sides to use the same tactic's as the first team i think) and slowly bringing them into bigger and bigger games. Also i set my own youth team training programmes, which kinda helps. Also when a player had to go due to age or just not being good enough i'm looking at the reserve team first rather than the transfer market, if you put yourself in a position where you have to use the younger players it'll be easier, least it was for me.

cup games and easier ties.. have youngsters making full debut's or at least on the bench... and give them 2o minutes or so.. i also tend to have a youngster or two as one of my subs anyway, if im winning by a good margin.. bring them on and give them a good game...

and I have specific training programs for each of the very best youths to make sure they are training in the right area's..

Well im approaching the end of the demo with my Leeds team and due to injuries etc have been playing a rather odd formation / system. However i am currently 3rd so seems t be doing okay.

I am using a 3-6-1 system.

team is:

Goalkeeper: lonergan / rachubka

Left Centre Def: Andrew Davies (defend)

Centre Defender: Tom Lees (cover)

Right Centre Def: Andy O'Brien (defend)

Defensive Mid: Frimpong / Tom Hately (defend)

Left Defensive Winger: Miyuichi / Pugh / McCormack (attack)

Left Centre Mid: Jordi Gomez / Clayton (support)

Right Centre Mid: Jonny Howson (support)

Right Defensive Winger: Robert Snodgrass / Orlandi (attack)

Attacking Mid: Varynhen / Nunez (attack)

Complete Forward: Becchio / Forssell / McCormack (Attack)

I have Gomez and Varynhen swapping positions, also the two wingers swap positions too.

Any suggestions on player instructions I should use for these players in their positions?

miyuichi and snoddy as defensive wingers is a total waste of their talents .. i understand why your doing it but its silly using them like that...

same goes for any of those as complete forwards.. they dont have the skillset to carry it off imo... try a more specific role.. like target man or advanced forward

miyuichi and snoddy as defensive wingers is a total waste of their talents .. i understand why your doing it but its silly using them like that...

same goes for any of those as complete forwards.. they dont have the skillset to carry it off imo... try a more specific role.. like target man or advanced forward

I play Snodgrass and Miyachi in the same role and they have been unstoppable. The only reason i put them as defensive wingers is because i want them tracking back with the opposing full backs. As far as it goes with my side, it ain't broke so i'm not going to try and fix it. Only thing i would change with his team tactic's is having the forward man as a target man in the support role, have Keogh in that role and he's my top scorer.

I always tend to use them in cup games where a win is nailed on, bit of big player insurance on the bench. Most of the time it's just a case of throwing them in, having faith. Had a player come through my youth set up in FM11, slowed brought him into the first team picture over the course of 3-4 years in cup games, some league games and by the time he was 19 he was keeping a 29 year old Javier Pastore on the bench, scored 23 goals from the AMC position.

It's about picking the right games, getting them in the side and used to the system (though you can set them the youth sides to use the same tactic's as the first team i think) and slowly bringing them into bigger and bigger games. Also i set my own youth team training programmes, which kinda helps. Also when a player had to go due to age or just not being good enough i'm looking at the reserve team first rather than the transfer market, if you put yourself in a position where you have to use the younger players it'll be easier, least it was for me.

Cheers Matt No7.

Was thinking of cup games & "lower" opposition. Will also use the condition rule of nothing less than 96%

Archived