FM 12: Athletic Club Bilbao- A New Era Begins!

ArranoBeltza

Griezmann qualifies as Basque due to his football upbringing as he was brought to Sociedad as 14-15 years old. However there isn't widespread approval by Athletic fans to buy him, even though there was interest from previous board, as well as current one.

Has anyone managed to sign him yet?

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did you manage to sign Azpilicueta so early on?
it cost a bit of money, probably around £12m, but it should be possible to sign him on 48 month instalments in the first window

or well....it was atleast possible to do that on the 12,0 db

it cost a bit of money, probably around £12m, but it should be possible to sign him on 48 month instalments in the first window

or well....it was atleast possible to do that on the 12,0 db

Exactly that, 12m in 48 months. Got given extra funds in November.

An update on how my save is going, start of the 2016/17 season.

Last year we managed to retain the league title and super cup, but lost in the champions cup and spanish cup finals.

GOALKEEPERS

Stephane Ruffier - Still undisputed number one.

Iago - Solid year as backup

Inaki Arzubiga - Good season at Bilbao Athletic.

No worries with this position, Iago will likely go to Bilbao Athletic for the first half of this season so Arzubiga can get some more focused training.

RIGHT BACKS

Cesar Azpilicueta - Rotated with Romalho and was solid for most of the season.

Jonas Romalho - Another good season for him.

Ricardo Agirre - Did well in the few starts he got.

Again, a strong position. Agirre will go to Bilbao Athletic so he can get first team experience.

LEFT BACKS

Jon Aurtenetxe - Good season for him, he also played in central defence.

Enric Saborit - Got games, but never got going. Disappointing compared to last season.

Patxi Andueza - Impressed me a lot. Developing well.

With Saborit disappointing, Aurtenetxe and Andueza will share the position this season. Saboirt will go to Bilbao Athletic but may sell him as a few other newgens at DL coming through.

CENTRE BACKS

Mikel San Jose - Strong season again. Rock at the centre of defence.

Borja Ekiza - Stepped up well to replace Amorebieta.

Imanol Iribarren - Decent enough season at Baskonia.

Urtzi Bacaicoa - Strong performances at Bilbao Athletic.

David Garmendia - A little bit slower in developing than I would like.

First choices are strong but youngsters aren't developing as quickly or as well as I would like. Will put them on specific training regimes and keep them at Athletic for the season and see how they do.

MIDFIELDERS

Javi Martinez - Good performances from him, but injured for 4 months for the second half of the season and there has been a noticeable drop in his stats.

Inigo Ruiz de Galaretta - Player very well, definitely a key player for the team now.

Javier Padilla - Stepped up well when Martinez was injured, put in some strong performances.

Diego Martin - Good season at Bilbao Athletic.

Ander Diez - Newgen from last season, future star. Already improved lots in some stats despite only being at the club for a few months.

Good strength in depth here. Hopefully Martinez will recover the form he had before his injury. Martin will likely go back to Bilbao Athletic again. Diez is going to go on his own training schedule, really want to make sure i develop him in the right way.

ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS

Iker Muniain - Another outstanding season from him.

Ander Herrera - Disappointed last year, struggled with morale throughout and often did not perform.

Jesus Remirez - Out for 5 months injured, didn't really get any game time.

Raul Goienetxea - Continuing to develop well.

Only problem here has been Herrera, and number of young players who can play in this position. Hopefully the former will regain his form, and the latter may be assisted by changes to who plays at left attack as Muniain may move there.

RIGHT ATTACKERS

Alvaro Vadillo - Definite first choice now, won young player of the season.

Markel Susaeta - Did well, performed when needed but Vadillo kept him out of the team.

Gorka Diez - Very strong season at Bilbao Athletic, 12 goals and 14 assists.

Luis Martinez - Developing slower than I would like.

Only real dilemma here is when I phase out Susaeta. Not exactly old at 28, but want to bring Diez through into the first time and get him game time. Diez will likely go to Bilbao Athletic for half a season this year.

CENTRAL ATTACKERS

Fernando Llorente - Did well last year, certainly better than the year before. Getting on.

Iker Hernandez - Strong season again, 28 goals in 24 apps.

Jairo Cano - Injured for a few months but did well at Bilbao Athletic.

Ricardo Ormaetxea - Newgen from last season. Good prospect but needs shaping.

Hernandez will remain as first choice, with Llorente and Cano being rotated with him. Both Cano and Ormaetxea will go on their own training schedules.

LEFT ATTACKERS

Oscar De Marcos - Strong season from him.

Mikel Larrazabal - Again performed above expectations.

Position seems weaker than it is, but want to start to use Muniain here and phase De Marcos out over a few years. Cano and Gorka Diez can also play here. Larrazabal needs his own training schedule to shape his stats properly.

---------

Also, Bielsa just took the Barcelona job which I turned down. He's got a transfer budget of £224m and £3.4m wage budget. Should be an interesting season!

Just dispatched Benfica 5-2 on agg in the first knockout round of the Europa League. My only real chance of a trophy this season after losing in the Spanish Cup semis to Real Madrid, getting their revenge for the pasting I gave them earlier in the season.

Currently in 4th in LaLiga, the top 4 all within 6 pts (ish, can't exactly remember) of each other with 15 games (ish) to go (Valencia 3rd, Real 2nd and Barca top).

Up to March of the first season in my game, I started off with an great run of 9 games unbeaten and then I met Barca who seemed to put me off my stride. a couple of slip ups in the Europa League but managed to qualify in 2nd and i'm now facing PSG in the 2nd KO round. Currently 3rd in the league behind the obvious Barca and Real, with Atletico hot on my heels.

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1, simular to what was shown by a post earlier on in this thread. I have pretty much two teams set out for those 2 sometimes 3 matches a week. This keeps all of the players fresh and gives some of the younger ones more experience in the process. Muniain is top goalscorer on 20 and Llorente has 19.

Signed Azpilicuwhatshisname in the transfer window for 11er 48 months, not a bad deal imo. Also signed Alex Serrano at the start of the game for about 500k, who is smashing the under 19's. Currently trying to sign Griezmann, Martinez, Illarramendi, and Hernandez from Sociedad (not ideal and fans in the real world would go bananas but I need their talent) However none of them are interested which is proving extremely frustrating. I'll try again in the summer.

Has anybody else that has both England and Spain loaded noticed that the spanish and english international teams release identicle press statements prior to a game? If they are are optimistic, or manager going to experiment for example. Getting a bit weird now!

Just been given £19.25m in November as a result of an improvement in the club's finances. Any suggestions as to who I should sign? I was thinking Azpilicueta potentially... Or Griezmann...

I used the money to get Azpilicueta, Benat and Monreal all on deals over 48 months. Agreed a similar deal for Ruffier to but to arrive in the summer - that's the only way St Etienne would let him go.

I would say the scouting aspect of the game with Athletic is more important than a normal game. You have to be looking out for these players young and bring them in, you've only really got one chance. The best 16 year old Spanish players need to be snapped up before they turn 17. It is very rewarding to find a young basque player with star potential.

Yes but never being able to compete for some of the best players in world football, is it something that diminishes from the game?

I've only played a few months of my Athletic save, but I have always placed a great emphasis on youth, and this is one of the reasons why I chose Bilbao. If you want to snap up europe's best young talent willy nilly then you're best off going to another big/fairly big club where there are no restrictions. If you want a real challenge however, then I would say that Athletic is perfect for that. You have no option but to nurture your youth. Either that, or you're ****ed to put it simply.

As I said, I might not be able to answer the question as well as some of the other guys on here, but I don't think I will miss it. Maybe I will only be able to do 4/5 seasons max with Athletic, but since I place such a great emphasis on youth development within the game, I don't think I will miss (if you get what I'm saying, probably not!!)

Falahk

Do you have a good 4231 tactic to use with Bilbao?

Steve

I have not used a proper 4-2-3-1 in some time, mostly I have played 4-3-3 (4-5-1) and 4-3-1-2 with Athletic along with sporadic experimentation with 3-4-3 diamonds and recently 4-3-2-1 (narrow, Ancelotti style)

Just finished my first season with Athletic. A very good season, nearly spoilt by a bad run in March/April but we turned things around to finish third.

Team stats - http://flic.kr/p/bqJ9fm

League Table - http://flic.kr/p/bDD4TX

Reached the semi final of the Spanish Cup, being beaten by Real Madrid, and the quarters of the EUROPA League, dumped out 5 - 0 on agg by PSG (due to injury and need to rest players).

Hopefully my players can perform better once they accept me as manager, as I started on the lowest reputation, the struggle to motivate themselves to play for me. This might improve soon as I won Manager of the Year.

How good is it to be Bilbao? Is the youth system actually good or do you have to look around and poach young players etc? Interested in starting but if I sell someone obviously being Basque only its difficult to bring players in

Is the new stadium in the new patch?
yes
How good is it to be Bilbao? Is the youth system actually good or do you have to look around and poach young players etc? Interested in starting but if I sell someone obviously being Basque only its difficult to bring players in
the youth system is indeed good, I normaly get one or two players with potential for the first team every year, and you also start out with a few youngsters that have a fair bit of potential, as for selling players, you often need to think it over properly and make sure you have everything covered before you do, however you will never need to sell anyone for economical reasons, you will rack in way more income then you can spend regardless

Hi

Just finished 1st season, only bought Benat as I play 4231 Deep. Finished 5th as Valencia and Athletico pushed Real for 2nd place. I forgot to add that Muniain had a 6month injury, which we just couldn't cope with.

Season 2 starting line up:

GK Almunia - signed for free

DL Javier Garrido - TL for 2.5mil

DC San Jose

DC Amorebieta

DR Azpilicueta - Signed this year for 12.25mil

DM - Benat - 5.25mil 1st transfer window

DM - Javi Martinez

AMR - Susaeta

AMC - Ander Herrera

AML - Muniain

ST - Llorente

I am stuggling to find any players that will improve this XI. Anyone got any ideas?

Monreal at Let Back is an upgrade on Garrido. Ruffier is a better keeper than Almunia. Not much else you can do. Track the stars that Soceidad sell and pick them up later. They wont join you from them as theyre a rival. Guys like Xabi Prieto, Illaramendi, and Griezemann. Best to focus more on young prospects. I would suggest retraining Iraloa as an AMR, hes great there and gives you cover for two positions

I have got to about October season 1 using the new patch so still early days.

I have signed Saul from Ath. Madrid, Serrano from sporting and Moises from Villareal(although he is not joining until the end of the season for some reason) but these are all 16 and hardly first team material yet.

Things are going well. Highlight was a 4-0 win over PSV in the Europa League Group Stages.

For next season i want 1) Azpilicueta 2)Ruffier and ideally Griezmann too but I doubt Sociedad will sell

Another mostly successful season for me, 2016/17 saw us retain the league title but lose in the spanish cup and champions league finals.

A slight change in format to show my team for the upcoming season.

FIRST TEAM

GK: Ruffier, Arzubiga, Iago

DR: Azpilicueta, Agirre

DCR: San Jose, Ramalho

DCL: Ekiza, Aurtenetxe

DL: Andueza, Saborit

MCR: de Galaretta, Padilla

MCL: Martinez, A. Diez

AMC: Muniain, Herrera

STR: Vadillo, G. Diez

STC: Hernandez, Llorente

STL: Cano, Larrazabal, De Marcos

The squad continues to transition. With the development of some of the younger defenders not going as quickly as I like, Agirre and Saborit are into the first team after impressing at Bilbao Athletic last year so Ramalho and Aurtenetxe can play in the centre. Midfield is very exciting with Ander Diez developing very quickly and he won Young Player of the Year last season. Ridiculous how much he has improved in a single season. He will get lots of games as I slowly begin to phase Martinez out. Up front, Suaseta couldn't get games last year with Gorka Diez and Vadilla rotating well on the right, so Suaseta was sold this summer. On the left Cano and Larrazabal will get most of the games with De Marcos slowly being eased out of the team.

PROMISING YOUNGSTERS

GK: Bastida

DC: Alonso

DC: Iribarren

DC: Bacaicoa

DC: Garmendia

DL: Velez

MC: Martin

MC: A. Saenz

AMC: G. Saenz

AMC: Remirez

AMC: Goienetxea

STC: Ormaetxea

Lots of prospects, especially in defence. Hopefully some of them will kick on this year and be challenging for a squad place next season. Prospects at AMC are also great, and whichever develops the most will be moved into the squad once I begin to phase Herrera out.

-----

In other news Bilbao Athletic are now in the Liga Adelente! Should definitely give the youngsters good experience.

Good second season developing for me. My Athletic side are currently 1st in LaLiga after 21 games, and I've just reached the Spanish Cup final for the first time, beating Real madrid 4-0 in the second leg at the Bernabeu. After a 0-0 draw in the first leg, Rafa Benitez fielded a weak team for the second leg and we well and truly took advantage.

I want to sign a couple of players from Real Sociedad – Iker Hernandez mainly, do I have a chance?

In early December of my 1st season. I was given £19.25 in October by the club, so I decided to invest that straight back into transfers. I managed to sign Cesar Azpilicueta for £12m cash upfront. Great deal if you ask me. He's only 22 and is ready to go straight into my 1st team, although Iraloa has been solid so he will have to earn his spot.

On my list of targets this summer for next season are, Ruffiat/Ruffier (can't remember his name), Griezmann and Diego Forlan. He will provide some excellent competition as Igor Martinez is not good enough.

I've just finished my first season, I found throughout the season that I had to rest Muniain alot and at times I was playing without strikers (through injury or suspension) can anyone recommend any striker? any in the youth that can be used? Fernandez looks a decent player will he be a good option? I need a striker that I can use as a bench role whilst those two (Toquero and Llorente) are rotated.

Also i've signed a few promising players do I wait till they are 17 then promote them to baskonia? what's the best way to develop them? sent a few out on loan too.

Thanks.

I got Muniain to score 11 goals, 23 goals from Llorente and 9 from Toquero (league goals only)

I'll see if i can sign Forlan if not i'll probably just promote one of the youth strikers and hope it works out.. from the current youth who have gone on to the first team in your saves?

Iñigo Ruiz de Galarreta has been superb for me.. promoted him near the end of first season.

I got Muniain to score 11 goals, 23 goals from Llorente and 9 from Toquero (league goals only)

I'll see if i can sign Forlan if not i'll probably just promote one of the youth strikers and hope it works out.. from the current youth who have gone on to the first team in your saves?

Iñigo Ruiz de Galarreta has been superb for me.. promoted him near the end of first season.

I'm only mid way through the 1st season, so none of my youth players have had the chance to make an impact yet, with the exception of Ramalho and Saborit. I have earmarked de Galarreta as one to make a breakthrough though, but his determination is shocking. I can't find anyone in my squad to tutor him either. Martinez in the U19's looks like he might be able to do a job in the future as well.

I've tried with Saborit but he keeps on getting yellow cards and average rating of 6.4.. perhaps im playing him in the wrong position.

Ramalho is very promising.

Yeah he is I agree. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets called up to Angola soon on my game. Did you get someone to tutor de Galarreta?

I managed a 3-0 win over Real Madrid which was great, but in the next game against Rayo, a horrible 2 footed challenge tore the calf muscle of Gabilondo, and now he's out for 3-4 months. Crap. De Marcos time to step up. Massive shame about Gabilondo as well, he was averaging 7.75 in the league for me and it's the end of January.

Managed to win the league in season 2, mainly down to Real and Barca slipping up. Got thumped 5-0 in the cup final though by Barca, players still finding it hard to be motivated by me as their manager apparently. Hopefully this problem

will disappear soon...

Can't get anyone to sign for me either, tried to get Pardo but Betis want 20m. Help!

Archived