FM 12: Athletic Club Bilbao- A New Era Begins!

ArranoBeltza

Good record Falahk. I'm in 2015 and have a similar record to you - I have my fair share of wins over both of them but when we lose, we lose pretty bad. I'll post screenshots when I get chance.

When do you put regens into your first team? I have a few decent ones - rates 1 star and 2 stars (current ability) but I'm hesitant to play them too often.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play youngsters in the first team when I think they are good enough, or if I belive they will become good enough and I try to give them as many games as possible w/o it affecting results to much

So here's a brief overview of my newest Athletic save.

2011-12 season:

3rd in La Liga

Europa League Winners

Copa del Rey quarter-finalists (lost on away goals)

2012-13 season:

3rd in La Liga

Copa del Rey quarter-finalists

Champion's League winners

2013-14 season:

Didn't even win third in the Club World Cup, that annoyed me

European Super Cup winners

2nd in La Liga

Copa del Rey winners

Champion's League Semifinalists

2014-15 season:

Spanish Supercup winners

4th in La Liga

Copa del Rey Quarter-finalists

Knocked out of first knockout round of Champion's League by Shakhtar

NOTE: Our form in the second half of the season was absolutely terrible

Currently, my team is in first place in a very tight race in La Liga. We made it to the Copa final (to be played against Real Madrid), and have reached the first knockout stage of the Champ's League (yet to be played). I will post a more complete summary of this season when I finish it.

Here are some screens of my two favorites, Llorente and Muniain:

Fernando Llorente: Attributes - Biography - Stats (NOTE: In 2011-12, scored 56 goals in 54 appearances in all competitions, plus 4 international goals in 13 appearances, 8 of which were as a sub)

Iker Muniain: Attributes - Biography - Stats (NOTE: I used him as an AMC- Trequartista before moving him to AML- Inside fwd when I brought in Saul Sanroman)

Newgens:

Saul Sanroman: Attributes - Biography - Stats (NOTE: Recommended highly by my scouts just prior to the 2012-13 season, and bought for beans. Thrown into the first-team after some poor early season results and hasn't left since!)

Francisco Javier Galindo: Attributes - Stats

Gorka Hidalgo: Attributes - Stats

A bit of a dilemma, maybe someone can help. Both Sanroman and Hidalgo are natural AMCs who can play MC. I am thinking of moving one to what is currently Herrera's MC- Adv. Playmaker (support) role, as he has been mostly unimpressive there. Either that, or I may sell Sanroman and rake in a massive profit. What would you do??

I have a slew of other great newgens, the three above are just my current favorites. I may post some more later. I've got three very promising strikers, one extremely promising DMC/MC/DC, one very good AMR, an AML/R developing in my youth team, one more DC, an MC out on loan, and three DRs who look like they can be solid performers.

If you want to see screens of anything/anyone else, just ask!

I think I need help with my Athletic career. I'm having a pretty torrid time with them. Not sure how so many people are having such good success with them.

I've pretty much took aboard all the info from this thread and set them up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with roles and duties recommended by my assistant. I'm having my assistant do team talks which usually go over well with most players.

Do you guys use shouts at all or change strategies? I ask because it seems like most here just set up a tactic and then just stick with it without changing much or at all. So what do you all do?

Also, I see most here making Llorente into a scoring machine but for me he can barely put anything into the net. I'm playing him as a Target Man on attack duty (same everyone else here) but he's wasting change after chance.

I haven't changed my formation or general tactics much at all, the only change I've made was moving Muniain to AML- inside fwd from AMC- treq when I bought a promising young AMC- Att. midfielder (att). My team has generally been consistent, which is the best I can hope for because I focus almost entirely on poaching/developing newgens.

Don't get discouraged, though- Athletic are a young team on the rise. While it is certainly possible to have early success with them, patience can be a virtue, as your transfer policy will largely restrict you to youth development. Unless you get sacked, stick with it and hope for improvement in the second season. Keep in mind as well that Athletic are a pretty inconsistent team IRL.

Praising your players for excellent performances or rebuking them when they're bad helps a lot. So does telling them "no pressure" when they're on a bad run or encouraging them to make a difference when on a good run during the pre-match pep talks.

Here are the shouts I normally use. I've noticed that when I forget to turn them on (which I do from time to time) my team is mediocre, but when I use them the team plays mostly as I want.

At home or against weaker opponents:

Mentality- Attack

Shouts- Get ball forward, push higher up, exploit the flanks

Away or against stronger opponents

Mentality- Attack/Control

Shouts- Retain possession, drop deeper, exploit the flanks (I change retain possession to get ball fwd if I fall behind)

Almost exclusively used away against the strongest opponents

Mentality- Attack/Control

Shouts- Retain possession, drop deeper, exploit the flanks, work ball into box, stand-off opponents

When trying to maintain a lead or when I have a match shortly after the current one and I'm ahead comfortably:

Mentality- Contain

Shouts- Retain possession, drop deeper, work ball into box, take a breather, get stuck in, play even safer

These aren't concrete, but I almost always use some combination of any of the shouts listed above and tweak them a bit depending on the situation.

well this was kinda handy :p , picked up the player in question on tribunal from Peña Sport (one of the small basque clubs) for 40k, but seeing that I had two prospects in the exact same positions that had higher potential according to Aitor Karanka, I decieded to cash in on Gorka Herrera just one season after signing him

profit1.png

oh noes....lost the league title in the final game after conceding a 90 min equlizer against Sporting, pretty pleased by the session otherwise thought, that I managed to turn things around and be ahead of Real was an achivment in itself, most have been 10pts behind at one point, and I did win the super cup vs Barca and finaly broke my curse, yes I did it.....I won europa league 2018 after disgracing myself in the easiest group I have ever had on this save (hell I was one missed pen, and the rebound from the very same pen, from staying in CL dispite preforming awefully in the groupe stage)

8 games to go to the end of my fourth season and I'm 8 points clear of Real Madrid at the top and on my way to a third La Liga title. Might be able to scrape into CL semi finals too if I can avoid defeat against Ajax in the second leg.

Only downside is Llorente - very patchy form - cant seem to get him scoring consitently

8 games to go to the end of my fourth season and I'm 8 points clear of Real Madrid at the top and on my way to a third La Liga title. Might be able to scrape into CL semi finals too if I can avoid defeat against Ajax in the second leg.

Only downside is Llorente - very patchy form - cant seem to get him scoring consitently

Answered my own problem regards Llorente. I used to play him as Target man attack (not using TM in Team Instructions) but tried him as a deep lying foward and complete forward this season with mixed results after somebody said on here he should be allowed to 'do more'

Well I switched him back for a match against Sevila and this was the result - Match video

This is all I need him to do.

I just got in charge of Athletic in my game in 2019/2020, they were in poor form and had a squad consisting of:

Iraizoz

Auternetxe, Ekiza, San Jose, Jimenez (regen)

Griezmann, Herrera, Martinez, De Marcos

Llorente, Irruarizaga (regen)

The sole reason for me taking over really was for Irruarizaga (i nicknamed him Joni as i struggled with his surname) as he is by far the best striker in the game, i was also really intrigues by the challenge of only having Basque players. As you can see the problem most players are there from the start, so by now they were very old, the reason for their poor form (Iraizoz 37!!) For those wondering how Griezmann got there from Sociedad, he went via man u. I had to spend £20m to bring Muniain to the club as in 2012 a certain me signed him for newcastle, so had to resign him. Unfortunately there were no really good basque players that had bene produced soo i struggled through the season and used a couple of good U19's i had (both strikers) and hoped i would get lucky com march.

I did slightly and the Cantera produced a great looking left back and a fairly decent goalkeeper (who walked into my first team). He has potential but he was no where near good enough to start, unfortunately with Iraizoz's age i stuck him in the first team, first time ive ever started a keeper under the age of 19.... I supplemented this with a few 16 year olds that had caught my eye (i feel bad as its not sticking to the true Basque principal but as its allowed and i had no one coming through....) and inigo Martinez from Fiorentina for £20m

I play a 4-1-3-2 with wide midfielders and my second year went brilliantly (having finished 11th in the end before) We charged up to finish the league in 4th (helped largely due to madrids terrible first half of the season laving them 5th) with Muniain playing as a poacher next to Joni and scoring himself 33 goals in 37 games, he was outstanding. Only Signed 2 youngsters going into my next season, im in desperate need of a right midfielder and had a good one come through in the last march, but hes at least 2 years of starting... I may have to throw him in and help speed it up, signed a couple of 16 year olds and in terms of strikers im set for the next 12 years at least, may in time switch to 2 defensive midfielders as we seem to have good strength for the future there.

here is a screenshot of the star player!

2012042000001.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if you wanna see anyone else in the up and coming team ask, its such a great challenge with this team and love reading about other peoples achievements, wish id got to the team earlier though so they werent saddled with old players...

I could be about to sign inigo Martinez! Excited... He announced that Sociedad were underachieving and he was considering leaving so I immediately put a good bid in for him which was accepted right away Andre has gone away to consider my contract offer.

EDIT: he turned me down saying it would be difficult to leave. Oh well...

I could be about to sign inigo Martinez! Excited... He announced that Sociedad were underachieving and he was considering leaving so I immediately put a good bid in for him which was accepted right away Andre has gone away to consider my contract offer.

EDIT: he turned me down saying it would be difficult to leave. Oh well...

I've just started my second season with Athletic. Real Sociedad got relegated so, I quickly snapped up Antoine Griezmann to replace Gabilondo who had suffered a serious injury and had got significantly worse. I tried to pick up Inigo Martinez, Asier Illarramendi and Zuzurtuza but they weren't interested so I picked up Benat instead who had a very good season for Betis.

When the new season started, Martinez and Illarramendi were interested again so I bought them both for £7m each.

Just fired up my Athletic save again, sadly I'm having to finish of the season I posted last, where I won La Liga. Have been experimenting with high passing and possession tactics in another save, and have implimented it onto this Athletic side. First result saw me draw away to Barca 1-1 with a possession of 76%, with the second being away to Betis - won there 1-0, with 83%!

7119968175_c2732f1b49_b.jpg

Edit; Plug - Made a Ander Herrera thread a while ago, and it seems to have fell into the depths of the forum, so feel free to take a look and promote the player to the rest of the forums; as he's definatly become one of the best playmakers I've managed this year. Can get it posted into the OP of this thread too :)

Ander Herrera

Added Ander thread to the OP ;)

Personally, he's been pretty average for my team but is definitely worth keeping around.

He was very good for me in the first season getting over 10 goals and 10 assists. However in the second season he has not been getting nearly as much goals or assists. I believe this is more down to a change in tactics meaning he is no longer the only CM that gets forward, and that more play is directed through Muniain rather than Ander.

Speaking of Ander, I play him as an MC- Adv. Playmaker (support). As I said, he's been average. In my second season, I bought a superb AMC from a 2ndDivB side for only $110k and he has been phenomenal. Then, in 2014-15, my youth team generated a stud AMC newgen who, when I peeked in the editor (I don't change things, I just check the PA of my newgens after they've been signed), he has a PA of 200!

I mentioned a dilemma earlier, how can I use them? Right now I'm keeping the first guy at AMC and re-training the second at MC and rotating him in there. However, do you guys think one might be a better MC than the other? Should I sell Sanroman and rake in massive profit?? Maybe re-train him at AMR? Regardless of which (if either) is moved to MC, I am considering changing their role to Adv. Playmaker (attack).

Here they both are in my current season (2016-17):

Gorka Hidalgo

Saul Sanroman

Oh, and, by the way, I have been entirely too lazy to post full season reports, but I won my first La Liga title and my second Copa del Rey in 2015-16 :D

Unfortunately they both look very much like AMs to me. I think one of them would play better on the wing rather than MC but again that depends on how good your current wingers are.

You could play with an AMC and MC that act like Fabregas and Wilshere last year. That is a primary playmaker at AMC and a hidden playmaker at MC in a triple pivot perhaps. This would require a very good defensive MC to stabilise the midfield defensively though.

He was very good for me in the first season getting over 10 goals and 10 assists. However in the second season he has not been getting nearly as much goals or assists. I believe this is more down to a change in tactics meaning he is no longer the only CM that gets forward, and that more play is directed through Muniain rather than Ander.

I've found his best position for me is Adv Playmaker attack AMC, behind Llorente Target man attack. Ander is an assist beast for me

Found this great article on Bilbao's style of play. I have implemented some of this in my 433 formation. (I switch between 433 and 4231).

May help to get the best out of Ander Herrera

http://chalkontheboots.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/marcelo-bielsa-method-in-the-madness/

Interesting read. Watched the Athletic Sporting game Thursday night, was brilliant, as have every other game they've played in their Europa League run.

You say you've implemented some of Biesla's tactics into your 433, what exactly have you done?

Interesting read. Watched the Athletic Sporting game Thursday night, was brilliant, as have every other game they've played in their Europa League run.

I was there ;) Incredible atmosphere!

In December of the 16/17 season. I signed Inigo Martinez for 12m, more than I wanted to pay but thats my team pretty much sorted now in terms of big signings, i'll just be looking into the youngsters coming through. If I get time I will screenshot the newgen Juan Luis later, 19 now and already been capped by Spain twice including a goal on his debut, DM wonderkid :D

Sitting 2nd in the league behind Real and just drawn out Man City in the first stages of the KO in europe which is crazy as its the 3rd time i've drawn a Manchester club :\

You say you've implemented some of Biesla's tactics into your 433, what exactly have you done?

Things like the DR being more attacking than the DL. I set my DMC to try and attack from deeper positions (DMC support). Also I have my two MCs set to attack, Ander Herrera as Attacking playmaker and De Marcos as a MC attack, the idea being De Marcos supports Llorente (target man) and Herrera has more vertical passing options. Muniain plays as an Inside Forward on the left to support the SC and Susaeta hugs the touchline on the right. Finally I set both full backs to move into the channels to try and recreate the cutting inside movement. Finally I asked the team to play down the right to take advantage of the overload that the DR, MCR and the AMR create.

Team instructions are attack, more pressing, more creative, more roaming, man marking and cautious tackling.

Not saying this is a perfect tactic, but it has worked for me in the few games I have played with it so far.

Ill try and post screenshots later on tonight/tomorrow.

Hey all, great read so far through the thread hope you all continue the good work.

Finished 8th in my first season, a bit dissapointing but I was struggling with tactics and simply conceding far too many goals. Was quite pleasing to be the only team in the league who beat barca though. Messi got 55 goals in 55 apps fotr them that season, he was unreal.

Struggling to find suitable players in the second season. Playing 4-3-1-2 against similar and smaller opponenets while playing 4-2-3-1 against the bigger teams. Think I have the tactics right now just need to ensure the players have a better season. Was hugely disspointed with Munian, Llorente and Herrera as they all under achieved in the league, even though Munian got Spanish young player of the year somehow.

Players bought throughout both seasons are: Benat (£4m), Azpilicueta (£11m), Ruffier (£12m), Barkero (£1m).

Hoping to get top 5 this year, haven't conceded in my friendlies and I am praying that Llorente delivers this year. Going to bleed in Galarreta, Ramalho and Igor Martinez

Things like the DR being more attacking than the DL. I set my DMC to try and attack from deeper positions (DMC support). Also I have my two MCs set to attack, Ander Herrera as Attacking playmaker and De Marcos as a MC attack, the idea being De Marcos supports Llorente (target man) and Herrera has more vertical passing options. Muniain plays as an Inside Forward on the left to support the SC and Susaeta hugs the touchline on the right. Finally I set both full backs to move into the channels to try and recreate the cutting inside movement. Finally I asked the team to play down the right to take advantage of the overload that the DR, MCR and the AMR create.

Team instructions are attack, more pressing, more creative, more roaming, man marking and cautious tackling.

Not saying this is a perfect tactic, but it has worked for me in the few games I have played with it so far.

Ill try and post screenshots later on tonight/tomorrow.

Still developing this quite a bit... It's getting there though :)

I have this star prospect:

julinoverviewattributes.png

Do you think he would be better as a Striker, an AMC or a right winger.

The AMC spot is Muniain's at the moment so unsure whether making Julian an AMC would be beneficial since I would have 2 really good players for here.

I'm tending towards the right wing but I think he has really high potential so if I mould him into a striker he could be immense and a little wasted on the wing. Saying that he would be rather good on the wing.

I could train him as a left winger but I already have Griezmann and Muniain for this position.

I have this star prospect:

julinoverviewattributes.png

Do you think he would be better as a Striker, an AMC or a right winger.

The AMC spot is Muniain's at the moment so unsure whether making Julian an AMC would be beneficial since I would have 2 really good players for here.

I'm tending towards the right wing but I think he has really high potential so if I mould him into a striker he could be immense and a little wasted on the wing. Saying that he would be rather good on the wing.

I could train him as a left winger but I already have Griezmann and Muniain for this position.

Given his crossing, I'd put him on the wing. He isn't a good enough finisher and lacks the composure to be a striker and lacks the creativity to be an AMC. Of course, he's still very young and his attributes will develop more, especially depending on where you put him, but out of the box he looks like a winger. His utility could be an asset, though.

I'm thinking if I can develop him into a top quality winger then he should also be able to do the business upfront or at AMC when called upon. He has so much potential I just wish I could shoehorn him into a striker but attribute wise he has everything you need for a winger (with a bit of work on dribbling).

Finished my first season in charge of Athletic, have to say I'm loving it! Managed to come 3rd, despite Valencia at one point holding a 6 point advantage over me!

Here's the final table

finaltablea.png

Here's my squad and their ratings

finalsquad.png

My top three players:

Mikel San Jose - Really effective BPD and always solid and reliable.

Fernando Llorente - Generally got the goals and finished in good form, but went missing during the middle part of the season.

Iker Muniain - Real livewire, always looked like he was going to either score or create, love his flair.

I also got three very nice looking youth products in my first intake, with the two attackers having already made their debut's and scored :cool:

Begona

Telletxea

Aranguren

Roll on season 2!

I'm having to restart my Athletic game due to some circumstances. I'm thinking of altering the number of leagues I load this time around. Is it at all worth it to load the South American leagues, do they ever produce any Basque newgens?

Also, any particular European leagues (apart from the top 4 and France) recommended that also have a chance to produce Basque players from time to time?

I'm having to restart my Athletic game due to some circumstances. I'm thinking of altering the number of leagues I load this time around. Is it at all worth it to load the South American leagues, do they ever produce any Basque newgens?

Also, any particular European leagues (apart from the top 4 and France) recommended that also have a chance to produce Basque players from time to time?

Personally, I don't remember ever seeing any Basque newgens being generated outside of Spain or France, and the French ones all look like crap. Quite a shame, really :(

Personally, I don't remember ever seeing any Basque newgens being generated outside of Spain or France, and the French ones all look like crap. Quite a shame, really :(

That is too bad since we can see that it's possible to have player from South America and Mexico to have Basque nationalities in real life.

That is too bad since we can see that it's possible to have player from South America and Mexico to have Basque nationalities in real life.

I agree. This is something I've been meaning to complain about in the data boards for a long time, I just never have. Also, I get annoyed by the fact that I have seen many French newgens who begin with Aviron Bayonne or who are born in Bayonne or Biarritz but don't have Basque second nationality.

I agree. This is something I've been meaning to complain about in the data boards for a long time, I just never have. Also, I get annoyed by the fact that I have seen many French newgens who begin with Aviron Bayonne or who are born in Bayonne or Biarritz but don't have Basque second nationality.

Instead of Basque, do you find any Spanish newgens from countries outside of Spain?

What's your league load-out with Athletic?

Instead of Basque, do you find any Spanish newgens from countries outside of Spain?

What's your league load-out with Athletic?

I find plenty of newgens with Spanish as a second nationality, but the game only allows me to sign players with Spain as their first nationality (except for newgens at Spanish clubs).

I have all European leagues loaded as view-only (except for Spain) with Brazil, Argentina, and the USA as view-only as well. I loaded a large database with all Basque players loaded. I only decided to load Spain as playable because I knew I would only play as Athletic.

I have signed a German/basque striker recently. Weirder Bremen had a Spanish/basque Gk come through too. Also PSG have a 14 year old French/basque DC come through this season (2015-16) that I really need to sign, but I have been quoted £30m!!!

I have signed a German/basque striker recently. Weirder Bremen had a Spanish/basque Gk come through too. Also PSG have a 14 year old French/basque DC come through this season (2015-16) that I really need to sign, but I have been quoted £30m!!!

Might have to wait or negotiate it down but at the same time it's not like you have as much of a choice. For Athletic, the supply is limited.

It is a shame that the basque restrictions really hinder your buying ability, but it does make it quite a unique save.

On another note, Iker Munian is playing unbelievably better for me now at Poacher. Had him as a Trequartista, Inside Forward and AP but poacher is working much better. Might be useful if anyone is struggling to get him scoring etc

I'm loving the restrictions on signings. I'm usually signing players left right and centre on previous fm's. It's my first time with Athletic and it's a different experience all together!

Honestly, I feel that Athletic's restrictions make the game easier. When I play as teams that don't have restrictions, I tend to overpay for and/or buy too many DCs and strikers. Athletic's policy prevents me from going out of control, and I like developing newgens a lot and prefer keeping around my best players as long as possible so not only are Athletic my favorite club, but they're perfect for my playing style :)

Honestly, I feel that Athletic's restrictions make the game easier. When I play as teams that don't have restrictions, I tend to overpay for and/or buy too many DCs and strikers. Athletic's policy prevents me from going out of control, and I like developing newgens a lot and prefer keeping around my best players as long as possible so not only are Athletic my favorite club, but they're perfect for my playing style :)

That's almost the same way I feel about it as well. It can get crazy during transfer windows but with Athletic it's pretty mellowed out as you know exactly who you need to get as your potential supply is much more limited. Like for example you need a RB, well you know it's Azpilicueta and no one else really. If you need a GK, then it's Ruffier. You're not juggling a bunch of players together to try to see which you should sign. Much less hectic.

Really interesting thing just happened in my save..

I was too slow to offer Ekiza a new contract in the second season, so I was kind of gutted when he decided to turn down my offer and accept one from Sevilla. Now I thought this matter was over until a message popped up in the news "Ekiza one game away from a one year extension".

He has a clause that says if he plays 20 games in his last season that he automatically signs an extension, should make the next game very interesting.

:) might get to keep him then

EDIT: Ah didn't cancel his transfer, ah well not to worry

They are fast becoming my second team. They really impressed me when they gave my boys a hiding at Old Trafford.

I've been really impressed with Athletic IRL this season and have been fascinated by Bielsa, meaning I've watched a lot of their games and found they've become far and away my favourite Spanish club... and so after I finally got bored of my Spurs save I decided to give Athletic a go.

I've got to say this thread has been a big help, and although I'm only just a couple of games in to my first season I'm really enjoying it. I tend to put a lot of emphasis on youth development and the fact that that's pretty much the only option here is something I'm sure I'm going to enjoy.

A few questions...

1) Can you ever sign players directly from Real Sociedad or is the rivalry too strong? I had an offer accepted for Inigo Martinez but he turned the move down even after I met his contract demands.

2) How do you keep your scouts busy? I hired 6 or 7 great scouts, sent a couple to France and ha d the others put together reports on Spain and now they're basically collecting their wages for doing nothing.

3) Are David Lopez and Gabilondo worth keeping hold of? They're exactly the kind of players I'd usually look to move on but I'm wary of leaving myself short, with such limited option to replace them.

Archived