FMS Community Thread / Episode VI / Return of the Toon

tenthreeleader

Crawley were an absolute credit to their FA Cup and makes me a proud non league supporter. The style that they played at Old Trafford puts a lot of premier league teams to shame. They may not have won but they can take a lot of pride from that performance.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No disrespect to Crawley is intended here as I thought they gave it their all, were a tad unlucky, a tad naieve for the goal and did themselves proud, but let's face it if you play for ManYoo then you should be able to face up to non-league players, even ones of Crawley's calibere with ease.

And some of the ManYoo players did. I don't rate John O'Shea at all but he had no trouble and I thought Gibson was excellent, but Rafael was lacking against the Crawley left back's runs and Obertan and Bebe were, frankly, awful.

A summer clearout on the way ???????

And some of the ManYoo players did. I don't rate John O'Shea at all but he had no trouble and I thought Gibson was excellent, but Rafael was lacking against the Crawley left back's runs and Obertan and Bebe were, frankly, awful.

Gibson was at best solid if you want my frank opinion. I think recently he has had ample opportunity to prove he belongs at the club and I think overall he hasn't delivered as much as he perhaps could have have done, specifically when he was hauled off early against Blackpool and Southampton. I'd love him to have a future at the club as I would anyone we have brought through, I just don't think he makes the grade and at 23 I think Trappatoni was spot on, he needs to find regular football at a Premier League club sooner rather than later.

I do think we need to let a few go in the summer, but not so I can have a wet dream over the fact that Qatar Holdings may or may not ***** (so to speak) over a billion quid to acquire the club and give us some big name signings. I'd like to see some more of our youngsters given a chance.

And that ties into the biggest disappointment of the afternoon for me, the fact we didn't put the game away early and therefore couldn't get to have a look the likes of Paul Pogba in a senior game, and not on a grainy YouTube video in an Academy match. Would have liked to have seen Ravel Morrison on the bench but found out courtesy of the Guardian he was in court charged with witness intimidation in a mugging case. lovely.

So, yes I think a few have until the summer to prove they have a future.

Bebe was truly sh*t. Vitória de Guimarães must be laughing, even if they only banked €5.5M of the €9M that United paid.

I've had an epic dose of man flu over the past few days. I stupidly ventured outside to watch my rugby team this afternoon. It is quite possible that I am now actually dead.

According to the BBC Jose Mourinho has now gone nine years since one of his teams lost a home league match. That's some going for a manager. Like him or no, you have to admit he's got something. (and yes I do know he's only managed at top teams with loads of spends in the last nine years but it's still a pretty decent record.)

Bebe was truly sh*t. Vitória de Guimarães must be laughing, even if they only banked €5.5M of the €9M that United paid.

I've had an epic dose of man flu over the past few days. I stupidly ventured outside to watch my rugby team this afternoon. It is quite possible that I am now actually dead.

On item one, I agree. On item two, so have I but without the rugby.

He comes from Denton, its a dodgy area which i had to venture into frequently to pick people up or take them home when going to and from Untied games. I tended to ignore all traffic lights etc as i deemed it safer not to stop

Actually watching the Track Cycling on BBC2, rather than watch Citeh huff and puff against Notts County.

Brilliant Stuff, just watched the Keirin, Sir Chris Hoy literally blowing the rest of the field away.

As the great Alan Partridge once said... " Sh*t, did you see that ?"........ I cannot concieve of a better piece of commentary for that race.

Just read the same article, hmph.

I found it amusing when it mentioned that Rio Ferdinand had offered to put him up similar to the Carroll/Nolan situation.

The only thing he'll learn is to say "you got merked" when he finishes harrassing people. :D

Actually watching the Track Cycling on BBC2, rather than watch Citeh huff and puff against Notts County.

Brilliant Stuff, just watched the Keirin, Sir Chris Hoy literally blowing the rest of the field away.

As the great Alan Partridge once said... " Sh*t, did you see that ?"........ I cannot concieve of a better piece of commentary for that race.

More to the point did you see the splinter through Awang's calf? And the bugger even got back on and claimed bronze.

More to the point did you see the splinter through Awang's calf? And the bugger even got back on and claimed bronze.

Absolutely, one of the best bits of televised sport I have seen in ages...... come-from-behind victory, crashes, bravery, the lot.

And for those of you who have missed out, and if you ain't seen it you have missed out, then you can watch it here....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/9402844.stm

Sir Chris Hoy is in the Rainbow jersy, the race starts paced for the first 6 of 8 laps and then, as you'll see, it becomes a free for all.

Chester did you go to the match at Chorley yesterday? Disgusting scenes after the match from what i've heard. Hope the league throws the book at Chorley.

No I didn't, I had to work down here in beautiful London (I know, when my boss found out I wasn't leaving London for my days off with the kids she asked me to cover a database change on Sat - gets me a day's pay back at least).

And I had only found out the score, what went on ??????

No I didn't, I had to work down here in beautiful London (I know, when my boss found out I wasn't leaving London for my days off with the kids she asked me to cover a database change on Sat - gets me a day's pay back at least).

And I had only found out the score, what went on ??????

Well from what i've heard the police had moved the chester coaches without telling the chester fans. So when they left the ground they headed to a mob of Chorley fans who decided to charge at the Chester fans and cause a little riot. One elderly man had to be rushed into hospital after having a brick thrown at him.

I didn't. I have never been so disgusted. Mikey, congratulations, we'll never catch you playing like that.

I can't comment on how good or bad either side was today as I haven't actually seen it. I had to settle for listening to the feed from BBC Radio Scotland on the BBC website as I've had to cancel my Sky Sports Subscription on cost grounds.

I got the impression that Rangers were never really at the races this afternoon. I'm delighted with 3-0 tbh.

Could one of our American friends give me a bit of background on a certain Paul Gardner?

I buy World Soccer Magazine most months, and when I come to his columns, after I've read it I feel like ripping the page out of the magazine, burning it and then proceed to tear my hair out.

I've had a look at some of his blogs on, I think it was, Soccer America and they are even worse.

Is it unreasonable for me to think he has an incredibly unbalanced and short sighted view of the game, like a fan plucked from the terrace and given a gig as journalist? I can't help but see an underlying anti-British sentiment in his work too. Basically I want someone to re-assure me that this guy isn't a big deal in sports journalism in America.

Or just lie to me.

Bit of a good goal for Orient's equaliser. Surely won them a massive pay day with a replay at the Emirates.

Absolutely deserved as well. Orient played decent, while Arsenal were pedestrian (that's probably putting it kindly). Still, given I knew Wenger would rotate heavily (although didn't quite expect a completely different starting XI) and the decent form Orient has displayed recently, I was thinking a Cup upset was on the cards, so a replay is sorta an improvement on that assessment. What it is however is another game that the club doesn't really need. It also shows that Arsenal cannot play an entirely different XI to the strongest team and expect to win games regularly.

Had to have our dog put down this morning given she had gone completely blind and was getting quite stressed due to not being able to navigate anymore (her hearing had more or less gone as well). Pretty darned sad about it all. 16 years, it's been a long time but I guess that's life. :(

Probably about 15 years since we had to do that to the last dog we had, Bal, there are still days when I miss her, but the memories by now are happy ones, not sad (and it's not taken 15 years for me to get to this point).

Not a nice day for you, Bal, but once you get over the shock you'll have fond memories of the 16 years of her life. And remember, we're all here for you, buddy.

Cheers gents. :thup:

I had rationalised it in my head that this was the best thing for her given what had happened, and also that this was coming sooner rather than later given her age (she's a Cocker Spaniel, so 16 years is pretty darned long). I wasn't very emotional about it in the lead-up.

But lifting her into the car and patting her goodbye for the last time (my parents took her this morning to the vet clinic, I was just there to help keep her calm getting her to and into the car before heading to work) was ridiculously sad. :(

But yes, I have plenty of good memories to remember and look back on. Our dog was pretty darned stupid, but like all dogs she was all unconditional love and plenty of fun and good company. :D

Balthazars,

Just appreciate these moments for what they are; grieving ones. All folks grieve differently, especially when it comes to pets. For me, it was over a year before I really grieved, but eventually I was able to convey some of my thanks to our dog after he passed in my story, A Spartan Existence. Like your dog, ours was was able to offer plenty of unconditional love, plenty of fun, and good company too.

Had to have our dog put down this morning given she had gone completely blind and was getting quite stressed due to not being able to navigate anymore (her hearing had more or less gone as well). Pretty darned sad about it all. 16 years, it's been a long time but I guess that's life. :(

I'm very sorry. It's only a few months since we lost ours, it's very tough to begin with. But as time goes on it becomes easier to remember the good memories throughout your pet's life.

Hang in there.

Is it unreasonable for me to think he has an incredibly unbalanced and short sighted view of the game, like a fan plucked from the terrace and given a gig as journalist? I can't help but see an underlying anti-British sentiment in his work too. Basically I want someone to re-assure me that this guy isn't a big deal in sports journalism in America.

That's actually a pretty fair view of him.

To those of us who are true soccer fans, Gardner is a bit of a laughing-stock. I personally don't read his stuff, but I've seen some of it, and he has a reputation in the soccer journalism/blogging circle as that annoying little geek pushing his glasses up on the bridge of his nose and asking Sunil Gulati when he'll mandate promotion and relegation in the American game. He hates everything about US Soccer and lambastes every decision, and thus is basically known as a blowhard.

Unfortunately, in the American soccer world there are millions of casual fans who don't know any better and take his word as law. His intention, on the surface, is to try and promote the improvement of US Soccer but in reality he just feeds the Anglophile/Europoseur juggernaut that exists in our fan culture.

That's actually a pretty fair view of him.

To those of us who are true soccer fans, Gardner is a bit of a laughing-stock. I personally don't read his stuff, but I've seen some of it, and he has a reputation in the soccer journalism/blogging circle as that annoying little geek pushing his glasses up on the bridge of his nose and asking Sunil Gulati when he'll mandate promotion and relegation in the American game. He hates everything about US Soccer and lambastes every decision, and thus is basically known as a blowhard.

Unfortunately, in the American soccer world there are millions of casual fans who don't know any better and take his word as law. His intention, on the surface, is to try and promote the improvement of US Soccer but in reality he just feeds the Anglophile/Europoseur juggernaut that exists in our fan culture.

Wonderful, I was really looking forward to that, thank you :D

It's not so much that he is factually wrong, just the way he manipulates it comes across as snide as far as I'm concerned. One of his pieces that really grated with me was when he was talking about David Beckham (not so fussed about that) and he said something along the lines of "Only the English, as a footballing culture, could place so much importance on the so called 'skill' that is crossing the ball."

What next? Rory Delap to be extradited and given the electric chair for having the cheek to blight the game with his long throws? :D

"Only the English, as a footballing culture, could place so much importance on the so called 'skill' that is crossing the ball."

Yes, it's much, much better to simply play long ball. Preferably to a lone forward. Much more artistic.

Oh, and happy birthday salkster. :)

Why thank you. A dinner time pub break and out for tea with the family tonight is a decent birthday for me so thank you :)

Balth I am sorry for your loss. I had my dog put down when I was five so I don't really remember my dog. Nevertheless when my dog was put down me and my sister was left with my neighbours whilst my parents went to go and get it done. When they got back I will never forget the look on my dads face. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen my dad cry. I've had the pain of losing my rabbit after having her for 5 years so although I can't feel 16 years of pain but I certainly know what you are going through. My condolences go to you.

Then again, Xen, if you want to read one of the worst voices in American soccer "literature" (term very loose), go to Bigsoccer.com (in a Hazmat suit) and read Bill Archer.

I did.

All of which brings us to the question of why it is that Gulati and Garber engineered this result and were willing to bend/ twist/ break/sidestep - pick your term - the rules to do it.

That might be one of the worst sentences I've ever seen.

Then again, Xen, if you want to read one of the worst voices in American soccer "literature" (term very loose), go to Bigsoccer.com (in a Hazmat suit) and read Bill Archer.

I had a look and got as far as his profile pic, of a monkey smoking a fag. Kind of told me all I needed to know.

In other news, I was speaking on the phone to my youngest brother (aged 5) and I was asking which football team he liked the most, because I was planning on buying him a little shirt for his birthday. Now I'm expecting this to go one of two ways; Chelsea (who my father supports) or United (who I support, along with my grandfather, my uncle, my other brother and an army of first and second cousins).

After a pregnant pause I hear a little voice say...........'Tottenham'.

Yeah that's not going to happen.

Get him a Rangers shirt so he'll understand the Great Depression when they teach it to him in school.

Almost fell out of my chair laughing at this one! Well done sir.

And SCIAG, yes, I always wondered why Reading went with the horizontal stripes, not very flattering, are they!

Archived