AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by AB-forever:

Is it just me or do the World Beaters start to detoriate a little too early (well their CAs anyway)?

It seems most attacking players do - once the top midfielders and strikers hit 27 they begin to lose CA.

However, it does seem to take a couple more years before that hits their performances - often their most successful years come after the CA drops a little. Experience, I guess.

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Great update as usual Kipfizh icon14.gif

Although your comment about the original Bandits all retiring from management made me realize that in your game I'd be 71 years old icon_eek.gif

Weirdly, I thought about that too - not thinking the 2050s were that unrealistic, I suddenly realised I'd be 72...

Originally posted by Vintage2006:

Long time reader. havn't posted (that i remember of) this is great reading.. i check back every couple of months and read at once. With the former bandits players nearly all retired altogether, is this experiment reaching its end/

Absolutely not - updates may be slow, but they will keep coming icon_smile.gif

On that note, there'll be a squad update later today.

Season 2053-54

Bandits report - Transfers

Transfers In

Transfers Out

For the first time in a number of seasons, the Bandits were preparing to enter a campaign with the same manager that had guided them throughout the previous year. Nicholson had revamped the squad, reducing its age by ruthlessly selling some top names, but replacing them with real prospects.

It was not just his acumen in the transfer market that was shown though, as he led the team to third in the Premiership in what had largely been predicted to be a transitional season. Now with a chance to return to the Champions League, he will be looking to build on that excellent platform.

Summer

It was to be a summer of a major clearout. After a couple of youth players were released, the first sale was made, 24 year old centre back Kristoffer Hals moving to Arsenal for 5.75m. Close to his potential of 171, Hals had not really made much of an impression for the Bandits, and although he was a decent squad player he was allowed to leave.

Argentine midfielder Juan Jose Martinez Gutierrez had been a strange signing three years ago – past his peak and never that talented, he hadn’t appeared for the Bandits in two years, and moved to Port Vale on a free transfer. Veterans Bill Beckham and Gary Reid followed him out of the door, as Reynolds’ brutal policy on the over 30s continued.

28 year old centre back Josip Simunovic had not performed when called upon, so was another to leave on July 1, but the Croatian’s departure was followed by one that actually counted, and hurt. Gustavo Rodriguez is now just 15 points from his PA of 184, and at 21 has time on his side, but left to join Valencia for just 2.9m. They couldn’t hold on to him either, and Sheff Wed snapped him up.

The most senior players in the squad continued to depart, 36 year old Scott McDermott, 34 year old Martyn Jones, and 36 year old Eduardo Castillejo were all released, with the legendary Spaniard moving into retirement. A couple more of the poorer youth players were also disposed of, before a the final act of the day was to sell Massimo Basile, who never quite fulfilled his massive potential. At 26, he could still improve a little, but was still twenty points from his huge potential of 185, and Sunderland’s offer of 7.5m was too good to refuse. He is playing poorly for his new club.

All in all, the Bandits had sold or released thirteen players on the opening day of the summer transfer window, with most of them either youth who would never make it, or the elder ones far past their peak.

One more youth player moved on a few days later, and then the revolving door quietened down, until one more sale in August that hurt. Keith Ellis might have been taking his time to improve, but is still only 21 and his potential of 174 is very reachable. Nonetheless, he was deemed surplus to requirements, the striker moving to Aston Villa for 2.8m. To be fair, he hasn’t impressed there yet.

And that was it for the sales. Basile and Hals were decent squad players, with Rodriguez and Ellis had excellent potential, so those sales perhaps could’ve been avoided, but the rest of the long list of departures aren’t going to worry anyone, even though there were some club and world legends in the list.

The list of names coming in was far shorter, as Reynolds tried to plug a few gaps in his squad rather than continue with the overhaul of last year.

First to join was Marjan Mitrev, a Macedonian right sided player, able to play anywhere up the flank. At just 22, he adds to the list of promising youngsters, his CA of 157 likely to reach his potential of 171 in time. At just 70k from Macedonian side Pobeda, he is a bargain.

The right wing was then strengthened further by a man who can also play in the centre of midfield. Jose Maria Aizpurua is a 26 year old Spaniard, but his price of 6.5m from Athletic Bilbao seemed excessive given that his ability has already peaked at 154. Still, his stats seem well distributed, so perhaps he is a better player than he seems.

Only one more signing was made, Spanish centre back Alejandro Torres joining from Liverpool for 6.75m. The 21 year old looks a real prospect, with a CA of 156 already, potentially rising to 176 in time.

And with that, Reynolds closed the chequebook for the summer. The fans were unsure, knowing that he had proved his ability in the transfer market before reassured them, but they were hoping for a few more names coming in before the season started. A couple of sales were made that the fans didn’t want to see, but two of the new names in were equally good prospects.

There was no doubt that the squad was thinner, but it was mainly the deadwood that had been cast aside. With a more settled look to the first team, would they push on this season?

January

Reynolds hadn’t made many signings in August, and the first half of the season had passed with a thinner but fairly settled squad.

Having had such a clearout in the summer, Reynolds only followed it up by selling two players when the window opened again in January. The first to go was 27 year old David Mulgrew, who had never made an impression on the first team, but the second sale was more painful.

21 year old Tom Barton has a PA of 185 but that doesn’t tell the full story. A hattrick on debut for the England Under 21s was followed by a string of impressive performances and his first full cap. But he couldn’t get into the Bandits side, because of all the competition up front, and after scoring twice in three games in the first half of the season, moved to Man Utd for 13.25m, searching for regular first team football. He isn’t first choice there yet either, but is a lethal finisher and will surely go on to being one of the top strikers in world football. The Bandits may regret this one.

Coming in for the same price as Barton’s sale, 13.25m, was the powerful and skilful central midfielder Warren Adams, who signed from Spurs. At 27, he was signed to move straight into the team, which he did, his CA of 173 making him one of the most talented players in the squad. His PA is two points higher.

Also arriving was Paul Reid, who cost 5.5m from Aston Villa having impressed there. The 25 year old centre back was five points short of his potential of 165, so is probably just a squad player, but mentally he is exceptionally strong and may be the sort of person that helps in the dressing room.

Replacing Tom Barton up front was Daniel Fuente, a Spanish striker who had never been able to force his way into the West Ham team ahead of Bjorn Strand. The 26 year old has peaked at 163, so isn’t in Barton’s league, but costing 5m he is useful enough.

The final signing was a more immediate solution to the striker conundrum. Michael de Lange may only have a CA of 165, but the 25 year old Dutch forward has a PA of 172 and his stats are very well distributed – he is a pacey finisher. Prolific for Feyenoord, he joined for 8.5m.

And that was that. No spectacularly good signings, and one sale that really hurt – Tom Barton. But the old guard have been cleared out, and the squad is shaped more to Reynolds’ design. Can he succeed?

Bandits report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

Haaland, D/WB RL, 31, 176-188 (-1)

Messner, ST, 25, 175-175 (+5)

Harris, AM L, 21, 173-178 (+4)

Adams, MC, 27, 173-175 – new signing

Rowntree, DC, 26, 172-177 (+3)

Dompig, D/M C, 28, 170-170 (-)

Johnstone, GK, 34, 169-173 (-2)

Pollard, MC, 24, 167-177 (+5)

McParland, GK, 24, 167-173 (+4)

Schweinsteiger, AM/F C, 30, 166-173 (-4)

Simon, SW/D LC, 32, 166-166 (-)

de Lange, ST, 25, 165-172 – new signing

Veiga, D/WB L, 25, 163-178 (+3)

Fuente, ST, 26, 163-163 – new signing

Cook, D/WB R, 23, 163-170 (+3)

Gomez, DR, 29, 162-180 (-1)

Halonen, GK, 23, 162-171 (+3) – re-entry in top 20

Reid, SC, 25, 160-165 – new signing

Martin, ST, 31, 158-178 (-8)

Russell, WB/AM R, 28, 157-184 – new entry in top 20

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

Griffin, DC, 26, 168-174

Hals, DC, 23, 166-171

Basile, MC, 26, 165-185

Beckham, GK, 33, 160-161

Rodriguez, AM R, 20, 159-184

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

Americo, ST, 29, 151-172 (-14)

Good and bad news here – the bad news is that four players were sold who would’ve been in the top twenty this season, but the good news is that there are players replacing them by simply getting better. Near the top, they have Messner, Harris, Rowntree and more improving and moving up the list, and it is a much younger set of twenty than usual.

If star kids can be retained, any signings will just improve this squad further. How far can they go?

Notable others:

Harper, AM/F C, 19, 156-181 (+13)

Torres, DC, 21, 156-176 – new signing

Sayer, ST, 23, 156-174 (+2)

Barton and Ellis are sold, but Torres is signed, and the Bandits don’t often have starlets at the back. Harper continues to improve at a fabulous rate but Sayer’s development has noticeably slowed.

CA of X or above:

190 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

180 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

170 : 0 … 1, 3, 4, 4, 4, 6, 9, 5, 6

160 : 0 … 8, 10, 9, 12, 9, 15, 17, 19, 18

150 : 0 … 16, 21, 20, 19, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27

140 : 0 … 20, 26, 25, 25, 27, 27, 29, 33, 29

130 : 0 … 26, 30, 30, 28, 30, 30, 32, 35, 30

120 : 0 … 28, 31, 30, 29, 34, 30, 35, 36, 31

110 : 0 … 28, 32, 31, 31, 35, 33, 37, 39, 31

100 : 2 … 30, 38, 34, 33, 39, 36, 38, 41, 32

You can tell that Reynolds considered a lot of players to be deadwood, as he cast aside most under at CA of 150, simply not being interested in anyone that poor who wasn’t going to improve.

At the top, the number of 170 players climbs a little, but there is very little difference above the culling 150 line.

Very interesting! Where the heck did they find Mitrev. Very impressive to be pulling what must be a relatively unknown player from a completely unknown team. This suggests the Bandits' scouting knowledge is expanding to the lesser known regions. Excellent!

That Barton sale is a killer. Is it possible that he will be the catalyst for a resurrection at Old Trafford? Otherwise, it seems a brutal, but efficient, transfer year. Love to see the old wood jettisoned.

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God...

I can't wait for the season report!

You still da man, Kip!

C'mon the Bandits!

kipfizh, Firstly let me congratulate you on a fantastic post, i only found it yesterday and i have read most of it. However quick question (and appologies if answred elsewhere) but in hindsight is there anything you could have done to keep the bandit players at the club for longer?

Hmmm. Some concerning things. He's selling some young players with huge potential for peanuts, and buying squad players in for a fortune.

At least it's not just us players who get reamed by the AIs transfer dealings icon_biggrin.gif

The benefit of the loss of the aged players is that we might blood a few youngsters, but the lack of major movement should lead to a more settled and thusly more successful season.

G'wan the Bandits!

Originally posted by Small Print:

Any chance of a screenshot to show us what they've won over the last 45+ years?

Or you could scroll up to the top of this very page wherein Kipfizh helpfully adds :

"Honours: League Cup (2044, 2047, 2052)"

Just sayin'.

Cool win in the league cup! Looking forward to this year's Champions League Campaign? Two quick questions if you'd be so kind as to answer, 1) where are Norwich these days and more relevant 2) have the Bandits undergone any board changes, and if so, have they had any affect on the club?

Originally posted by VonBlade:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Small Print:

Or you could scroll up to the top of this very page wherein Kipfizh helpfully adds :

Just sayin'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well theyve won moe than that what about all the leagues theyve won.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Small Print:

Just sayin'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno how I missed that big post...

Thanks!

Not very good really 3 League cup trophys considering the amount of money gone into the team.

Will they only ever be remember as being a cup side?

I doubt it since they still have a huge bank balance. If there bank balance was normal, due to the board being crap, I think Bandits would get relegated and go into major problems very very quickly.

Originally posted by gooooaaaaallll:

kipfizh, Firstly let me congratulate you on a fantastic post, i only found it yesterday and i have read most of it. However quick question (and appologies if answred elsewhere) but in hindsight is there anything you could have done to keep the bandit players at the club for longer?

To be honest, I'm not sure there was. Their reputation was low, loyalty high, and they loved the Bandits. Had their CA been lower they might've stayed longer, but they wouldn't have been useful.

Perhaps they could've hated every club in the Premiership, but I didn't really want to wreck their careers!

Hmmm. Some concerning things. He's selling some young players with huge potential for peanuts, and buying squad players in for a fortune.

If he'd kept Barton I think we all would've been happy, but the fella left even though United have a much lower rep. Irritating!

Originally posted by mattpiulton:

Not very good really 3 League cup trophys I doubt it since they still have a huge bank balance. If there bank balance was normal, due to the board being crap, I think Bandits would get relegated and go into major problems very very quickly.

Quite possibly, but without the major bank balance they'd be like every other club in the game and that wouldn't be that interesting icon_smile.gif

Report's being written and making progress.

One thing I will mention - Welling's FA Cup triumph two seasons ago, and their subsequent prize money and (brief) UEFA Cup fun has seriously boosted the club.

Having won the Conference South by 30 points last season, they've only gone and dominated the Conference this year, winning that one too.

Another club rising from slumber?

Originally posted by kipfizh:

One thing I will mention - Welling's FA Cup triumph two seasons ago, and their subsequent prize money and (brief) UEFA Cup fun has seriously boosted the club.

Having won the Conference South by 30 points last season, they've only gone and dominated the Conference this year, winning that one too.

Excellent, can't wait. It would be great if it were done before I have to leave work at 5.00 icon_wink.gif

Interesting stuff with regards to Welling, will you bee keepinh us updated as to their progress from now on? I hope so.

As for this seasons transfers, I'm disappointed that some talented youngsters have been sold, but at the same time some good players have come in to replace them. The squad's not been changed too much and the same manager's in charge for a second season running, so hopefully that will make for a good season. However, I still don't feel the Bandits have made use of their massive spending power in the slightest. Hopefully after this seasons Champions League run we'll see them going after some world stars.

Welling aren't the new Bandits, their trophy is better than anything the Bandits have won, sadly.

Yet another potential star sold - I have to say, the most disappointing part of this experiment is that the richest team in the world refuses to either buy or retain anyone who cracks a 180 PA. I suppose we can't fault the AI for not being able to handle such a scenario, as it is wholly unrealistic, but you'd think in real life, a team with the Bandits set-up would be more successful. I guess they're really just Newcastle - lots of support, not so much on-field success.

Still a mighty interesting tale after all these years, kip.

How does their reputation and bank balance compare to other teams in League 2?

Also, a bit disappointed by the transfers but the team still is pretty good and after 3rd place last year since most players stayed the team could gel perfectly and hopefully have an even better season than last year.

Originally posted by Sam Cicurel:

just as a matter of interest, how old are you as a manager on the game kipfizh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Great update as usual Kipfizh

Although your comment about the original Bandits all retiring from management made me realize that in your game I'd be 71 years old

Weirdly, I thought about that too - not thinking the 2050s were that unrealistic, I suddenly realised I'd be 72...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're a brute, Kip.

You give us a nice taste of that good stuff, only to let us languish in withdrawal for a week.

I, for one, am clawing my skin off. It's really quite grotesque.

But, being the committed addict that I am, I'll keep crawling back for more, only to be disappointed again, and again, and again.

You're still the man. I just had to decompress. I guess I have to go back to my real world intoxicants.

Originally posted by pjtopor:

Welling aren't the new Bandits, their trophy is better than anything the Bandits have won, sadly.

Yet another potential star sold - I have to say, the most disappointing part of this experiment is that the richest team in the world refuses to either buy or retain anyone who cracks a 180 PA. I suppose we can't fault the AI for not being able to handle such a scenario, as it is wholly unrealistic, but you'd think in real life, a team with the Bandits set-up would be more successful. I guess they're really just Newcastle - lots of support, not so much on-field success.

Still a mighty interesting tale after all these years, kip.

Technically IIRC, The Bandits are the second richest in the World behind Chelsea

Bandits report - Best and Worst

General

Stats

Finance Overview

The Bandits once again spent a fortune on players, but their financial income means that is registered barely a blip on their balance.

New records:

None

This season:

Best player – McParland/Martin, 7.48

Top scorer – Messner, 20

Worst player – Gomez, 6.22

The Bandits remain at the top of the rich list for the third consecutive season.

Rich Clubs

Sorry folks, been very unwell for the past few days, so it's all been on hold. You won't have to wait long though icon_smile.gif

As for the rich list, I'm not sure how it's calculated, but I don't believe it takes bank balance into account, being just an asset valuation.

So the Bandits are down as being the richest club in the world even though they don't have the most money.

That's strange because I did the same sort of thing, but I just kind of put Future gods of the game in the A-league, one for each position for Australia and a manager. Wasn't the whole Conference south thing but hey...

It's strange because not one of the players were registered in the first season for the A-league... I haven't finished mine either.

Good luck to it... I would say that all those players will go to Lyon...

Sorry folks, been very unwell for the past few days,

Strained fingers from too much Guitar hero is my bet?

I have a Wii injury from too much Mario Kart at the moment, surprised I have not lost my voice from all the swearing, bloody on-line games!

Kip, how poor (in CA terms) are most of the managers in the top flight at the moment?

Originally posted by Some guy....:

That's strange because I did the same sort of thing, but I just kind of put Future gods of the game in the A-league, one for each position for Australia and a manager. Wasn't the whole Conference south thing but hey...

It's strange because not one of the players were registered in the first season for the A-league... I haven't finished mine either.

I've read your post seven times now and still can't quite understand what you're on about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

How does their reputation and bank balance compare to other teams in League 2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Financially, they'll be in the middle somewhere, but they're already third in the reputation stakes so have a good shout of another promotion challenge.

Originally posted by The Lambs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

Sorry folks, been very unwell for the past few days,

Strained fingers from too much Guitar hero is my bet?

I have a Wii injury from too much Mario Kart at the moment, surprised I have not lost my voice from all the swearing, bloody on-line games!

Kip, how poor (in CA terms) are most of the managers in the top flight at the moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha, if only!

As for the managerial situation, it is worth that ever.

Half of the CAs are under 100, the best are at Villa and Portsmouth with CAs of 168 and 156, Reynolds is in the top half and....

Spurs have just hired a hilariously bad manager - Stoyan Mirchev, with a CA of 21 and a PA of 39. He's hopeless! Surely Spurs won't be making a title challenge in the season after the one I'm about to post....

Originally posted by crafty bison:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Some guy....:

I've read your post seven times now and still can't quite understand what you're on about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must admit it's got me stumped too, but I'm guessing the Lyon comment is a prediction without realising how long this experiment has gone on for?

Bandits report – Season report

It had been a quiet summer of purchases, while the deadwood in the squad had been comprehensively cleared out, but the fans were hoping a more settled first team would lead to a season of success. Back in the Champions League, provided they could get through the qualifying round, it was a chance to test themselves against the best once again.

It was with the Champions League qualifier that the season began, away to Panathanaikos. Americo gave the Bandits the lead before half time, but a minute later the Greek side were level. Nonetheless, the 1-1 draw put Reynolds’ side in the driving seat ahead of the home leg.

The league campaign started with the same result at Aston Villa, before the crucial return leg came around. The home fans were shocked when Panathanaikos took the lead after only ten minutes, cancelling out their away goal from the first leg. Now, if they scored again, the Bandits would be in massive trouble. Before half time, young centre back Torres put the tie level again, and despite chances at both ends that was how it ended, the tie eventually going to extra time and penalties.

The shoot out was equally close. Locked at 3-3 at the end of the regular set of five, new signing Marjan Mitrev missed the first penalty in sudden death, and the Greeks took full advantage, cruelly knocking the Bandits out before they had even got going. After working so hard to get into the competition, it was a bitter pill to taste.

They put their European disappointment to one side to rack up three consecutive wins in the Premiership, over Portsmouth, Burnley and Leicester. Then, it was the turn of the UEFA Cup, and a trip to Brondby. Having failed to make the Champions League group stages, it would be a disaster to do the same in the secondary competition.

It all looked bleak when Americo was sent off after only 12 minutes, but at half time the tie was still goalless, and the Bandits were desperate to stave off the increasing waves of Danish attack. In the second half, the ten men still managed to create a number of chances, but it was Brondby who took the lead, and to the delight of the home fans doubled it with thirteen minutes to go.

With six minutes left on the clock, however, it was the Bandits turn to cheer, Michael Messner scoring a potentially pivotal away goal, but there was one more gut wrenching moment to come, Brondby twisting the knife with a third at the death. Suddenly, having come into the season with European ambitions, the dream was almost over.

And this time, the depression carried over to the Premiership, with a 4-1 defeat at Leeds followed up by a 2-0 defeat at home to Liverpool. Brondby arrived in town for the second leg full of confidence, while the Bandits had been flattened even in this early part of the season.

But a 2-0 win would suffice, and Tom Barton set them on their way with a goal halfway through the first period. But the real kicker came on the half hour, when Brondby equalised, scoring their own away goal. If they got another, the Bandits would need a surely impossible five. The campaign was hanging by the slimmest of threads.

In the second half, young left winger Tony Harris gave them hope, and with sixteen minutes left Javier Esteban Martin scored a priceless goal to level to tie overall, 3-1 on the night, 4-4 overall. We were heading for extra time.

With various strikers injured, youngster Lee Humphreys was on the bench, with his CA of only 101. But he was thrown on when Barton got injured to make his first and only appearance of the season. And it was he who sent the fans into raptures when he scored a priceless goal in the second period of extra time. A Brondby goal would still put them out, but it never came, and the Bandits had turned the tie on its head and kept their European ambitions going.

The league form was still stuttering, with two draws and a defeat before the UEFA Cup group stage began, and it started with a disappointing home draw with Heerenveen. With a tough group, they were again up against it.

Before the next European game, a tricky trip to Deportivo, they managed impressive wins over Man City and West Ham, in addition to reversing the penalty heartache from earlier in the season, knocking Leeds out of the League Cup after a 2-2 draw.

The Deportivo trip began badly, as the Bandits went a goal down early, but some wasteful finishing by the Spaniards kept them in it, before Tom Barton grabbed a second half equaliser. With minutes remaining, Martin stunned his home country by winning it for the Bandits. It was a truly fantastic result, and set them up with a great chance of qualifying for the knockout stages.

The win gave the team confidence, and they embarked on a nine match unbeaten run in the league, until they were beaten by Burnley on Boxing Day, but the League Cup run came to an end with a quarter final defeat at Wolves. In the UEFA Cup, they were twice denied by late equalisers in the games with Hannover and Monaco, but two 1-1 draws was enough to see them safely through the group in third.

As the year turned, the league’s good form turned bad, the long unbeaten run replaced by a winless streak, as they gained just four points from seven games to slip back towards midtable and away from the European places. But they were managing wins in the FA Cup, Wrexham and West Ham both comfortably dispatched in rounds three and four. The cup season was proving to be quite successful.

Europe came around again, and it was familiar opposition in UEFA Cup holders Sporting, who they’d faced in both of their previous two Champions League groups without much success. Again, the Portuguese side had dropped out of the Champions League, so it was a particularly tough draw for the Bandits.

Or so they thought. David Schweinsteiger scored a spectacular first leg hattrick at home, and the defence kept a clean sheet to take a three goal lead to Portugal. In the opening minute of the second leg, the German added his fourth of the tie to completely kill it off, and although Sporting ended up pulling it back to 1-1, the Bandits progressed with ease.

The games were coming thick and fast, so it didn’t help that Blackburn pinched a late equaliser in the FA Cup fifth round tie, forcing a replay that the Bandits could’ve done without, but it wasn’t to matter, as Blackburn were hammered 4-1 in the replay to send the Bandits through to the quarter finals.

Then came a tricky fortnight, playing Man City twice (Premiership and FA Cup quarter final), and Inter twice in the UEFA Cup, after the Bandits had been dealt yet another horrible draw. But it got off to a good start with a Premiership win over City, their first win in eight league games, and a result that pushed them back inside the top six.

As for the European tie, Michael Messner scored an early goal in the home leg, but Inter grabbed a critical away goal before half time. Messner scored his second from the penalty spot, and the game ended 2-1 to the Bandits, perfectly poised for the trip to the San Siro.

But before all that came Man City once again, and if the two sides were getting sick of the sight of each other, they’d be disappointed – City’s recovery from 2-0 down at home to force a replay meant that yet another match would be scheduled between the pair.

Five days later, the Bandits travelled to Inter for their biggest game of the season. And it started perfectly, Aizpurua shocking the Italians with an early away goal. But ten minutes later, Inter had scored twice and the tie was exactly level. Both teams had chances in a surprisingly open game, but halfway through the second half the crucial moment game, and it was a glorious one – Schweinsteiger popping up with another wonderful goal to give the Bandits a massive advantage. Inter were deflated, and had no answer, and the Bandits were in the quarter finals.

The squad were getting tired, but they were continuing to make progress, and before long, the semi final of the FA Cup had been reached, Martin’s solitary goal enough to see of Man City in the quarter final replay. The league form, meanwhile, was up and down, but they were in and around the European places, and with the league so tight, even qualifying for the Champions League again was a possibility.

As March turned into April, they sat sixth in the league, and Reynolds took his tired men to Germany to face Werder Bremen in the UEFA Cup quarter final. It was to be a harrowing experience. After two minutes they went a goal down, four minutes later the lead of doubled. And when the third went in just after half time it was a case of damage limitation. Liam Johnstone kept the score down, but they never looked like grabbing an away goal, and their European dream was as good as over.

Instead of letting their heads drop, however, they took out their frustrations on Sheff Wed, beating them 3-0 in the league to move up to fourth spot with six games remaining. The same opponents were laying in wait in the FA Cup semi final.

The return leg against Bremen still drew a fantastic crowd, and their optimism was fuelled when, after only five minutes, Bremen were reduced to ten men. Perhaps the tie wasn’t over? On sixteen minutes, Tony Harris gave the Bandits a lifeline, and with 25 left to play, Messner doubled the lead, pulling the tie back to 3-2 overall. Even with ten men, Bremen was creating chances, but with eight minutes to go, the home support went crazy after Schweinsteiger continued his fine European form with the third.

Extra time arrived, and with the Germans tiring with only ten men, veteran Tom Finley popped up on the stroke of half time in extra time to kill off the tie. The Bandits had remarkably overturned a 3-0 deficit with a 4-0 win in the return leg, and were in their second semi final of the season.

A draw with Derby in the league preceded the FA Cup semi final with Sheff Wed, and with the Bandits having cup fever, there was huge hope around the club. Michael de Lange added to that with an early goal, but before long the Bandits were down to ten men, Torres ordered off. Sheff Wed took advantage in the second half, scoring twice to run out 2-1 winners, and Warren Adams joined Torres in the dressing room early too, completing a poor day for the club.

But again they shrugged off their disappointment and exhaustion with a superb 1-0 victory over Chelsea in a match that the losing side admittedly dominated, only being kept at bay by the inspired Liam Johnstone. Suddenly Champions League qualification was really on.

The UEFA Cup semi final was a domestic affair, West Ham arriving in town for the first leg, and it was critical that the Bandits did not defend as poorly as they had in Bremen. They didn’t, keeping a clean sheet, and once again Schweinsteiger popped out with a perfectly timed goal to put the Bandits in the driving seat.

Sunderland held them to a 1-1 draw in the league, and West Ham quickly cancelled out the slender advantage the Bandits had in the semi final, scoring early in the second leg to even out the tie. Tom Plet then added his second of the day in the second half, and the Bandits had no answer this time, going out one step before the final.

So now it was all about European qualification, preferably into the Champions League, and that took a hit when Arsenal went 3-0 up before half time in the league. Two Daniel Fuente goals brought the score back to 3-2, but it wasn’t enough. The Bandits now led Chelsea by three points with two game remaining, and with a slightly better goal difference.

It was a good time to play bottom club Leicester, but the Bandits seemed to want to hand the advantage to their opponents, going down to ten men and scoring an own goal, but they still managed to emerge victorious, winning 3-2. Chelsea won too though, and went into the final day of the season three points back, and five back on goal difference. It would take a huge turnaround to deny the Bandits their fourth spot, but dramatic turnarounds had been the theme of the season.

Alarm bells started ringing when the Bandits went down to ten men early against United, but they weren’t capitalising, and at half time their match was level at 0-0. Chelsea were beating Chesterfield, but only 2-1, so there were no cause for panic. But in the second half, United ran into a 3-0 lead, and with Chelsea extending their advantage to 3-1, suddenly the points and goal difference were level, and Chelsea were fourth by virtue of their three extra goals.

Try as they might, the Bandits couldn’t get the crucial goal, and they would finish fifth, cruelly denied at the last.

And that has very much been the story of the season. It has been an impressive campaign, a good league challenge despite three cup runs, but in the end, all came to a disappointing climax. Two semi finals, one quarter final, and fourth place denied at the very last match.

Still, the club were going places, and the fans began to look forward to the summer. And what a summer it would turn out to be….

Honours: League Cup (2044, 2047, 2052)

Bandits report – Season summary

2006-07, English Conference South - 1st, FA Trophy - Winners

2007-08, English National Conference - 7th, FA Trophy - Final

2008-09, English National Conference – 7th

2009-10, English National Conference – 9th

2010-11, English National Conference – 6th

2011-12, English National Conference – 18th

2012-13, English National Conference – 5th

2013-14, English National Conference – 1st

2014-15, English League Two – 21st

2015-16, English League Two – 21st

2016-17, English League Two – 6th

2017-18, English League Two – 6th

2018-19, English League Two – 7th

2019-20, English League Two – 6th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2020-21, English League Two – 10th

2021-22, English League Two – 1st, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy - Final

2022-23, English League One – 13th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2023-24, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Final

2024-25, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Semi-Final

2025-26, English League One – 18th

2026-27, English League One – 17th

2027-28, English League One – 14th

2028-29, English League One – 20th

2029-30, English League One – 1st

2030-31, English Championship – 14th

2031-32, English Championship – 10th, League Cup – Final

2032-33, English Championship – 12th

2033-34, English Championship – 8th

2034-35, English Championship – 21st

2035-36, English Championship – 2nd

2036-37, English Premiership – 17th

2037-38, English Premiership – 12th

2038-39, English Premiership – 15th, FA Cup – Semi-Final

2039-40, English Premiership – 11th

2040-41, English Premiership – 14th

2041-42, English Premiership – 13th

2042-43, English Premiership – 11th

2043-44, English Premiership – 6th, League Cup – Winners

2044-45, English Premiership – 9th

2045-46, English Premiership – 3rd

2046-47, English Premiership – 2nd, League Cup – Winners

2047-48, English Premiership – 5th, League Cup – Final

2048-49, English Premiership – 5th, UEFA Cup – Semi-Final

2049-50

English Premiership: (Pos 11), P 38, W 15, D 7, L 16, F 53, A 52, GD +1, Pts 52

(Media Prediction: 7th)

FA Cup: 5th Round

League Cup: Final

2050-51

English Premiership: (Pos 6), P 38, W 15, D 12, L 11, F 57, A 45, GD +12, Pts 57

(Media Prediction: 7th)

FA Cup: 5th Round

League Cup: 4th Round

2051-52

English Premiership: (Pos 9), P 38, W 16, D 7, L 15, F 56, A 51, GD +5, Pts 55

(Media Prediction: 6th)

FA Cup: Quarter Final

League Cup: Winners

2052-53

English Premiership: (Pos 3), P 38, W 21, D 6, L 11, F 67, A 46, GD +21, Pts 69

(Media Prediction: 8th)

UEFA Cup: 1st Knockout Round

FA Cup: 4th Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

2053-54

English Premiership: (Pos 5), P 38, W 15, D 15, L 8, F 55, A 46, GD +9, Pts 60

(Media Prediction: 5th)

League

UEFA Cup: Semi-Final

FA Cup: Semi-Final

League Cup: Quarter-Final

Bandits report - Best and Worst

General

Stats

Finance Overview

The financial situation at the club is still extraordinarily good.

New records:

Highest Attendance: 139999 v Man City (FA Cup Quarter Final Replay)

This season:

Best player – Johnstone, 7.29

Top scorer – Messner, 21

Worst player – Mitrev, 6.31

After three seasons at the top of the rich list, the Bandits slip back to second, 5m behind Barcelona.

Rich Clubs

Bandits report - First XI Summary

GK: Johnstone (34, 169/173) – 7.29

LB: Veiga (25, 163/178) – 6.76

CB: Simon (32, 166/166) – 6.47

CB: Rowntree (26, 172/177) – 6.90

RB: Haaland (31, 176/188) – 7.11

LM: Harris (21, 173/178) – 6.70

CM: Dompig (28, 170/170) – 6.91

CM: Pollard (24, 167/177) – 6.67

RM: Aizpurua (26, 154/154) – 6.51

ST: Schweinsteiger (30, 166/173) – 6.96

ST: Messner (25, 175/175) – 7.23

Average age – 27.5 (up from last year’s 27.2)

Average CA – 168.3 (up from last year’s 165.7)

Average rating – 6.87 (down from last year’s 7.05)

The average age goes up slightly, but that is a bit deceiving, as it is only because Johnstone won his place back in goal – McParland is ten years younger. Otherwise, the average age is still coming down, noticeably with Harris stepping into left midfield. The average ability goes up because Harris replaced the much worse Thackeray, now Aizpurua needs to be dropped to take the level over 170.

The performance of the team drops considerably, mainly because some players were deployed out of position and struggled – Dompig and Schweinsteiger are happier playing in central defence and midfield respectively.

Bandits report – Outside the first XI

Dropped:

McParland (GK): Johnstone wins his place back, but McParland is ten years younger and should get his time again.

Thackeray (LM): Reynolds finally realises that Tony Harris is by far the better player, and drops Thackeray.

Russell (RM): Aizpurua brought in because Russell was struggling, but neither are really the solution.

Americo (ST): Americo was dropped as Pollard moved into midfield and Schweinsteiger went up front.

Sold:

Basile (CM): Sold, and Dompig moved back into midfield as a result

Prospects

Sayer (23, 156/174) gained only two CA points this season, but was prolific on loan to Portsmouth, scoring 17 goals. At 23, he will now be looking to start for the Bandits or he’ll move on.

Harper (19, 156/181) gained thirteen more CA points in his excellent rise, and had an excellent season on loan at Rangers, scoring nineteen goals at an average of 7.64. He must be kept.

Torres (21, 156/176) arrived last summer but struggled in his first season.

Competitions - Other stats

England enjoyed another perfect qualifying campaign for the World Cup, winning all twelve of their matches without conceding a goal. In the summer tournament, held in Italy, they will be facing Sweden, Australia and Tunisia.

There was an extraordinary finish to the Premiership campaign – holders Spurs went into the final day a point clear of Liverpool, and playing only bottom placed Leicester they must’ve thought the title was theirs again. The fact that Liverpool only drew their final game meant that all they had to do was avoid defeat, but they suffered a 1-0 reverse and Liverpool took the title. Leicester went down with Derby and Portsmouth, while former dominant force Sheff Wed are not the same without Right Mid 1 at the helm, falling to seventh.

Further down the leagues, Welling, who famously won the FA Cup two seasons ago, followed up their dominant Conference South campaign last season by winning the Conference National. They are on the rise.

The FA Cup saw no side from outside the Premiership even make the quarter finals, and Sheff Wed ended up taking the trophy, beating Newcastle 3-0 in the final to ease the pain of their drop in the league. The Bandits enjoyed a great following this season, averaging a record 111255 fans at their home games, with 139999 turning up to see their quarter final replay victory over Man City.

Newcastle did have some cup glory, winning the League Cup, defeating QPR on penalties in the final, after a 2-2 draw.

The Champions League was a familiar tale, Real Madrid beating Bayern Munich in the final once again, taking extra time to do it, legend Abdulkadir’s goal winning the trophy. Sheff Wed were the last English side in it, losing to the eventual winners in the quarter finals. It was Real Madrid’s 24th Champions League trophy, a record. Another record was set, but it isn’t a glamorous one, Vardar and TNS being watched by only 536 people in their first qualifying round.

West Ham ensured that England had some slice of European glory, beating Porto on penalties in the final of the UEFA Cup, former Bandit Robbie Clark hitting the net with the crucial winning spot kick. It was also on his former ground, as the Bandits hosted the final with a record attendance of 139983. The Bandits had also beaten their own average attendance record for the competition, setting it to a new high of 90572.

Player reports – the original Bandits

Goalkeeper 1 – Retired from playing 03/07/2032

2032-, Sunderland (scout), CA 170, PA 170

2033-2034, Liverpool (scout), CA 170, PA 170

2034-2047, West Ham (assistant manager), CA 162, PA 170

2047-, Bandits (assistant manager), CA 134, PA 170

Has been a faithful servant to the Bandits for years, as assistant manager, but will retire this summer.

Goalkeeper 2 – Retired from playing 27/06/2032, from management 2053

Left Back 1 – Retired from playing 30/06/2030

2030-2031, Scunthorpe (fitness coach), CA 110, PA 110

2031-2034, Tottenham (assistant manager), CA 110, PA 110

2034-2035, Tottenham (coach), CA 110, PA 110

2035-2041, Tottenham (assistant manager), CA 110, PA 110

2041-2042, Tottenham (manager), CA 109, PA 110

2042-2048, England (manager), CA 90, PA 110

2048-2049, Bandits (manager), CA 88, PA 110

2049-2051, No Club, CA 88, PA 110

2051-2052, QPR (manager), CA 82, PA 110

2053-, Liverpool (manager), CA 79, PA 110

Has a glorious final season, winning the Premiership in his first full season with Liverpool. He will retire this summer, his reputation restored.

Right Mid 1 – Retired from playing 25/04/2026

2026-2027, Aston Villa (youth coach), CA 130, PA 130

2027-2035, Chelsea (assistant manager), CA 130, PA 130

2035-2037, Chelsea (manager), CA 130, PA 130

2037-2038, Roma (manager), CA 130, PA 130

2038-2042, Chelsea (manager), CA 129, PA 130

2042-2043, No Club, CA 130, PA 130

2043-2045, Milan (manager), CA 126, PA 130

2045-2047, Barcelona (manager), CA 124, PA 130

2047-2053, Sheff Wed (manager), CA 111, PA 130

2053-, Bayern Munich (manager), CA 106, PA 130

Has an excellent first full season in charge of Bayern Munich, taking them to the Champions League final, where they eventually lose to Real Madrid. Shows no sign of wanting to call time on his career.

Centre Mid 1 – Retired from playing 02/07/2030, from management 2051

Archived