AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well, the fan club is ready now icon_biggrin.gif Anyone wish to join is welcome. How to join is explained in detail below:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">i) First of all you need an account on facebook.

ii) When you are registered, you should see an "Applications" menu on the left of your profile page. Click the "Groups" link there.

iii) At groups menu, there is a search option in the upper right. Search for "The Bandits Fan Club" (the name of the group itself) and you'll see our very own group with some other containing the words in the search. Just to prevent any misunderstandings; the club type is mentioned as "Sports & Recreation - Professional Sports".

P.S: I'd have posted the direct link but not very sure if it'll be considered as advertising or not so if anyone experiences a problem in joining just reach me via e-mail in my profile.</pre>

Any ideas to improve the group is more than welcomed and even encouraged. Expect some links and pictures even in the near future. This is just the first step icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by 5ergio:

Well well, the fan club is ready now icon_biggrin.gif Anyone wish to join is welcome. How to join is explained in detail below:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">i) First of all you need an account on facebook.

ii) When you are registered, you should see an "Applications" menu on the left of your profile page. Click the "Groups" link there.

iii) At groups menu, there is a search option in the upper right. Search for "The Bandits Fan Club" (the name of the group itself) and

you'll see our very own group with some other containing the words in the search. Just to prevent any misunderstandings; the club

type is mentioned as "Sports & Recreation - Professional Sports".

P.S: I'd have posted the direct link but not very sure if it'll be considered as advertising or not so if anyone experiences a problem

in joining just reach me via e-mail in my profile.</pre>

Any ideas to improve the group is more than welcomed and even encouraged. Expect some links and pictures even in the near future. This is just the first step icon_biggrin.gif

Fixed. Sorry for the awful display above. icon_frown.gif

Part 3 of the season update

The final got off to a terrible start, with Scott McDermott lasting only twelve minutes before being dismissed for a wild tackle. But with many neutrals worrying if that would ruin the spectacle, the ten men admirably controlled the first half, going into the interval scoreless. The second half began in much the same way, with Sheff Wed surprisingly dormant, and the Bandits deservedly took the lead through Juan Jose Sanchez four minutes after the restart.

Seven minutes later, Sheff Wed woke up, equalising before pressing the previously dominant side back. But they weathered the storm, and with twenty minutes to go, man of the match Barry Garrard popped up to score the winner, and send the Bandits into dreamland. The lead was comfortably retained, and they had rightfully claimed their second League Cup trophy in four years.

With players and fans buzzing alike, focus returned to the Premiership, which continued to be a very close four team race. A draw against Spurs led up to the crunch match at home to Chelsea, with the Bandits sitting two points clear of their rivals. A 1-1 draw changed very little, but wins over West Brom and Liverpool kept the lead at two points with seven games to go.

With Sheff Wed and Charlton faltering, it began to look like a two horse race, and Chelsea handed the Bandits a massive bonus, throwing away a two goal lead at home to struggling Barnsley to draw. But they couldn’t make the most of the slip, losing narrowly at Man City. With six games to play, the gap was down to a single point, although they still had a better goal difference. This one was going all the way.

With Chelsea still involved in the FA Cup and Champions League, the Bandits played twice more over the Easter weekend before their rivals got a game, drawing with Scunthorpe and beating Stoke to extend their lead to five points having played two games more. But with the pressure on Chelsea, they came from behind to beat Arsenal in the first of their games in hand, reducing the gap to two. Destiny was now out of the Bandits’ hands.

And it got worse at the weekend – they were unable to break down a stubborn Morecambe side reduced to ten men in the first half, drawing 2-2 to hand the initiative firmly to Chelsea. But the next day Chelsea lost at QPR, leaving them still three points behind with four to play, one more than the Bandits. With goal difference being a potential divider, the Bandits had +20 to Chelsea’s +18, but with the latter having scored more goals they would go top by winning their game in hand by two.

At the end of April, the press were divided. Chelsea were now out of all the cups, so both sides had only the league to focus on – Chelsea had the experience, but the Bandits had that extra win in the bag. The next weekend saw wins for both sides, the Bandits winning 2-0 against Barnsley, but with Chelsea hammering Portsmouth 4-0 they levelled the goal difference, so any win in their game in hand would now see them top. The Bandits were hoping for a slip, or for two massive wins of their own.

A slip then came, but it wasn’t from Chelsea. Charlton dealt the Bandits a potentially fatal blow in their penultimate match, winning 2-0, and leaving Chelsea with two games to find one win to take them top of the league for the first time in months. It looked grim, but this Premiership campaign was taking twists like no other, and on the Sunday West Ham beat the new favourites 2-1 to keep the race even.

The Bandits had one game to go, a home match against struggling Arsenal. Chelsea lay three points behind, with a game in hand and a better goal difference, but their run-in was tough. In the final week of the season, they would travel to fourth placed Charlton, who had beaten the Bandits only days earlier, before meeting fifth placed Sunderland on the final day. Stuart Davies’ old club would surely love to do him a massive favour.

So it was with bated breath that the Bandits squad gathered to watch Chelsea face their first hurdle. But the champions rose to the challenge, winning with a solitary second half goal. With one game to do, they were finally top, and the Bandits were playing catch up. One goal difference behind and goals scored also not working in their favour, they either had to hope for a Chelsea slip up, or win by two more goals than their rivals.

The media were loving it – the race was tight and exciting and there was a new team involved. The neutrals were cheering on the Bandits, but Chelsea had the experience. Who would win out? Both sides moved on to the final day, for one last battle.

In the eighth minute, the dream came alive, Tom Finley putting the Bandits ahead against Arsenal, and with the Chelsea match still goalless, the challengers got the bit between their teeth and attacked with free flowing vigour. Three minutes later, they doubled their lead, Michael Lancashire the scorer.

But before twenty minutes were up, bad news was coming from Stamford Bridge. Chelsea scored twice in three minutes themselves to race into a 2-0 lead, and with no more goals coming at either match before half time, the sides went into the break as they began the day, separated only by goal difference. The Bandits needed more goals, or a Sunderland comeback at Chelsea. Would they get their wish?

The Bandits pressed forward in earnest, while Chelsea waited for news, unsure as to whether they needed to extend or protect their lead. Time was running out, and fans the country over were looking glum, having hoped that Chelsea would be denied yet another title. And then with twelve minutes left, the season came alive again, with central defender Mustafa de Jong picking the perfect time to score his first goal for the Bandits, putting them into a 3-0 lead. A fourth goal, or a comeback strike for Sunderland, would give them the title.

As both matches entered the final stages, viewers around the country flicked between channels and listened intently to the radio. And then, with minutes to go, “There has been a fourth goal between the Bandits and Arsenalâ€. Who had got it?

Originally posted by kipfizh:

Nice work 5ergio!

And I apologise in advance for being an absolute swine icon_wink.gif

Just one minor minor critisism Kip (which you can't avoid).

I was browsing around... saw the AI experiment thread... latest post by Kipfish.

A Bandits update I thought!!!!... so I downed tools, switched off mobile, switched on 'out of office reply', ... only to find it was a standard reply.

You're a victim of your own success mate icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by achilles elbow:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

Nice work 5ergio!

And I apologise in advance for being an absolute swine icon_wink.gif

Just one minor minor critisism Kip (which you can't avoid).

I was browsing around... saw the AI experiment thread... latest post by Kipfish.

A Bandits update I thought!!!!... so I downed tools, switched off mobile, switched on 'out of office reply', ... only to find it was a standard reply.

You're a victim of your own success mate icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aahh... and while I typed that you added an update.

/crawls under desk icon_frown.gif

AUGH

You rat bastard. icon_razz.gif

You can weasel your way out of the mid-season update by saying you haven't gone further, but you can't do the same with the last match of the season... icon_smile.gif

The reports have certainly gotten more involving lately, making each update a seat-of-the-pants affair. Great work!

Oh crikey, you can tell it's Friday.

Somehow I managed to work out that the 41st season was the 50th.

I'll get my coat.

Good God man! Can you finish the season!! How are we expect to concentrate on anything else until this is done!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

What a season and what a cliffhanger!!!!

Told you it was a corker icon_wink.gif

Incidentally, I realised this morning that this is actually the 50th season of the experiment, remarkably.

It has changed a bit since its inception! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You weren't wrong about that icon14.gif

I can't quite believe I've read over 40 seasons of Bandits progress, amazing. Who'd have thought we'd still be this interested after all the original badits players had retired?

Credit to you mate, not only for coming up with such a quality experiment to start with, but for keeping it so interesting that 40 seasons later I'm probably more eager for updates than ever!!

Originally posted by achilles elbow:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:“There has been a fourth goal between the Bandits and Arsenalâ€. Who had got it?

I can't stand the suspense.

I'm looking up 'open top buses' to rent on the internet. We'll want a parade.

Please be a Bandits goal!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but as a Spurs fan, I fully expect the worst. Methinks it is an Arsenal goal. The Bandits have left themselves stretched at the back as they try for the elusive 4th goal, and been caught on the break icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by bignacboy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by achilles elbow:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:“There has been a fourth goal between the Bandits and Arsenalâ€. Who had got it?

Sorry, but as a Spurs fan, I fully expect the worst. Methinks it is an Arsenal goal. The Bandits have left themselves stretched at the back as they try for the elusive 4th goal, and been caught on the break icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean! icon_frown.gif

Kip, im quite curious on this note to find out whether the AI seemed to account for the goal difference in the match. I mean obviously the Bandits tried to win, but did there appear to be any computer led tactical changes to push for a 4th goal needed to win the title. Because in normal circumstances a club would almost take their foot off the pedal in a 3-0 situation whereas obviously this unique title deciding weekend requires the opposite.

Originally posted by SSC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bignacboy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by achilles elbow:

Sorry, but as a Spurs fan, I fully expect the worst. Methinks it is an Arsenal goal. The Bandits have left themselves stretched at the back as they try for the elusive 4th goal, and been caught on the break icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kip, im quite curious on this note to find out whether the AI seemed to account for the goal difference in the match. I mean obviously the Bandits tried to win, but did there appear to be any computer led tactical changes to push for a 4th goal needed to win the title. Because in normal circumstances a club would almost take their foot off the pedal in a 3-0 situation whereas obviously this unique title deciding weekend requires the opposite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bignacboy:

Kip, im quite curious on this note to find out whether the AI seemed to account for the goal difference in the match. I mean obviously the Bandits tried to win, but did there appear to be any computer led tactical changes to push for a 4th goal needed to win the title. Because in normal circumstances a club would almost take their foot off the pedal in a 3-0 situation whereas obviously this unique title deciding weekend requires the opposite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that much I can tell you without ruining the surprise - judging by the substitutions made, they were going for the fourth.

Seems to me that the AI works out the permutations and knows what it needs. I'm beyond impressed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSC:

And that much I can tell you without ruining the surprise - judging by the substitutions made, they were going for the fourth.

Seems to me that the AI works out the permutations and knows what it needs. I'm beyond impressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSC:

Seems to me that the AI works out the permutations and knows what it needs. I'm beyond impressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting and impressive!

and the result was? icon_biggrin.gif

come on....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

Very interesting and impressive!

and the result was? icon_biggrin.gif

come on.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've put a £5 deposit down on an open top bus.

Bandits report - Best and Worst

General

Stats

Finance Overview

New records:

Highest League Position: 3rd in Premiership (previous: 6th in Premiership)

Most Man of the Match awards: Tom Finley (11)

Highest Transfer Fee Received: 30m from Chelsea for Philip King (previous: 12m from Arsenal for Paul Dove)

Total Transfer Income: 58m

Note: Philip King was well on the way to breaking the assists record – he had ten before being sold in January)

This season:

Best player – Paris, 7.58

Top scorer – Finley, 27

Worst player – Dixon, 6.68

The Bandits moved ahead of Barcelona in the rich list, but Chelsea’s value soared to take the top spot so the Bandits remain in second.

Rich Clubs

Originally posted by amack1n:

And then, with minutes to go, “There has been a fourth goal between the Bandits and Arsenalâ€. Who had got it?

Stop stealing Jeff Stelling's best lines! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He used that line when Cahill equalised against chelsea, however the world already heard the guy watching it shout 'equaliser'. cant remember who was watching it.

I was going to mention that earlier kip, in most circumstances, a league cup win would be great, especially with only one previous trophy won in the club's history, however its poor consolation if we miss out on the league by such a narrow margin, and will be overshadowed if we do win it. so have we won or not?

Crikey, you lot are expecting great things from the Bandits these days, not one person has celebrated the League Cup triumph!

Straight into the group stages of next year's champions league too.

Best year ever, and we're all going to be dissapointed if this last few mnutes don't go our way...

oh come on kip, you've wound us up enough. plus today has seen the start of the bandits fanclub, what better way to commemorate that then with the close of this brilliant season, preferably celebrating a league win, on our inaugral day, but we can't do that if we don't know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nick...:

I guess you've got to write up the season report now.

I reckon at least a week before we get closure on this one icon_wink.gif

Nah, it's mostly done icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post it tonight.. PLEASE.

Archived