[FM11] It started with a Droylsden dream [ FM 2011 - Journeyman career ]

GioGio85

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2018 – Rotherham (npower League 2)

I liked Rotherham; I liked the club, liked the facilities, I liked the team colours and liked the fact that they had given me another crack at league 2.

Sadly nothing seemed to like me. 7 games played, 7 fairly emphatic losses.

My team strugged to score and conceded bucket loads. I know 7 games isn't many, but this was not a good start. The defeats were justified and I couldnt see things getting any better under my stewardship. I wasnt happy with my squad and didnt have faith that I could pull the team out of thismess.

I left the club out of respect for the fans - obviously me and Rotherham did not fit. Im sure they will do better without me.

Back to the job centre.

2018 – Rotherham (npower League 2)

I liked Rotherham; I liked the club, liked the facilities, I liked the team colours and liked the fact that they had given me another crack at league 2.

Sadly nothing seemed to like me. 7 games played, 7 fairly emphatic losses.

My team strugged to score and conceded bucket loads. I know 7 games isn't many, but this was not a good start. The defeats were justified and I couldnt see things getting any better under my stewardship. I wasnt happy with my squad and didnt have faith that I could pull the team out of thismess.

I left the club out of respect for the fans - obviously me and Rotherham did not fit. Im sure they will do better without me.

Back to the job centre.

Wow! You win some and you lose some :D.

Wow! You win some and you lose some :D.

In this case I lost 7 and won 0!

I decided to try a different tactical style, opting to move away from using wingers. This clearly didnt work and I left myself with no options to change it. You live and learn!

That league graph you posted looks a bit like a mountain I ski down.

Less of a slope, felt more like a free fall from a climping wall.

Just to update you all, last night I was offered the Oldham Athletic job. After 11 games the team sat 15th in the Blue Square Conference Premier. I accepted.

2018/19 - Oldham Athletic (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Pre-season Oldham were considered early favourites to compete for the league title, having been relegated last time round. However, after a slow start the former manager was released from his contract.

I joined Oldham Athletic in October with them sitting in 15th position - but unlike my first season at Grimsby the team were still close to the chasing pack, only 9 or so points away from top spot. Journalists and fans alike were for some reason shocked that I had rocked up into the conference again (despite my stinker at Rotherham).

Season review

The team were decent enough with a good goalkeeper in and 2 excellent strikers in Brett Rodgers and Kyle Riley. Scottish right winger Clark Robertson and versatile Northern Irish fullback Mark Scullian also offered us some quality at this level. The rest of the team were pretty average, so I strengthened the squad with some 3 month loan deals.

Sadly most of the above players were unsettled due to the clubs recent relegation and poor start to the year.

I started well and was soon 3rd in the league within 5 games. As I went through the season my form kept up, as did that of my nearest rivals for the title York City and Darlington.

As I went into the business end of the season my form remained strong but I kept failing to capitalise on slip up from my competitors at the top. At this point I hit another landmark, my 400th game as manager.

Despite beating York comprehensively I went into my last game in 2nd place, join on points but 4 goals worse off than rivals York.

I won my remaining game against challengers Darlington 4-1….but with York winning 1-0 it meant I was destined to finish league runners up, missing out by 1 goal. Agonising!

I went into the playoffs confident that I deserved to go up and ended up playing my 3rd game vs Darlington in 2 weeks. After extra time I finally came out victorious with a deserved win, 3-2 on aggregate.

The final saw me go to Wembley and face Oxford United. Despite being 2nd best the entire game our lethal finishing on the counter attack saw us win 3-0. We were off to League 2.

However after much deliberation I decided not to renew my contract and left the club on search for my next challenge.

Season summary

Excellent season, made my torrid time at Rotherham seem a lifetime ago. Team scored the most goals in the division and deservedly got promoted. Losing the title by 1 goal was a kick in the teeth though and the fans were delighted with me.

Despite being well below my wage budget limit the club was in financial trouble , this was one of the reasons I decided not to stay,

Final position – 2nd (Promotion via playoffs)

Player of the year – Brett Rodgers (SC)

Banged in the goals all year and was a constant threat to every defence. Had a great partnership with my other striker Riley and these 2 were the main reason for my success. Clearly too good for this level. Won Conference player of the year.

Other key players included:

- Kyle Riley (SC)

narrowly missed out on being fans player of year, but still had a great season, scoring important goals throughout...including goal of the season (may post later if anyone is interested).

- Mark Scullian (DRL)

Northern Irish defender was unhappy for most of the season but his form was solid all year round and he has probably been the best fullback I have had in my career to date.

- Clark Robertson (MR)

My main threat in midfield, great at getting to the by-line and providing the ammunition to my 2 strikers.

Nice one Gio :D. Any clubs interested in you yet? That you want to join.

Il have to see, wouldnt really want to go back to the Conference Premier but if I have a chance of another promotion I would consider it.

Would ideally want to go to League 1 or 2.

Good news :)

I am now manager of Hartlepool United in League 2. Team arent great but infrastructure seems to be there to improve. Looking to stay here for a few years if successful

Don't want to put a downer on things, but in my game Hartlepool are in League 2, but get less support then what i get at Oldham in the BSP, have a smaller ground with some of it standing with pretty much everything else the same.

Anyways, i am sure you will do well !!! :)

Don't get me wrong, Oldham are a good club at that level...probelm was that they were in financial trouble (some how) and I was working with a wage budget which has ended up beign twice as small as what I have got now at Hartlepool...hopefulyl it will prove a sensible decision long term :s

Don't get me wrong, Oldham are a good club at that level...probelm was that they were in financial trouble (some how) and I was working with a wage budget which has ended up beign twice as small as what I have got now at Hartlepool...hopefulyl it will prove a sensible decision long term :s

Ah, wise decision, deffo the best option if you left because of the money troubles !!!

For those following, here's a summary of my career so far:

2010/11 (Unemployed) - N/A

2010/11 (Droylsden) - 13th in Blue Square North.

2011/12 (Droylsden) - 9th in Blue Square North.

2012/13 (Droylsden) - 1st in Blue Square North (Champions)

2013/14 (Droylsden) - 17th in Blue Square Bet Premier and FA Trophy winners.

2014/15 (Droylsden) - 7th in Blue Square Bet Premier.

2015/16 (Grimsby Town) - 1st in Blue Square Bet Premier (Champions)

2016/17 (Grimsby Town) - 10th in npower League 2.

2017/18 (Grimsby Town) - 17th in npower League 2 (upon leaving the club in December 2017)

2018/19 (Rotherham United) - 24th in League 2 (upon leaving the club after 7 games)

2018/19 (Oldham Athletic) - 2nd in Blue Square Bet Premier (Promoted via the playoffs)

2018/19 (Hartlepool United) - In progress

Good luck in the football league (again) - have you considered applying for any International teams at this stage? Am in League 2 with bury and was Cook Island's manager, left after 6 months (and no games) to manage DR Congo.

@GioGio85 = I only applied for positions that came up in my news feed as unless I am restless and after a new team I don't check the job centre. I do have 3 leagues in Europe (England, Wales and Spain) loaded as well as South Africa, Brazil, Mexico and Australia so I have a good choice for international teams.

@SnakeXe = Well the Cook Islands were boring with no matches and no chance of evening winning a qualifying match even if I had one. DR Congo is ranked 64th in the world and really pushed Ghana in the African nations qualifying so I think with a big of my magic (lol) that they can qualify for a major tournament.

2019/20 – Hartlepool United (npower League 2)

I signed for Hartlepool on 17 November 2010 and immediately had to put some form together to ensure we weren’t sucked into a relegation battle.

Having started in 18th position, 2 points away from the relegation places, I was hoping I could hit the ground running.

Season review

The team I inherited was very unbalanced and despite being decent it was a long way from being competitive.

I stuck to my 4-4-2 formation but lacked any good wide players to really be effective. As a result my form was inconsistent until the end of January.

This coincided with the transfer window which gave me the opportunity to bring in some fresh faces.

Central midfielder Abdallah Bah signed on a free after his release from Grimsby. Young Norwegian striker Vidar Torswick also signed alongside loanee John Chisham to freshen up my striking options.

From February I went on a run which saw me lose only 1 of 9 games. This brought me up to a season highest position of 10th and within 6 points of the playoffs. This run of form included a fine 3-2 win against former charges Oldham, having been losing 2-0 at half time (was loving this as you can imagine).

Sadly my form fell apart as some of my key players on loan returned to their parent clubs. I lost my last 3 games in the league and finished the season in 13th.

Season summary

Good season. Took over a team in a tail spin and after a slow start I managed to out some form together. Signed a new contract towards the end of the season and will now look to put together a team worthy of promotion next time round.

Final position – 13th

Player of the year- Nathan Rooney (MC)

Irish midfielder and captain. At 26 he was an influential member of the squad and when he didnt play we seemed to miss his commitment and leadership.

Other key players included:

- Mark Dyson (SC)

Striker on loan from Watford performed extremely well, especially in the last 3 months of the season. His goals were vital in turning my form around and pushing me up the league away from the relegation spots.

- Richard Bryan (DC)

I inherited Richard when I took over and having previously managed him at Droylsden I knew what to expect. Didn’t pull up any trees this year round but was solid if unspectacular.

- Abdallah Bah (DMC)

Hard tackling midfielder who I 1stsigned when at Grimsby when he was 21. He was available on a free so I signed him to add a bit more bite to the centre of my midfield. Seemed to work as my teams form picked up after he signed in January.

Excellent finish after where you started, good luck next season!

Well I was optimistic of a successful season after signing one of the clubs favoruite strikers back on a freebie.

Then my contract expired despite me extending it. Ridiculous.

Sadly I have no choice but ot look for a new club. So annoyed!

Was so frustrating. At least I got another decent job.

What's more annoying is that the striker I signed for Hartlepool is tearing it up.....I put a year of prep into Hartlepool and didnt get to see it come to frution.

Oh well, back to the drawing board with Bristol Rovers!

Nice to see Rooney and Bryan doing well for you. Signed them up in the BSS and they were massive parts of my two promotions, so I have abit of affection for them. Good luck with the rest of your career!

Interestingly, both of these guys are doing well with Hartlepool top of the league....it's my mission this year to topple them!

Was so frustrating. At least I got another decent job.

What's more annoying is that the striker I signed for Hartlepool is tearing it up.....I put a year of prep into Hartlepool and didnt get to see it come to frution.

Oh well, back to the drawing board with Bristol Rovers!

Had the exact same thing happen with Cheonan mate. I know the feeling. Good luck with Bristol Rovers.

Archived