[FM11] It started with a Droylsden dream [ FM 2011 - Journeyman career ]

GioGio85

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, really enjoying this career save.

Im in January at the moment, looking for a striker but cant find one for love nor money (not that I have any!)

Where are you currently in the league ?

Also how easy is it to win the FA Trophy ? do teams bother that much ?

Plus wasn't there a conference league cup at one point in the past, where that disappeared too ?

I think when I turned off last night I was 6th and I am at the back end of January.

I did well in the FA trophy last season and it was unexpected as I beat York and Cheltenham who I think were 1st and 2nd at the time. Maybe they put out unstrength teams or were less motivated than my team. Not really sure.

It cant be that easy to win, as i went out pretty sharpish this time round :p

Im not sure about the conference league cup. I was working on the assumption that the FA trophy was for conference premier, north & south and the Johnsons paint trophy was for leagues 1 and 2....this could be wrong though!

2014/15 - Droylsden (Blue Square Bet Premier)

After a promising first season in the league I was looking for further progress in my 2nd season in the conference premier. I was hoping for a top half finish, with one eye on the playoffs, although the board were still expecting me to struggle at the foot of the table (media prediction 22nd).

I wasn’t too happy about was the boards reluctance to increase the wage bill after a solid 1st season at this level although I understood that as the team with the smallest attendance in the league, there wasn’t much that could be done at this stage. I decided to get on with it and offload a fair few of my players to free up some of my 4.2k wage bill.

The summer was a fairly productive one. I managed to bring in some good old pros in defence to bolster my ranks, 32 year old Irish right back Kevin O'Connor joined me as did 30 year old centre back Stephen Hunt and 31 year old John Ashton. 31 year old Ian Craney helped add competition to my centre midfield area.

My best midfield additions for the summer were 2 young wingers; Jonny Gorman and Craig Clark were great editions for the right and left flank respectively.

Upfront I offloaded Jon McShane to Forest Green Rovers on a free transfer to free up some wages so I could bring in the nippy 21 year old Democratic Republic of Congo international Benik Afobe. I was quite happy with my striking options.

Season review

The season started fairly well and after a few solid performances I soon established myself in the top half of the season.

In October time I went on a great run and was in or around the playoffs moving between 5th and 6th spot.

In January I desperately looked for a midfielder that could help me add some glitz to my midfield, I could find him though! Instead I brought Tom Parratt back to the club after he was released by Siglio Rovers.

As I entered the business end of the season my form started to suffer in so much that I seemed to forget how to win. In this time I threw away countless leads and a run of 7 games with 1 win also brought 5 draws. I had to beat 5th place Mansfield in my 4th from last game of the season to retain a chance of reaching the playoffs...I lost 3-0 away.

After this my form disintegrated and I lost my remaining 3 games. The gap between myself and 5th place got wider and wider and I dropped to 7th place.

Season summary

A very good season, where I achieved a record high league position for the club and made a mockery of the pre season predictions in the process. However I was very disappointed with my end of season form that meant reaching the playoffs become impossible. A case of 'what might have been’.

Final position: 7th

Player of the year: Landry Cuyami (SC)

The talented younster took made some great strides in his development, scoring essential goals throughout the year (especially in the absence of other key personnel).

Other key players:

- Peter Leven (MC)

The midfielder had more of an impact with the team than the previous season but was still an influential player (I have a soft spot for him).

- Jonny Gorman (MR)

The right winger was in the running for Conference Premier of the year. He was a constant threat down the right hand side all season. His experience at N.Ireland under 21 level showed.

- Akpo (SC)

Beat his goal record of the previous year and at one point kept us in the running for the playoffs by being the soul source of all my goals.

- Cyrus Christie (DC)

The defender wasnt quite up to last years form but still an essential player non the less.

Benik Afobe is a brilliant player! I have him in my Team Bury save and he is working wonders for me! Averaging 0.75 goals a game in the Premiership!

Sadly he just didnt hit the heights for me. the other strikers always out performed him despite him being rated by my assistant as being my best striker. Still young enough to come good though.

Great season there, I'm sure you'll make a really strong playoff challenge next year!

Well I have an interesting development to update you with shortly :)

Gio - As you posted on my thread before the game bugged me up. I thought I'd let you know that I managed to start the same way, unemployed followed by Droylsden :)

What save are you doing now?

As promised there has been an interesting development in my save.

After a very promising 5 years I was preparing to enter my 3rd season in the Blue Square Bet Conference Premier. I expected that after my relative success in establishing the club in the league I would have the chance to spend a slightly better wage budget on players so that I could offer a prolonged attack on the playoffs/title.

Instead the board offered me £700 per week less than I had the previous season. Now feeling that the club lacked the same ambition as myself I decided not to extend my contract and left Droylsden with my Blue Square Conference North title,my FA Trophy winners medal and my fond memories of my 1st management job.

I went on holiday and applied for all jobs going. I was offered the Tiverton job in the Blue Square Bet South but I turned it down as I wanted to at least manage in the Conference Premier again.

I eventually accepted my 2nd job in management on 29 October 2015, as manager of Grimsby Town in the Blue Square Bet Premier. So it begins...

First of all well done on a successful season you done very well with Droylsden. Congratulations on the new job appointment, Grimsby will be a big team for that league, so in my eyes that good move for your career, i just hope Droylsden don't do any better because i know how annoying it is when your pushed to leave when the wage budget is so poor and the board seem happy to stay in that divison, but still want you to achieve the impossible.

Grimsby certainly have a lot better infrastructure (yay, I have a youth team) and more ambition, as demonstrated by the 18k per week wage budget (massive in comparison to that I was working with at Droylsden). Hopefully I it will prove to be a sensible career move, although Droylsden are performing excellently at the moment!

2015/16 - Grimsby (Blue Square Bet Premier)

Having taken the reigns at Blundell Park I found one of the favourites for the league title (media expectation of 6th) struggling in 20th position after 16 league games.

Having looked at the previous fixture the club had played in, it seemed that the club had struggled to grind out results, with only 3 league wins.

The squad was full of good players, who at this level should have been performing a lot better than they had been.

I had a strong goalkeeper in Jamie Stephens and 2 strong centre backs in Scott Garner and captain Rob Atkinson. The club was already loaning a pacey creative central midfielder from Millwall named Ben Swann who was well placed to do the “Peter Leven” role that was successfully performed at Droylsden.

Up front the club owned a few decent strikers too in John Marsden and promising youngster, inside foward Andy Parris.

The club also had sufficient strength in depth in all other positions. However I was keen to make my own stamp on the club and bring in some new faces. In keeping with my dealings at Droylsden, my only options to freshen up the squad laid in the loan market and free transfers.

I signed experienced striker Cody McDonald on a free to provide experienced competition up front. Promising youngster Lee Colback also signed on loan from Sheffield Wednesday to add more goals.

Pacey right back Adam Hutchinson signed on a 3 month loan from MK Dons to deal with my weakest position at right back...at least until January anyways.

Season review

I started with 2 away games and suspected that I would be relying on my home games to turn the teams form around. How wrong was I. I won these 2 away games and this gave me the impetus to go in a magnificent run, losing 1 in 14 games, winning all the others. I even found time in this run to go out of the FA Cup at home to Premiership Wigan, with a spirited 3-2 defeat.

Needless to say this great form saw me rise up the table, out of trouble and into the playoffs. A 5-1 away victory against leaders Stockport County had given me the confidence that I could still hunt down the league leaders. I freshened up the squad between January and March with some quality loan signings from league 1 – 2 clubs just in case I needed reinforcements for the playoffs etc.

For the majority of the latter part of the season I was about 6 points behind Stockport. It seemed every time Stockport slipped up so did I. I was beginning to bemoan my luck and started thinking I was destined from 2nd spot and the playoffs.

This soon changed with 8 games to go. A fantastic performance saw me change a 2-1 loss into a 3-2 win against former charges Droyslden. A former favourite of mine (and me of his J), Danny East scored an 85th minute own goal to hand me victory.

I won all but 2 of my remaining games, one of these a draw against Stockport. After this victory Stockport didn’t win for 4 games (including a last minute 2 -1 loss vs Droyslden) and I took advantage, establishing a 4 point margin at the top.

I won the league with 1 league game to go. Special metions go to James Mort, Mark Whitehouse, Dale Charlton and Portuguese striker David who had all joined on loan and all played massive parts in so much that they won me vital points singlehandedly in their limited appearances when I had to rely on them in the absence of my regular first teamers.

Season summary

What a season. Probably my best achievement to date, taking a team in 20th after 16 games to the championship.

The only disappointment was that I went out of the FA Trophy against Blue Square Bet South Havant and Waterlooville in the 4th round.

Final position - 1st (champions)

Play of the season – John Marsden (SC)

My 24 year old striker got me goals all year round and contributed into us setting a new record for goals scored in a season (92).

Other key players:

- Ben Swann (MC)

Midfield playmaker scored 10 goals and got 11 assists. A vital player who really started putting in performances once I joined the club.

- Scott Garner (DC)

Central defender was a model of consistency.

- Rob Atkinson (DC)

Same as Garner. A rock at the back.

- Dale Charlton (SC)

Only played 3 games but what a 3 games it was. 4 goals in 3 games from the man on loan from Chesterfield. Would love to get him next season.

Well done mate. Nice change but I still think you should have stuck at Droylsden as you obviously aren't better than me ;). I lost over a grand from my wage budget so count yourself lucky. Iirc correctly Blundell Park is right next to a McDonalds. I went to Cleethorpes about 7 years ago :D. Once again mate well done.

I would have been happy to have got the playoffs when I took over, so to actually win the league has shocked me. I have flown through this season as I just didnt want to turn off,my form was just that good - was a nice change :)

Definatly justified my decision toleave Droylsden. Incidently they finished 12th which was good but not quite what I wanted to be doing

Just need to vent on a Saturday morning:

- Pre-season - 5 games, 5 losses.

- 1st game in league 2 away at Rochadale. Lost 5 - 1.

- 1st game in the League Cup away at Derby County. Lost 7 - 0.

Finally, something good happened in my 1st home game vs Wrexham with a 2-1 loss.

This season is going to be difficult!

It really has been awful. I've been away all weekend so have had no time to load up and right some wrongs.

Think I was paying out 18.5k per week last season....around 20k per week this year. My team is good enough to stay up I think, can't see another promotion though. Slow and steady progress is what I like to see.

May need to exploit grimsbys rep and loan a few more future stars.

2016/ 17 – Grimsby (npower League 2)

After a season which exceeded all of my early expectations, I was anxious to ensure that I didn’t get complacent this time round.

The board were happy for me to learn from my experiences in the new division and although the lack of expectation was good in some ways, I still held hopes that with a big bit of fortune I could maybe hit the playoffs.

I considered my summer transfer dealings as successful:

4 season long loans saw Les Colbeck (SC), David (SC), Luke Burton (MRC) and Stephen Hannah (AML) join. I had the privilege of having David and Colbeck on loan last season and they performed very well. All 4 players were very promising youngsters.

I also signed last season’s loanee Simon Miller (MRC) permanently on a 2 year deal after his release from Newcastle. A very good player with lots of talent at this level (and a whopping £2,000 p/w wage to match).

Former Drolsyden boy, central midfielder Rhys McCabe, joined me after his release from the Bloods. I was happy to have a playmaker in the squad.

To bolster my centre back positions I signed Belgium utility man Enrico Ellegriti.

A very busy summer as I looked to adjust at this new level.

Season review

Pre-season saw me lose all 4 games that I played and my competitive games did not start much better. I lost my first League 2 game 4-1 and followed this up with a 7-0 away defeat to Derby in the League Cup. What a return to league football!

Fortunately as the new players got used to each other, things got a bit better. I won my first game of the season against Wrexham but my form remained inconsistent until October when I finally managed to put a run of 4 straight league wins together.

At this point I suffered an injury to my main striker John Marsden, which took him out of action for 5 months, To cover the loss of last years player of the year I brought in another former Droylsden boy in striker Landry Cuyami. He did OK although he only grabbed 2 goals in his 2 months with the club.

Around this point I was offered the Tranmere job, which I decided to turn down.

I then lost the next 2 games before going on another good run of form, winning 7 of my next 9 games. I was now floating in and around the playoff spots and my hopes of a playoff spot were boosted. My confidence was mislaid as I then went on to lose my next 3 league games against high flying Wrexham, Oldham and Crewe.

With John Marsden still injured I brought in one of my favourite players to see me through the remainder of the season, another former loanee from last season, striker Dale Charlton.

The rest of my season saw me return to my inconsistent ways. Winning 2, losing 2, winning 1, losing 2. It was very frustrating.

Surprisingly my team finished on a great spot of form, winning our last 3 games. This left us 6 points outside the playoff spots. Another case of what might have been.

Season overview

A very good 1st season in League 2. After my appalling start I thought I would struggle all year but things soon picked up. Next year I am aiming for promotion. If I miss this target I will leave Grimsby for pasture new.

Final position: 10th

Player of the year: - Scott Garner (DC)

Fans choice for the award. Despite our dodgy defence this year, Garner was pretty steady throughout.

Other key players include

-Les Colbeck (SC)

My choice for player of the year. Top scorer with 20 goals and 10 assists. Great loan signing.

- Simon Miller (MRC)

Very good season after starting slowly.7 goals and 13 assists, but if his fitness had been better he could have been more instrumental. More to come from him I hope.

- Dale Charlton (SC)

I love this guy. Signed him twice on short term loans and has always delivered. This time he scored 8 goals in 14 games.

-Stephen Hannah (AML)

Started very slowly and the media for the 1st 2 months kept highlighting how awful he had been playing. With a bit of a tinkering of the tactics I seemed to be able to get the best out of him. Hannah ended up being instrumental in my change in form and he ended the year with 17 assists and 8 goals.

Cheers boys!

Had a very productive summer. Amongst others I have managed to sign Les Colbeck and Dale Charlton on permanant deals. Cracking signings.

The signing of Dale Charlton can also be noted as a monumental moment for another reason...it is the 1st time in this save that I have paid a transfer fee - a massive 8k :)

2017 – Grimsby (npower League 2)

You don’t know how right you were Nobby!

Season overview

After a good season last year round and a very promising summer, where I managed to sign some very good players, I was confident that I could achieve promotion with Grimsby,

In came 3 strikers who I had had on loan before: Les Colbeck, David and Dale Charlton all joined on permanent deals. As did my 2 French imports goalkeeper Titouan Billaud and midfield general Abdallah Bah. These signings, as well as a few others, made me confidence for the season ahead.

The season started well, with me winning 3 of my first 4 games. Then suddenly the team imploded.

Just as I expected us to push on we capitulated, failing to win games that we should have easily won.

The Goalkeeper made gaffs, Defenders couldn’t defend, Strikers couldn’t score and my midfielders simply were nowhere to be seen. The expectation really seemed to be getting to my team, as demonstrated when my home form, so strong over the last 2 seasons, being bitty and inconsistent.

As I spluttered into December in mid-table I noticed that the fixture list had been kind to us with 3 home games. A chance to turn things around and make a push for the playoffs, I thought.

Of course it didn’t work out that way. My team put in 2 abject performances and lost both games, including a 4-0 home defeat to a Wrexham team that was down to 10 men since minute 2. I went bananas (that’s as polite as I will put it).

The club was now sitting in a comfortable but very disappointing 17th position. Despite no pressure from the board room I had hit a wall. I resigned and left my post as Grimsby manager.

Season summary

Despite my early successes with Grimsby I had never really bonded with the club as I had in my time with Droylsden. Having decided that I would leave the club at the end of the year if we didn’t hit the ground running, I felt that my heart wasn’t really in it. Unsettled, I left with good memories but an overwhelming feeling that my team had buckled under the pressure.

Final position: 17th (as of 27 December 2017)

Player of the season: N/A

Key players:

- David (SC)

The only player of note to have performed. A good signing but sadly too injury prone to rescue my season.

Im pleased to announce after turning down offers to manage Macclesfield and Thurrock, I finally have a new job.

You may be interested to know that Grimsby finished 5th but lost in the playoffs. I knew I had built a decent team, just a shame I couldnt get them to play like that last year.

Archived