Franchise League (kinda like the IPL)

sporadicsmiles

#####WORLD FRANCISE LEAGUE########

Ok, so I created something similar to this in fm09, but never releases if because I was never really happy with it being over two tiers, but now I have freedom to create using the editor, I have had another go at this. Basically, think IPL (the cricket thing, for those ignorant of such things), but within the constaints of what the editor and game can do.

The lowdown:

- 32 teams in a two conference premier league. Teams have been chosen to be cities if big footballing nations, or big cities in general.

- Initial 'draft' (which i did myself) to assign 22 players to each team. There are 2 GK, 4 DR/L, 4DC, 4 MRL/AMRL, 4 DM/M/AMC, 4 ST. These were picked based on current ability, and assigned in alphabetical order, which alternated for each pick, to try to ensure fairness. (e.g. you could pick last for GK but first for ST, or something).

- Managers also added based on rep to the teams, I plan also to add some key staff, and make a board member (possibly a famous person from each country) to be chairman.

- Each team has a rep of 10000 (they want to keep the best players after all), and have a ficticious stadium of 80000 (which I have tried to name after something in their home city).

- The teams are randomly assigned to one of the 16 team conferences at the start, play a double round robin for the league. Then the top 4 from each division play in the championship playoff section, winner is chamion.

- A cup which is similar to champions league (8 groups of 4, play each other twice, however only top team to knockout) is the main cup competition.

- I will also try to add the top officials in the world also, and a large national stadium for the nation i base this in.

I have run a long test up til 2021 on this, and it works so far. I still have some work to do on this, such as adding some key staff, tweaking the finances, adding officials etc. to make this the complete package, but I have a rare weekend to myself this weekend, so I hopefully anticipate this being ready for release on Sunday sometime. Obviously this is not a game that is readily playable alongside other leagues, but is just for a bit of fun, or a challenge.

A note on the naming of the teams: I have tried to use the name of the city in the language of the country it is from: e.g. lisbon -> lisboa. There are some languages I don't know, and possibly some innaccuracies in the naming, so if you do spot one, then let me know. The second part of the team name I have again tried to make in the national language and be related to the country, e.g. London Lions. However, i used an online translator for these words, so I don't trust them at all. If you see a mistake in those, then again tell me, of course once it has been released. Screenshots to follow.

VERSION 2 CHANGES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- NEW teams: Dubbay (replaces Tehran), Cuidad de Mexico (replaces Jeruslaem), Toronto (replaces Istanbul).

- NEW league format: Two groups of 16 drawn at random. Top two progress to a two legged semi final. The winners progress to the grand final. Competition history stores the winner of the final

- NEW cup format: Straight two-legged knock out from the start. Final is single-legged.

- NEW rivalries: Cities (or countries) with a real life rivalry will no have an ingame one too!

- Tested until 2040. It was about 15 years until a team managed to win the tournament twice. Endless playability.

- Download version 2 here

DOWNLOAD

~~~~~~~~~~

Version 1.0 DOWNLOAD

- Moved to U.A.E (as someone said, nice to have in a nation who might fund this).

- Asian continental cups disabled so teams do not entire it.

- Known issue with the squad rules - supposed to be 25 player squad limit, being ignored, unknown why.

- Changed the reps of the big clubs, e.g. barcelona, man utd etc, to lower values so they cannot compete with the franchise.

~~~~~~~~~~

Version 1.1 DOWNLOAD

- Changed N'ai Dilhi to Edinburgh Thistle (so I can seem less anglocentric =P).

- Updated so the transfer updates in 10.3 are annulled (e.g. robinho's loan to santos removed).

- Referees finally added to the league, so worlds best referees will be in charge of games (had to change them all to U.A.E).

~~~~~~~~~~

Version 2 DOWNLOAD

- NEW teams: Dubbay (replaces Tehran), Cuidad de Mexico (replaces Jeruslaem), Toronto (replaces Istanbul).

- NEW league format: Two groups of 16 drawn at random. Top two progress to a two legged semi final. The winners progress to the grand final. Competition history stores the winner of the final

- NEW cup format: Straight two-legged knock out from the start. Final is single-legged.

- NEW rivalries: Cities (or countries) with a real life rivalry will no have an ingame one too!

- Tested until 2040. It was about 15 years until a team managed to win the tournament twice. Endless playability.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, Singapore don't have a team. I choose the 16 largest capitals in the world (more or less, to ensure a good spread of nations) and the capitals of the 16 top ranked football teams. I would have liked to include more, but it becomes impractical to involve many more franchises.

I will write a summary of the teams some point later today.

Team Guide:

Name: Abuja Gazelles

Stadium: Eagle Square, Abuja.

Manager: Alex Ferguson

Key Player: Kaka

Name: Al-Jaza'ir El-Bahdja (Algiers the White, after a nickname for the city)

Stadium: Stade de Bab el Oeud, Algiers

Manager: Jose Mourinho

Key Player: Steven Gerrard

Name: Al-Qahira Pharoahs

Stadium: Al-Azhar Park, Cairo

Manager: Fabio Capello

Key Player: Gianluigi Buffon

Name: Amsterdam Windmolen (Amsterdam Windmills)

Stadium: Mokum, Amsterdam

Manager: Marcello Lippi

Key Player: John Terry

Name: Ar-Riyad Pheonix

Stadium: King Fayd Stadium, Riyadh

Manager: Rafa Benitez

Key Player: Petr Cech

Name: Athena Delfinia (Athens Dolphins)

Stadium: Omonoia Tetragono, Athens

Manager: Arsene Wenger

Key Player: Miroslav Klose

Name: Beijing Long (Beijing Dragons)

Stadium: Zizhu Yuan, Beijing

Manager: Andre Villas Boas

Key Player: Danielle de Rossi

Name: Berlin Blitzen (Berlin Lightening)

Stadium: Potsdammer Platz Stadion, Berlin

Manager: Carlo Anchelotti

Key Player: Javier Mascherano

Name: Brasilia Sambas

Stadium: Palacio de Alvorada, Brasilia

Manager: Josep Guadiola

Key Player: Amauri

Name: Buenos Aires Pumas

Stadium: Parque Tres de Febrero, Buenos Aires

Manager: Luis Felipe Scolari

Key Player: Cesc Fabregas

Name: Canberra Raiders

Stadium: Raiders Stadium, Canberra

Manager: Wanderley Luxemburgo

Key Player: Sergio Aguero

Name: Istanbul Kurt (Instanbul Wolves)

Stadium: Fatih Sultan Mehmet Stadyum, Istanbul

Manager: Muricy Ramalho

Key Player: Nicolas Anelka

Name: Jakarta Komodos

Stadium: Lapangan Merdeka, Jakarta

Manager: Thomas Schaaf

Key Player: Alberto Gilardino

Name: Jerusalem Pilgrims

Stadium: Safra Square, Jerusalem

Manager: Ottmar Hitzfeld

Key Player: Xabi Alonso

Name: Johannesburg Golden Boys

Stadium: Delta Park, Johannesburg

Manager: Manuel Pellegrini

Key Player: Andrey Arshavin

Name: Lisboa Exploradores (Lisbon Explorers)

Stadium: Estadio Aveninda Fontes Pereira de Melo, Lisbon

Manager: Javier Aguirre

Key Player: Diego

Name: London Lions

Stadium: City of London Stadium, London

Manager: Guus Hiddink

Key Player: Carlos Tevez

Name: Madrid Matadores

Stadium: Plaza de Torero, Madrid

Manager: Roberto Mancini

Key Player: Pato

Name: Moskva Medvedi (Moscow Bears)

Stadium: Izmaylovsky Park, Moscow

Manager: Abel Braga

Key Player: Michael Carrick

Name: Na'i Dilli Hathi (New Delhi Elephants)

Stadium: Rajpath, New Delhi

Manager: Martin O'Neill

Key Player: Edin Dzeko

Name: Paris Parisiennes

Stadium: Stade de Palais de Luvre, Paris

Manager: Miguel Angel Lotina

Key Player: David Silva

Name: Praha Bohemians

Stadium: Andel, Prague

Manager: Felix Magath

Key Player: Thiery Henry

Name: Roma Legione (Rome Legionaires)

Stadium: Stadio della Repubblica, Rome

Manager: Otto Rehhagel

Key Player: Dimitar Berbatov

Name: Santiago Santos (Santiago Saints

Stadium: Estadio de Plaza de Armas, Santiago

Manager: David Moyes

Key Player: Dejan Stankovic

Name: Seoul Holang-i (Seoul Tigers)

Stadium: Namsan Park, Seoul

Manager: Luciano Spalletti

Key Player: Ronaldinho

Name: Stockholm Skogshare (Stockholm Mountain Hares)

Stadium: Svenska Arena, Stockholm

Manager: Cesare Prandelli

Key Player: Didier Drogba

Name: Tehran Stars

Stadium: Valiasr Street, Tehran

Manager: Frank Rijkaard

Key Player: Diego Forlan

Name: Tokyo Kiji (Tokyo Pheasants)

Stadium: Shinjuki Gyoen Sutajiamu, Tokyo

Manager: Quique Flores

Key Player: Luka Modric

Name: Washington Redskins

Stadium: FedEx Field, Washington

Manager: Bernd Schuster

Key Player: Wayne Rooney

Name: Wellington Kiwis

Stadium: Te Papa, Wellington

Manager: Juande Ramos

Key Player: Franck Ribery

Name: Yaounde All Stars

Stadium: Stade de Mfoundi, Yaounde

Manager: Walter Smith

Key Player: Christiano Ronaldo

Name: Zagreb Dalmatineri (Zagreb Dalmations)

Stadium: Stadion Ban Jelacic, Zagreb

Manager: Louis Van Gaal

Key Player: Fernando Torres

A DISCLAIMER FOR THE NAMES:

I am not a native speaker of these languages, so it is very possible I have translated some of these very badly. If I have let me know the correct spelling and I will change it. Also, as you can see, I took a great deal of inspiriation from national animals of countries, which is what these animals on the whole are.

Never knew he had gone there. Stats in FM are amazing. He was the fella with the whole beanie hat saga when Jose was banned. Good lad.

This edit looks great by the way. Is it possible to know what the second names are in Englaish alongside the names in theis thread?

I have put it in Liechtenstein (sp?), its my pet nation for projects atm, because its a basically empty european nation. However, putting it in UAE is a good idea, and wouldnt be too hard to implement either, I will consider doing just that.

And yes, it would be good to have a translation, I forgot that, I will edit my post.

For Sweden, it think it should be Stockholms Skogsharar and Svenska Arenan. I lived in Sweden for just two years, so please correct me if i'm wrong. As for the japanese names, i'm not very good at Romaji, but I think it's right.

• SI Staff

I thought about doing something like this but it make it require domestic players, at least a good core. Yes, that would give certain nations an advantage, but it more would also give some challenge to having the San Marinese entry!

For Sweden, it think it should be Stockholms Skogsharar and Svenska Arenan. I lived in Sweden for just two years, so please correct me if i'm wrong. As for the japanese names, i'm not very good at Romaji, but I think it's right.

Noted, and changed.

I plan to run a test overnight, and if this has no problems, then i will release this tomorow morning.

No, Singapore don't have a team. I choose the 16 largest capitals in the world (more or less, to ensure a good spread of nations) and the capitals of the 16 top ranked football teams. I would have liked to include more, but it becomes impractical to involve many more franchises.

I will write a summary of the teams some point later today.

Ahh well, gutted but its kinda expected it actually, kutgw!!

This is looking interesting.

If i make one for fm11, or an update oe something if this prooves popular, I will let people decide on the names of the teams :D. I'll even add the people whose teams I choose as chairmen!

An update, there were a few bugs with the overnight run, so i have a tiny bit of editing to do, then I will do a short test. The bugs weren't major, just a few mistakes I made. So expect this sometime this afternoon.

Download link in the opening post.

The game has a problem with a 25 player squad rule - it ignore it and I have no idea why. This may lead to teams hoarding players, but it doesn't affect the game too much, and will hopefully be fixed in future versions. Any ideas why it is doing this, please tell me!

DOWNLOAD

~~~~~~~~~~

- Moved to U.A.E (as someone said, nice to have in a nation who might fund this).

- Asian continental cups disabled so teams do not entire it.

- Known issue with the squad rules - supposed to be 25 player squad limit, being ignored, unknown why.

That's me that is!

Just downloading now. Will be in later with feedback etc.

I'm going through pre-season at the moment and it seems as though players see the 'traditional' superpowers, such as Barcelona, ManU, Chelsea and Real Madrid, are seen a better prospects than Franchise teams.

is this due to league ranking? Team ranking? Maybe the non-franchise teams need to be reduced somewhat?

Hmm, this does seem to be the case. At least increasing it makes more people not be filtered out. Also, I guess the fact that the big teams have almost no players will mean they can offer huge wages, squad status as key player, etc. Editing the reps of the major clubs down seems to be the best way to combat this, I will get on it.

This made a big difference, new download available from here (n.b. this is now the default link in the opening post).

Team Guide:

Name: Canberra Raiders

Stadium: Raiders Stadium, Canberra

Manager: Wanderley Luxemburgo

Key Player: Sergio Aguero

I know you've said you used the capitals, but ANY Australian franchise competing on a world stage would be based out of Sydney or Melbourne, Brisbane a distant third. Canberra would be well down the list.

Also Capital of Turkey is Ankara

Congrats on using the Rugby League side though :D you must be an Aussie to have used that.

Great job on this... FM Portugal did a similar thing for FM09 so I was wondering if anyone would do it for FM10.

I was thinking using Canberra was a good idea as it would not mess with the A-League... but I hate the name BECAUSE it is the name of a rugby league team. Given the regional bias of many Australians, such a team would need to have a more national name... my vote would be Canberra Australis or Southern Cross Canberra... then again, I'd also like to see the teams in this league have at least 7 players from their home nation.

Great work though!

I know you've said you used the capitals, but ANY Australian franchise competing on a world stage would be based out of Sydney or Melbourne, Brisbane a distant third. Canberra would be well down the list.

Also Capital of Turkey is Ankara

Congrats on using the Rugby League side though :D you must be an Aussie to have used that.

Possibly right there with the Aus thing. I settled on capitals so I could have an unbiased choice, but now it is made I can make it more realistic :D. Not an Aussie tho, just a plain old Brit who happens to like RL, and thought it'd be a nice touch to say 'yeah they twinned with the RL side for promotional purposes' or something.

Also, I thought that Istanbul and Ankara were the same place? If I am wrong I can change this, my knowledge of some countries is sadly poor

Great job on this... FM Portugal did a similar thing for FM09 so I was wondering if anyone would do it for FM10.

I was thinking using Canberra was a good idea as it would not mess with the A-League... but I hate the name BECAUSE it is the name of a rugby league team. Given the regional bias of many Australians, such a team would need to have a more national name... my vote would be Canberra Australis or Southern Cross Canberra... then again, I'd also like to see the teams in this league have at least 7 players from their home nation.

Great work though!

Good point, althought it could drive you to destroy them when you meet in matches =P. The problem with having at least 7 playes from home nations is that it would either mean every club would have to be in a major footballing nation - which I didn't want, because that would mean many teams in Europe - or some nations would be handicapped, i.e. Jakarta, I can't even think of any Indonesian players. The clubs all have youth acadamies that produce good regens, so they do have homegrown talent.

Just thought you might like to know that London Lions are a existing club it seems, I just found out from bladesmans massive eng lower league update.

Havent downloaded this yet but am gonna give this a go soon, no Singapore for me but Jakarta is close enough I guess!! :) cheers sporadicsmiles!

Just thought you might like to know that London Lions are a existing club it seems, I just found out from bladesmans massive eng lower league update.

Havent downloaded this yet but am gonna give this a go soon, no Singapore for me but Jakarta is close enough I guess!! :) cheers sporadicsmiles!

Thats the FA supporting grass roots football for you =P.

Well, my ignorance knows no bounds it seems! I just looked on the world map I have in my room, only what a few hundred miles in it :p. I actually have no idea why I thought that...

Consider it the Ankara Kurt for the new update, and thank you very much!

Well could have been worse, you could have called it Constantinople :D anyway, whats a few hundred miles between friends LOL

• 3 weeks later...

The download link in the opening post now works, for all those who wish to download.

I can change one of the teams to Edinburgh if you would like, I'm sure noone is particularly attached to New Dehli, or Jakarta, or some of the less obvious places. Edinburgh Thistles (to keep in line with good old obvious names). Can add them for the next update, when I will hopefully be able to make the top referees be added, plus anything else I think of.

Archived