Franchise League (kinda like the IPL)

sporadicsmiles

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I will have a look at what team names should be at some point when i am testing a league today. See what I can do.

The teams should stay rich enough to buy whoever they want, they all have 80000 seater stadia they fill each game, plus season tickets, tv money etc. So they usually just spend large amounts on players. It is something I need to check in my next long test.

Good job Sporadicsmiles, sorry if this is a tad late.

Nice to see Jakarta up there in your initial team line up, although I don't know if you still keep it.

However, Komodo is also a name of the island where the fat lizards exclusively live, about 1000 miles from Jakarta. And the animal is very much attached to its local province's identity, and not Jakarta.

If you want to stick with animal, and I can't think of any specific animal when I think of city like Jakarta, Garuda (a mythical eagle) will be an obvious choice, it is probably the only animal every Indonesian, including Jakarta citizens, can easily identify him/herself with. And mind you, it doesn't even exist:-) So maybe Jakarta Garuda will be fine.

Cheers.

Thanks, my ideas from the names came from wikipedia mentioning national animals and the like, so I didn't expect 100% clarity. I would like to have this as realistic name-wise as possible, so consider that changed.

My progress on other versions:

The Dutch Jupiler league style one seems to be difficult to do. I have a test league which has two stages, the winner playing the final at the moment, but there seems to be no way to stop a team from winning both stages playing itself in the final (as happened the first time, Zagreb beat Zagreb in the final. The away Zagreb won :D). I will continue to mess around with this,I might find a way of doing this in a better way.

Thanks, my ideas from the names came from wikipedia mentioning national animals and the like, so I didn't expect 100% clarity. I would like to have this as realistic name-wise as possible, so consider that changed.

My progress on other versions:

The Dutch Jupiler league style one seems to be difficult to do. I have a test league which has two stages, the winner playing the final at the moment, but there seems to be no way to stop a team from winning both stages playing itself in the final (as happened the first time, Zagreb beat Zagreb in the final. The away Zagreb won :D). I will continue to mess around with this,I might find a way of doing this in a better way.

Nice / fun to read that my suggestions cause the game to act very very very weird. :D

Good luck trying :)

Well, when I saw it was going to happen I figured it would cause the game to crash tbh! It was easily the most bizarre thing I have seen on this game. I don't see a way around this at the moment tho, so it looks like stages are out of the question.

I have produced an improved version of the current set up. The teams are assigned into the conferences randomly, the top 2 qualify to the knockout stage (easily extended to be top 8, but its easier on the schecule this way).

If it won't work in the Dutch way, that is a shame, but we don't want the game to crash of course.

Anyways, I am curious to see how this project comes to an end.

If you want help with other suggestions, just ask.

letissierandhenryaregreat - You do know you can edit the file yourself to add the teams you want? Stop giving sporadicsmiles such a hard time about what you want and what you think is right. He's done a lot of work and put a lot of effort into this.

IMO I think that it should be BIG cities and countires that have teams in thisa as they are the one that would be more likely to be given (or buy) franchises. It would be ridiculous to have Andorroan teams over a Czech one or a Maldivan side. There are just not big footballing nations.

letissierandhenryaregreat - You do know you can edit the file yourself to add the teams you want? Stop giving sporadicsmiles such a hard time about what you want and what you think is right. He's done a lot of work and put a lot of effort into this.

IMO I think that it should be BIG cities and countires that have teams in thisa as they are the one that would be more likely to be given (or buy) franchises. It would be ridiculous to have Andorroan teams over a Czech one or a Maldivan side. There are just not big footballing nations.

Sorry if I hurt anyone and yes I will edit the file if when/if I download it.

I chose small nations as it would make the game competitive in international fixtures with the weak nations producing world class newgens.

Maybe you could try a league with split and then a 3 round (championship playoffs) with 8 teams in it to decide the winner:

1st round:1 conference league of 32 turns into 16.

2nd round:Top 8 qualify for the Championship Playoffs to decide the winner.

That should work for your league system if I understood the editor (league with split) properly.

That could work, I can try it. At the moment I am quite happy with the new way I have set up the old system. If there was a way I could have them in conferences like this but have them play all teams from both conferences.

Once i have run a long test on this (overnight tonight i hope) and added a few rivalries, and other tweaks, this could be ready for release =D.

An update on v2 progress:

I have two ideas going current. The first has basically a very similar structure to what we have no, except it has randomised teams in each conference, and two legged playoffs. The cup is also now a straight 32 team two legged knockout. This version has been tested up to 2020 successfully (interestingly no team retained the title in that time, and it took a long time for team to appear in the finals more than once).

The second basically tries to include II teams for each of the teams, with an additional 22 players per team to play in this level. So far I have am trouble making this work properly, getting an 'array access out of bounds' message when I run both leagues. I'm not sure what this is from, but i suspect I am adding the leagues incorrectly somehow. This may not work well in any case if teams do not give enough players to their II teams, but I thought i would try it out.

Well, for the original version not using the advanced editor, i did the follwoing:

- Created all the teams I wanted by ng a adding new teams and filling out the relative details in the clubs panel.

- Used a random 'draft' (basically i filtered the players with best current ability and added them into the teams in a semi-random way) to add players to teams. The way I did this was to filter the players by position, and current ability, and add the current best players.

- Decide on the league system you wish to employ. This is probably as important as adding the league itself, as deciding what you want to do beforehand means you know exactly what you want to achieve. For example I decided on 32 teams because 16 per division is a nice number for fixtures in a league, and 32 is a nice number for a cup with all teams added at the start.

- Add the leagues via the 'national rules' panel. The natio isnt that important in this edit, so long as it is not one already used. I chose U.A.E as they may actually finance something like this.

Feel free to message if you have any more detailed questions. I plan to release this tomorow, all being well.

VERSION 2 RELEASED.

- NEW teams: Dubbay (replaces Tehran), Cuidad de Mexico (replaces Jeruslaem), Toronto (replaces Istanbul).

- NEW league format: Two groups of 16 drawn at random. Top two progress to a two legged semi final. The winners progress to the grand final. Competition history stores the winner of the final

- NEW cup format: Straight two-legged knock out from the start. Final is single-legged.

- NEW rivalries: Cities (or countries) with a real life rivalry will no have an ingame one too!

- Tested until 2040. It was about 15 years until a team managed to win the tournament twice. Endless playability.

link is in the first post.

Well, for the original version not using the advanced editor, i did the follwoing:

- Created all the teams I wanted by ng a adding new teams and filling out the relative details in the clubs panel.

- Used a random 'draft' (basically i filtered the players with best current ability and added them into the teams in a semi-random way) to add players to teams. The way I did this was to filter the players by position, and current ability, and add the current best players.

- Decide on the league system you wish to employ. This is probably as important as adding the league itself, as deciding what you want to do beforehand means you know exactly what you want to achieve. For example I decided on 32 teams because 16 per division is a nice number for fixtures in a league, and 32 is a nice number for a cup with all teams added at the start.

- Add the leagues via the 'national rules' panel. The natio isnt that important in this edit, so long as it is not one already used. I chose U.A.E as they may actually finance something like this.

Feel free to message if you have any more detailed questions. I plan to release this tomorow, all being well.

Thanks, has inspired me to have a bash at this myself, will message you if I have problems =)

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Athena Delfinia (Athens Dolphins)

Stadium: Omonoia Tetragono, Athens

Manager: Arsene Wenger

Key Player: Miroslav Klose

You should change the stadium name to Plateia Omonoias, Athens as tetragono in greek means the geometric square and not the town square.

• 2 months later...

Also having a lot of trouble downloading this at the moment! Did play version 1 ages ago and really liked it. Looking forward to playing version 2! Could you upload it on something like Rapidshare maybe as Filefront seems to be having a complete nightmare at the moment. Have you thought about a network game? This database would really suit that I reckon.

Good work

Thanks

Sorry guys I completely forgot about this yesterday - long train journeys home killed my brain. I will do this when I get in from work tonight.

I havent thought about a network game because I usually play on a comp that isnt connected to the net as my laptop is a lot slower. However you are right it would be a very good game to play in a network game.

Download link is here. The one in the first post is also updated.

Enjoy and let me know any ideas or suggestions for the next version, which will likely be for fm11.

just to let you know I've had a bit of a game breaking issue. I signed a few players and gave them all squad numbers. No problem. Then come Aug 31st I have to register my 25. So I do that and trim off the dross. Hit confirm and continue, only to find 2 of my best signings are counted as not registered even though they clearly were. Anyone else had a problem like this. I went back via the rolling saves and tried again but no matter what I did these 2 were classed as 'unr' and unavailable.

I havent come across this, but it has been a while since I actually played with this database. What players and team was it? And do any of the other teams have a similar problem?

I'm Zagreb, I signed Oscar Ustari from getafe and M'Bengue from Toulouse. I signed 4 other players as well, all those were registered fine. Don't know about the other teams and not on FM PC right now but will check when I get home tonight or tomorrow.

I will check it out and see what happens.

EDIT:

I just tried a game where I holidayed up to 31st and tried to register players and i had no difficulties, with players signef or already at the team.

Have the players you mentioned played for too many teams in a year to be registered perhaps?

Archived