dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsley:

7points behind Leigh RMI who don't actually conceed goals. They conceded 12 after 24 games and were flying away with it.

I'll take the credit for RMI's excellent season as i'm their club researcher. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one, kept that one quiet didn't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i mentioned it briefly in last seasons challenge thread. I been doing it since FM05 and still going. They became my favorite non-league side when they took Fulham to a replay in the FA Cup 1n 1999 i think it was.

I started going to most of their home games and thought i'd apply for their club researcher vacancy, the rest is history as they say. icon_cool.gif

*correct icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif

Guess what?

I went to almost every home game of theirs between '97 and '01 including the Fulham game you speak of, both the replay at home and the original tie at Craven Cottage. Went to a few away games too, including one up in Wales. Was much more fun than supporting a big team imo.

I lived about 10 minutes from their ground too. I remember the season they won the Unibond First Division, Steve Jones now of Burnley banging them in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was playing as Barnet in CM4(ish) (I think that's when they were introduced), that got me into supporting Barnet. After growing up a Spurs fan, I am now a Barnet fan who looks for Spurs results and I must admit to evel trying to look out for Barrow's results now icon_redface.gif.

Although my Boreham Wood save is currently stagnating a little and has become more of a test than a long-term game due to the attendance and finance issues, I laughed my socks off when this cup draw was made.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsley:

7points behind Leigh RMI who don't actually conceed goals. They conceded 12 after 24 games and were flying away with it.

I'll take the credit for RMI's excellent season as i'm their club researcher. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one, kept that one quiet didn't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i mentioned it briefly in last seasons challenge thread. I been doing it since FM05 and still going. They became my favorite non-league side when they took Fulham to a replay in the FA Cup 1n 1999 i think it was.

I started going to most of their home games and thought i'd apply for their club researcher vacancy, the rest is history as they say. icon_cool.gif

*correct icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif

Guess what?

I went to almost every home game of theirs between '97 and '01 including the Fulham game you speak of, both the replay at home and the original tie at Craven Cottage. Went to a few away games too, including one up in Wales. Was much more fun than supporting a big team imo.

I lived about 10 minutes from their ground too. I remember the season they won the Unibond First Division, Steve Jones now of Burnley banging them in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was playing as Barnet in CM4(ish) (I think that's when they were introduced), that got me into supporting Barnet. After growing up a Spurs fan, I am now a Barnet fan who looks for Spurs results and I must admit to evel trying to look out for Barrow's results now icon_redface.gif.

Although my Boreham Wood save is currently stagnating a little and has become more of a test than a long-term game due to the attendance and finance issues, I laughed my socks off when this cup draw was made. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mon Super Kyle. icon_wink.gif

Nothing happened this game.

The second round of the tie is at home, my 100th game in charge of Ilkeston. It's 1-1, it stays that way in full time. I was delighted to learn there was no away goals rule here, we looked out of it.

Both teams are playing for penalties, which...

WE WON 5-4 ON! TAYLOR, YOU LEGEND

Ilkeston live to fight another day. On May 23rd against Workington, it will be decided which league we play the next season in.

Booyah.

Originally posted by kaNovi:

Could any1 just press new game and see if you can pick the beta patch, or its just default ? please..

I don't think there is a data update with the beta patch, so I doubt there is an option for a different database on startup.

after waiting for a week i just got my game. I installed it and I'm on holidy as I type.

maybe need an hour to post my manager's profile because i'll be reloding to fina sub 1000 rep team

too bad its late at night and i have school tomorrow( I'm from the saudi arabia so it different here)

1st half

Early chances for both team, as pulses race!

Yellow for one of midfielders...early...

10th minute: GOAL hednesford - lucky longshot

22 min: good freekick chance goes to waste as Gateshead take control of the game

41 min. We cannot contain mr Young and its 2-0. Heads are hanging

64 min. Dowson, get injured of course. We switch to desparation tactics. CHARGe!

71. 2-1 Makofo. A way back?

77th minute 2-2 WATSS - YAY!

what to do now...keep the pressure up or ease up?

we back down a little. but remain in all out attack, since we might as well die trying!

81 minute Young through on goal...oh no...YES, great tackle from Norton!

Season Review 2008/2009

A successful season for me, promotion, albeit through the playoffs, but promotion is promotion, whatever way it comes. These are the players that did it for me sorted by average rating, and I'm not surprised to see Ephraim at the top. In the end Dorchester just ran away with the league, and once they were confirmed champions I just gave up hope and looked to secure 2nd place, and the top playoff seed. I did it convincingly really, finishing 6 points ahead of Ebbsfleet in the final table. Would have been harsh if I hadn't in my opinion as the position history shows that I occupied the 2nd spot for the majority of the season, and the entire last third.

There were several individual successes when it came to the player awards being handed out. Ephraim and Hutchinson taking 2nd and 3rd in the golden boot award, Barron topping the assists chart with Ephraim sneaking into 3rd ahead of Hutchinson, and Ephraim yet again tying for first in the man of the match awards stakes. The team wasn't so successful in the team awards only topping the goals scored chart. Then again we got promoted so what do they know.

These are my tactics. They have served me well, especially the wingbacks with backwards arrows. They love bombing forward when we're in possession but those arrows ensure they are rarely out of place when we lose the ball. Barron reveled in the attacking midfield position, putting in some key passes for the assists, and testing the goalkeeper on many occasion. Paul Kennett was a nice anchor midfielder, although the stats page didn't show his three red cards! He really tempered my mettle with his stupidity when on a yellow card.

Here are the key men:

Curtis Osano

Charlie Daniels

Hogan Ephraim

and just for a laugh, Andrew Gurney

Bring on the Blue Square Conference Premier! I can take it, and with a bit of luck, and some help from Bontcho, so can my crack squad of Bulgarians icon_wink.gif

Disclaimer: I haven't actually assembled this so called crack squad yet, but I'm hoping to in the upcoming transfer window, bribes for work permits will be paid.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Barns Reaches Ton

Vs Histon, Barnsley will play his 100th game icon_smile.gif

Against Tom Clarke, the goal machine (always scores against me icon_frown.gif)

1-0 up 2 minutes to play icon_smile.gif Histon go and score 2 goals to win 2-1.

Not the 100th game i was looking for icon_frown.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im on about 100th game in charge icon_smile.gif

If the kids and wife wasnt asleep right now, id be screaming my friggin head off.

We are promotoed in perhaps the most exciting game Ihave ever played. I was ready to quit the game and half time and when Dowson went down.

what a game!

The game

The news

My hands are shaking!

now they HAVE to give me a new contract, right?

Originally posted by Barnsley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Barns Reaches Ton

Vs Histon, Barnsley will play his 100th game icon_smile.gif

Against Tom Clarke, the goal machine (always scores against me icon_frown.gif)

1-0 up 2 minutes to play icon_smile.gif Histon go and score 2 goals to win 2-1.

Not the 100th game i was looking for icon_frown.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im on about 100th game in charge icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know.

Mousinho to Stevie Lawrence...oh, cut out by Ashton, cleared out over to Rigley, who's running forward with it...past the halfway line...he gets past Taylor...oh, he puts in a cross!

Cut out by Mousinho, though. Didn't look like threatening stuff. Mousinho clears it, but the ball's taken by Workington's Tom Lees. Lees...hoofs it up, but no one's at the end of it besides Harris, and he's an opponent.

Harris lofts it over to Moore...oh, Plummer made a nice play to cut that one out. He passes it to Byrne, who's dispossessed by Mousinho quite easily. Fatigue really setting in here.

Mousinho has a lot of space in front of him, he spots Jonny Pringle! Splendid pass by Mousinho, absolutely terrific, ball past Lees... Pringle's onto it! He's free in the box! GOAL! GOAL FOR ILKESTON!

JONNY PRINGLE HAS WON ILKESTON THE LEAD! IN THE 113TH MINUTE!

Promotion! Get in.

Chippenham Town - 2008/09 midseason update

The first half of this season has just been weird. After not being able to score at all in the first 4 games, and kinda wobbling along after that, we had a 12 game unbeaten streak, including winning Manager of the Month and my players sweeping the top 3 for Player of the Month I didn't make much of any tactical changes then, so I think most of this had to do with the players my scouts found and I signed around that time. I'm a bit over the wage budget, but I think as long as I stay in the top-half of the table and are still making a profit that shouldn't be an issue. I only signed most players to one-year deals anyhow since I wasn't sure how we'd fare. Our recent form has been bumpy again, but better than the start of the year, and I think it's about to turn around again. Let's see if we can make a promotion push !

Midseason table

Graph

Results Part 1

Results Part 2

End of Season Update(Ilkeston) - 2009/2010

2008/2009 - 14th in Blue Square North

2009/2010 - 15th in Blue Square North

A really frustrating season, not making any real progress towards the top of the table.

After winning the first 3 games, Ilkeston were shockingly inconsistent and lost lots of games that they should have won due to pretty much 85% of all shots on target for the opposition going in. This got so annoying that i almost quit the game...I couldn't do anything about it no matter what i tried.

Eventually this stopped to a degree and we scrapped our way back up to 15th.

The only positives were 2 of my strikers, Super Kyle and Zac Richardson - I'll put the screenprints on later as photobucket seems to be down.

Aims for next season are a mid-table finish to satisfy the board, and I'll need to sort the club finances out - something which is very tricky as I've not had one approach for any of my players in 2 years despite having 4 on the list and offering them to clubs for free.

Right, so it appears that either I got offered a 2 year contract at the start, which never happened on FM07 (did anyone get it this year) or they've just added a year on without asking me because my contract expires in June 2010. Did anyone else get an initial 2 year contract? Either way I don't gaf, lets me concentrate on the Blue Square Premiership.

Anyway, there's some utter randomers on my player search list icon_biggrin.gif French people, Bermudans, Indians, Nigerians. Time to start offering trials.

Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Dafuge can I just check an Ivory Coast-ian appears on my player search screen and agrees to come on trial, signing him is ok, right?

Can't get a work permit for his trial. Oh well.

icon_frown.gif (u21 caps though!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would have been ok, since the reason he was on there would be due to a member of staff at your club.

I've had the same problem with a Nigerian (due to my Physio Carl Asaba), I guess it's unlikely to get work permits at this level.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

would it be against the rules to change their kit colours ? icon_biggrin.gif

No, provided you can do it without using the editor.

(e-mail me if you don't know how to) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youve got mail

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Right, so it appears that either I got offered a 2 year contract at the start, which never happened on FM07 (did anyone get it this year) or they've just added a year on without asking me because my contract expires in June 2010. Did anyone else get an initial 2 year contract?

Gloucester City gave me an initial 5 year contract.

Must be desperate... icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by apg26:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Right, so it appears that either I got offered a 2 year contract at the start, which never happened on FM07 (did anyone get it this year) or they've just added a year on without asking me because my contract expires in June 2010. Did anyone else get an initial 2 year contract?

Gloucester City gave me an initial 5 year contract.

Must be desperate... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the contract you start with is to do with the boards initial plan. With Hendon I was given a 5 year contract with a 5 year plan. Now as Stamford I have a 2 year plan and contract.

Originally posted by Allan:

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

My game ju5t cra5hed and I lo5t 5 game5... al5o it look5 like my 5 key i5int working which you can 5ee from thi5 po5t....

5tupid pc...

ok my s key wasent broken... seems id acidentally set up that imageshack screenshot program to use the s key to upload a screenshot to it automatically....

So I was hammering the S key 50 times theres prob 50 screenshots of my desktop uploaded now....

oops icon_biggrin.gif

Gave up trying to get Harlow Town so opted to start tonight as Hendon. Took over & found it almost impossible to get staff in with respectable ratings but sorted that out & started to find some freebies who I can build a squad out of to fight relegation this season.

After a very unconvincing pre-season I am now 4 games into the season, after losing the first game 3-1 away to Histon I didn't really have much confidence of doing anything but clinging on for the rest of the campaign.

I followed that up with a 1-0 home win to Salisbury & then a 1-1 draw away to Eastleigh to lead me into my 4th game at home to Bishops Stortford.

To my surprise right from the off I was dominant & was 6-0 up at half time & went on to win 7-0.

So far I'd say the player's who are looking good for me are Charles Ademeno up front who's scored 7 in 4 games for me & my centre backs Curtis Obeng & Alexander Smith.

My manager profile

My club profile page

Blue Square North - Worksop Town - January 2009

it's all starting to go a bit pete tong...

Worksop's woeful form

as you can see, my promotion challenge is beginning to founder somewhat. can't put my finger on why. not changed anything tactics wise or in personnel to be honest. just stopped scoring goals a bit. as a result, the league looks as follows...

League Graph

there's no hiding my slump in the graph. desperately ned to stop the rot. to make matters worse i've just had a bid for my star striker

Burton bid for Zavon Hines

now i'm going to reject it as it's peanuts really, and only a step up of one league. just hope he doesn't start to sulk.....

3Sitxt's Chippenham town update 2010-2011

Un-bloody-believable, at one stage i was about 12 points ahead with 3 games in hand.

We tried are very hardest to give it away.

Table

Went into the final day, we went 1-0 down early doors, was level before half time and on course for promotion, then disaster struck, Rushden took the lead and were going to take the title on goals scored[/b.

All look glum until Gary martin wrote his name in to Chippenham Town folklaw with a 87th minute winner, cue frantic defending and time wasting tactics and the title was ours, league football here we come.

The Squador as i like to call them, heroes.

Jason White - Top Goal Scorerthats twice his goals have got us promoted.

Gary Martin aka Mr 87th minutewe all know what he is famous for.

Cup Finishes:

FA Cup: 4th Qual round.

Setanta Shield: Semi's

FA Trophy: Semi's

Not much else to say.

See you all in league 2.

Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

My game ju5t cra5hed and I lo5t 5 game5... al5o it look5 like my 5 key i5int working which you can 5ee from thi5 po5t....

5tupid pc...

ok my s key wasent broken... seems id acidentally set up that imageshack screenshot program to use the s key to upload a screenshot to it automatically....

So I was hammering the S key 50 times theres prob 50 screenshots of my desktop uploaded now....

oops icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha, nice way to eat up some bandwidth icon_biggrin.gif I always set mine to ctrl and a key so I don't hit it accidentally.

btw, Bontcho has come up with an absolute stunner in pre-season. Details will follow icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

oh yeah, must update the official website. Forgot to do that.

I gave up on updating the website when I had to re-start last year post patch.

I feel guilty now after all the work Allan put in though. I log on every day just to have a look even if I have nothing to change icon_biggrin.gif.

Archived