The Hardest English League in FM

Hardest English League in FM  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most difficult English league in FM to get promoted from and/or to avoid relegation?

• Premier League
    • Championship
    • League One
    • League Two
    • Vanarama National
    • Vanarama North/South
    • Trident and County Leagues
    • None. They are all the same
    • Don't Know

I'm watching a Netflix documentary (Sunderland til I Die) that keeps saying that "League One is the hardest league in English football." As I think about this, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what's the most difficult English league in FM to get promoted from and/or to avoid relegation.

Please answer the survey and share your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by phd_angel

Either the Vanarama National or the Championship, but probably the Championship, especially if you're in a save where you're climbing the leagues.

In the Championship you're competing against 3 teams that were just relegated from the Premier League, and about 7-10 teams that were recently in the top flight. So near-enough the top half of the Championship is occupied by teams that feature some/a lot of seriously good players, who have budgets boosted by parachute payments.

On the other hand, if you're a newly- or recently-promoted side, there isn't very much money available, so it's much harder to compete at the top of the division.

If you're doing a non-league to legend save, the Championship is usually the biggest pinch-point.

In my experience I find the lower the league the harder it is. Without a shadow of a doubt this is because I am a bad manager, and my shortcomings are exposed without the required staff to delegate my duties to.

My experience say that getting promoted into the Championship from League One means you are in for a hard time. Every time I've gotten there I've been stuck for many years before getting up into the PL. It's also hard to get out of the Vanarama National, but League One and League Two has usually been easier.

I think it boils down to certain gulfs or pinch points like someone mentioned above.

The championship to the Premiership is a massive gulf in class and staying there is difficult. As well as that the competition is fierce to get out of the Championship. A lot of pressure and money on the line.

From a FM perspective the only league that feels like a huge step up in class is the Championship after promotion from League 1.

That is the point where it feels necessary to significantly upgrade the quality of the players in order to progress.

From conference to League 1 (in my experience anyway) it is possible to use a lot of the same players with just 1 or 2 additions each season. Championship to Premier does require a significant influx of new players BUT you are then at the point where attracting players and having money to sign them are significantly easier problems to overcome.

Non league leagues are the hardest. In the majority of the cases only champions and playoff winners go up. Saying that though if you can build a really strong team then you can climb two or three leagues pretty quickly

Edited by Nobby_McDonald

• 2 weeks later...

In my Worcester save I've found league one to be the hardest, after 6 successive promotions. You can steamroll the lower leagues very easily, but saying that I analyse matches more than most, use comprehensive highlights etc

Edited by iGoldenBen

Easily managing to get from National Leagues North or South into the National League proper - it's so easy to mess up one or two games, and then end up either having to fight through play-offs, or just be outside the top teams, and then you have to go through it all over again.