[FM24] The Norseman

_Ben_

image.png.dd84ceb4877bfe35285518a605854a1e.png

image.png.53d7aa64d4c8ba055bd7fd18407c299b.png

image.thumb.png.bc3b9e8fb36553803e0a09335802b440.png

It is with great sadness that, in this shorter-than-normal update, the title of Neverkusen will have to be used again, as we succumbed to a penalty defeat to Leipzig in the Pokal, making three final defeats in two years - this one, our Europa League final defeat to Rennes twelve months ago and the DLF-Supercup loss to Bayern at the start of this season. These failures, as well as the end of season tail-off have somewhat put a dampener on what has been a fantastic season for us, where we've broken the Bayern stronghold, although, in this case, Dortmund have just done it better than us. Following that, Bayern's Nagelsmann was given his marching orders, as was Leipzig's Marco Rose and Thomas Tuchel after PSG failed to win Ligue Une again, meaning that there is bound to be a busy summer window as the managerial merry-go-round rolls on.

The overall squad performance suggests that I am somewhat at a crossroads within this save: continue to build my way or splash hundreds of millions from our rather expansive €140m budget on the missing gaps. For example - a new striker to upgrade Arkine would surely set us back upwards of €60m, but, with Jakush in the wings and only not playing simply because I have that Moukoko effect of him not being old enough, the future looks bright. I'm not scared to spend that money but it does reduce somewhat from the whole point of finding real bargains to develop as they're simply not good enough to get into the team right now. Focusing on these will - surely - set back my sights for domination by a couple of years but the developmental aspect of the game is one that I love and won't shy away from. The squad, with expected departure of Nmecha after a year of solid service and the promotion of Fynn Angerer looks strong, young, promising and fit for the purpose that I want it to be. That being said - I'll look into it in more detail over the summer, trying to make a marriage of statistical recruitment, player development from the academy and high ceiling bargains!

With prospects of a new stadium and a drive from the board to become Bundesliga champions within five years, the ante is being upped for us to take that step to an elite club but it's a journey that I'm really enjoying!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A second-place finish is rather impressive and surely a great achievement. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for your team. It looks like you're steadily improving, and I'd be optimistic if I were you.
Tactically - Do you plan on changing the tactic to a more relationist approach? Or the issue was the lack of a 'cutting-edge' player to give you the edge over Dortmund?

I recently started a new save, building Esteban Granero's Marbella from the ground up, with a focus on youth development but without it being youth-only, so I'm taking a lot from this thread regarding scouting and development, it's been a huge help - So thank you for that! I plan to eventually post that one here on the forums but I'm going to see that I actually enjoy the save first. Groningen was too enjoyable and before I knew it, I was 3 seasons in with no way of actually summing up the progress I made.

BTW - A great squad view there! I might do a similar one myself.

15 minutes ago, Slipky said:

A second-place finish is rather impressive and surely a great achievement. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for your team. It looks like you're steadily improving, and I'd be optimistic if I were you.
Tactically - Do you plan on changing the tactic to a more relationist approach? Or the issue was the lack of a 'cutting-edge' player to give you the edge over Dortmund?

Yeah, I guess! It's all about the bigger picture and the improvements. 75 points is a new record for us that would've seen us win the league three times, too. I'll keep plugging away and looking at exactly how I can make the marginal gains. I don't think that I really need to change a lot; Dortmund's goal difference was ten greater than ours - scoring twenty more and conceding ten more. It, for me, is about having a top striker but I'm aware that costs a lot of money. I'd looked at Cooperman at Dusseldorf, but Real have just paid €106m for him so that's out of the question. I wonder whether moving Arkine back to a wider role - especially as I didn't give Khuroshvilli enough games to make his move permanent and look for a taller striker to compete with 5'11" Nikolic.

But those are just pieces to the tactical jigsaw which is still kind of evolving:

41dc6187bb56300d63ecbd3caccd8dbc.png

I want a 'very fluid' style and this does that - creating a false Shadow Striker but on a support role. Combined with a Positive approach, all three of the midfielders are 'Very Attacking' whilst the PF(s) - essentially using PI to become a carbon copy of the AF - is on 'Attacking' just offering that little bit more in build up and chaos play. That then leaves the defensive six to play a multitude of roles - dependent on how many players I want to build up with and whether that's centrally, using a Libero or wider using a CWB(s).

The relationism comes from the intricacies within that, and I think that develops more through traits and individual skills. Someone like Duran - for example - is actually less impressive at unlocking a defence or creating a third man run than maybe I initially thought. Those will be the conversations I have with myself over the summer and see how I can strengthen, or - more likely - change the dynamic within the first team.

16 minutes ago, Slipky said:

I recently started a new save, building Esteban Granero's Marbella from the ground up, with a focus on youth development but without it being youth-only, so I'm taking a lot from this thread regarding scouting and development, it's been a huge help - So thank you for that! I plan to eventually post that one here on the forums but I'm going to see that I actually enjoy the save first. Groningen was too enjoyable and before I knew it, I was 3 seasons in with no way of actually summing up the progress I made.

Thank you! I've gone more towards youth development now I'm nearing that elite stage and I as I am less willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money. I look forward to reading about it!

16 minutes ago, Slipky said:

BTW - A great squad view there! I might do a similar one myself.

Home View 24.fmf

There you go!

I agree, I love your skin, squad views and the way you lay out your updates.

Sad end to the season, but as you say, with a new stadium upcoming hopefully that can be a catalyst to take the next step.

20 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

. I wonder whether moving Arkine back to a wider role - especially as I didn't give Khuroshvilli enough games to make his move permanent and look for a taller striker to compete with 5'11" Nikolic.

Nikolic almost trebling Arkine's goals per 90 would support this. Did Nikolic only deputise up front? What about Krassnitzer - I can't recall his physical stature?

Completely understand your concerns about bringing Jakush in too early. I think this happened with Lozano for me. Looks like the perfect situation for a Giroud style signing. 

15 hours ago, Tom14 said:

Long been a fan of your threads Ben. I always learn something new/helpful and I absolutely love the real-life feel of your saves - something I try to do also.

16 hours ago, Rick87 said:

I agree, I love your skin, squad views and the way you lay out your updates.

Sad end to the season, but as you say, with a new stadium upcoming hopefully that can be a catalyst to take the next step.

Thanks for the kind words, both! The future here at Bayer is very much bright, indeed, it just took a dose of what could have been to really make me see that!

1 hour ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Nikolic almost trebling Arkine's goals per 90 would support this. Did Nikolic only deputise up front? What about Krassnitzer - I can't recall his physical stature?

I'm having second, third and fourth thoughts on this!

Arkine is too good to just be a rotational right winger and Krassnitzer not suited to swap with him into this forward role. My style of play isn't built for a big target man but I'm missing physicality in battles - both on the ground and in the air. That being said, I am the coach here and it's my job to try and make Arkine's outputs better and adapt our play to what we have (albeit that I'm not entirely governed by unannounced DoF signings). My first thought is to remove the 'first time shots' from Arkine as that is hugely impacting his xG/shot value, whereas Nikolic has been seen to take a touch and compose himself first. An ideal world would be three attacking midfielders all with the attribute spread to play across those roles and a forward role - which would include being on the taller and more physical side as well as being able to create that chaos I desire.

Also, I'm well into pre-season and, to be fair, my transfer business hasn't quite gone to plan - so there are still times where I'm second guessing myself!

1 hour ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Completely understand your concerns about bringing Jakush in too early. I think this happened with Lozano for me. Looks like the perfect situation for a Giroud style signing. 

My current concern is that, because he's so good, he won't be playing at an appropriate level in the u19 division and, therefore needs first team football. However, given that I'm wanting to be so precise on his development, I'd rather he didn't have substandard coaching and training regimes. It's a real catch 22 for the next 18 to 24 months before I want to just give him first team football with us.

13 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

My current concern is that, because he's so good, he won't be playing at an appropriate level in the u19 division and, therefore needs first team football. However, given that I'm wanting to be so precise on his development, I'd rather he didn't have substandard coaching and training regimes. It's a real catch 22 for the next 18 to 24 months before I want to just give him first team football with us.

I had the same concerns with Ekpe at QPR. But as long as he's performing to a decent standard (Average rating 6.87 after 38 appearances) Then I'm happy that he is ready for this level. I've always used match performance as an indicator to judge their readiness. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, danielgear said:

I had the same concerns with Ekpe at QPR. But as long as he's performing to a decent standard (Average rating 6.87 after 38 appearances) Then I'm happy that he is ready for this level. I've always used match performance as an indicator to judge their readiness. 

image.png.788d91cf0cac7f8a5244aaeca4280b1f.png

The scary part is that he's actually good enough for this level according to my backroom team. The bigger picture is that he was very poor during pre-season, which, in the grand scheme of things, will probably protect him from it for the next six months or so unless I hit a really bad injury patch.

Edited by _Ben_

13 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Also, I'm well into pre-season and, to be fair, my transfer business hasn't quite gone to plan - so there are still times where I'm second guessing myself!

This is exactly the type of chasing the dragon that keeps us all going too. Especially with an approach such as yours where it’s about built, not bought. 

Posted (edited)

image.png.34c60dc290fead8f2417a9be526cc575.png

image.png.a2e1b1c596cb41333327f1d9e84b661c.png

With Tuchel's Bayern return and Nagelsmann's Leipzig homecoming, I want to get this summer right as I’ll – surely – have two more teams trying to usurp Dortmund’s fantastic performances last season and charges to create a lasting legacy. I spent a little bit of time over the summer trying to nail down exactly what I wanted from each area of the pitch and look at the combination of their attributes and their statistical outputs in order to garner a decent understanding of the next steps with this massive club.

image.png.e45e87c6921b2a9da67116bba2fd54b6.pngGoalkeepers:

No weaknesses but the big area for concern is keeping two high quality goalkeepers happer. Fischhaber is the de facto number one: in so much that he's on €90k p/w and his squad status matches that. However, I'd say that in both attribute distribution and performance, Simo usurps him. I don't really want to go full De Zerbi and rotate these two, playing the taller Bjorklund against more aerially-dominate teams but I really can't think of a solution that will keep both happy. The likelihood is that former number one Fischhaber will move on when he reaches the point of unhappiness as - should Bjorklund reach that first - he'll get the assurances of first team football to come. It's a cut throat world as a 'keeper and I'm delighted to have actually developed myself a good one but this is not the area to be micromanaging and panicking about!

image.png.63e41cdcc8a7340b48351215609b0085.pngDefenders:

Although I'm relatively happy with the quality and the depth here, I couldn't help but think that I was missing an elite centre back to partner Markovic. The shortlist I'd be collating across the season led me to Fabio Stutz, a converted midfielder who had, by the looks of it, spent at least some time there given his goal contribution totals. Whilst his defensive work wasn't as strong as the others, I felt that the positional change would account for a significant portion of it and that I could slowly bring him into the fold and see how he actually played as a ball playing defender. A bid of €14.5m was made - matching his release clause - but he chose the riches of PSG over us. Somewhat deterred by this knock back, I decided that nobody else on that shortlist met my expectations and demands, so I moved on. We've got Kahl in the youth team and the luxury that these players are mostly comfortably in a variety of roles.

image.png.e8af7d0b90582506bf9913a80679d890.pngDeeper Midfielders:

I feel that we can be a bit soft at times and, despite our core principles, lack that bit of physicality in the defensive area here. I build in a 3-2 most often, so, realistically, one of these deeper mids doesn't even really count in the defensive sense, however, he's still a body that forms a defensive block and is in charge of some defensive duties. None of the four listed are particularly proficient ball winners but it is both Sindelar and Angerer that concern me in these roles. With Reckert the go-to Volante, I really that I needed some muscle in the centre of the pitch. Again, my shortlist was consulted and Tamás Hirman stood out: a man whose work on retrieving and keeping the ball safe stood out to me. He's statistically expert ball-winner but I did have some reservations as to why literally nobody else has heard of him! I have recently added the Hungarian league to the save but he's been there from the start, moving from Sparta Prague, where he came through the academy, before a spell at Fehervar and then Ferencvarosi. A bid of just €1.2m was made by my DoF and he signed: his coach report indicating that I've perhaps got myself a good bargain here.

But, as always, things change. Man Utd's bid for Sindelar is above my asking price and, as such - after writing this, I'll seek a replacement. 

image.png.be699b4898b9155545e03f75a36a5bbc.pngAdvanced Midfielders:

An area I've talked about a lot of late but an area that is one man down; Khuroshvili returned to Freiburg as I wasn't able (and misunderstood what the clause meant) to reach 25 league appearances with only 17 left in the season and is now valued at around €55m. Not out of our reach by any means but, realistically, out of my desirable price range. I'd considered moving Arkine back to the winger role but felt that both he and Krassnitzer were too good to rotate so, as of right now, the search for a backup winger continues. Additionally, I'm playing the slow game with Mladen Mehanovic - a long term target from Augsburg. He's unsettled and has twelve months left on his deal - the same amount as Duran. However, I feel that the young German is far more aligned to my system and can play in a multitude of roles, unlike the Dutchman, who has fallen out of favour a little since Ozguneri signed. I'm notoriously bad at being patient with these things but it's a target - €0m is significantly more fun than €50m!

image.png.4fbfa235b0faa714f546c7ad5d21c783.pngForwards:

As I worked in a sensible order, I'd already kind of made my mind up that Arkine was staying as my forward but I'd look to remove his 'tries first time shots' trait in order to try and increase the amount of xG/shot he creates. I also think that he has been pretty low on confidence for a while and needs a strong start to the season to really kick on but, every time I've dropped him, Nikolic has come in and done really well - making the whole rotational element really quite tough. That being said, my shortlist pointed to two elite strikers: Niklas Coopmann and Owen Fort. The end goal is that their combined moves to Real Madrid and Liverpool, respectively, cost over €180m. Again, we could afford one of these but it's not my desired squad building method. With plenty of promise in young Jakush, the future could be bright in a couple of years but I have to manage my way to that time...

---

It's a big season ahead. With some movement in the squad inevitable but an off-season that wasn't, honestly, ideal in terms of recruitment. Money is now - essentially - not an issue but that goes against what I'm trying to create here but I do feel that it's playing an even bigger role in how I shape this squad.

Edited by _Ben_

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

image.png.39c40638b89974935d471d3b63d3638e.png

image.png.6f7a3fef0afee6e12c5db5fc249c00cf.png

With Tuchel's Bayern return and Nagelsmann's Leipzig homecoming, I want to get this summer right as I’ll – surely – have two more teams trying to usurp Dortmund’s fantastic performances last season and charges to create a lasting legacy. I spent a little bit of time over the summer trying to nail down exactly what I wanted from each area of the pitch and look at the combination of their attributes and their statistical outputs in order to garner a decent understanding of the next steps with this massive club.

image.png.9d623ab592e5f91ad3ef5020d361d430.png Goalkeepers:

No weaknesses but the big area for concern is keeping two high quality goalkeepers happer. Fischhaber is the de facto number one: in so much that he's on €90k p/w and his squad status matches that. However, I'd say that in both attribute distribution and performance, Simo usurps him. I don't really want to go full De Zerbi and rotate these two, playing the taller Bjorklund against more aerially-dominate teams but I really can't think of a solution that will keep both happy. The likelihood is that former number one Fischhaber will move on when he reaches the point of unhappiness as - should Bjorklund reach that first - he'll get the assurances of first team football to come. It's a cut throat world as a 'keeper and I'm delighted to have actually developed myself a good one but this is not the area to be micromanaging and panicking about!

image.png.fea4905a7f99006bd887c89a19f296a0.png Defenders:

Although I'm relatively happy with the quality and the depth here, I couldn't help but think that I was missing an elite centre back to partner Markovic. The shortlist I'd be collating across the season led me to Fabio Stutz, a converted midfielder who had, by the looks of it, spent at least some time there given his goal contribution totals. Whilst his defensive work wasn't as strong as the others, I felt that the positional change would account for a significant portion of it and that I could slowly bring him into the fold and see how he actually played as a ball playing defender. A bid of €14.5m was made - matching his release clause - but he chose the riches of PSG over us. Somewhat deterred by this knock back, I decided that nobody else on that shortlist met my expectations and demands, so I moved on. We've got Kahl in the youth team and the luxury that these players are mostly comfortably in a variety of roles.

image.png.fea4905a7f99006bd887c89a19f296a0.png   Deeper Midfielders:

I feel that we can be a bit soft at times and, despite our core principles, lack that bit of physicality in the defensive area here. I build in a 3-2 most often, so, realistically, one of these deeper mids doesn't even really count in the defensive sense, however, he's still a body that forms a defensive block and is in charge of some defensive duties. None of the four listed are particularly proficient ball winners but it is both Sindelar and Angerer that concern me in these roles. With Reckert the go-to Volante, I really that I needed some muscle in the centre of the pitch. Again, my shortlist was consulted and Tamás Herman stood out: a man whose work on retrieving and keeping the ball safe stood out to me. He's statistically expert ball-winner but I did have some reservations as to why literally nobody else has heard of him! I have recently added the Hungarian league to the save but he's been there from the start, moving from Sparta Prague, where he came through the academy, before a spell at Fehervar and then Ferencvarosi. A bid of just €1.2m was made by my DoF and he signed: his coach report indicating that I've perhaps got myself a good bargain here.

But, as always, things change. Man Utd's bid for Sindelar is above my asking price and, as such - after writing this, I'll seek a replacement. 

image.png.0f271b6e44464a4f9269b5ad7f2fdb08.png Advanced Midfielders:

An area I've talked about a lot of late but an area that is one man down; Khuroshvili returned to Freiburg as I wasn't able (and misunderstood what the clause meant) to reach 25 league appearances with only 17 left in the season and is now valued at around €55m. Not out of our reach by any means but, realistically, out of my desirable price range. I'd considered moving Arkine back to the winger role but felt that both he and Krassnitzer were too good to rotate so, as of right now, the search for a backup winger continues. Additionally, I'm playing the slow game with Mladen Mehanovic - a long term target from Augsburg. He's unsettled and has twelve months left on his deal - the same amount as Duran. However, I feel that the young German is far more aligned to my system and can play in a multitude of roles, unlike the Dutchman, who has fallen out of favour a little since Ozguneri signed. I'm notoriously bad at being patient with these things but it's a target - €0m is significantly more fun than €50m!

image.png.bc2141786c15337af66224ad137578fe.png  Forwards:

As I worked in a sensible order, I'd already kind of made my mind up that Arkine was staying as my forward but I'd look to remove his 'tries first time shots' trait in order to try and increase the amount of xG/shot he creates. I also think that he has been pretty low on confidence for a while and needs a strong start to the season to really kick on but, every time I've dropped him, Nikolic has come in and done really well - making the whole rotational element really quite tough. That being said, my shortlist pointed to two elite strikers: Niklas Coopmann and Owen Fort. The end goal is that their combined moves to Real Madrid and Liverpool, respectively, cost over €180m. Again, we could afford one of these but it's not my desired squad building method. With plenty of promise in young Jakush, the future could be bright in a couple of years but I have to manage my way to that time...

---

It's a big season ahead. With some movement in the squad inevitable but an off-season that wasn't, honestly, ideal in terms of recruitment. Money is now - essentially - not an issue but that goes against what I'm trying to create here but I do feel that it's playing an even bigger role in how I shape this squad.

Herman looks like an absolute bargain! Hope he can perform at the higher level. 

4 hours ago, Lestri said:

Herman looks like an absolute bargain! Hope he can perform at the higher level. 

I know! With over 250,000 players in my database - there are some real hidden gems that either my scouts or my statistical recruitment methods pick up. Feels very realistic!

On 13/04/2024 at 14:16, _Ben_ said:

First game back to FM after a really busy week and this happens:

062283be4c12cba9335d1a8be73bb2d8.png

We played most of the second half with a CWB(a) - L(s) - BPD(d) - IWB(s) backline as CSKA then decided to just not actually have any forwards. Of course, their keeper picked up man of the match.

Welcome to the Champions League!

Nothing worse especially after a lay off. I’ve been away some time and luckily finished the season of well to re focus my interest! 

Things are going very well at Leverkusen and I think everyone in real life now has a soft spot for the after Xabi’s exploits 

Shame that Sindelar has gone but I really like the look of Hirman, definitely a massive bargain at £1.2m.

Also nice to see that you're sticking to the general principles of seeking bargains through the scouting and data route. Much more satisfying that lobbing serious money about. 

re Arkine's trait - it's interesting that you're looking to remove 'takes first time shots'. I went the opposite way and added this to Aguirre's game in my save. My logic was that he has great Technique but is not very strong - therefore I felt that he was losing opportunities by trying to take a touch and then getting muscled off the ball by bigger defenders. I can't recall Arkine's attributes off the top of my head but do you find he gets sufficient time and space to allow that extra touch? I wish there were stats which would show you how many of a player's shots are headers / left foot / right foot to help identify why there might be lower xG/shot or just poorer conversion rates.

On 03/05/2024 at 03:32, SixPointer said:

Things are going very well at Leverkusen and I think everyone in real life now has a soft spot for the after Xabi’s exploits 

Thanks! Good to see you back and will dip into your thread when time allows! I think that the real life swell has only added to the pressure on me to turn Neverkusen into Neverlusen!

8 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Shame that Sindelar has gone but I really like the look of Hirman, definitely a massive bargain at £1.2m.

Also nice to see that you're sticking to the general principles of seeking bargains through the scouting and data route. Much more satisfying that lobbing serious money about. 

re Arkine's trait - it's interesting that you're looking to remove 'takes first time shots'. I went the opposite way and added this to Aguirre's game in my save. My logic was that he has great Technique but is not very strong - therefore I felt that he was losing opportunities by trying to take a touch and then getting muscled off the ball by bigger defenders. I can't recall Arkine's attributes off the top of my head but do you find he gets sufficient time and space to allow that extra touch? I wish there were stats which would show you how many of a player's shots are headers / left foot / right foot to help identify why there might be lower xG/shot or just poorer conversion rates.

Absolutely. I'll continue to stick to that methodology throughout probably every save I ever play on FM!

Arkine:

image.png.cf313269c42aff9c7e109286de614660.png

His first touch, technique and agility mean he should be able to bring the ball under control in a tight area and do something before getting his shot away. Far too many times, given the fact that I either want him involved in the build up - as a CF(s) - or as an W(s), he's getting the ball deep and then shooting immediately. I realise that this may not necessarily be down to his traits and more in that Positive + W(s) = Very Attacking mentality/risk but the difference between he and Nikolic is quite extreme.

image.png.04c20747ea3a5a6f5874fb77e39058d8.png

"Necessity is the mother of all invention."

---

I have to hold my hands up and say that I undersold the travesty that the summer transfer window was for Leverkusen. WIthout a replacement sourced for Khuroshvili, unhappy about the progression of regular loanee Schulz and utterly perplexed about the best positions of Krassnizter and Arkine - I went into the season with Duran (AMC only), Bangura, Krassnizter, Sarier and D'Anzi to cover what will hopefully be fifty-plus games across three very demanding attacking roles. Fine. Until the injuries hit. Soon though, I was without Sarier for two months or more with a torn hamstring, Duran for over a fortnight and repeated knocks for Krassnitzer and forward Nikolic, forcing me to keep the talented duo of Krassnitzer and Arkine free to rotate there. I needed to think outside of the box.

image.png.fa36d933f23d9dbe4fdd5b46d9eaa2f0.png

Enter the 3-4-2-1 or the '5-2-2-1 DM AM' as the game wants to call it.

Sacrificing an attacking player because I simply was unable to field four of them was a tough decision for me but has really paid dividends and feels even closer to home with how Xabi Alonso is currently playing. It's allowed me to keep my core principles - but provide us with a set in stone extra defender when building up against a formation with two up top. The joy though, for me, is that I can also keep a lot of our playing style principles the same, including the box midfield - formed by the L(s), DM(s), VOL(s) and AM(s). With our game adapting more and more to a higher pressing necessity, which, to be honest, suits our DNA, I'm finding that both crowding the middle in and out of possession is working well for us. I'm still not quite set on the roles of the wing backs - currently going with aWB(s) and a CWB(s) on the more aggressive left - and certainly feel that I don't have the Frimpong/Grimaldo combo locked down yet but they hold their width and provide attacking impetus; maybe the next steps are to have wingers that are able to play in the W(s) role in the 4231 and wing backs in this shape! I'm also able to explore different roles - particularly the WCB - which I just cannot do in a four man backline. The transitional movement I can create with liberos, wide centre backs, anchors and half backs is pretty incredible and - whilst I realise some of that is wasted and just for proof that 'I can' do it - there are certainly some beautiful bits of play that, once I'm back to a bit more playing time, will try and capture.

The take away from this though is that, once I have a fully stocked team, I am now able to fluidly change shapes pre and mid game to counter specific shapes - particularly the use of a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1. Furthermore, once I can then identify their pressing triggers and pressing intensity, can amend defensive roles: WCB(s)-L(s)-WCB(s) - a highly aggressive back three against a low engaging two man front line - can morph into a WCB(s)-L(s)-BPD(d) with a HB(d) or A(d) ahead if they've switched to an pressing forward and a deeper runner, for example. Even looking at the formations we face will tell you the necessity of the changes - a chance conceded every 107 minutes against a 4-4-2 but 269 minutes against a 4-2-3-1 whereby my false back three was 'great' but also involved a lot of lateral movement and, when tired, you could see the players just dropping off. Three centre backs, where needed, should absolutely solve that issue.

The data hub, early on into this experiment, validates the necessity of those changes:

image.png.2e5bbf6b087f6aaa3d7d7833a90b84ce.png

---

I want to win this league not because I'm playing a variant of gegenpress but because I've become a tactically astute manager who meticulously plans for games, identifies areas to exploit and areas to tighten up on and then unleashes a well-drilled and refined squad to do that. So far, it's working beyond my wildest dreams:

image.thumb.png.19d66ae254d5c651214e9de18f720b64.png

Twelve straight wins. Three goals conceded. Wow.

The start to the season, despite not having the toughest run, has been outstanding. Our shapes are holding up and we're looking strong attacking and solid defending. Our season started with the annual Pokal curtain raiser and we managed to hit ten against poor Norderstedt, with Jakub Janusch scoring twice on his competitive debut for the club. We've become so well rounded, too; six goals from corners, four from free kicks and eight from crosses - mainly those high xG low cutbacks - show that we aren't just a counter attacking team, despite seven from through balls and a - unreliable long term source - three from opposition mistakes. Bangura leads the way with along with Duran with seven goal contributions each whilst Reckert has found his scoring from from the VOL(s) role with four and a further two assists. In fact, sixteen different names have got themselves on the scoresheet this year so far: a true team performance!

It's all coming together very nicely. Die Werkself!

18 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I want to win this league not because I'm playing a variant of gegenpress but because I've become a tactically astute manager who meticulously plans for games, identifies areas to exploit and areas to tighten up on and then unleashes a well-drilled and refined squad to do that. So far, it's working beyond my wildest dreams:

You have certainly become that Ben. You have went an applied your data that you used for transfers way back and applied the logical thinking into the tactics, the change here looks like you could become unstoppable force. a chance every 49 minutes, 12 straight wins, 9 clean sheets that is formidable!

On 02/05/2024 at 18:24, _Ben_ said:

I know! With over 250,000 players in my database - there are some real hidden gems that either my scouts or my statistical recruitment methods pick up. Feels very realistic!

Finding the gems is something that I’ve found a lot harder following the changes to scouting. But man it feels good when you find them. 

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

image.png.04c20747ea3a5a6f5874fb77e39058d8.png

"Necessity is the mother of all invention."

---

I have to hold my hands up and say that I undersold the travesty that the summer transfer window was for Leverkusen. WIthout a replacement sourced for Khuroshvili, unhappy about the progression of regular loanee Schulz and utterly perplexed about the best positions of Krassnizter and Arkine - I went into the season with Duran (AMC only), Bangura, Krassnizter, Sarier and D'Anzi to cover what will hopefully be fifty-plus games across three very demanding attacking roles. Fine. Until the injuries hit. Soon though, I was without Sarier for two months or more with a torn hamstring, Duran for over a fortnight and repeated knocks for Krassnitzer and forward Nikolic, forcing me to keep the talented duo of Krassnitzer and Arkine free to rotate there. I needed to think outside of the box.

image.png.fa36d933f23d9dbe4fdd5b46d9eaa2f0.png

Enter the 3-4-2-1 or the '5-2-2-1 DM AM' as the game wants to call it.

Sacrificing an attacking player because I simply was unable to field four of them was a tough decision for me but has really paid dividends and feels even closer to home with how Xabi Alonso is currently playing. It's allowed me to keep my core principles - but provide us with a set in stone extra defender when building up against a formation with two up top. The joy though, for me, is that I can also keep a lot of our playing style principles the same, including the box midfield - formed by the L(s), DM(s), VOL(s) and AM(s). With our game adapting more and more to a higher pressing necessity, which, to be honest, suits our DNA, I'm finding that both crowding the middle in and out of possession is working well for us. I'm still not quite set on the roles of the wing backs - currently going with aWB(s) and a CWB(s) on the more aggressive left - and certainly feel that I don't have the Frimpong/Grimaldo combo locked down yet but they hold their width and provide attacking impetus; maybe the next steps are to have wingers that are able to play in the W(s) role in the 4231 and wing backs in this shape! I'm also able to explore different roles - particularly the WCB - which I just cannot do in a four man backline. The transitional movement I can create with liberos, wide centre backs, anchors and half backs is pretty incredible and - whilst I realise some of that is wasted and just for proof that 'I can' do it - there are certainly some beautiful bits of play that, once I'm back to a bit more playing time, will try and capture.

The take away from this though is that, once I have a fully stocked team, I am now able to fluidly change shapes pre and mid game to counter specific shapes - particularly the use of a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1. Furthermore, once I can then identify their pressing triggers and pressing intensity, can amend defensive roles: WCB(s)-L(s)-WCB(s) - a highly aggressive back three against a low engaging two man front line - can morph into a WCB(s)-L(s)-BPD(d) with a HB(d) or A(d) ahead if they've switched to an pressing forward and a deeper runner, for example. Even looking at the formations we face will tell you the necessity of the changes - a chance conceded every 107 minutes against a 4-4-2 but 269 minutes against a 4-2-3-1 whereby my false back three was 'great' but also involved a lot of lateral movement and, when tired, you could see the players just dropping off. Three centre backs, where needed, should absolutely solve that issue.

The data hub, early on into this experiment, validates the necessity of those changes:

image.png.2e5bbf6b087f6aaa3d7d7833a90b84ce.png

---

image.thumb.png.19d66ae254d5c651214e9de18f720b64.png

Twelve straight wins. Three goals conceded. Wow.

The start to the season, despite not having the toughest run, has been outstanding. Our shapes are holding up and we're looking strong attacking and solid defending. Our season started with the annual Pokal curtain raiser and we managed to hit ten against poor Norderstedt, with Jakub Janusch scoring twice on his competitive debut for the club. We've become so well rounded, too; six goals from corners, four from free kicks and eight from crosses - mainly those high xG low cutbacks - show that we aren't just a counter attacking team, despite seven from through balls and a - unreliable long term source - three from opposition mistakes. Bangura leads the way with along with Duran with seven goal contributions each whilst Reckert has found his scoring from from the VOL(s) role with four and a further two assists. In fact, sixteen different names have got themselves on the scoresheet this year so far: a true team performance!

It's all coming together very nicely. Die Werkself!

What a magnificent response to the change in shape. Name a better feeling than instant gratification of your tactical decisions in FM 

16 hours ago, Chris_ANZFM said:

What a magnificent response to the change in shape. Name a better feeling than instant gratification of your tactical decisions in FM 

I think that I've just added another bow to my collection and, for me, that feels great!

16 hours ago, Chris_ANZFM said:

Finding the gems is something that I’ve found a lot harder following the changes to scouting. But man it feels good when you find them. 

I feel like I'm reaping the rewards...

image.png.c51dc504027ee2ae54b09e8aba91ccc2.png

Yu Jae-Hoon popped up in my inbox with an €80k release clause! I like that - in the skin - I can tell that, technically he's underperforming his attributes, which are pretty strong anyway. He's the kind of player who I can bring in, polish and sell. But this is second tier Korea on their military loan system so there's much credit to the recruitment team for finding players like him!

15 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I think that I've just added another bow to my collection and, for me, that feels great!

I feel like I'm reaping the rewards...

image.png.c51dc504027ee2ae54b09e8aba91ccc2.png

Yu Jae-Hoon popped up in my inbox with an €80k release clause! I like that - in the skin - I can tell that, technically he's underperforming his attributes, which are pretty strong anyway. He's the kind of player who I can bring in, polish and sell. But this is second tier Korea on their military loan system so there's much credit to the recruitment team for finding players like him!

he seems a leathal waepon in the final third with his movement and passing would be a very good SS or IF

image.png.b385d9d753f3dbeb6c899eb0f971fff4.png

image.png.a59ea163d573be266c6576690aeb6f0e.png

image.thumb.png.3b41f45a6ad8fa643c89561a87ba27d7.png

We head into the winter break as one of only two unbeaten teams in top six leagues: of which it's mainly the Premier League that shows differences between real life now and in game now. Our season, despite a blip in the Pokal - where I seem unable to actually piece together any success - and a second string Champions League loss to Bayern has been largely overshadowed by the league routing of Bayern and a wonderful last gap win over Dortmund. It was Bangura's goal vs Dortmund (a clip far too long for Gyazo and, as such, one I've been unable to record and share for your viewing pleasure) that was the pick of them and really demonstrates the style that we are trying to achieve: conscious beating of the press before aggressive, direct and lethal counter attacking football.

There are, as you'd expect from a group performing like this, little in the way of weak links:

9c8e0cdc5112266a5ed4a6882e90e070.png

Injuries - such as those that have limited Nikolic, Sarier, Hannibal and D'Anzi - have been the continued tale of the season but, with the majority returning to fitness, I can continue my exploratory tactical journeys. Jordan Bangura continues to be criminally underrated by just about everyone as he leads the scoring charts and has created three goals, too. Reckert has found his scoring form and sits level with Krassnitzer and Nikolic on seven each. Loanee Matteo Pilíc - an emergency bit of cover for the gaps within the defensive midfield area has done well but, realistically, won't be kept on as my idea of developing Leipzig players for them doesn't sit too well with me.

My transfer business as I head into January, however, means there are significant changes within the team:

image.png.c038fb05c19cd7dc04e862a60983ff61.png image.png.cebff857d420ddead9cbba77a89da33a.png image.png.ad31c7c52edafe0b0360708e3786e997.png

Haris Besic - at €15m - is my record signing but a long term ball winner who will get minutes this season and allow Hannibal to live out his dream of retirement in the Middle East. Not ideal losing a Team Leader and, even less so with that being one of two team leaders to go. Ferhat Duran - completely unwilling to sign a new deal - moves to Barca for €20m, just days before they were able to approach him on a free transfer. It does secure them a good player now and, likewise - whilst bringing us more money (which we don't need) - leaves us with a gap now. In their places, two bosman deals have been agreed: Tornike Khuroshvili and Mladen MehanovicThe former spent last season on loan and is a tricky winger and the latter is an insanely talented attacking midfielder or striker who is taller than what I already have here.

Overall, the first team squad is pretty settled - both for now and into the future!

image.png.ac9f07682db4e9410d17db124da7c672.png

With news of us leading the German national team production and appearing on the top academies in the world list, you'd be spot on to suggest that the future looks very, very bright for us.

d05de0360e6630c3099cf51da8382279.png

These six players, Schulz aside - given his less than six foot frame and poor first touch and technique - are likely to be given more and more minutes as the season goes on as I look to see if I can improve on an already strong core of eight academy graduates within the first team.

image.png.18a6d49b1139a7b0b25a78b016b52ddd.png

You may notice that updates are becoming more sparse and less detailed and that's not necessarily coincidental. Whilst my next two games after I'd written the main body of this update did not go to plan: here and here, I'm finding that our successes have come at the cost of a little bit of immersion. I know I need to shake the Neverkusen tag off and win something - and, with CL football and league football all I have left, I know my what my realistic goal is - but I don't necessarily know what comes next, after that. Our squad is so aligned with my playing style and the amount of quality youth here means that I could pretty much never sign anyone else but that leaves me longing for the real intricacies of player development and tactical understanding. So much of my FM interest now revolves around tactical pieces - of which I've rarely dug into on a player by player basis - and player development, again, which feels somewhat linear and almost scripted given my immense facilities and strong starting points. Therefore, at some point during this (real life) summer, the Norseman could become the Norsemen as the son of Torbjorn provides me with the head coach job that I crave.

image.png.3fb5b225854ac03f6032608d56193b98.png

Only an idea, at present, but this is something I've never done before in terms of my gameworld but, in a way, mirrors my FM23 save where Alex Barreto moved from title winners Atalanta to a rather more meagre Argentinian side. This time though, it's family business!

8 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

image.png.3fb5b225854ac03f6032608d56193b98.png

Only an idea, at present, but this is something I've never done before in terms of my gameworld but, in a way, mirrors my FM23 save where Alex Barreto moved from title winners Atalanta to a rather more meagre Argentinian side. This time though, it's family business!

Are we talking about some kind of starting over situation here? But obviously in a vastly different game world. 

if so, I rate this idea highly. Something I’ve often thought about doing myself, but not yet had the chance to undertake. 

On 13/05/2024 at 20:10, _Ben_ said:

It was Bangura's goal vs Dortmund (a clip far too long for Gyazo and, as such, one I've been unable to record and share for your viewing pleasure)

For your information, I find Medal a perfect platform for longer clips.

Great update as usual, Ben. Looks like the team really clicked together.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Slipky said:

For your information, I find Medal a perfect platform for longer clips.

Great update as usual, Ben. Looks like the team really clicked together.

Thank you!

WIth that, please enjoy some Bayer brilliance...

https://medal.tv/games/football-manager-2024/clips/2dhDtgkobdSfBL/vPGvSGUPMq2R?mobilebypass=true

I don't know if that works, is accessible or even is viewable but I enjoyed watching it back again and again! The way we pull their press apart to get space for Hannibal, who can then progress it nicely is just beautiful! Bangura made the interception and then finished the move with a good twenty seconds between.

Edited by _Ben_

On 14/05/2024 at 02:20, Chris_ANZFM said:

Are we talking about some kind of starting over situation here? But obviously in a vastly different game world. 

if so, I rate this idea highly. Something I’ve often thought about doing myself, but not yet had the chance to undertake. 

I'm not sure. I think that it'd be a side chapter but yes, in the same gameworld. I don't know (as I've never tried) the impact of setting Torbjorn to be on holiday, for example. Would 'he' still be active if I set the DoF to transfer, assistants to train player etc whilst I moved to something new with the spin-off character? However, I've added and removed leagues as I've gone and I don't know whether I've got the right setup and history (important for me in terms of immersion) to do that, especially when the draw of a random league - like the USL Pro in American - with it's strange rules, would appeal to me in terms of stepping in as a 'head coach...'

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Thank you!

https://medal.tv/games/football-manager-2024/clips/2dhDtgkobdSfBL/vPGvSGUPMq2R?mobilebypass=true

I don't know if that works, is accessible or even is viewable but I enjoyed watching it back again and again! The way we pull their press apart to get space for Hannibal, who can then progress it nicely is just beautiful! Bangura made the interception and then finished the move with a good twenty seconds between.

Brilliant goal. Brilliant! Works perfectly. Glad I could help :)

Em 15/05/2024 em 17:55, _Ben_ disse:

Thank you!

Great goal. Love the patience on the build-up.

On 16/05/2024 at 04:59, _Ben_ said:

I'm not sure. I think that it'd be a side chapter but yes, in the same gameworld. I don't know (as I've never tried) the impact of setting Torbjorn to be on holiday, for example. Would 'he' still be active if I set the DoF to transfer, assistants to train player etc whilst I moved to something new with the spin-off character? However, I've added and removed leagues as I've gone and I don't know whether I've got the right setup and history (important for me in terms of immersion) to do that, especially when the draw of a random league - like the USL Pro in American - with it's strange rules, would appeal to me in terms of stepping in as a 'head coach...'

I can say for sure that I’ve been sacked while on holiday before. So that would strike me as “active”. 

I understand your uncertainty though. Feels dangerous adding/removing leagues when you’re already so deep. 

image.png.d6439abf7aa1073329c7168c0069cfa0.png

image.png.771b82ecefa7794d582e325c4c2033f5.png

image.thumb.png.a5c46ec38fe2a0a6224b3827978b3903.png

In a turbulent time for me, dogged with work and real life commitments, having the time to sit and truly enjoy FM is something that I long for. With further thoughts about 'where next' I have found myself in something of a chaotic cycle: winning and finding little joy in it, losing and finding little fulfilment in stopping it and developing things that - quite frankly - need a lot more time that I am currently able to put in. I think that the next steps in this game are key to ensure that I can continue finding solace in a game that I love so much but one that is really fizzling out some months before it usually does. That being said - there is a job to be done here. Maybe that job is made a little better by the shocker of a season that Bayern and Tuchel are having and the fact that Nagelsmann has already departed a lifeless Leipzig team for pastures new: the red side of north London. Or maybe it's that we've just been so good - two goals a game scored and a goal conceded every two games, give or take a little bit means that we're essentially just demolishing everything we touch - either with the 4231 shape or the amended 3421. 

With failure in Europe - albeit in a game that I expected little from - we have seven games to turn Nerkusen into Neverlusen and bring home our first ever Bundesliga title. After that, I'll take some time to think about the direction I go in.

image.png.42e130be5b1e7a1e0dfa80e1f31e6d99.png

image.png.086be6d6d144fa61c8fa27cb3957bb21.png

It's things like this that really make me proud as a manager and it's things like this that i play FM for. To have two of the best young players in world football - both developed in different ways: Vogel through positional training with specific rotating foci just at the club and D'Anzi with generalised youth training and a loan to the right club - I've expanded my horizons from the 'one size fits all' approach that I've often taken to this. To bring through two players, both from the academy, into the team so successfully is a great achievement - only  bettered by the notification I recieved, below:

image.png.abbdc562657efe0edfd3b3c71ee9a56d.png

First team players Bjorklund, Vogel, Reckert, Niklas Schulz, D'Anzi, Bangura and Nikolic were joined by Gundogdu Celik, Carlo Rezepagic, Joel Kahl, Janis Schulz, Ibrahim Cevik, Jakub Jakusch, Fynn Angerer and Mohammed Sulley as I flexed the quality of the academy between crunch European ties. Along with strong domestic performance, this group of players is also pushing for continental honours and, honestly, that's another reason why a move to a smaller job will scratch some proverbial itches. It's just a little easy with developing these lads. I've been the luckiest manager ever to get crops of players as good as I have and, actually, the youth intake, some of which can be seen below, has been a nice reminder of that project player.

Here, Terzi and Schulz could very easily become the attacking wing backs in the 3421 shape whilst Weinhart could develop into a nice rounded midfielder or even a more physical deeper forward. That kind of out of the box thinking hasn't been 'needed' with the quality of intakes I've had of late and I think, probably, that it's the most fun part of the game for me! I'd love to hear what people think about these three lads and how they'd develop.

image.png.a35e25929b22f655d4110b3ebea806f8.png

image.png.47f92c6c7902dd663f687f04b40acbf0.png

image.png.7e1bdd1553959764f2524d6e7b9c3c06.png

image.png.66c8ff43b0539d96170657a2585e8d7c.png

I think that my mind is pretty much made up now. It's a shame. As I press continue on my save, I can look back at the four years and ninety-three day tenure - so far - with immense pride. It's time to deliver Bayer their first ever Bundesliga title and then move to pastures new, with some man-made elements, such as me choosing my successor here. From there, I will force myself to re-enter the minutiae that is player development, tactical development and player performance with an added interest in creating a monologue that both builds a manager story and a picture of the league, to aid the reader.

I think, and I thought this last year, the top five leagues just aren't really for me. I love the chase more than the winner's champagne. But, I tell you what, I've built a team here that it's gonna take a juggernaut to stop!

Die Werkself!

Edited by _Ben_

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

that it's the most fun part of the game for me! I'd love to hear what people think about these three lads and how they'd develop.

image.png.a35e25929b22f655d4110b3ebea806f8.png

image.png.47f92c6c7902dd663f687f04b40acbf0.png

I love wing backs and these two at 15 look great. They should develop well. It will be interesting to keep an eye on them. 

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

I think, and I thought this last year, the top five leagues just aren't really for me. I love the chase more than the winner's champagne.

One of my biggest issues with FM. Once I’ve reached the peak it feels like I’m too good for the AI to then topple again. 

21 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Completely get you on the general ennui with the game. Very much set in for me too.

Do you think a change of scene is going to do it for you, or perhaps a wider break from the game overall?

I've got a really nice plan but it takes me to somewhere unfamiliar and I don't want to set myself up, write all about it and then find that - given that I'm adding the league - a whole load of unrealistic middle aged newgens with no history derail it for me! I'd feel that I couldn't step back but, annoyingly, it's going to be just as quick to play to that point as it would be to sim there.

21 hours ago, danielgear said:

I love wing backs and these two at 15 look great. They should develop well. It will be interesting to keep an eye on them. 

Yeah, but, as I tried to allude to in that post - they're not even among the best youngsters I have but will likely grow into top players with little work on them. The micro managing is what I miss when at really big clubs!

21 hours ago, danielgear said:

One of my biggest issues with FM. Once I’ve reached the peak it feels like I’m too good for the AI to then topple again. 

Yeah - agreed. I'd like to think Bayern will put up a fight next season but I'm not sure I'll be here to see it...