FM24 Feature Blog: Individual Player Targets and Interaction Logic

• Administrators

FM24_FeaturesBlog-BlogHeader-1034_600.jpg

Whether it’s your team scoring for the tenth game in a row, your robust defence keeping another clean sheet or your top prospect realising their potential, there’s nothing more satisfying than watching a plan come together in Football Manager.

There can, sometimes, be bumps on the path to glory. Slumps in form, standards dropping in training and player unhappiness can derail your plans and force a rethink in your approach.

So, in Football Manager 2024, you can now inspire your players to strive for more by setting Targets to elevate their performance levels. Alongside this, we’ve also made changes to the way you interact with your players and staff to ensure your conversations are realistic and constructive.

Visit the Football Manager Website to find out more about this feature.

I'm liking the idea about setting targets for players. Now it's not so binary in a lot of areas. And this added with the thousands of new interaction strings, should make this area of the game the best its been. 

I've highlighted 'should' as interaction AI is incredibly difficult to get right in such a complex game. However, what's been announced does look promising. 

This sounds great!
I have a question though: will player targets affect their mentality and tactical decisions? For example, if a player has a target for scoring a certain number of goals, will that make him shoot more often? 

Because if that's the case, that is HUGE - for example, you could set targets for one of your midfielders to score 10+ league goals in order to increase the frequency with which they'll run late into the box, while a the same time setting a clean sheet target for another midfielder to encourage that player to play more cautiously instead.

5 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

This sounds great!
I have a question though: will player targets affect their mentality and tactical decisions? For example, if a player has a target for scoring a certain number of goals, will that make him shoot more often? 

Because if that's the case, that is HUGE - for example, you could set targets for one of your midfielders to score 10+ league goals in order to increase the frequency with which they'll run late into the box, while a the same time setting a clean sheet target for another midfielder to encourage that player to play more cautiously instead.

Good question. And does this feature, overall, give players more incentive to work harder??

E.g if I give a player a target of reaching 7.0 in training, will that incentive him to work even harder (or the opposite effect, e.g demoralized)?

6 hours ago, SergeiG said:

It sounds nice and all but I think it's going to cause more harm than good, like the promise mechanic, which is broken and unusable to this day.

You know this all addresses a lot of the issues with promises right?

On 25/09/2023 at 11:22, gunner86 said:

The interactions is something that’s been begging to be fixed for a while, not exactly a new feature, but certainly very welcome.

Agreed. Engaging with players has been an unpredictable endeavor for awhile, fraught with disaster, and worth avoiding in a lot of cases. Tempering responses effectively may reintroduce this "role playing" element of the manager experience.

Edited by dankrzyz

• Jimmy Wong changed the title to FM24 Feature Blog: Individual Player Targets and Interaction Logic
On 25/09/2023 at 19:59, stopazricky said:

This sounds great!

Setting targets in contracts - as you could already for a while - does have influence. By setting specific goal, assist or combo of both you could encourage players to behave different. Many a selfish striker has been made into a team-friendly winger or AP this way by me. Especially the assist part is most definitely having an influence on players activity on the pitch. Goal-targets in contracts also have a clear influence as you will notice attackers getting busy especially towards the end of a season if they can still hit that goal for the juicy bonus.

• Jimmy Wong unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2023 at 10:03, gunner86 said:

You know this all addresses a lot of the issues with promises right?

On 26/09/2023 at 13:22, Dagenham_Dave said:

Well colour me surprised that you have a negative reaction to this!! 

I was right after all, it's as useless as the promise mechanic