Is there such a thing as too many TI's?

I'm still at Newcastle on the online game I'm in but currently sitting 17th (just above the relegation zone) the players I've got are good just I think I use a created tactics as downloadable tactics aren't allowed (for good reason) so do you think 3-4 PI in each segment will be ok not like having over 5-6 as Premier League players are use to having intense PI's or would it be confusing for them?

Edited by thefmveteran86

I don't think there's a thing as having too many, or too few.

I'm no expert but would say, it's more about understanding how they correlate with each other and how the individual demands impact each player in terms of their role and responsibilities. 

4 hours ago, thefmveteran86 said:

I'm still at Newcastle on the online game I'm in but currently sitting 17th (just above the relegation zone) the players I've got are good just I think I use a created tactics as downloadable tactics aren't allowed (for good reason) so do you think 3-4 PI in each segment will be ok not like having over 5-6 as Premier League players are use to having intense PI's or would it be confusing for them?

Having more isn't inherently worse, it's just that the more you have the more likely you are to have conflicting instructions or PI's that can interfere with the overall tactic and more scope to make mistakes

In other words, keeping it as simple as possible is always the best way...

In FM in general i try to have anything done via Team-Tactic and Player Roles and do not give any more instructions than that as i found additional PI disrupting the other settings.

I have never seen that i get more success with additonal PI settings, i only get more Player errors and tactical break ups that make me concede additonal goals.

• thefmveteran86 changed the title to Is there such a thing as too many TI's?

For me, there are two types of PIs

Tactical PI's (things like freedom of movement, moving into channels, trigger pressing and marking), which I dont change unless I change tactic

and skill PIs (things like shoot more/less, dribble more/less, take more or fewer risks with passing) which I will adjust on players based on their ability. If they are good at passing, take more risks, if they are bad at dribbling, dribble less etc...

A player’s teamwork attribute will impact his willingness to listen to your instructions, so it’s more about balancing the instructions with that. 

I do think that you can give them too much and that can hinder a tactic. For instance, an attacking mentality on high tempo with counters ticked in transition will likely wind up with a lot of forced passes leading to turnovers and your team being caught out more often. 

My Tactic contains 19 settings and it works.

Why does it contain so many settings - is more better than less?

Well, more is not better than less - but working is better than disfunctional!

As my tactic has it foundation in my philosophy of football and some roots back to the old CM days, when it was a sort of a 3-5-2 tactic.

I started playing FM with FM13, after playing a few seasons FM Online and getting FM11 (my very first SEGA-Offline-FM) when FM Online was closed, with FM13 i started seriously playing the series (b4 the EA FIFA Manager was more appealing but that one degraded more and more and i stopped playing it).

In FM13 the tactic setup was completely different to what you see today and there were many swiches and sliders etc.

Back then in FM13 i really watched whole matches the whole 90+ mins and changed things around to see how my players would react and after much time and testing and work i had a foundation of a tactic, called 4-1-3-2 that was an iteration of my old CM 3-5-2 tactic.

It works in every FM since with a very few adjustments and i wont change it bcs that is the way i want football to be played so the changes i make have the reason to recreate that tactic with the means each version of FM offers at hand.

That is why the tactic has 19 settings this FM, last FM it had 20 settings and the FM b4 it was 18 i guess - so there is maybe a role change and maybe a setting more or less over the years...

And yes, one change, even one wrong player can totaly bork your game and make you lose and one right change can make you win!

Edited by Etebaer

Yes! I had highest tempo and highest pressing etc etc but my 11-13 average skill players weren’t skilled enough to handle this. I conceded alot of chances and goals and couldnt win the swedish top division.

Then I reduced TI’s to not be extreme. Higher tempo and pressing but not maximum. Going so much better now winning the series conceding like half as many chances and goals from not losing the ball as much as before.

Edited by Dreambuilder